• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

I like Girls' Generation and I don't give a FUCK.

3t4gURi.gif

NyoRx

I think that's what I just wrote. :(

I meant like western movies are typically over 2 hours long. I haven't seen a western movie that was 90 min in a long time. IDK about Korean movies but if they're sitting at about 1h50min, then it seems pretty standard to me.

ramyeon

The only issue I have with run time in movies is when they're unnecessarily long. Most mainstream Korean romantic comedies fail in the respect because they tack on an extra half an hour for seemingly no reason at all. It's not an issue when the story is engaging or the cast are good actors though.

This is also why I don't watch Korean dramas anymore, because most of them are essentially 16-24 hours to tell a story that could be condensed into a 2 hour movie.

dokish

Banned
The only issue I have with run time in movies is when they're unnecessarily long. Most mainstream Korean romantic comedies fail in the respect because they tack on an extra half an hour for seemingly no reason at all. It's not an issue when the story is engaging or the cast are good actors though.

This is also why I don't watch Korean dramas anymore, because most of them are essentially 16-24 hours to tell a story that could be condensed into a 2 hour movie.

Ah, now I get it what he mean.

Yes, I'm in the same place. Now if I don't like the first 2-3 episodes or if I can predict the outcome, I give up watching.

Surprisingly, 'My Daughter Lee SooYoung' has 43 episodes IIRC, and they are holding pretty well so far.

Ok, I just finished Time. I know there's some deep meaning behind all this, but it is 4AM, so please bare with me.

Can you explain why you liked it? Or why you think it is good...

I suppose the whole idea was
people living in loops? People changing their faces, but everybody is changing so much to be something else, that they became the same? I don't know... something among those ideas...

ramyeon

Ah, now I get it what he mean.

Yes, I'm in the same place. Now if I don't like the first 2-3 episodes or if I can predict the outcome, I give up watching.

Surprisingly, 'My Daughter Lee SooYoung' has 43 episodes IIRC, and they are holding pretty well so far.

Ok, I just finished Time. I know there's some deep meaning behind all this, but it is 4AM, so please bare with me.

Can you explain why you liked it? Or why you think it is good...

I suppose the whole idea was
people living in loops? People changing their faces, but everybody is changing so much to be something else, that they became the same? I don't know... something among those ideas...
I really enjoy the direction in Kim Ki Duk's films. This one is a fair bit less visual and more literal than a lot of his other stuff, but still the construction of it is quite interesting. Basically you start off with this couple who are for all intents and purposes, very happy with each other. In the scenes when they're together they're happy but there's a seed of jealousy planted in Sehee's mind and she can't really control it, she becomes obsessive and very possessive of Jiwoo and that's what leads to the story.

I really enjoyed the parallel between Jiwoo and Sehee, with the first half being from his perspective and the second from hers, with the other character largely MIA from the other's story.

Jiwoo is unable to pursue any relationship after Sehee and in typical Kim Ki Duk the physical world often times reflects the psychological state of the characters, so you have some odd stuff happening (Windows broken etc) that reflect Jiwoo's inability to let go of Sehee.

Sehee's plight is pretty interesting too, after she meets him again. I mean she's not really happy either way. At one point she asks him what he would do if "Sehee" came back one day. If he answers that he would go back to her she loses, if he answers that he would not she loses. She's literally competing with herself for his love.

After Jiwoo finds out the truth and goes under the knife himself it switches to Sehee perspective and it's really interesting to see her go through the same kind of pain that Jiwoo did. While at first she blamed him for looking at other girls she now finds herself in the same position, not knowing what Jiwoo looks like and making advances to many different men in hopes that it is Jiwoo (And in fact sometimes convincing herself entirely that it is, when it is in fact not; this is another example of that psychological state influencing the real world as she goes into a man's apartment and sees all these things that convince her he is in fact Jiwoo).

"Jiwoo's" supposed death scene is really sad because she has no idea whether this was or was not Jiwoo, he's already dead and there's no way to confirm or deny his real identity for her. Forcing her to live with the guilt and also the uncertainty at the same time.

The ending with Sehee bumping into herself in the past isn't literal imo, but essentially drives home the whole point of the film that the jealousy and mistrust is a vicious cycle and no matter how much you change your outside appearance the same person remains within so the same problems will always occur regardless. By focusing on the physical aspect of herself and ignoring the real problems within Sehee became self destructive and not only ruined her relationship with Jiwoo but also may have even led to his death, even by the end of the film it's hard to say whether she even realised that or not because she was just too far gone.

That and the whole scene with the cut out mask and the coffee shop. That was so fucking intense. And then the scene following that at the surgery clinic where the doctor and nurse both pick up the mask and try it on. God damn. I feel like watching this movie again.

Edit: As a testament to how good this movie is, I've gone back and edited this post about 4 or 5 times adding new stuff I think about after leaving and coming back. The thing is, this isn't even one of Kim Ki Duk's finest.

luso

Raina looks better in that solo shot. And Lizzy is looking great too. Uee's is awkward.

I give up on Korean movies. 90% of the time they are pure shit.

I have so many stuff in my HD and I always wanna discover something about Koreans, or perceive them in a new way, that I feel really bad to delete dramas or movies half-way through. But goddamn they are bad.

Well, probably 90% of ALL movies are not so good anyway, most are between average and bad.

About Kim Ki-duk's Time, I understood more or less as ramyeon said, although I'm not good at all writing reviews or an analysis essay, much less in English... But yeah, people don't really change whatever their appearance is, and besides the jealously, Sehee was also testing Jiwoo love for her, of course with purely selfish reasons.

The true soshi queen

iZ27yzghxO3js.gif

ibtrOAPlg69fne.gif

Pendulum

RAINBOW(레인보우) - SUNSHINE(선샤인) M/V Teaser
http://youtu.be/ye-QYLnvabs?hd=1

It's no A or To Me, but I don't mind it. To be honest, Tell Me has really grown on me over the last month, so I'll probably be happy with this too. Jerry, Jerry!

tumblr_lpp4xtztJs1qk2u4ao1_500.gif

Chris Brown's Twitter said:
Thank U T-ara N4 for spending Memorial Day wit me. @BigU1 @Damuer @coremidas I wanna see Korea soon!

jiyeon-black&white.gif

giri

sica is fire

if by fire you mean, burning poop. Sure.

Anyway.

was watching the pandora MV, and saw this YT coment

Jamne Stiles 3 hours ago
I really think this is the one of my favorite ladies dance groups in the whole world., If they where a size 12 shoe I have something that can relate with them. I can where a size 12 girl shoe.

Ym1r

Jessica's voice is really annoying and crackly, sometimes it sounds good, but then other times its so obnoxious. Tiffany's voice is a lot more soothing, and isn't so violent sounding. If Jessica can project her voice, it definitely would probably over take Tiffany as #2, but it's a shame she can't.

I don't know if that could ever explain it, but there's just a certain quality in Jessica's voice that just irks me, maybe hoarse I guess. Also not to start anything but just to chime in on voices, Hyorin is definitely one of the most overrated singers in K-pop, I guess the reason I'm bringing her up is because she suffers from the same stuff Jessica does, except kind of worse to be honest. It sounds like something is freakin' stuck in her throat all the time.

Also here are some real singers, on their best day anyway: Noel - I Miss You Live

Peru

Jessica is my favorite voice in SNSD. Taeyeon technically the best.

Aussies with Kara avatars can never be trusted.

ramyeon

Jessica's voice is really annoying and crackly, sometimes it sounds good, but then other times its so obnoxious. Tiffany's voice is a lot more soothing, and isn't so violent sounding. If Jessica can project her voice, it definitely would probably over take Tiffany as #2, but it's a shame she can't.

I don't know if that could ever explain it, but there's just a certain quality in Jessica's voice that just irks me, maybe hoarse I guess. Also not to start anything but just to chime in on voices, Hyorin is definitely one of the most overrated singers in K-pop, I guess the reason I'm bringing her up is because she suffers from the same stuff Jessica does, except kind of worse to be honest. It sounds like something is freakin' stuck in her throat all the time.

Also here are some real singers, on their best day anyway: Noel - I Miss You Live
ibkXeM8sAQ4C1x.gif

giri

Er really? I find her voice annoying.

Her voice is more painful than her face.

FannyThumbs.gif

Jessica is my favorite voice in SNSD. Taeyeon technically the best.

Aussies with Kara avatars can never be trusted.
nohighfive.gif

It's the nasal valley girl tone to her voice. It works in places. But it's why i skip sica ballads. They're just not my thing. Others seem to like them though. Each to their own.

EXO′s ′XOXO′ Receives 300,000 Preorders

EXO′s first studio album XOXO (Kiss & Hug) seems to be slated for success.

According to SM Entertainment on May 31, EXO′s upcoming album XOXO has received 300,000 orders during its presale.

The album will be released on June 3.

18949826.jpg

It is EXO′s first involving both EXO-K and EXO-M, a fact which has excited fans of both groups across Asia.

The number of preorders is a difficult one for even the most prominent singers to achieve in Korea.

In the meantime, EXO performed its new single Wolf for the first time on the May 30 broadcast of Mnet′s M Countdown.

It will continue to perform on the May 31 broadcast of KBS2′s Music Bank, the June 1 broadcast of MBC′s Music Core and the June 2 broadcast of SBS′ Inkigayo.

Photo credit: SM Entertainment

Source: http://mwave.interest.me/news/newsdetail.m?searchNewsVO.news_id=201305310941_37508

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom