• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

llehuty

T-ara and Kara be like:

tumblr_nckwwn2j3F1ry9iugo1_250.gif

The fact that Mr Mr is gonna be the last song as OT9...

Now that I think of it, I would also leave a group if they forced me to perform that shit.

Maybe SNSD can do more full on dance sequences again now.

LMAO

Loci

It finally happened. Yai. Still surprised it took that long.

If they really kicked her out, then poor girl Sica.
All of them wanted to do individual stuff so I was really surprised they signed for another 3 years. But looks like #soshiband made them not have the balls to say 'fuck it'. The other girls probably talked her into continue for another promo cycle cause if one leaves the others gonna lose as well.

I agree what Dokish said. That's a heavy blow for SMent. Sica's cult gonna rage so hard. They will probably overcome it anyways because they are too big but whatevs.
The DBSK situation was really nasty, too.
__

More kpop idols should go solo:

JustinBB7

Now with the other members wearing her brand I wonder what's really going on.

Jessica crying doesn't seem to be like she wanted out either.. unless it's a "I fucked up" cry or something.

Are they even relevant as a group in Korea anymore? 4 years ago they were massive here, but now most kids I talk to have no idea who they are and prefer the newer groups. Most of the time I see them now it is doing solo stuff and I haven't seen huge group advertising companies for a while, like what they use to do with Lotte department store and LG.

Peru

Are they even relevant as a group in Korea anymore? 4 years ago they were massive here, but now most kids I talk to have no idea who they are and prefer the newer groups. Most of the time I see them now it is doing solo stuff and I haven't seen huge group advertising companies for a while, like what they use to do with Lotte department store and LG.

I doubt they don't know who they are. They're still the best selling girl group album-wise and one of the best selling digitally.

ramyeon

Yes they are. They're not at their prime anymore but they're still considered top tier. And I call bullshit on kids not knowing who they are lol.

giri

Jessica crying doesn't seem to be like she wanted out either.. unless it's a "I fucked up" cry or something.

Or the realisation it's over.

I'm sure there's lots of emotions going on.

I doubt they don't know who they are. They're still the best selling girl group album-wise and one of the best selling digitally.

It is mainly older kids who still remember them and their songs and showed any hint of caring when I said she had left today. Four years ago there wasn't a single kid who didn't know every lyric off by heart, now their fanbase seems much older and loyal compared to just widespread appeal.

Yes they are. They're not at their prime anymore but they're still considered top tier. And I call bullshit on kids not knowing who they are lol.

It is genuine, most of my under tens had no idea. it was the over tens who knew mainly.

ramyeon

She wanted out at some point, seeing as they were planning for her to leave after the next album.

These girls have been together through thick and thin for years and years, even if they fought and had a disagreement there's a lot going on under the surface that no one but the 9 of them even knows.

I think pretty much anyone would be extremely emotional after something like that came to an end.
It is mainly older kids who still remember them and their songs and showed any hint of caring when I said she had left today. Four years ago there wasn't a single kid who didn't know every lyric off by heart, now their fanbase seems much older and loyal compared to just widespread appeal.

It is genuine, most of my under tens had no idea. it was the over tens who knew mainly.
Still calling bullshit. I reckon I'd be extremely hard pressed to find a kid around 10 years old in Korea who didn't know who SNSD were.

They're still household names.

Peru

In some ways it's the opposite - as the groups have existed for years and been a part of the Korean mainstream with music, drama, cf, live scene for so long the demographics of people who know them gets more varied. I'm sure if you ask ahjummas to name an idol group nine times out of ten SNSD would be one of very few names mentioned - similarly they're still big enough on digital sales to prove they've got a presence among the main idol target market, even if say Sistar is bigger there right now and EXO's got more hardcore fangirls. I'm sure their standing will be hurt by this incident though.

She wanted out at some point, seeing as they were planning for her to leave after the next album.

These girls have been together through thick and thin for years and years, even if they fought and had a disagreement there's a lot going on under the surface that no one but the 9 of them even knows.

I think pretty much anyone would be extremely emotional after something like that came to an end.

Still calling bullshit. I reckon I'd be extremely hard pressed to find a kid around 10 years old in Korea who didn't know who SNSD were.

They're still household names.

Like I said mostly. I teach some 200 kids under that age. the younger you go the less likely they are to know them. And most kids who still remember them mainly remember Gee.

In some ways it's the opposite - as the groups have existed for years and been a part of the Korean mainstream with music, drama, cf, live scene for so long the demographics of people who know them gets more varied. I'm sure if you ask ahjummas to name an idol group nine times out of ten SNSD would be one of very few names mentioned - similarly they're still big enough on digital sales to prove they've got a presence among the main idol target market, even if say Sistar is bigger there right now and EXO's got more hardcore fangirls. I'm sure their standing will be hurt by this incident though.

Yeah, i would agree with that. It just seems to me that now they are more relevant as a Korean instiute and for their personalities as opposed to being a pure musical group. I miss the days of kids dancing around to their songs, now they are more interesed in a pink ㅠㅠ

giri

Like I said mostly. I teach some 200 kids under that age. the younger you go the less likely they are to know them. And most kids who still remember them mainly remember Gee.

Not to pile on here... but can most kids under 10 really name all that many bands/groups anyway? Honestly..... i think i would have really struggled.

Not to pile on here... but can most kids under 10 really name all that many bands/groups anyway? Honestly..... i think i would have really struggled.

haha, fair point. When I really cared about k-pop a few years ago I use to have great discussions with my students and they would know a lot. Now I haven't really talked that much about it so only know what is popular by the songs that they sing.

That is why I was asking if they were still relevant as a singing group. I never here anything from the kids about them these days, and the reaction was just meh when I told them the news. All they care about these days is A-pink.

giri

haha, fair point. When I really cared about k-pop a few years ago I use to have great discussions with my students and they would know a lot. Now I haven't really talked that much about it so only know what is popular by the songs that they sing.

That is why I was asking if they were still relevant as a singing group. I never here anything from the kids about them these days, and the reaction was just meh when I told them the news. All they care about these days is A-pink.

You should talk to them more then. A-Stink suck.

SNSD are still the biggest money makers for girl groups in k-pop. The brand/members are still really sought after. But they don't promote as much or as hard as they used to. They aren't as active on variety. And they certainly don't pump out as many songs as they used to.

Girls Day. A-Stink. AoA. all more "modern".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sony does make good low-mid range headphones. I really prefer their usual sound profile out of all the department store type offerings and the build quality is usually pretty nice.

You should talk to them more then. A-Stink suck.

SNSD are still the biggest money makers for girl groups in k-pop. The brand/members are still really sought after. But they don't promote as much or as hard as they used to. They aren't as active on variety. And they certainly don't pump out as many songs as they used to.

Girls Day. A-Stink. AoA. all more "modern".

Cheers for that answer.

I really wish i was in to k pop more. 2010-2012 seems to have been my golden era.

ramyeon

Yeah, they're more than just a singing group now and they also only promote briefly like once a year these days so there's that too. They are still household names and big sellers though, that is what I assumed you meant by relevant. Young kids are always going to be more into whatever is happening in the here and now though, especially those under 10.

Ym1r

Maybe the 8 other members realized Jessica's passion was no longer with SNSD but with fashion (and her love life) and they wanted to make her realize it by agreeing to kick her out and relieving her from the SNSD duties so she could focus on herself, but because she wanted to do everything, felt betrayed instead.

Classic k-drama misunderstanding amirite? huehue.

dokish

Banned
Why people keep pointing the members wearing freaking glasses? They are all friends, is her brand, they all got it for free AND I'M NOT SURE, but I THINK, there's a chance they all wore the same shit in previoud photos, maaaaaybe.

Shizuka

That's on you for not shaking your head and whipping your hair on the I GOT A BOY MV, Sica.

Joke, I never thought we'd see the day where there'd be an eight-member Girls' Generation.

Ym1r

Why people keep pointing the members wearing freaking glasses? They are all friends, is her brand, they all got it for free AND I'M NOT SURE, but I THINK, there's a chance they all wore the same shit in previoud photos, maaaaaybe.

Them wearing Jessica's stuff still still means ot9 just in a different way. Like I said I'm sure they agreed to kick her out to make Jessica realize what she really thinks is important in her life. I don't think they don't want her in SNSD, they are just acknowledging that she has different priorities and want her to focus on them instead of soshi.

just k-drama things.

edit: according to that twitter post: not k-drama things rip ot9 forever

isuzu

SM is so dumb. They really need to learn with Japan how to milk the cow properly.

All they needed to do was tell Sica to wait 1 more year, then they would announce SNSD's end and go the Zone way. Make a Dome + WW tour, dress them all like brides and release a best of cd with 4 cds, one of them filled with solo songs. Make a goodbye photobook and dvd with their best moments together and corny stuff like that. name it "the power of 9". make a fucking documentary. idk.

SM is so dumb. They really need to learn with Japan how to milk the cow properly.

All they needed to do was tell Sica to wait 1 more year, then they would announce SNSD's end and go the Zone way. Make a Dome + WW tour, dress them all like brides and release a best of cd with 4 cds, one of them filled with solo songs. Make a goodbye photobook and dvd with their best moments together and corny stuff like that. name it "the power of 9". make a fucking documentary. idk.

Add to all that an album with solo performances by every member, do it a special live and sell the blu rays. Like the Marchen Fantasy last year.

Laieon

I think I might be seeing Girl's Day on Thursday night at some free show at a college in my town. I've never really listened to them, what are their best songs?

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
I think I might be seeing Girl's Day on Thursday night at some free show at a college in my town. I've never really listened to them, what are their best songs?

I gotchu brah. their best songs, in order:

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-FUZPic2E

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpl2CaCnVA

#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUtGJtyoIfg

#4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7ZG7yk5Wo

Their other songs are kinda just... there. They're listenable but these 4 are their best songs.
giri was/is in disbelief. sica is his fav member so I can see why he doesn't want to believe that.

I gotchu brah. their best songs, in order:

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-FUZPic2E

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpl2CaCnVA

#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUtGJtyoIfg

#4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7ZG7yk5Wo

Their other songs are kinda just... there. They're listenable but these 4 are their best songs.

giri was/is in disbelief. sica is his fav member so I can see why he doesn't want to believe that.

List needs more Control and Don't Flirt.

Top Bottom