• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Most comments on idol related things are high school students or younger. Once people get to university age their investment and interest into the idol scene really dissappears. Anyone in this thread knows more current Kpop idols than the regular Korean person of the same age. I can guarantee.

The issue with plastic surgery isn't as simple as it being good or bad. If someone gets surgery because they are unhappy with how they look and are doing to for their happiness and as a boost to their self confidence then that's fantastic. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

The problem is that this generally isn't the case there. There's a lot of social pressure to compete with others and looks play such a huge role in that. People feel they need to get surgery in order to compete with their peers and it's not always for them to improve themselves but to please others. That is an issue IMO and most of my friends who have had operations done have said they did it in order to get a job they wanted or because of what others had told or said to them.

Kyon

Banned
Most comments on idol related things are high school students or younger. Once people get to university age their investment and interest into the idol scene really dissappears. Anyone in this thread knows more current Kpop idols than the regular Korean person of the same age. I can guarantee.

The issue with plastic surgery isn't as simple as it being good or bad. If someone gets surgery because they are unhappy with how they look and are doing to for their happiness and as a boost to their self confidence then that's fantastic. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

The problem is that this generally isn't the case there. There's a lot of social pressure to compete with others and looks play such a huge role in that. People feel they need to get surgery in order to compete with their peers and it's not always for them to improve themselves but to please others. That is an issue IMO and most of my friends who have had operations done have said they did it in order to get a job they wanted or because of what others had told or said to them.

But even doing it for yourself still falls under the umbrella of doing it for others imo. In the end your image is still a big part of you in public. Either way if it makes you prettier and makes you fit in and get attention then that's cool tbh

ramyeon

But even doing it for yourself still falls under the umbrella of doing it for others imo. In the end your image is still a big part of you in public. Either way if it makes you prettier and makes you fit in and get attention then that's cool tbh
Doing it because you want to and doing it because you feel a pressure or requirement to is very different.

ramyeon

But isnt someone feeling ugly and wanting to have work done because of the public's perception of what beauty is?
Of course it is, but needing to get your eyes done or a professionally photoshop your profile photo for your resume being a necessity to get a job is ridiculous. Korea is so hyper competitive that this is almost always the case.

Everyone goes to good universities and gets the same education so in order to secure the position you need something else that the other applicants don't have. I've had friends that were comfortable with their looks but told to get surgery on their noses, eyes or jaws by their parents and peers in order to secure better positions in the workplace.

If you think it's not an issue and it's perfectly fine, I'm not going to try to change your mind. Keep thinking that. All I'm saying is I think it's a good thing that people are starting to disagree with the notion that everyone has to look the same and conform to the same ideal of plastic beauty to be considered beautiful in Korea.

Kyon

Banned
Of course it is, but needing to get your eyes done or a professionally photoshop your profile photo for your resume being a necessity to get a job is ridiculous. Korea is so hyper competitive that this is almost always the case.

Everyone goes to good universities and gets the same education so in order to secure the position you need something else that the other applicants don't have. I've had friends that were comfortable with their looks but told to get surgery on their noses, eyes or jaws by their parents and peers in order to secure better positions in the workplace.

If you think it's not an issue and it's perfectly fine, I'm not going to try to change your mind. Keep thinking that. All I'm saying is I think it's a good thing that people are starting to disagree with the notion that everyone has to look the same and conform to the same ideal of plastic beauty to be considered beautiful in Korea.

Oh I dont disagree. It's just with Idols I see why they do it so I dont have as strong as an opinion about it

ramyeon

Oh I dont disagree. It's just with Idols I see why they do it so I dont have as strong as an opinion about it
Oh I understand why idols do it too, although it's a bit sad that it's usually always one too many times. It's depressing though, I have a close friend who is a trainee with a music label in Korea and she's extremely talented, great natural looks originally as well. But she told me one night we were out drinking that she was really depressed because she has to get surgery to succeed in that field, which is her dream.

Few years later she got a load of work done.

Kyon

Banned
Oh I understand why idols do it too, although it's a bit sad that it's usually always one too many times. It's depressing though, I have a close friend who is a trainee with a music label in Korea and she's extremely talented, great natural looks originally as well. But she told me one night we were out drinking that she was really depressed because she has to get surgery to succeed in that field, which is her dream.

omg that's horrible. Is she feeling good about her new look?
NVM.gif

dokish

Banned
So... In 20 years the Korean female population is gonna be so irresistible good loking that people around the world are gonna come here to buy their wives.

I'm ok with that.

TheChits

Damn man, this is hard to read. :( I hope her dedication pays off

dokish

Banned
I just saw the pilot of "The Queen of Office" and I recommend that every single one of you watch this drama as soon as possible! Holy crap I never had this much fun since... "Still Marry Me".

The cast is composed by "mature" people, (i think) you don't have any idols or overly-famous people in there, so the show it's about the writing and the comedy.

The story basically is: A woman in her 30s starts at a new office as a contract worker (those short-tem jobs). But because she's being doing these in other places for God knows how long, she knows how to do EVERYTHING! Fixing chairs, using forklift, etc.

It's a Korean, more crazy version of "The Office", kinda... Not really... but still, pretty good. The characters are believable and the humor is top notch, they occur in the right moment, without over doing it.

I hope it keeps the great pace. I had a blast with the episode.

ramyeon

So... In 20 years the Korean female population is gonna be so irresistible good loking that people around the world are gonna come here to buy their wives.

I'm ok with that.
No comment.

Damn man, this is hard to read. :( I hope her dedication pays off
Yeah man it sucks, I hope so too since she's so talented. Age is always such a huge factor in Korea as well though, most women think that once they hit 30 it's the end of the world and she's in her late 20s.

I just saw the pilot of "The Queen of Office" and I recommend that every single one of you watch this drama as soon as possible! Holy crap I never had this much fun since... "Still Marry Me".

The cast is composed by "mature" people, (i think) you don't have any idols or overly-famous people in there, so the show it's about the writing and the comedy.

The story basically is: A woman in her 30s starts at a new office as a contract worker (those short-tem jobs). But because she's being doing these in other places for God knows how long, she knows how to do EVERYTHING! Fixing chairs, using forklift, etc.

It's a Korean, more crazy version of "The Office", kinda... Not really... but still, pretty good. The characters are believable and the humor is top notch, they occur in the right moment, without over doing it.

I hope it keeps the great pace. I had a blast with the episode.
Kim Hye-Soo is ridiculously famous lol. And Jo Kwon was in this one too. Haven't seen it yet though so I can't comment on it.

beatsan

Neo Member
This is so cool. I love the fashion styles and concept going on with this comeback. Luna's looking amazing too.

This is what I've been thinking too. Luna looks great with dark hair. I had to do a triple-take to make sure it was her. She looked great before but this really suits her. Everybody else looks amazing too.

F(edit): Teaser is at 1,114,188 views now

ramyeon

Went back and listened to f(x)'s releases up until now again in anticipation for the new album. Gotta say, their discography is pretty solid. The quality of their album tracks in particular when compared to other SM groups like SNSD. There are of course a few duds here and there but generally it's pretty solid.

No No Eul

Apink win again, this time on Music Bank.

Some crappy photos from the Sistar album I just got from Soompi, if anyone cares. The album is thick, so many pages.

Nice. I must get myself a copy.

@___@

Best.

On a related note, I see NicksonReyes has joined forces with Sheldon Kim to get KMDSubs going again. They've started subbing some of Crayon Pop TV Season 1.

Edit:

Clara at some sort of Sprite-related photoshoot or promotional event:

More.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is jisook gone

dont lie to me

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
SERA WHY ARE YOU SO PRETTY

I was jammin to C-Real on the way to work today.

Is Hyuna starting to eat again?

I was jamming to Orange Caramel on the way home from work today, and I heard Lizzy's nasal tone and the little inflections she puts on things and remembered how amazing Lizzy is and how cute concepts suit her best but she wants to be all sexy, and also remembered when she was on Running Man, then I looked in this thread and saw Lizzy and gifs from when she was on Running Man.

Lizzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom