• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT2| Taking Off the Training Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
this this this . that super group!

It can't be considered "super" without Jiyeon :(

Wqhkd.jpg

dlNwS.jpg

RVSWu.jpg

aAFT4.jpg

R41KR.jpg

Biscuits

Does Korean TV have some weird rule about visible brand names or something? Running Man sticks tape over any logo or whatever, even on the team clothes they are given.
Product placement is probably banned. But then again the FUBU logo was plastered everywhere on the latest RM episode so I don't know...

syoaran

Not a legal, but it saves face. If it looks like RM are trying to promote one brand over another, someone is going to call them out for playing sides.

Since the stars want to get paid CF jobs, they also try to downplay loyalty to a brand. Jihyo is not going to get a contract from Samsung if she is flashing her iPhone at every opportunity, for example.

Kdrama has product placement all over the place.

vanty

Not a legal, but it saves face. If it looks like RM are trying to promote one brand over another, someone is going to call them out for playing sides.

Since the stars want to get paid CF jobs, they also try to downplay loyalty to a brand. Jihyo is not going to get a contract from Samsung if she is flashing her iPhone at every opportunity, for example.

Kdrama has product placement all over the place.
Speaking of phones on RM, what's up with Jong Kook still using a flip phone? Really noticeable whenever they do a "call each other to organise teams and stuff" mission.

Speaking of phones on RM, what's up with Jong Kook still using a flip phone? Really noticeable whenever they do a "call each other to organise teams and stuff" mission.

I can't remember which episode but on Family Outing, the cast were trying to learn dance choreography from videos on a smartphone.
When they were done, KJK had a lot of difficulty trying to figure out how to turn the phone off: he just kept tapping every part of the screen lol. I guess he never bothered to learn how they work.
I've heard it mentioned more than once on shows that he's not that good with technology.

Alta1r

I'll be the special guest referee....

Edit: And if they get rid of my Boram from T-ara.....There will be blood....

Lol. Down.

Maybe they're only allowed to show logos from products that have paid for advertising.

I think it's this. They do this for international shows my mom watches too. They even go so far as to bleep a sponsor's name out if that sponsor hasn't paid to have their name said on American broadcasts, like "welcome back to -----'s Music Awards" and such. I know some sponsors also buy advertisement time only up to a certain date, so after that date you'll see the logo blurred out and the name censored out.

tumblr_m0pdm5LLLZ1r7posxo1_250.gif
tumblr_m0pdm5LLLZ1r7posxo2_r1_250.gif

Salazar

Kim Kwangoo commented, “I’ve had 30 years of experience and have done much with singers starting as rookies. After three years as activities as a singer, pride and laziness is effected. Stress becomes a bigger deal and it gets harder. You can’t win the competition with this type of mindset. This is what has ruined a lot of singers. If there’s no effort or there is no singing skills, the members will not be given parts (measures) to sing.”

Kim Kwangsoo also that to take T-ara onto another level and in order to develop the group further, T-ara’s music style and concepts will change, including the group members. More information will be released on April 7th.

Work idols to exhaustion and then call them lazy and boot them.

No words.

Ashhong

Lol, it's not like T-ara is the oldest group out there or something. How does he explain SNSD's hard work ethic and success? Wow..

Peru

Yes.. but this CEO is a vengeful asshole.. he would use his influence to block them whatever way he could. Best case is if he actually fired them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If all of T-ara split away from their current management, could they take their fan base with them?
It's inevitable, since they have one of the most fragmented fanbases. Nearly everyone seems to have their one or two members they like while declaring the others worthless.

Edit: Oh, I thought you meant split from each other, too.

magenta

Yes.. but this CEO is a vengeful asshole.. he would use his influence to block them whatever way he could. Best case is if he actually fired them.

Like JYJ then. Could they get the backing of another major label? That would help.

Bet Hwayoung get the cut, I don't see her contributing much compared to the likes of Hyomin and Eunjung.

Cookychan

Banned
Hwayoung's the most likely to go, mark my words.
lol has anyone else seen the DJTaku thing on Twitter? He said "fuck Jpop", he retweeted me and I got on Arama. People also got mega butthurt too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
One poor victim of KKS. The lovely sweetheart Soomi.

6vD6D.jpg

l9104.jpg

Xyc1A.jpg

vPlxr.jpg

rl5my.jpg

8JQmJ.jpg

"Remember when I was in 5doors? lol!"

9iMQ9.jpg

"I'm so glad I got out of 5doors so I could ditch the ajumma hair KKS gave me"

uW9UW.jpg

"Buyin snacks... because I ain't got shit to prove to that asshole"

Raiku

New m-flo is solid. Glad to see those guys back. Been longer than I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N6WvFh63Wc&feature=relmfu

lol has anyone else seen the DJTaku thing on Twitter? He said "fuck Jpop", he retweeted me and I got on Arama. People also got mega butthurt too.

Nah, didn't know about all that, but I do know he has his opinions about kpop and what it's doing to current jpop. I trust the guy though.

Rumored guests for today's Running Man filming: Han Ga In & Miss A's Suzy.

xB6U5.gif

T.O.P

Banned
Idol manager of 10 years discloses his memories of sasaeng fans

The issue of sasaeng fans have been put back on the chopping block after the recent controversy surrounding JYJ. One manager who’s been working for famous idols for the past 10 years recently met up with reporters to disclose his own first hand experience dealing with sasaeng fans as a career.

He revealed, “I really don’t even want to imagine it. When I wake up and open the door, there’s urine and feces on the floor, as if they’re marking their territory… Mornings should be bright and fresh, so think about having to start your morning with urine and feces. You start your day with stress.”

“Sasaeng fans that follow us around in taxis can be considered the mild ones since some have even barged into the dorm and stolen all of the food. Even if we change our numbers, they somehow find it out… they’re on the level of 007.”

When asked if he’s ever hit a sasaeng fan, he replied, “Honestly, I used to in the past. After the schedules are finished, hundreds of fans swarm in. One member even used to get pulled around by the hair. I had to block the members off before a bigger accident occurred. I had no choice but to use violence. Now, there are a lot of bystanders and fans that use cameras so you can’t do that anymore. I used to spray bug spray and even harsh swears, but it’s all of no use.”

How do the fans that were assaulted feel? He explained, “Fans actually feel proud about it, as I’ve seen some say, ‘I was even hit by our oppa’s manager.’ I know it’s not all of them that think like this but they do exist. Sasaeng fans think that violence and verbal assault is a way of getting closer to their favorite idol. Thus, it’s no use using such methods on them.”

He continued, “There are a lot of young sasaeng girls. When the idols come out after finishing their schedules, they’ll swarm in close and begin touching their private parts. They’re so young and yet they’re already sexually assaulting people. From the perspective of the idol member, it’s horrifying.”

“Once, I lectured the sasaeng fans that came to the dorm. Because they wouldn’t listen to a thing I said, I told them to bring their parents. They must’ve felt mad that I swore at them because they brought their parents back and framed me for being some drunk that assaulted an innocent student. Of course, in the eyes of the parents, they take the side of their daughters. I was reported to the police and put in a predicament where the victim actually became the attacker.”

On the controversy currently surrounding JYJ and sasaeng fans, he said, “There’s no excuse for the use of violence, but as someone that’s been in the same situation, I can understand what he must have been thinking. Dealing with urine and feces in the morning, receiving hateful texts, stalker calls… Idols also have to suffer at the salon and events. Once this accumulates, there’s only so much a human being can take before it all explodes.”

Concluding the interview, he stated, “Sasaeng fans transform with time. They are now a gang-like presence that transfers information from one to another. There are some that even trade money for information. Managers cannot be like the way they were in the past where they use violence. Celebrities are celebrities, but the managers are also dying here.”

Reporters uncover the dark truth behind the daily activities of sasaeng fans

Sasaeng fans have always been at the center of controversy in K-Pop culture, especially with the recent scandals involving JYJ. Reporters set out to get a deeper glimpse into just what makes up a sasaeng fan and what drives them to do the things they do.

On March 14th, reporters arrived in front of a beauty salon in Cheongdamdong, Seoul, a place that would normally be bustling with the extremest of sasaeng fans hoping to catch their favorite stars as they head out to work. The place was mostly empty, however, with the recent controversies with JYJ coming to light in the media.

One sasaeng fan named ‘Kim‘ (18) who was lingering in front of the salon expressed, “Ever since the controversy, everyone’s been trying to stay on the down low. However, we can never stop.”

Reporters also met with four sasaeng fans after circling the salons in four popular areas that celebrities frequent and sat down with them to dig deeper.

They revealed, “Popular stars have 500 to 1,000 sasaeng fans. Our names have to remain anonymous because if other sasaengs find out that we met with the media, we will be outcast.”

One sasaeng was spotted outside of an entertainment agency looking inside a van to check if a manager was in there. Immediately, she took out her phone and KakaoTalked her other sasaeng friends, alerting them of the discovery.

–

Kim (18) revealed that up until elementary school, she just watched the TV performances of her favorite stars. She bought their albums and joined their fanclubs, but was unfortunately an outcast in her own school, which led her to delve further and further into the fanclubs.

She later got into writing fanfiction about sasaengs falling in love with idols, sometimes even believing the stories to be real in delusion. In junior high school, she chased her idol down in a taxi for the first time, which was the start of her sasaeng activities.

She stated, “We have fun just with ourselves. As long as there is oppa, we believe that we are one.”

–

Jung (16) has been a sasaeng for five years. The areas she frequents are her idols’ dorm, practice room, and salon. Because she’s been in the culture for so long, she already has a group that she hangs out with and shares information through KakaoTalk. Her sasaeng friends immediately gather upon hearing her alerts.

Despite moving as a group, there’s fierce competition within the group for special and exclusive photos they take of their oppas. “We check each others’ blogs out and look at their pictures and blog entries. The more exclusives there are, the more views you get, so there’s a lot of competition.”

–

Lee (15) spends about $1,000 USD a month on her sasaeng activities alone, which mostly goes into paying for the taxis that chase her oppas down.

Renting out a sasaeng taxi for a day costs $300 USD. She saves money by working part time at convenience stores and comic book rental stores, as well as saving $500 USD that would normally go into her after school classes.

She revealed, “I heard that there is also a girl that prostitutes herself to make money for her sasaeng activities.”

Sasaeng fans usually sleep or spend the night at PC rooms. Some will even be homeless during the summer and skip out on school. Extreme sasaeng fans go as far as to drop out of school completely.

–

The sad reality is that there are taxi services, as mentioned above, catering specifically for sasaeng fans. These special taxis will speed as much as 200 km/h to chase after vans that idols ride.

Sasaeng taxis can be found waiting around outside of celebrity dorms or broadcast halls to catch newbie and desperate fans.

Kim (37), a sasaeng taxi driver of four years, revealed, “I charge $30 USD per hour. It’s hard to stop because you can make a lot of money out of it. I take sasaengs about two days out of the week.”

Other drivers charge $500 USD for nine hours of service.

Kim is already a favorite amongst some fans and many have been using his services for years. Some taxi drivers will actually text newbie sasaengs the whereabouts of their idols to get them to take their service.

The fans were then asked about the hatred and criticism they’ve been receiving since the scandal with JYJ came to light in the media.

Park (18) replied, “There are rules even amongst ourselves that we must keep. The fan that tried to kiss oppa broke one of our rules. I heard that that particular fan was assaulted by other sasaengs for breaking the rule.”

Park also revealed that she felt regretful about the negative view people had of people like her. “There is no way that oppas can be where they are now just by singing and dancing. We give them the support they need to get popular. Singers are celebrities. This is how they make money.”

–

As if all of this wasn’t already hard to believe, there are actual companies that fans can hire to spy on and watch over their oppas’ every activity all day.

One official of such a company revealed, “Sasaeng fans are stalkers. They’re not normal, they’ve mentioned killing someone, and even themselves. Some even ask us to find out what color clothes their idols wear to bed.”

One sasaeng even offered $100,000 USD if the company could steal her idol’s underwear.

Some creepy shit right there, i'm starting to unterstand JYJ's action :x

luso

Kim Kwangoo commented, “I’ve had 30 years of experience and have done much with singers starting as rookies. After three years as activities as a singer, pride and laziness is effected. Stress becomes a bigger deal and it gets harder. You can’t win the competition with this type of mindset. This is what has ruined a lot of singers. If there’s no effort or there is no singing skills, the members will not be given parts (measures) to sing.”

Kim Kwangsoo also that to take T-ara onto another level and in order to develop the group further, T-ara’s music style and concepts will change, including the group members. More information will be released on April 7th.

Wasn't this guy the one who said something basically as "fu*k Kara, I fully support DSP", when there Kara stopped activities due their overworking?

EDIT:
ibmH6KR6Dv2QlJ.jpg

I know, a little lame, whatever

Sorry for this next pic:
Mdt7V.jpg

Deadly

By the time they're like maybe 20-21 they better snap out of that shit or they're just totally batshit insane. I'm guessing the majority of sasaeng fans are teenagers. It's extremely sad they seem to get money from their parents for shit like this and the parents don't even question it.

Peru

leggylegs
AoBsqt2CQAAndCr.jpg

The official said, "Through this album, 4minute is trying for new music and performances with a different type of feeling. With their attempt at this experimental music, 4minute is expected to become even more charming."

"In order to let fans who have waited so long listen to the absolute best music, the time taken to prepare for the new album may have become longer, but you will be able to see all five members of 4minute standing on a stage together in April."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom