• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Niks

Glad to see the typical creepy "You are my slave because I'm your fan! but I won't word it that way, but that's clearly what I mean because you owe me! you don't know I exist but you OWE ME!!!!" reactions here too. Not a GG fan but yeah, she has all the right to leave/do what ever the fuck she wants as a free human being, get over it, all idols do. Contract, yeah its shitty she signed the 3 year thing only to dip out a few weeks later but hey, that's life. Shit happens, new priorities get made all the time. If she found something she feels is more important than some fleeting pop group that most likely signed the contract for the ability to say "we lasted 10 years" let that shit rock.

Thing we always say in the J-pop sections, "Idols are not forever" some just bow out with a little less hassle than others lol.

talking high and mighty on an gaming internet forum, on a kpop thread with a anime avatar. Nice.

shes a young woman, who im sure is feeling a ton of emotions right now. why cant we give her a break?

what is important is that she chose to move on to greater things than gg. whether it was at the end of her contract or a day after signing it, she realized what she had to do NOW and we should not judge.

i wish luck, although i am sure she wont need it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
HOLY SHIT SOMEONE POINTED OUT THAT SICA IS OUT OF SNSD BUT STILL WITH SM

SM IS GOING TO CAPITALIZE OFF OF REACTIONS BOTH SIDES

#AGENTPROVOCATEUR #INSIDEJOB #ILLUMINATI #REDVELVET

Ym1r

That was like the first thing that everybody noticed in the article you nut.

#redvelvet

broz0rs

and you know SM is not going to cancel that contract lol #slavecontract #ireneistoodamnshort

Maybe, but why can't she have some time on the backburner? f(x) ran without Amber for a fucking year so why do they need Sica around so bad? They've done stuff a member... or two... or three short plenty of times because of all their side promotions. What makes Sica's so different from the rest? She may have told them what's up when it comes to what she can't sacrifice for the group, but they are obviously holding double standards dealing with her in ultimatums. She probably recognized that and that is why she feels she hasn't got her priorities off anymore than other members or SM artists who have dipped out of idol functions for side projects.

That's exactly what I was saying earlier.

If she can't do this, then let's take Sunny out of Roommate along with everybody else who's doing other things.

But eh it's whatever. What's done is done. If she comes back, good, if not, eh... RIP in peace SNSD.

#redvelvet
#teamirene
#teamseulgi

ev0

digging the irene love

140809-Sokcho-Music-Festival-Red-Velvet-Irene-red-velvet-37434537-1280-853.jpg

That's exactly what I was saying earlier.

If she can't do this, then let's take Sunny out of Roommate along with everybody else who's doing other things.

But eh it's whatever. What's done is done. If she comes back, good, if not, eh... RIP in peace SNSD.

Do you not understand that Sunny being in Roomates earns SM money? It's not a side job for her. That's part of being an idol. She earns money, her entertainment company earns money. Jessicas brand on the other hand, doesn't earn SM a single peso. In fact, chances are they will lose money because of it. Please stop comparing being in commercials, dramas, variety shows, etc with launching a design brand.

caesar

Banned
SM just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Korean culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Korea, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the korean public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any SNSD albums, nor will they purchase any of SM's other groups albums. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but SM has alienated an entire market with this move.

SM, publicly apologize and cancel Jessica leaving SNSD or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I know that's a reference to the FF post but seriously,

3rmMjrQ.png

lol

Peru

Well I'm done with SNSD.

For such a mighty company with all the right people to produce hit after hit they sure have some fkkn INCOMPETENT people in charge of the artists. Time after time again they seem incapable of negotiating anything worth anything. Like, what are they thinking here? It's worse that she wants to have some projects of her own while keeping on with SNSD, perhaps putting some ramen tasting pr stunt or two at risk, or that she's KICKED OUT setting SNSD on the inevitable slope to irrelevance? We know the Korean market reacts negatively to stuff like this and that SNSD now will never get back on top.

dokish

Banned
shes a young woman, who im sure is feeling a ton of emotions right now. why cant we give her a break?
A break from what, exactly?
Everyone is chasing the money to have a good livehood. Life is hard for everyone.

She breached her contract. You don't get unsatisfied from day to night. I believe she is a smart woman and whatever she was feeling, she ignored her feelings and made a commitment to be part of this group for the next 3 years.

I'm not taking any sides since I couldn't care less about SNSD ot Jessica specifically, I just don't get where this idea came from, that she was being screwed by SM (and only her, not none of the 8 other members).

Business are... serious business.

And to announce through Weibo was hilarious.

giri

Well I'm done with SNSD.

For such a mighty company with all the right people to produce hit after hit they sure have some fkkn INCOMPETENT people in charge of the artists. Time after time again they seem incapable of negotiating anything worth anything. Like, what are they thinking here? It's worse that she wants to have some projects of her own while keeping on with SNSD, perhaps putting some ramen tasting pr stunt or two at risk, or that she's KICKED OUT setting SNSD on the inevitable slope to irrelevance? We know the Korean market reacts negatively to stuff like this and that SNSD now will never get back on top.

Odd reaction.

The way i read the whole thing goes.

SM had a window for the next album. Everyone knew it (no one else seems to have a problem) and has accommodated it. Sica seems to have put her self in a position to directly clash, and refuses to co-operate, or it's in such a way that it's pointless.So they're doing the next round of promo's without her.

If the rest of the group piled on, it's probably because they all had this window left open, for this album / promo. And had other projects planned for other times themselves.

If Sica really has enrolled in a fashion / design school, particularly one in America, she can't exactly commute to work. The school probably has fixed semesters that she has to be there for to attend classes etc. Her choice, her priorities, that's fine.

Sica doesn't appear to be "booted" from SNSD. Just not in the next round of promo's. She still has her SM contract, and none of the translations say she's permanently out of the group, just the next SNSD promo's.

ramyeon

Odd reaction.

The way i read the whole thing goes.

SM had a window for the next album. Everyone knew it (no one else seems to have a problem) and has accommodated it. Sica seems to have put her self in a position to directly clash, and refuses to co-operate, or it's in such a way that it's pointless.So they're doing the next round of promo's without her.

If the rest of the group piled on, it's probably because they all had this window left open, for this album / promo. And had other projects planned for other times themselves.

If Sica really has enrolled in a fashion / design school, particularly one in America, she can't exactly commute to work. The school probably has fixed semesters that she has to be there for to attend classes etc. Her choice, her priorities, that's fine.

Sica doesn't appear to be "booted" from SNSD. Just not in the next round of promo's. She still has her SM contract, and none of the translations say she's permanently out of the group, just the next SNSD promo's.
The articles say that Jessica was planning to leave the group to pursue other pathways after the next album. Something happened between her, the group and SM that has caused that leaving date to move up to now, meaning she will not be in the next album as planned before leaving the group.

She's out. But still under contract with SM, which is not unusual for this kind of situation.

Seems pretty clear some kind of conflict happened with the 8 and Jessica, considering her Weibo posts (Which were probably done in an emotional state and then she realised it was pretty unprofessional) that say she felt betrayed by them.

Peru

Odd reaction.

Point is what leads up to a thing like this. Again and again SM have shown themselves incapable of being flexible enough or negotiating well enough to keep a group whole. Jessica may have said she wanted to focus on her own biz in the future but there really should be many ways of keeping the group going while getting her to plan her schedules around their activies. SNSD aren't active in concentrated periods for that much of the year. For one reason or other she's upset about what's happened and was probably willing to work with the group on keeping the ship afloat. Instead they'll all drown now. SM couldn't handle getting demands from a member for a change.

giri

The articles say that Jessica was planning to leave the group to pursue other pathways after the next album. Something happened between her, the group and SM that has caused that leaving date to move up to now, meaning she will not be in the next album as planned before leaving the group.

She's out. But still under contract with SM, which is not unusual for this kind of situation.

Seems pretty clear some kind of conflict happened with the 8 and Jessica, considering her Weibo posts (Which were probably done in an emotional state and then she realised it was pretty unprofessional) that say she felt betrayed by them.

Re-read them, you're right. So she was leaving anyway. Not "booted" really, just time tables wouldn't work.

Point is what leads up to a thing like this. Again and again SM have shown themselves incapable of being flexible enough or negotiating well enough to keep a group whole. Jessica may have said she wanted to focus on her own biz in the future but there really should be many ways of keeping the group going while getting her to plan her schedules around their activies. SNSD aren't active in concentrated periods for that much of the year. For one reason or other she's upset about what's happened and was probably willing to work with the group on keeping the ship afloat. Instead they'll all drown now. SM couldn't handle getting demands from a member for a change.

And if the other 8 members had plans outside this window that couldn't be moved? It sounds more like Jessica made plans in a window that was meant to be left open. If the other 8 have activities that can't be re-scheduled, it seems more on her than them.

And with her planning to leave anyway, it sounds more like her getting a head start on her next stage, than SM screwing her over.

Keeping in mind her plan to leave, delaying the album 6months may not have really made any difference, it may have been done as 8 by then anyway.

I'm not defending SM here per-say. I'm a big critic of most idol companies. But this particular situation, doesn't appear to be on them. Seems to be more on her. The fact that the other members seemed to pile on her about it, lend SOME credence to that.

We'll never really know.

DXPett1

SM have had it SOGOOD for so long and now that the impending future of SNSD going their separate ways raises its ugly head, they bury theirs in the sand trying to put off the inevitable.

So very childish

If it was a member disagreement, do you really think both Jessica and SM would continue the contract? Jessica, for emotional reasons wouldn't want that lingering over her head; SM wouldn't want to continue to $$ out royalties again & again for a non-participant.

This is SM basically shouting "IF WE CAN'T HAVE YOU, NOOOOOOOOO ONE CAN"

Peru

I'm not defending SM here per-say. I'm a big critic of most idol companies. But this particular situation, doesn't appear to be on them. Seems to be more on her. The fact that the other members seemed to pile on her about it, lend SOME credence to that.

Well they were wearing her clothes at the airport whatever that means.

giri

SM have had it SOGOOD for so long and now that the impending future of SNSD going their separate ways raises its ugly head, they bury theirs in the sand trying to put off the inevitable.

So very childish

If it was a member disagreement, do you really think both Jessica and SM would continue the contract? Jessica, for emotional reasons wouldn't want that lingering over her head; SM wouldn't want to continue to $$ out royalties again & again for a non-participant.

This is SM basically shouting "IF WE CAN'T HAVE YOU, NOOOOOOOOO ONE CAN"

Jessica, by the sounds of it, still plans to do solo activities. I assume she plans to continue with the Jungsis show. And the rumored sub-unit with Jessica and Krystal has more life to it now.

Peru

I don't know that. She still has a contract with them but I don't see her really doing anything unless the relationship is improved considerably. Her toxic message is still up. There are plenty of artists who have been signed to SM for years without any promotional activities.

giri

I don't know that. She still has a contract with them but I don't see her really doing anything unless the relationship is improved considerably. Her toxic message is still up. There are plenty of artists who have been signed to SM for years without any promotional activities.

I'm assuming, large assumption that it is, she'll want the free press for her fashion label. Having a reality show to pimp it on.

Peru

Yeah but I don't see SM giving her that now.

In summary, let us all have more determination.

Oh and OC really jinxed k-pop with this thread.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Your title lead to the craziest series of genuine controversies in k-pop history.
I am the one who thought of the topic, and for the first half of the year it seemed to be true.

imo we should all just blame that shitty guy group WINNER

disband plz
I agree. They somehow influenced me negatively backward through time. That is how bad they are. Same explanation for why 2NE1 has sucked for 2 years.

Selane

Yeah but I don't see SM giving her that now.

SM will 'give' her whatever makes them money. And the funny part of this whole thing is that based on their statement, you can tell SM was gonna sit on this until spring. Good thing Jessica actually posted something now.

Good for her for leaving, I have absolutely no idea why the other members want to stay with such a crappy company when they have as much money as they do.

giri

SM will 'give' her whatever makes them money. And the funny part of this whole thing is that based on their statement, you can tell SM was gonna sit on this until spring. Good thing Jessica actually posted something now.

Good for her for leaving, I have absolutely no idea why the other members want to stay with such a crappy company when they have as much money as they do.

lol. You can't think of any reason? None?

Cuddler

Wait, what? They kicked her out only because she has a side business? And the other members didn't defend her (judging by her weibo posts), unbelievable if true, there are people who did much worse than this in K-Pop and they are still there. If what SM said is true, they could have let her promote the next album with the other members and she could have left after that without damaging the group as much as it's happening right now. I still don't understand what is wrong about having a side business, SM doesn't own Jessica, she should be able to do what she wants outside of Girls Generation activities. Feel bad for her, it's terrible to see that the people that she thought they were friend after 10 years of work, weren't probably friend at all. Imagine Krystal randomly meeting the other members at work.

luso

About SM statement. It was months ago, well before launching the brand, that Jessica informed about her future plans (probable marriage or leaving SK, whatever). So since then negotiations went about it, and SM was already expecting her to leave next year.

Then her brand was launched. Probable this was without (any or just very partial) SM consent. It was a new thing on the table for and I'm sure SM wanted her to be exclusive to their activities.

In any case news came out they renewed their contracts. We just don't know the details, probable different for different people, but all signed. We just don't know exactly when was signed, only when the news was out.

At the surface, there was no single indication that she was (maybe) neglecting group activities. After Mr. Mr. and the tour, the group just got together only a bunch of times for performances and a few photo-shoots. Of course we can't tell if there were other invisible problems. But the point is that it wasn't perceptible from outside. It seemed it wasn't really affecting them as a group. Tiffany even said about Jessica's brand on Kcon (I think). If the members were displeased at that point, she wouldn't say it.

The negotiations reached some critical point. She arrived yesterday from NY apparently, to depart today for the fan event. It burst at dawn, she was shaken and emotionally unstable, she put the weibo as it was the only form to announce it. Maybe it was not the best choice nor the best words. She is not accusing directly other members, only that it was informed by SM and them (but here is not clear if they actually had any active role).
EDIT: Actually is good she put out some words before SM statement. I bet she was so angry that she had to put that before anything else. At least we have more than always dubious SM statements.
I don't believe they just ganged up as support partner for SM on this. They are also employees, SM employees, and as much they have probable some more liberty now, SM as the employer has the main power. They probable knew about that same time or just earlier that SM decided this outcome. But what they could really do? Leaving, to where? And by doing it breaching their just extended contracts? They would become outcast in entertainment industry, see JYJ. The other option is to put their heads down and accept it against their will and go on with their business.
Here are people saying "they are rich enough, why not leave SM?" Did you considered they want to do what they are doing? Is what rich people do, they still want to work and want to have goals, even if you earn 1 billion.

I agree that this is surely both parts faults, but again, SM is the strong partner as the employer, it has always the upper hand, specially in this industry in Korea. I believe the brand launch without SM getting some part of it has a big role on that, the part of affecting group activities not so much. Even in the brand information, there is no reference to SNSD or SM.
As for Jessica, I admit she was probably giving too much attention to that (adding the relevant support of her partner) and that fuzzed her focus.
In the end, SM was intransigent and again preferred to break others than bending. They prefer SNSD as 8 but under their total control than the much valuable group as a 9 with some signs of doubtful (on their eyes) obedience.
She is still under SM but the situation may become similar to some employees that get pushed into a corner and doing nothing. Let's see.
EDIT2: Actually, if her was so in fault that she screw up schedules, she would be out of SM, not only from SNSD. They are also punishing her for branching out with the fashion brand.

I sad for the the members, they will never be able to free express what they feel and what really happened. We just have so far a clean SM statement, and we will continue to have only that, aside the whole news and "news" that comes up. And they will have to proceed with the activities as if nothing happened, this is the most cringe worthy situation. Sad also Taetiseo comeback have to proceed with this situation (not to mention today's event!).

My dwindling interest on K-pop is now even lower after this, as I followed mainly SNSD activities, from now on it feels wrong and will be hard to get used to this. Time to give away.

Top Bottom