• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT3| HHHNNNGGG (JYP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
da fuck? she looks totally different. how much work has she had done over the years?

Allkpop comments are funny today:
D3SZD.jpg

Ashhong

da fuck? she looks totally different. how much work has she had done over the years?

I never know whether to attribute different looks to hair, makeup, or surgery.

Oh well, she looks damn good.

If Kwanghee isn't gay then I don't know what to think.

Wow. Never expected to hear that from you wing. And I don't believe it. I give it...3 days before you're back in full-fledged Taengoo worshipping, Taeny shipping mode.

Nah I don't reckon.. I had a SNSD-related dream the other week and it was all about jessica haha.

Still holding out for an Amber/Ren couple.

LOL, that'd be so damn awkward to watch

PS. I hate hyunas version of gangnam style, have to watch it on mute.

Cuddler

Apparently on the latest Shindong Photocard, he wrote on the back:

"You got my card, what to do... it can't be helped... I am sorry"

grrrrrrrrr, so called ELF who sell his photocard for every other member just don't understand the awesomeness!
Shindong>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every other member
for me

Here are the sales numbers for 2012 so far.. i've always been curious how some of the rookies have been doing so I thought I would post.

numbers are from http://gaonchart.co.kr/ and are up to date as of end of july/august 2012.

Digital Only (2012), First 4 Week Sales (with 1 digital aggregate = $0.003 USD)

Physical Sales (2012)

I've already posted the phisical sale, happy to see that Sexy, Free & Single is selling even more than Mr Simple. No digital number for Super Junior?

2Bic - Love Again (feat. Ailee) - $109,100 (Rookie)
2Bic - I Made Another Girl Cry - $55,900 (Rookie)

Happy to see that 2Bic are the best selling rookie.
digitally
:)

Dice

Nam Gyuri,
bitch who
got KKS to pay for her PS then left SeeYa in the dust.

magenta

The Economist has an article about some of the issue's facing the K-pop industry.

Top of the K-pops
Korean musicians must export or starve

Aug 18th 2012 | SEOUL | from the print edition

PSY (pictured, also known as Park Jae-sang) is having the time of his life. On August 12th at a stadium in Seoul, the rap star’s concert felt like the only party in town. He entertained 30,000 fans for almost four hours. And this veteran of the South Korean charts has suddenly become popular in the West, since the video for his song “Gangnam Style”, in which he rides an imaginary horse around a posh part of Seoul, went viral on YouTube. The track even hit number one on the iTunes dance chart in Finland.

Korean pop (known as K-pop to fans) is turning into an export success. Groups such as Super Junior and 2NE1 now sell millions of CDs and concert tickets in other parts of Asia. As K-pop zooms up the foreign charts, share prices of leading labels, such as SM Entertainment, have soared too.

But the outlook at home is less rosy. With the world’s fastest broadband connections, Koreans have embraced downloading. This in itself is not a problem, but the way they do it is.

In other countries, many music-lovers still pay for downloads, through the likes of Apple’s iTunes shop. Fans typically shell out at least 99 cents per track (and more in countries such as Japan and Britain). Of this, 70% goes to music labels and artists.

In South Korea, the market works differently. Subscription-based services, which allow the listener to rent music, are extremely popular. For a period of one month fans of rock and pop music pay a fee of around 9,000 won ($8) for 150 tracks. Such services have helped to drive overall music sales to 430 billion won in 2011.

Alas for labels and artists, however, their payout is miserly. Under subscription deals, they collect as little as 30 won per track. This must then be split between performers, writers and the label itself. SM Entertainment’s boss complains that even 1m downloads cannot cover the cost of making a music video.

The fear of illegal downloading keeps the average price per track of digital music low. That the subscription-service operators are a powerful oligopoly further reduces the labels’ bargaining power. Thus, SM Entertainment took in a trifling 1.9 billion won in domestic digital sales in the first quarter of 2012. By contrast, the firm sold CDs worth 3 billion won, despite the physical format’s supposed demise.

SM Entertainment and other purveyors of K-pop cover this shortfall at home by having their stars hawk the latest phone, or appear on television variety shows. The biggest labels have become adept at squeezing cash out of their pop stars’ names, rather than their music. But only a handful of musicians are famous enough to benefit.

South Korea’s old business model, perfected by its carmakers, was to use a captive home market as a launch-pad from which to invade foreign shores. The country’s pop musicians have turned this model upside down: they have to export their tunes to make up for meagre pickings at home.

http://www.economist.com/node/21560605

Dice

We had those prices for a while via Soribada but then they jacked it up to American song pricing.

Alta1r

You know, I never thought I was one that liked aegyo in real life, but I was talking to this girl the other day and we were joking around and she busts out some aegyo, calling me oppa and using that voice.

...I love me some aegyo. Damn my Korean roots. Must be just built into my brain.

Let me rephrase that. I agree, being called oppa and the one-on-one aegyo that comes up when I'm dating/flirting with a girl is fine. In doses. The made-for-TV, over-the-top aegyo is just grating, whether it's directed at me or I observe it otherwise. Particularly when it's a girl that's not attractive. That combo is why I especially dislike Sunkyu's aegyo. It's like Barney's hot/crazy chart: the hotter you are, the more over-the-top aegyo you can get away with. But I still prefer a girl with minimal aegyo.

6a0120a85dcdae970b01538e3ee72e970b-800wi

And this isn't important but I thought it was funny: a closet with Coach bags is practically nothing. Every girl I know sees Coach as the cheapest luxury brand. Not that impressive =P
Yea, the girls with real expensive taste look down on Coach. Shit is like training wheels when you are a baby and pre-teen and then immediately disregard once you level up your bag game.

Lol. Yeah, I used to joke around with an ex when I wanted to hang up the phone that if I stayed and talked and didn't go study I'd fail my classes and then would only be able to buy her Coach bags. Non-Korean girl, as it is.

How does she go from sexy as hell in the first two to looking like she just stepped out of a horror movie shoot in the next two?

tumblr_m8w1l4bjlC1rv0dpgo1_500.jpg

Alta1r

I wanted to point that out. but Alt will be in here shortly, i'm sure, to undermine my point.

Next i'll hear Guess is a luxury brand.

tdzvl.jpg

I agree that my generalization is very harsh, but it's pretty much like that where I live. Most of the Koreans here live in the suburb that's very close to the local K-town and that suburb is one of the more affluent suburbs around me, so it pretty much goes hand in hand. But most of them aren't really the shallow kind and live off their parents money kind of thing. My group of friends for example actually have jobs and they work so they can afford that stuff and live the good life while in college. Hell I do the same thing, but I'm not even close to being rich.

Where do you live?

Still holding out for an Amber/Ren couple.

tumblr_m7vhuboy771qgjyruo2_500.gif

This is what Hayoung will look like when she is older.

That's funny. One of my buddies the other pointed out that Hayoung looks like a certain race queen, I didn't think it'd be Hwang Mi Hee lol. Then I pointed out that Hayoung is in the jailbait crowd so his dreams were pretty much shot for now haha.

Where do you live?

Dallas. And before you ask, no, we don't ride horses to school. I've had that happen so many times out of state, it's fncking amazing to see what people think of North Texas. Apparently, we're either country bumpkins or oil barons. @___@

Alta1r

This is what Hayoung will look like when she is older.

Lol. Then wait till she's older to start goo-gahing over her.

Nah I don't reckon.. I had a SNSD-related dream the other week and it was all about jessica haha.

I don't even... wing, I thought we knew you..

tumblr_m36m5jKYQo1r7vtjoo1_1280.gif

Dallas. And before you ask, no, we don't ride horses to school. I've had that happen so many times out of state, it's fncking amazing to see what people think of North Texas. Apparently, we're either country bumpkins or oil barons. @___@

Lol. My stereotype of Texas is more large, mustached and eating copious amounts of meat at every meal. Errthing's bigger in Texas.

I know the coach bag discussion is old, but I want to add this to it. While it's not considered a high luxury brand, girls that know more about what actually makes a good bag enjoy Coach branded things more. The main reason is the production quality and quality guarantees are much higher than most other brands. They come with a lifetime guarantee on most of their bags. Many times my wife/sister-in-law have had their bags replaced entirely or replaced with a newer model because of very small damage to Coach products. They also make things that are often more classy or understated than other brands.

So if your primary concern is showing off a brand, yeah, it's not the best. But for girls who actually know a little bit about fashion and quality they don't look down on Coach. It's like looking down on Lexus for not being a Mercedes, even though they are cheaper to maintain and more reliable.

Ashhong

There are Koreans in Dallas? lol, are they pretty hot?

I know the coach bag discussion is old, but I want to add this to it. While it's not considered a high luxury brand, girls that know more about what actually makes a good bag enjoy Coach branded things more. The main reason is the production quality and quality guarantees are much higher than most other brands. They come with a lifetime guarantee on most of their bags. Many times my wife/sister-in-law have had their bags replaced entirely or replaced with a newer model because of very small damage to Coach products. They also make things that are often more classy or understated than other brands.

So if your primary concern is showing off a brand, yeah, it's not the best. But for girls who actually know a little bit about fashion and quality they don't look down on Coach. It's like looking down on Lexus for not being a Mercedes, even though they are cheaper to maintain and more reliable.

Maybe, but the amount of girls that buy bags for the "quality" is slim to none out of the girls that I know. They want the status symbol and fashion statement. Lexus and Mercedes is close comparison...but not quite the same.

giri

korean music festival, smtown, 2ne1 concert, big bang concert, (maybe) SBS Concert and now this? California is spoiled. So going to this. Possible autographs + a concert? fffffffffffffffuck yes

yah i realised what you were talking about after going back to IRC.

Lucky you guys.

i AM surprised they keep putting them on in socal though. I'd have thought they'd move one or 2 of them around.

Darkkn

Stumbled onto Younha from the Youtube recommendations and hot damn, Run[MV] is probably my favorite k-pop tune that i've heard so far... MV is totally a Woodkid - Run Boy Run ripoff though :)

I've suddenly fallen pretty deep into the whole k-pop thing... Watched most of SNSD related shows and now i'm really into Running Man, which is actually legit great game show. Should be brought into other countries as well.

Tried to watch some dramas and from quick glance, they are really cheesy and terrible :/

Ashhong

Well, socal probably has the highest audience for kpop in the USA.

Tickets start at 40 for the convention..I bet that's just to get in or something. Double that for concert tickets..

2San

Yeah, that's great like this! (I'm french) But please next time, don't come during exams period...!!! Next time I'll definitely go!
Meh, I'll go to the center and hug the railing Hyori leaned on I guess. :p
Stumbled onto Younha from the Youtube recommendations and hot damn, Run[MV] is probably my favorite k-pop tune that i've heard so far... MV is totally a Woodkid - Run Boy Run ripoff though :)
Yeah Younha is pretty good. The album where that single is on is really solid imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom