• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alta1r

And add Dallas to that list of cities. There's a really big Korean population here, not to mention the hundreds of transfer students that go to the various universities around here. Plus, they can use the Death Star(Cowboys Stadium) or the American Airlines Center(where the Mavs and Stars play) if there's enough demand but there's also a lot of smaller venues that can accommodate them.

Loll, no way in hell they could sell out Cowboys Stadium. Do American stars even sell it out?

Hey OC sorry I've been late on Nana, while my mom was cleaning the house she asked if I needed my second art portfolio anymore and I told her to trash it, forgetting that I had all my drawings in that one instead of the one I usually use.

Anyway, I lost all my drawings of SNSD, and the ones of Nana, so I've been trying to work on one for the past week during my free time. I'm halfway finished, I still have to complete the guideline of the hair, and tweak it a little first, then I'm going to start working on the shading (neck and face), fix the collar and then finish the rest of the details

CqNbt5G.jpg

Dayam. That is ridiculously good. Put me down in line for a Yoong pic.

If anyone is still interested in the 2013 Flying Petals calendar, she is having a clearance sale. You get a TaeNy photobook if you get the special set lol

http://kimtaeyeon.co.kr/bbs/zboard.php?id=2013_overseas

Flying Petals is a she?? I always thought it was a dude.

tumblr_mhg4hso6wq1qjnoe5o1_500.jpg

Peru

HOLY SHIT SISTAR19 GONE

That's an amazing song. It's rare that I can say I was blown away on first listen and mean it, but I sat there in awe. I couldn't even focus on the the video because the music streaming out was so good. What a seductive, super catchy, elegant song. All the adjectives used to describe 'Alone' in an even more instant package.

The horns, the harmonies.

Amazing.

Incredible.

Perfect.

Peru

You're deranged bro. This isn't a matter of taste.

The repeated 있다 없다s work amazingly as a rhythmical element, as lyrics, as sounds. This is the Brave Bro at his most sophisticated, and the same goes for both these members' vocal delivery. A new standard.

Peru

lol wat I don't even...

SISTAR19 SETS A NEW STANDARD FOR SEDUCTIVE POP

By Peru, Special to the KPOPGAF TIMES.

It's time to rewrite the history books.. Get the whole article and others like it for only 50$ a month. Read more and subscribe here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
SISTAR19 SETS A NEW STANDARD FOR SEDUCTIVE POP

By Peru, Special to the KPOPGAF TIMES.

It's time to rewrite the history books.. Get the whole article and others like it for only 50$ a month. Read more and subscribe here.
I guess I will elaborate... I know you don't give a shit about this stuff, but it is 100% vital to me: Musical variance and layers.

This song follows the most basic chord progression in the world. The old 4/4 Em C G D, which it simply repeats for the entirety of the song with no variance and barely any accompaniments. Probably the first thing learned by half a billion guitar players. There is simply no escaping this point. To you it may just be another song, but to me, trying to jam to this is like someone trying to explain to me how to walk.

I know this won't be true of everyone who plays instruments. After all, some people make careers out of playing this kind of stuff. I don't know how they do it. Music moves me, it elicits a response. I feel it not just emotionally but physically. There are correlations with my body and vocal chords and hands. I've learned a lot of tricks over the years, and what is interesting to me can be familiar, but it also needs some variance.

Ideally it would extend past my ability to do on my own, perhaps even a bit more than I can fully concentrate on my own. Simply listening to something like that feels like dancing with someone else, the roles of each layer intertwining and complementing each other. If I am in the band I feel where my part fits in, and if I am listening I can mentally hop between a few at a time and it's a wild ride. That's probably why I like stuff like sweetune so much. So yes, it very much is a matter of taste.

I also fail to see how the song is "setting a new standard" by doing the most standard things you can possibly do in a pop song. Even the bassline is just playing the chord progression completely flat in both melody and rhythm. Bless Hyorin for doing the most she possibly could with such a boring composition, but there is absolutely nothing special about the composition itself.

Ashhong

HOLY SHIT SISTAR19 GONE

That's an amazing song. It's rare that I can say I was blown away on first listen and mean it, but I sat there in awe. I couldn't even focus on the the video because the music streaming out was so good. What a seductive, super catchy, elegant song. All the adjectives used to describe 'Alone' in an even more instant package.

The horns, the harmonies.

Amazing.

Incredible.

Perfect.

I love when we share the same opinions. I love this song. Especially love the second verse when Hyorin joins in on Boras rap. They flow together perfectly.

Peru

I guess I will elaborate... I know you don't give a shit about this stuff, but it is 100% vital to me: Musical variance and layers.

You say this, but can you point to another song that sounds like it? That would make us go "yeah, this was done before", "this is old news"? I very much doubt it, unless you point to the qualities shared with 'Alone'. This is to my ears a sound not overused in kpop or anywhere else, and I'm not talking about about chord progression, isolated elements, but how they come together. If you can't show me the triteness as a whole then your argument is pointless. As I said basic bricks are used to build the most amazing constructions. The production is lush, but the restraint shown in the vocal melody, never letting it boil up to a draining climax, the ebb and flow - the echoes of 'itta eobta', this is what makes the song.

Why a song has to challenging to play in your imaginery jam session is beyond me.

As for 'setting a new standard' a guy has to be allowed to use some hyperbole.

Dice

This is to my ears a sound not overused in kpop or anywhere else, and I'm not talking about about chord progression, isolated elements, but how they come together. If you can't show me the triteness as a whole then your argument is pointless. As I said basic bricks are used to build the most amazing constructions. The production is lush, but the restraint shown in the vocal melody, never letting it boil up to a draining climax, the ebb and flow - the echoes of 'itta eobta', this is what makes the song.
What you are saying is that the things you like about it are different things from what I don't like about it. I'm not going to get into an argument trying to prove it's a bad song when I wasn't saying that. All that I said is there are different tastes and thus different people want different things out of songs and you are confirming that.

Why a song has to challenging to play in your imaginery jam session is beyond me
It's not about challenge, it's about being interesting. It feels like I'm walking in a square.

new sistar19 song is boring/10 at best

Agreed.

Didn't like the choreo either. It looked like they had really itchy assholes and were rubbing the on the bench to try to scratch it. Reminded me of my dog. It also had the hollowest sounding (boring) piano solo ever with some cheap overproduced bass drum follow up. They should fire their engineer because that entire section sounded like shit.

Edit: The more I listen to that solo the worse it is. It sounds worse than my cheap ass $300 yamaha digital grand.

Peru

What you are saying is that the things you like about it are different things from what I don't like about it. I'm not going to get into an argument trying to prove it's a bad song when I wasn't saying that. All that I said is there are different tastes and thus different people want different things out of songs and you are confirming that.

It's not about challenge, it's about being interesting. It feels like I'm walking in a square.

Well I was just joking when I said it's not about taste. That's ok.. but just to fish some more, you're saying a song has to be technically interesting, as craft, as a construction? You can't get enjoyment out of emotion, atmosphere, vaguer parameters? Is music simply an intellectual excercise?

Ashhong

Well I was just joking when I said it's not about taste. That's ok.. but just to fish some more, you're saying a song has to be technically interesting, as craft, as a construction? You can't get enjoyment out of emotion, atmosphere, vaguer parameters? Is music simply an intellectual excercise?

Did you just meet Dice?

Ashhong

I assume you've heard Tears? My favorite Leessang song.

edit: Sistar19 reminds me so much of Alone. Do any of you haters like Alone but not like the new song?

Hellix

Okay, I think I appreciate Sistar19's song more without watching the MV. It just made it look/sound too boring. I like it more after a couple listens.

vanty

I assume you've heard Tears? My favorite Leessang song.

edit: Sistar19 reminds me so much of Alone. Do any of you haters like Alone but not like the new song?
I love Alone but this song bores the shit out of me. Doesn't sound anything like Alone.

Dice

The song is heavily tied to the chord progression, and that greatly hinders the feeling to me. You can play off a repetitive chord progression in interesting ways, and in fact funk/soul music often does so off only two alternating chords. This song doesn't do that, it holds very closely to the very boring outline it gives itself and sets the whole of the production up front together rather than highlighting the strengths, so it's not easy to set aside.

While music theory does allow a person to explain what is going on, it's not an intellectual thing, all it is doing is explaining mechanics of why something may feel right and why not. As I said, this song feels like I'm walking in a square. Music theory can show that it's because that is the exact correlation to what is happening musically. My problem is the feeling, not the description of why that is the feeling.

I don't know precisely what it is that makes something interesting, but I have noticed that things I enjoy always go somewhere with what they are doing. That expression feels accurate, but what do I mean? Maybe that is chord progression, maybe that is melodic range, maybe it is interaction between layers, maybe it is simply a weight that doesn't remain the same through the entirety. I don't know.

However, one thing I do know is that I don't feel like this song goes anywhere. Whatever you are feeling so majestically, I am not at all. Whatever you feel it breaking through a mind-numbing kpop veil with surpassing emotion, I feel is playing by the numbers in a very prescribed manner. Want an example of something I like? I don't even need something professional or new.

http://youtu.be/WO4LMaxxp0Y

That is simple, and she sucks at playing piano and it affects her singing, and the song is way played out... but her tone and stress, the "ebb and flow" as you put it, the places she takes the melody and the nuance with which she does so with grace and power precisely where is needed, the genuine feeling of the emotion, it's all very good. She's even somewhat indecisive as she goes along because she's distracted by the piano playing, but it doesn't matter.

These all seem to be things you feel are in the Sistar19 song. I don't feel them, and as far as I can tell it's because of the heavy handed chord progression pressing everything through its mold. Lots of country and alt rock songs use that same chord progression but they play off of it very powerfully. Brave Bros chose not to or failed at trying. I am not seduced.

Peru

Well I really don't like 'Slow Motion' and that cover doesn't much for me either. Better than the original, probably.

I don't think the new Sistar19 is particularly 'emotional', I used that word as an example or as an umbrella term, not specifically to describe the song. The things I do get from it is a a restrained groove, elegance, melody. I don't go to the Brave Bro or ShinsaDude for raw feelings.

Loll, no way in hell they could sell out Cowboys Stadium. Do American stars even sell it out?

No. They couldn't fill it up all the way with extra seats during the Super Bowl a couple of years ago lol. But regular seats are always full though. I haven't been to a Cowboys game, but I was there when Manny Pacquiao fought Clottey back in 2010 and it was ridiculous... starting from ringside all the way up to the nosebleeds. I'm sure they broke the fire code that time.

Video was hot, but Ma Boy's video was hotter.

Regarding the song... I don't like it. It feels boring and there's nothing in the song that'll let my ears rest and just enjoy it throughout.

I agree with you Peru that the song is indeed really lush and it makes for an interesting production, but that restraint is the worst thing in this song... you said it yourself, "it doesn't boil up to a draining climax" but the problem is, there's nothing to boil up to reach that climax. And I don't hear/feel the chord progression in this song. It is indeed a very basic chord progression, but I don't hear it. I had to sit here and isolate the bass line just so I can hear some kind of cadence going on.

But, it's not a bad song though. Looking at it with a producers hat, I can understand why they went for it. The minimalistic production is supposed to draw the listener more into the song, but to me at least, I think they went off the mark here.

Music moves me, it elicits a response. I feel it not just emotionally but physically. There are correlations with my body and vocal chords and hands.

Holy shit me and Dice share the same opinion!

This is my benchmark for music and it's how I decide whether a song is good or bad. I realize that it's such a terrible benchmark to use, but music is an intrinsic part of my brain. My head, hands and feet will naturally tap to the beat, then I'm gonna start singing or audiating the lyrics or melody, my hands will either start playing air guitar or air piano or air whatever instrument and my feet will imitate the drum patterns. I've had people give me weird looks for doing all this while walking down the streets, and it takes a ridiculous amount of brain power to restrain myself from feeling the music... that's how bad it is lol.

Dice

This is my benchmark for music and it's how I decide whether a song is good or bad. I realize that it's such a terrible benchmark to use, but music is an intrinsic part of my brain. My head, hands and feet will naturally tap to the beat, then I'm gonna start singing or audiating the lyrics or melody, my hands will either start playing air guitar or air piano or air whatever instrument and my feet will imitate the drum patterns. I've had people give me weird looks for doing all this while walking down the streets, and it takes a ridiculous amount of brain power to restrain myself from feeling the music... that's how bad it is lol.
Yes. I can restrain that, but the important thing is that the listening experience is forever tied to the doing experience. That connection cannot be undone. And the doing experience is not merely a mechanical or intellectual thing, but you tie up all your emotions into that stuff. The feeling when you interact with the music and put your own expression into it, even if it's all laid out for you in sheet music, is a dynamic thing. I don't relate it to dancing with a partner for no reason. It's a ride, unity and exchange, weight and balance, general directions of movement with creative details, and lots of feelings throughout, which are vital to succeeding in what could surely be described in technical ways.

In what manner do people enjoy the elements of a song without this perspective from such experience? I have no idea. It's obviously different. It has to be. I'm not saying it is better or worse, but it is certainly different. Yes, there are still more vague things like atmosphere or swagger or whatever, but no song will ever find success on solely that with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom