• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Slowdive

Banned
Hello. This is SM Entertainment.

We are offering our position on the words on Jessica's Weibo posted today.

This coming spring, due to her personal situation, she has notified us she will halt her team promotions with the release of one [more] album.

Despite Jessica's sudden notice, the agency and the Girls' Generation members tried our best and tried to figure out a way that Girls' Generation's activities can continue in the best possible direction.

However, in the midst of insufficient clear negotiations regarding conflicts of differences in priorities and interest, Jessica started her fashion business. Due to this, despite ongoing talks, it has come to a point where the team could not be maintained.

Thus, the agency had no choice but to pull up Girls' Generation's activities as 8 members earlier than planned, and in the midst of while working out when to announce this, Jessica had posted her words early this morning.

From here on, our agency will continue to support and manage the 8-member Girls' Generation and Jessica's individual activities.

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2014...tement-regarding-jessica-and-girls-generation

luso

SNSD won't be the same after this. Unless further information changes things, I am 100% on Jessica's side.
Agreed, SM after all is the bigger side on this. And this may be one of those situations where neither side gave and things escalated until blew up. An end.

Niks

SM said:
This spring, Jessica herself said that due to personal reasons, she would stop group activities after one album promotion. With Jessica's sudden words, the company and Girls' Generation members have been continuously thinking and working hard to have Girls' Generation promote in a good direction (this line confused me while tling, so apologies if it doesn't make sense). Recently, Jessica started a fashion-related business while there were lacking mediation in orders of priority with Girls' Generation's promotions and interests. Despite continuous discussions, we've gotten to the point where the group cannot be maintained. We couldn't help but decide to move up Girls' Generation promoting as 8 than initially planned. During the announcement and process, Jessica made her posts today at dawn, her time. The 8-member Girls' Generation and Jessica's individual activities will continue with unchanged support and management."

Ym1r

Ya fuck you guys saying it wasn't jessica trying to prioritize herself over the group.

All she needed to do was be real on her weibo post.

Just say, snsd comes 2nd. But she couldn't even be honest.

luso

Ya fuck you guys saying it wasn't jessica trying to prioritize herself over the group.

Just say, snsd comes 2nd after. But she couldn't even be honest.
One side of the story, even if true.

damisa

Except nobody said this...

First, I wouldn't trust anything SM says. Secondly, even if it was completely Jessica's decision, she owes us nothing. I still support her decision 100%

Honey Bunny

Just say, snsd comes 2nd. But she couldn't even be honest.

Yes thank you SM Entertainment for telling us what really happened
dPrJaGc.png

Ym1r

I don't know how many times I have to explain this but. I am NOT on SM's side, and I'd fully support Jessica.

I just don't like the fact that she said GG was her life and priority when clearly it wasn't

This is my like 4th time saying that.

Lol there's both sides to this story and taking SM words as plain fact is just wrong tbh.

Remember what they said about Sulli? Taeng and her Bacon? TVXQ and JYJ?

There's a shred of truth there, I'll give you that but to fully trust SM's words... come on y'all... y'all have been in the K-Pop game longer than I have and the first thing I've learned while being here was to take everything with a grain of salt, especially if it's coming from the companies.

Clipse

Why sign a 3-year contract and then decide to bow out after one more album promotion? Could have easily avoided all this bullshit by not re-signing in the first place.

Ym1r

Lol there's both sides to this story and taking SM words as plain fact is just wrong tbh.

Remember what they said about Sulli? Taeng and her Bacon? TVXQ and JYJ?

There's a shred of truth there, I'll give you that but to fully trust SM's words... come on y'all... y'all have been in the K-Pop game longer than I have and the first thing I've learned while being was to take everything with a grain of salt, especially if it's coming for the companies.

Though in this case you could clearly see Jessica's intent by her actions.

dokish

Banned
SM just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Korean culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Korea, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the korean public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any SNSD albums, nor will they purchase any of SM's other groups albums. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but SM has alienated an entire market with this move.

SM, publicly apologize and cancel Jessica leaving SNSD or you can kiss your business goodbye.

magenta

At first I thought this was just the rumour mill running into overdrive but damn its really happening.

Hitch yourself to that investment banker Sica and never lose a full nights sleep again.

Why sign a 3-year contract and then decide to bow out after one more album promotion? Could have easily avoided all this bullshit by not re-signing in the first place.

That's why something else clearly happened that made SM act that quick without even thinking how to handle it.

luso

Don't forget the "as 8 earlier than we thought". In these 3 additional years SM expected it, maybe marriage. SM knew it why blow it now?

Kabuto

SM won/lost 2014 with the amount of news they've made this year.

Kris, Sulli, and now Jessica damn.

This is honestly an end of an era.

Fafnir

SM is a scumbag company, but I'm siding with them on this. Sica signed a contract with them and should have honored it.

There's nothing that was shown in J&K show that gave me any kind of confidence in her being a business owner or even a fashionista. It's just a dumb "business" decision by Sica. Have to pick and choose your battles and she chose wrong. Whatever money she makes from Blanc, she would have made 100x more if she would have swallowed her pride and did what SM asked of her for her contract period. After the contract is over, then go full out on Blanc, I'm sure SM would have helped with product endorsement if she kept good relations, but now that bridge has been burnt.

The member with no Y in the name is gone.

Niks

Im going to side with Ym1r.
All I know is Sica disregarded the other 8 members plain and simple. End of story.

Pretty laughable she ended it all through a weibo. Insane.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ym1r just wants her to keep it real and say FUCK THE POLICE when that is what she's doing. I can understand that. I wanted Nicole to be more real, too.

Let's open a contest for OT6's title.
We wanted it to be

|OT6| Thank you for love

To honor EunB & Rise and acknowledge that appreciating idols isn't entirely meaningless. However, maybe another suitable option would be...

|OT6| GG

Im going to side with Ym1r.
All I know is Sica disregarded the other 8 members plain and simple. End of story.

Pretty laughable she ended it all through a weibo. Insane.

Not that insanely stupid if you think about in all of this, it's her fault, really bad business decisions all together.

dokish

Banned
Jessica might be gorgeous to some, but it wasn't a GAF consensus that she was a lazy fuck and was constantly half-assing performances and all? How many gifs and videos we had here of Jessica simply not following at all the choreo? Or having a shitty face for an interview while all the other members were trying hard?

She's Ice Princess for a reason, can't discard that. SM might be a big company but they are not controlled by one person or the same group I'm sure. They probably have tons of small groups responsible for different parts of their stuff, and I don't think one group manages all their artists.

Ym1r just wants her to keep it real and say FUCK THE POLICE when that is what she's doing. I can understand that. I wanted Nicole to be more real, too.

We wanted it to be

|OT6| Thank you for love

To honor EunB & Rise and acknowledge that appreciating idols isn't entirely meaningless. However, maybe another suitable option would be...

|OT6| GG

I like the idea of acknowledging in the title that both members passed away. Maybe RIP EunB & Rise could work. Or maybe something more poetic.

dokish

Banned
Btw, never saw the original MV for I'm Fine, Thank You, but I suppose they altered it?

Is this the original song? Damn is pretty good. The vocal in the back near the end, I like.

Dice

I like the idea of acknowledging in the title that both members passed away. Maybe RIP EunB & Rise could work. Or maybe something more poetic.
I know it was just EunB who said it, but it just seemed so fitting. In every way, from other times she made statements, it seemed she genuinely meant it deeply. That is why it seemed right, because it was about the idol/fan connection that this thread is but also in view of the fact it may only be for a short precious time, as it was with them.

Btw, never saw the original MV for I'm Fine, Thank You, but I suppose they altered it?

Is this the original song? Damn is pretty good. The vocal in the back near the end, I like.
It didn't have an MV before. It was a b-side on Pretty Pretty, but it was fitting to the nature of supporting Ladies Code and honoring EunB and Rise in their passing that kpop fans streamed it to help them reach #1 in the charts to fulfill their dream even if postmortem. After that, the company decided to make the memorial MV using the song.

Glad to see the typical creepy "You are my slave because I'm your fan! but I won't word it that way, but that's clearly what I mean because you owe me! you don't know I exist but you OWE ME!!!!" reactions here too. Not a GG fan but yeah, she has all the right to leave/do what ever the fuck she wants as a free human being, get over it, all idols do. Contract, yeah its shitty she signed the 3 year thing only to dip out a few weeks later but hey, that's life. Shit happens, new priorities get made all the time. If she found something she feels is more important than some fleeting pop group that most likely signed the contract for the ability to say "we lasted 10 years" let that shit rock.

Thing we always say in the J-pop sections, "Idols are not forever" some just bow out with a little less hassle than others lol.

Ym1r

Glad to see the typical creepy "You are my slave because I'm your fan! but I won't word it that way, but that's clearly what I mean because you owe me! you don't know I exist but you OWE ME!!!!" reactions here too. Not a GG fan but yeah, she has all the right to leave/do what ever the fuck she wants as a free human being, get over it, all idols do. Contract, yeah its shitty she signed the 3 year thing only to dip out a few weeks later but hey, that's life. Shit happens, new priorities get made all the time. If she found something she feels is more important than some fleeting pop group that most likely signed the contract for the ability to say "we lasted 10 years" let that shit rock.

Thing we always say in the J-pop sections, "Idols are not forever" some just bow out with a little less hassle than others lol.

Yeah, but the least she could do is acknowledge her shifting priorities, and not point at SM like they completely fucked her shit up. Sure they may have given her the ultimatum of, it's either SNSD (us) or your business. But when it comes down to it, she chose one (herself) while pretending to choose the other.

catmincer

All of this. It's not like it ended up like T-ara.

Glad to see the typical creepy "You are my slave because I'm your fan! but I won't word it that way, but that's clearly what I mean because you owe me! you don't know I exist but you OWE ME!!!!" reactions here too.

What? With news like this the thread is moving fast and I may have missed some posts. Please quote the posts where people react like this.

broz0rs

Byux1a6CcAEvhcf.jpg

this was deleted, but I'm getting the impression she was forced out by SM because she wasn't prioritizing SNSD duties. It's not as if she wants to leave SNSD, but given the choice of staying in the group and cutting back on her fashion business or focusing on her fashion career, she would choose the latter.

Dice

Yeah, but the least she could do is acknowledge her shifting priorities, and not point at SM like they completely fucked her shit up. Sure they may have given her the ultimatum of, it's either SNSD (us) or your business. But when it comes down to it, she chose one (herself) while pretending to choose the other.
Maybe, but why can't she have some time on the backburner? f(x) ran without Amber for a fucking year so why do they need Sica around so bad? They've done stuff a member... or two... or three short plenty of times because of all their side promotions. What makes Sica's so different from the rest? She may have told them what's up when it comes to what she can't sacrifice for the group, but they are obviously holding double standards dealing with her in ultimatums. She probably recognized that and that is why she feels she hasn't got her priorities off anymore than other members or SM artists who have dipped out of idol functions for side projects.

ev0

So Jessica is the CM Punk of KPOP?

I'm not sure who I'm siding with, kind of a crappy situation overall. A shame for SNSD. I wouldn't mind seeing them perform as 8 still, but I wonder how the crazier fan base feels.

It's good for Jess to do what she wants, but as all of you have stated, why sign a new contract? Or be more real about it.

Ym1r

Maybe, but why can't she have some time on the backburner? f(x) ran without Amber for a fucking year so why do they need Sica around so bad? They've done stuff a member... or two... or three short plenty of times because of all their side promotions. What makes Sica's so different from the rest? She may have told them what's up when it comes to what she can't sacrifice for the group, but they are obviously holding double standards dealing with her in ultimatums. She probably recognized that and that is why she feels she hasn't got her priorities off anymore than other members or SM artists who have dipped out of idol functions for side projects.

Who knows? Situations may have been completely different. Maybe they felt it was necessary to pressure Jessica into making her decision fast because they needed a straight answer?

Top Bottom