• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Huffington Post Interview: Timothy Olyphant On Raylan And Boyd's Dynamic, His Relationship With Winona And More
- TV Guide Interview: Graham Yost Answers Our Burning Questions
TVG: Ultimately, Raylan used his brain instead of his gun by calling in Sammy Tonin.

Yost: We felt that was satisfying without the guns going off and someone getting their arm chopped off. We can't do the same thing again and again, especially if we think we've done it at all well. In this case, we just thought this was a smart way for Raylan to eliminate the threat to Winona and the baby and not lose his job as Marshal.

TVG: Is there also an element of Raylan not wanting to let down his surrogate father Art (Nick Searcy)? He did give Raylan an ultimatum.

Yost: I think you're absolutely right. Also, if you think about it, [Raylan's] really splitting the difference between ... how Arlo [Raymond J. Barry) handled things and how [his mother] Frances handled things. Frances looked to be the conciliator and make peace and Arlo wanted to scorch earth. Raylan ends up finding that perhaps he exists somewhere in the middle.

TVG: I know you don't have Natalie Zea as a series regular anymore, but that last scene with Raylan and Winona seemed awfully charged.

Yost: I did not anticipate the level of emotion and love that we would find between the two of them in this last episode. We've so often played Winona as cranky and upset with Raylan. But even though it was because of Raylan that she found herself in a nursery with a gun to her belly, he managed to dispatch those guys and eliminate the threat. There was something there. And the long kiss they gave, that wasn't necessarily planned. That's stuff that developed. But I was surprised by the emotion between them, and it really gave me a feeling that we want to see as much of Winona as we can.

TVG: Last year, you said you saw the show running for six seasons. You've just been renewed for a fifth. Are you approaching next season as a setup of the ultimate ending?

Yost: We're going to plan on six and we'll see if there's any change to that over the next few months as we start to break stories. I'm sure the studio and the network would like more, but there are financial considerations and there are also big story concerns. We might find room for more, but we're not planning on that. We try to think of each season at a time, but at the beginning of this past season we were thinking in terms of, "What are the big moves we can do in [Seasons] 4, 5 and 6?" And while we don't by any means have it all laid out, there are at least ideas and rough targets of things we want to explore that seem to suggest six seasons.

EDIT:
- NY Mag: On the Set for Justified's Badass Season Finale
Jere Burns, who plays mobile-home mobster Wynn Duffy, came on set to shoot a confrontation with Walton Goggins’s Boyd Crowder later in the day. He recounted his own experience seeing how drastically things can change at the last minute: His character (“a psychopath with a dash of whimsy”) was actually killed off in the writers' room twice — once in the first season and then again in the second — but each time got a reprieve on his final filming day. He still sincerely mourns what would have been his season-two death. “It was this fantastic standoff in an office between me and Tim … Just three pages of ‘No, you won’t,’ ‘Yes, I will,’ ‘Fuck you,’ ‘Fuck you,’ ‘No, fuck you.’ ‘Oh really? Fuck me? I’ll tell you exactly how I’m going to fuck you … ’ Just back and forth and then bang! bang! bang!” Burns said. “The scene that we did instead was not as good, but I was alive at the end … I think it was probably Tim’s idea not to kill me. He has a lot of say. A lot of times his ideas are really good. Sometimes they’re not, and he’s still so cute and charming that it’s hard to walk away because he gets so enthusiastic. Four years in! It’s endearing.”

SO GREAT!!!

Pitts: As a matter of fact, during Colt's side of the scene, in the woods, I am just behind camera, doing my side of it, just as the next day, Ron sat in the back of the SUV, doing his side. I haven't actually seen it—I can't stand to watch anything I do—but I'll tell you this: I'm a pescatarian—haven't had red meat in four years—and as I drove home from work that day, I was so excited as to be desperately searching for some celebratory In-N-Out Burger. Fortunately for my diet, there was nothing that was terribly convenient, but thank god for Ron Eldard, is what I'm really getting at.

I think it was probably Tim’s idea not to kill me. He has a lot of say. A lot of times his ideas are really good. Sometimes they’re not, and he’s still so cute and charming that it’s hard to walk away because he gets so enthusiastic. Four years in! It’s endearing.

Haha, love that :D

Ruze789

Also, this show is different. The Winona/Raylan situation could have been played out for the entirety of the hour. That's how shows that go by the tried and true convention play things out. Instead with Justified at least, the shocker ending from the penultimate episode was resolved while the credits were still rolling. Admirable storytelling.

I felt the same way about it, I was pretty surprised that Raylan (and Winona) kicked so much ass so quickly.
I was really expecting much more of a drawn-out, "suspense" and threat filled encounter that we might see on so many other shows... and then Raylan just goes for it. So satisfying.

This was a great season ender. 50x better than Sunday's TWD finale, that one was so underwhelming it made the wait for last night's (pretty much guaranteed greatness) Justified even more brutal.

I didn't see Raylan's solution to the problem coming at all, was really expecting to see him go back and shoot Nicky anyway and then figure out how to wriggle his way out of some serious consequences. Surprised to see him actually really think things through like that.

"In the deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky" is always too much for me. I don't think those of you who aren't from there can ever understand. My family arrived in the 1700s and I'm the first to escape the hills. We were the first settlers in what became Prestonsburg, Floyd county. My great-great-great-great-grandfather murdered two men in Floyd county. At least four generations lived on the same little hollow, never escaping. My grandfather and grandmother's bodies now rest in the same cemetery as those two men that were slain 200 years ago.

For all I know, something will pull me back there kicking and screaming so that I finish my life where I started it. No other place in the entire world will ever truly feel like home for me. There is a longing, despite the fact that every visit is somber and depressing. I hate it, but it's woven in to my being. It's inescapable.

This is fascinating stuff. I know someone else who grew up in the same area who feels the same way about the show. Feels it's very authentic in a lot of surprising ways.

I don't think Boyd made her do anything she didn't want to. She chose to play outlaw for her boyfriend, now she's gonna be somebodies prison bitch.

As rich as Boyd is about to be, I don't think anybody's going to be mistreating Ava in the pen. I don't think she'd stand for it anyway.

xenist

I don't think Boyd made her do anything she didn't want to. She chose to play outlaw for her boyfriend, now she's gonna be somebodies prison bitch.

His "I respect your choices" bullshit was just that. Bullshit. The show has put Boyd in a position where he has spewed so much bullshit that I cannot trust a single word coming from his mouth. Raylan's talk to him in the car was spot on. "First you love your race. Then you love Jesus..." Anyway the man is a career criminal. He knows that in the end the cops win. Always. If you're a criminal you're gonna end up in jail eventually. If he really didn't want her to end up in jail he shouldn't have allowed her to get involved. He just wanted someone next to him that he could trust.

His "I respect your choices" bullshit was just that. Bullshit. The show has put Boyd in a position where he has spewed so much bullshit that I cannot trust a single word coming from his mouth. Raylan's talk to him in the car was spot on. "First you love your race. Then you love Jesus..." Anyway the man is a career criminal. He knows that in the end the cops win. Always. If you're a criminal you're gonna end up in jail eventually. If he really didn't want her to end up in jail he shouldn't have allowed her to get involved. He just wanted someone next to him that he could trust.

That's not really absolute in his world. Look at Mags Bennett. All you really need is one example to justify your hopes, no matter how seemingly unlikely.

Great finale, but I can't help but feel that Boyd was quite impotent this season. I'm sure that was an intentional direction of the showrunners, but man...one murder bringing all this grief to the Crowder gang... This is a dude who has built up quite the body count over the years. Why did he all of the sudden become such an amateur in this game?

I prefer cocky motherfucker Boyd to stuck-under-someone's-thumb Boyd.

xenist

That's not really absolute in his world. Look at Mags Bennett. All you really need is one example to justify your hopes, no matter how seemingly unlikely.

What do you mean look at Mags? She killed herself and her whole "business" crashed down around her. Her whole family died. The cops won eventually. She only stayed out of jail because she killed herself.

Burt

Unless you're Theo Tonnin. Also, I don't really think that I can comment on Ava's attitude in respect to following the law considering that even before Boyd, she was married to a Crowder. If anything, Raylan was a brief dip into the 'lawful' side, and her relationship with Boyd is much more representative of how she's led most of her life.

I do have to disagree with your assessment of what Raylan said in the car though. Raylan was telling Boyd how he only loves things that let him think that he's not the bad guy, as in 'doing God's work' or 'protecting the good, white citizens of America', but as soon as Raylan brings up Ava, Boyd immediately changes the topic of conversation. I felt that it was because Raylan just broke his whole argument by bringing Ava up, because Ava has never told him that they aren't the bad guys or acting for anything other than wholly selfish motivations, and Boyd didn't want to give even the sightest hint that Ava was up to her neck in his criminal enterprise at a time when she was so vulnerable. I think Ava's the first person who's taken Boyd for what he is, and that's why he loves her.

Or maybe Raylan was right and it made Boyd uncomfortable so he changed the subject.

Linius

Loved the finale. Great ending of a wonderful season. A bigger role for Sammy next season would be fun. And more Bob please.

And Jackie of course :p

xenist

I do have to disagree with your assessment of what Raylan said in the car though. Raylan was telling Boyd how he only loves things that let him think that he's not the bad guy, as in 'doing God's work' or 'protecting the good, white citizens of America', but as soon as Raylan brings up Ava, Boyd immediately changes the topic of conversation. I felt that it was because Raylan just broke his whole argument by bringing Ava up, because Ava has never told him that they aren't the bad guys or acting for anything other than wholly selfish motivations, and Boyd didn't want to give even the sightest hint that Ava was up to her neck in his criminal enterprise at a time when she was so vulnerable. I think Ava's the first person who's taken Boyd for what he is, and that's why he loves her.

Or maybe Raylan was right and it made Boyd uncomfortable so he changed the subject.

Ava was of use to Boyd. She was a person he could completely trust because everyone in his gang was either a fuck up or a snake in the grass. And Ava may not have served as some sort soother for his conscience but she represented for him the ends. The end game. The big house with the yard and the kids and the eventual respectability.

Which is not to say that Ava was some patsy. She went in this fully cognizant of what she was getting into. Just Boyd's limp protestations regarding her ever deeper involvement seemed to me more for show than real ones.

iTcGjh3FBP06W.gif

iErBx1vaFPp1t.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The Newest Nerdist Podcast is an hour long conversation with Walton Goggins. About 20 minutes in and it's mostly about Walton's (and Chris') experience on Rob Zombie's 1000 Corpses movie and Walton winning an Oscar for a short film back before The Shield.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Boyd is going to be in a pretty good place to help Ava next season. He'll be king of the heroin game for Kentucky. And you better believe he's going to start crossing some names off his list after being done dirty like that.

Count of Monte Cristo shit here, people.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Wasn't the storyline at the beginning of the season about him trying to sell it (splitting the profit with Arlo)

Raylan just didn't care about the house anymore and wanted it out of his life. I interpreted the final scene of this season of Raylan patching the hole where the bag was found and sitting outside viewing his families gravestones (including his) as a sign he was staying.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I Loled at Walton's Fake ID Name story. Going back to The Shield and Cletus Van Damme, Teenage Walton used Garth Snyder :lol

after horrible Walking Dead Finale.
this finale did everything right. I was really expecting Rayland to shoot him dead.

Team Winona wins at the end.

Can't have the Win without the Winona.

Ok, that was sucky, but holy crap was that episode awesome. The final scene with Nicky and Raylan was great. He gave him a shot.

First time in a long time Ava actually looked real good. Maybe it's cause she wasn't trying to work the 'sophisticated' look and looked normal. And Winona was awesome.

Mooney and Paxton are straight up fucking dead next season. Wonder if the preacher's sister will come back. Plus we need more Tim and Rachel.

Snake

Liked:
- Everything Raylan did.
- Nicky Augustine getting killed. Guy was a next-level douche.
- Jesus Christ, literally every-goddamn-thing Raylan did. In Olyphant's name I pray.

Didn't Like:
- Nicky Augustine getting killed. Guy was hilarious.
- The ultimate outcome of the Drew Thompson/Ellen May arc was pretty anticlimactic.
- What happened with Ava was too predictable for my liking.
- Snake priest :'(

Great season overall. Easily the second best of the series, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone who considers it the best.

I Loled at Walton's Fake ID Name story. Going back to The Shield and Cletus Van Damme, Teenage Walton used Garth Snyder :lol
Yeah, that was a great interview. It gave me the urge to go back and listen to the Tim Olyphant podcast as well.

I'm going to miss this show during the hiatus.

The atmosphere of the whole episode was great. The camerawork seemed a bit different. Many shots with dark backgrounds. Faces centered and in focus and edges dark.

Reading through the interviews all season, it's pretty clear that Timothy Olyphant is pretty big creative force. Seems like he was pushing for more screen time for Tim/Rachel, which is awesome.

Has he directed an episode yet? It's pretty much a requisite for the main character to director at least one episode on his/her show.

The atmosphere of the whole episode was great. The camerawork seemed a bit different. Many shots with dark backgrounds. Faces centered and in focus and edges dark.
Bill Johnson has directed four episodes of Justified so far, but not a too much else - mostly editing. They've mentioned recently that they tend to shoot interiors and at night a lot to mimic Harlan while filming near LA.
Has he directed an episode yet? It's pretty much a requisite for the main character to director at least one episode on his/her show.
Nope. Wouldn't be surprised to see him direct one before too long.

Solo

Pretty great finale to an overall awesome season. Really loved the final shots of both Boyd (heartbreaking) and Raylan (ominous). Show was back on form wonderfully this season.

S2 > S4 > S1 > S3

xenist

Why are you guys sullying the thread for a great show with talk of The Following?

With Winona out of the picture the coast is clear for Jackie to become a regular. Do you hear me, Yost?

Solo

2 little gripes about the same thing:

1. While I loved hearing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" again, its now weird that it has ended every season except for one. S3 really is the black sheep.

2. While I loved hearing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" again, I disliked that after using the Brad Paisley version twice, they used a different version this time.

Why are you guys sullying the thread for a great show with talk of The Following?

With Winona out of the picture the coast is clear for Jackie to become a regular. Do you hear me, Yost?

iUhi27k1RhVe2.gif

2 little gripes about the same thing:

1. While I loved hearing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" again, its now weird that it has ended every season except for one. S3 really is the black sheep.

2. While I loved hearing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" again, I disliked that after using the Brad Paisley version twice, they used a different version this time.

Well, nobody died in the S3 finale. Well, there was Tom, but that was in the episode before the finale.

Who's that in your avatar?

TVG: I know you don't have Natalie Zea as a series regular anymore, but that last scene with Raylan and Winona seemed awfully charged.

Yost: I did not anticipate the level of emotion and love that we would find between the two of them in this last episode. We've so often played Winona as cranky and upset with Raylan. But even though it was because of Raylan that she found herself in a nursery with a gun to her belly, he managed to dispatch those guys and eliminate the threat. There was something there. And the long kiss they gave, that wasn't necessarily planned. That's stuff that developed. But I was surprised by the emotion between them, and it really gave me a feeling that we want to see as much of Winona as we can.

What's that? Showrunner Graham Yost not saying a damn thing about Jackie Nevada!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom