• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 4 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via FX Press Release:
JUSTIFIED RECORDS ITS MOST-WATCHED SEASON EVER

Inclusive of Live+7 data for all 13 episodes, the fourth season of Justified was its most-watched season ever in Total Viewers, Men 18-49, and Adults/Men/Women 25-54. First-run episodes topped 4 million viewers avg. (4.1 million) for the first time ever.

From Live+Same Day to Live+7, Season 4 averaged gains of +74% in Adults 18-49 and +69% in Total Viewers. (see weekly DVR info below)

Compared to prior seasons in Total Viewers, Season 4 of Justified betters Season 1 by +20% and Season 2 and 3 by +4%. In Adults 25-54, Justified grew over Season 1 by +24% and +11% over Seasons 2 and 3.
Lots of people time-shifting these days, and it's good to see the continued health of Justified. I hope this ensures Yost & Co get to finish the show on their own terms when we get there.

Also, Yost did an Emmy Q&A that was moderated by Goggins last night. I watched a few minutes of it, and it was a great look at how Justified and other shows get made. The replay video should be up sooner or later for viewing.

This news makes me blissfully happy.

O5J4s.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Awesome news.

On a side note, I was hanging out with a girl in Cincinnati over the weekend and she happened to have some Ale-8-One. I didn't use it as a molotov, but it was delicious.

nashb81

Neo Member
This season started off pretty slow, but I liked it overall. Was bummed out by the absence of Duey Crow though. Hope he comes back for 5.

kirblar

This season started off pretty slow, but I liked it overall. Was bummed out by the absence of Duey Crow though. Hope he comes back for 5.
If I recall correctly, they wanted to use him but just couldn't figure out a way to do it this season organically. I'd be shocked if we don't have him back in S5.

Every time I've seen this thread on the front page since the finale I've clicked it in hope of a McShane confirmation b
Per the usual schedule, there probably won't be any casting news until late next Fall. Don't hold your breath for any info before then.
If I recall correctly, they wanted to use him but just couldn't figure out a way to do it this season organically. I'd be shocked if we don't have him back in S5.
They want him back at some point, but it sounds like they didn't want to shoehorn him into last season unless they had a good reason for an appearance. Same for Dickie Bennett.

Raxus

Funnily enough if The Following was a plot on Justified Raylan could have finished the whole thing in 5 seconds, give a smug as shit smile, and go to argue with Boyd some more.

gdt

God fucking damn this season wrapped up awesomely. They really know how to tastefully use any Raylan and Boyd together screentime. Their dialog in the car in the finale was fantastic.

I swear to God The Following has soured me on Winona.

Quite possibly one of the worst written female characters in quite some time. Say what you want about Winona, she ain't that fucking dumb.

Funnily enough if The Following was a plot on Justified Raylan could have finished the whole thing in 5 seconds, give a smug as shit smile, and go to argue with Boyd some more.

AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FUCKING BELIEVABLE.

- The Daily Beast: Scene-Stealer Jere Burns on ‘Justified,’ ‘Bates Motel,’ ‘Breaking Bad,’ and More

The parts on Justified:
That’s a trait shared by Justified’s Wynn Duffy, a mainstay of the show’s Dixie Mafia, who escaped the chopping block not once but twice in the FX drama’s early seasons. At first, said Burns, Wynn was supposed to be shot and killed at the end of his original two-episode stint in Season 1. “And by the second episode, they figured out a way to not kill him, as they sometimes do on Justified if they like a character,” said Burns. “They shot me in the shoulder instead.”

One season later, Wynn’s number came up again. “It was this showdown between Raylan [Timothy Olyphant] and I, a fantastic scene. The problem was that I died at the end of it,” Burns said. “And I think Tim was not happy with that scene that day, and as often happens on Justified, stuff gets rewritten on the fly. It’s a very collaborative show, in a good way. So that day, he didn’t die again.”

The show’s frequent last-minute rewrites also lead to Wynn’s most memorable moment: the scene early in the Season 3 finale (“Slaughterhouse”) in which the usually unflappable Duffy completely loses his shit as an exasperated Raylan plays Russian roulette with him to pry loose some needed information. “I got a call the night before we were to shoot a different scene, saying, ‘Can you come in three hours early? Tim wants to talk about that scene between you and him,’” said Burns. “Tim had found a passage in one of Elmore [Leonard]’s books that had a Russian roulette scene in it, and Tim pitched to me, ‘Instead of doing what’s here, why don’t we come up with something?’ So he and I created—mostly him, but we did it together—this scene. We sketched it out on paper and showed it to Dean Parisot, who was directing that episode, and one of the writers, and they said, ‘Great! Let’s shoot that!’ It played like gangbusters.”

As Justified’s fourth season concluded last month, Wynn revealed that the Detroit mob had put him in charge of its heroin business, and enlisted Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins) to run things for him in Kentucky. Does this mean that Wynn could finally become Justified’s Big Bad next season?

“It seems that way, but you never know on Justified,” said Burns. “It’s a cast of thousands and you never know how things are going to shake out. I might have had a bigger part last year, but then I got pneumonia, and then they were allowing me to go back and forth to Canada to shoot Bates, so I’m not really sure. But maybe next year will be Duffy’s year.”

Hey guys, my gf and I are about halfway through season 3 on Amazon Instant right now. Any idea when they'll put S4 up? Or any other places that we can watch it to get all caught up when the time comes? Thanks all! Fun show so far!

Hey guys, my gf and I are about halfway through season 3 on Amazon Instant right now. Any idea when they'll put S4 up? Or any other places that we can watch it to get all caught up when the time comes? Thanks all! Fun show so far!
You mean for free for Prime users? I'm not sure when that'll happen - perhaps sometime after S5 starts airing? You can buy S4 currently on Amazon Instant.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I always thought Boyd would be the Villain on the last season, but I see it now. Wynn Duffy will be the final Big Bad. Because there cannot be anyone better than Wynn Duffy.

Hindle

Banned
3 episodes in to this and it's brilliant. I like the mystery around the main plot. I can't wait to see how it unravels in future episodes, although due to issues I won't name, it's going to cost me money to find out :(

Edit. What's the cheapest place to buy Eps btw? iTunes they're £2:50 a piece.

I always thought Boyd would be the Villain on the last season, but I see it now. Wynn Duffy will be the final Big Bad. Because there cannot be anyone better than Wynn Duffy.

God, I hope not...if he's the big bad it means someone's gonna kill him, and I don't want anyone killing Duffy. I like him just where he is, sort of pulling strings in the background and keeping everyone guessing.

- Graham Yost on The Nerdist podcast
Nerdist Writers Panel: "Justified"'s Graham Yost

Graham Yost, creator and showrunner of Justified.

As part of Fast Company magazine’s “Most Creative People” issue, Ben Blacker interviewed the showrunners and creators of some of television’s most interesting and groundbreaking shows about how they’re carving out new territory in the business and creative worlds, and how these creatives are driving the zeitgeist. The issue is online at http://www.fastcompany.com/most-creative-people/ and on newsstands now.
- Warming Glow breaks it down: Graham Yost Discusses Drew Thompson’s Identity In ‘Justified,’ And What Could’ve Been

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I just finished rewatching season 4. They really killed it with so many of those openers. Highlight obviously being Arlo's fight. GET SOOOOOME! GET SOOOOOOOME!

Hindle

Banned
Just finished this recently.

In all the second best season behind S2.

The mystery was well done, and I liked how they made several minor characters central to the plot. Ellen May etc.

Any theories for the last two seasons? I'm thinking rather Boyd or Wynn will end up the head of the Detrioit mob at some point. Rather Ava or Winona will die, Boyd has an hand in Winonas death or Raylan accidentally kills Ava, setting them two against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom