• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

No No Eul

Website and countdown for DSP's next girl group, April.

Do we even know who is in the group (I guess that's what the countdown is for)?

Officially, I guess not, but if the group consists of anything other than the five remaining members of Baby Kara, I'll be pretty surprised. And disappointed.

The logo conjures up something A Pink-like, but Somin would be wasted on that :(

Yeah... It's kinda inevitable though. Most of them are still pretty young.

At least they'll have time on their side. Plenty of opportunities to try different concepts (I hope).

Edit: That countdown timer has just had four hours added onto it lol

Congrats to soshi on their 100th win!

Channel SNSD - Taeyeon Teaser

Party
Win

Gee accounts for probably a 20% of those wins, when there was a lot less music shows than now. Inkigayo did'nt had a chart system during the IGAB era, Music Core just after that and SM boycott against Mnet for almost 2 years,etc.

#WhenWillYourFaves
#WhereAreYourFaves #AyyLmao
CKHUIX2UsAA6aVr.jpg:large

"Channel Soshi" will be aired from July 21st to September 8th"

Bonus Yoong <3

neoism

Congrats to soshi on their 100th win!

Channel SNSD - Taeyeon Teaser

Party
Win

Gee accounts for probably a 20% of those wins, when there was a lot less music shows than now. Inkigayo did'nt had a chart system during the IGAB era, Music Core just after that and SM boycott against Mnet for almost 2 years,etc.

#WhenWillYourFaves
#WhereAreYourFaves #AyyLmao
CKHUIX2UsAA6aVr.jpg:large

"Channel Soshi" will be aired from July 21st to September 8th"

Bonus Yoong <3
graphics-numbers-538087.gif

lol tae<3

Pendulum

Eh? Now I'm no Snoop fan but I don't see him pretending to understand Korean. Going by that logic then most international fans of Korean music shouldn't be able to judge artists ;)

I was being flippant 'cos without watching the show, it's Snoop Dogg outta nowhere. I know he can judge things like stressed rhythm and style without understanding the rhyme and word play.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Best random Snoop Dog moment for me, will always be Epic Rap Battles of History when suddently Moses is getting high. Otherwise...It's Snoop. I think he can judge. I mean....he's a legend. Sure he can't judge the flow...but...It's Snoop!

sca2511

Did a Google search and didn't find a k-drama thread for community. Didn't know where else to ask this.

My SO and I finished watching Reply 1997 and there is a song on episode 8 that she remembers, but can't put a name to. She mentions that she remembers it from Reply 1994.

Link

The song starts and ends from 32:51 - 32:58

ramyeon

Did a Google search and didn't find a k-drama thread for community. Didn't know where else to ask this.

My SO and I finished watching Reply 1997 and there is a song on episode 8 that she remembers, but can't put a name to. She mentions that she remembers it from Reply 1994.

Link

The song starts and ends from 32:51 - 32:58
Um Jung Hwa - Rose of Betrayal?

She wouldn't remember it from Reply 94 though, that song was released in 1997.

sca2511

While I can't answer your question, this is probably the best place to ask. If no luck here you can try the de facto kdrama thread.

edit: I have a small question: Why did you (or just her) watch 1994 before 1997?

I didn't know what we were going to watch. She found Reply 1994 highly recommended at multiple K-Drama lists and wanted to watch it. After we finished watching it, I looked it up and found out that Reply 1997 came before it.

I was a bit excited since I saw one of the main characters are into H.O.T and saw a mention of Sechs Kies. Basically, around the time I first started hearing of K-Pop.

Um Jung Hwa - Rose of Betrayal?

She wouldn't remember it from Reply 94 though, that song was released in 1997.
She actually skimmed through the episodes and found it on episode 17 and 18 on Reply 1994.

sca2511

I'm not gonna go to the effort of checking but that doesn't really make much sense. I don't think they'd make the mistake of putting a song released in 1997 into Reply 1994 lol.

Oh and you're welcome :p

Oh, thanks for the link :]

Since time progresses throughout the show and episode 17 + 18 are towards the end, it makes sense

Forgot about the timeskip in Reply 1994, haven't watched it since it aired haha.

Oop, just saw this.

I didn't know what we were going to watch. She found Reply 1994 highly recommended at multiple K-Drama lists and wanted to watch it. After we finished watching it, I looked it up and found out that Reply 1997 came before it.

I was a bit excited since I saw one of the main characters are into H.O.T and saw a mention of Sechs Kies. Basically, around the time I first started hearing of K-Pop.

I was just wondering since despite enjoying 1994 greatly as well, I feel that 1997 is the superior entry in the series. 1997 had such a fresh and unique formula when it came out, and while it was still enjoyable in 1994, it was no longer fresh and unique. Aside form that, 1994 lacked in other departments compared to 1997, so overall I just kind of think it a waste to be introduced to the Reply series with 1994 instead of being treated to the full experience of 1997 first.

I was just wondering since despite enjoying 1994 greatly as well, I feel that 1997 is the superior entry in the series. 1997 had such a fresh and unique formula when it came out, and while it was still enjoyable in 1994, it was no longer fresh and unique. Aside form that, 1994 lacked in other departments compared to 1997, so overall I just kind of think it a waste to be introduced to the Reply series with 1994 instead of being treated to the full experience of 1997 first.

1997 was great because Eunji fncking killed it.

If she wasn't that annoying ass fangirl we all love to hate, I don't think it would've established a huge word of mouth at the beginning. She perfectly captured the fangirl experience, to the point that even foreigners who've never seen the height of H.O.T. and Sechs Kies popularity, they were able to relate to the fan experience.

It doesn't help that a lot of the characters actually had some proper substance and character development throughout the entire show. Man or woman, they could relate to each of the characters of the show... most of us have "been there, done that" type of thing. Like for example, Yoonjae was almost a reflection of myself back when I was also in high school lol. It fncking killed me to watch him go through that shit especially now that I know what should've been done... viewers basically get attached and the rest is history.

On that note, I think it's a good time to rewatch 1997 again lol.

sca2511

I get what you mean. A lot of the same themes were shared between the two shows and maybe I'm a little biased due to the music, but I did prefer 1997. What was notable was that 1994 had better side/support characters(more developed), but 1997 had the better main plot/romance. I also liked Jun Eun-Ji more than Go Ara in their roles.

ramyeon

I loved both 94 and 97. They were both fantastic and I think both lead actors nailed their performances. I agree with the above that the supporting cast in 94 was actually more solid than 97's. I, for one, loved Dohee as the Seo Taiji bbasooni and her relationship with Samchunpo was really entertaining.

1997 would have been popular in Korea still without Eunji based on the nostalgia factor alone. It wouldn't have been picked up by Int fans as much without an idol as the lead actor though.

---

Speaking of dramas, I know I've said it before but Oh My Ghostess is one of the most entertaining things I've watched in a long time. I can never wait for the next episode to air, Park Boyoung is so perfect in her role as both versions of Na Bong Sun.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sookie waiting until a couple years in on a new console generation like a real pro because that's when devs are comfy with it and the good games are finally coming out.

She probably had to save up for 3 years. :p

I'm getting an Xbone soon for Forza 6, but goddamn lol.

You know you ain't got shit when a poor idol buys the more expensive competition compared to you.

Also, AKP and Newsen are reporting that Miss A or Secret is probably gonna disband soon lol. Not linking it though coz fnck AKP.

EDIT: Dice stole my joke! Booooooooooooo.

neoism

I'm getting an Xbone soon for Forza 6, but goddamn lol.

You know you ain't got shit when a poor idol buys the more expensive competition compared to you.

Also, AKP and Newsen are reporting that Miss A or Secret is probably gonna disband soon lol. Not linking it though coz fnck AKP.

EDIT: Dice stole my joke! Booooooooooooo.

lol how could she be poor or does her group not sell anything... :(

She's in Rainbow man... another group that's fantastic yet can't dominate the charts like 9Muses.

I don't even remember the last time they released something besides the Rainbow Blaxxx subunit last year or was it 2 ago?

Dice

They live separately and take the subway to practice. They are basically freelancers who keep the Rainbow name attached for posterity because DSP has almost nothing left after Kara. When the new DSP girl group comes out, Rainbow will probably officially disband. They debuted in 2009, never had any member changes or drama, yet never won a single music show. I have said before that everybody knows Rainbow, nobody hates Rainbow, but nobody stans Rainbow. Somehow each of the individual members are more popular than their group.

ramyeon

She's in Rainbow man... another group that's fantastic yet can't dominate the charts like 9Muses.

I don't even remember the last time they released something besides the Rainbow Blaxxx subunit last year or was it 2 ago?
Rainbow haven't released a song in ages but it's been even longer since they released a good song.

Their first two EPs were great. Everything after that? Not so much.

Pendulum

Well, it's been only 5 months since their last song and mini. But yeah, no one remembers "Black Swan" which is indicative of the problem.

---

That discord and now disband rumor has been regularly attached to both Secret and Miss A for a while now.

Dice

Yeah Rainbow was fire until they hopped aboard the fail train in 2012. Seems like DSP altogether went to shit when the CEO got sick, which is what Kara said.

ev0

Now I'm all depressed about how DSP wasted Rainbow again. Although like said, they never had a recent song as good as their early stuff.

Also- I love how there's even a kid playing a Vita but the Xbone sits alone haha

Rainbow haven't released a song in ages but it's been even longer since they released a good song.

Their first two EPs were great. Everything after that? Not so much.

Come on now, Rainbow Blaxxx was great, well the video at least haha.

But yeah, seems like 2012 really killed the entire DSP train. I mean Kara is still great and all but I'm pretty sure that year had something to do with Nicole and Jiyoung leaving.

Also- I love how there's even a kid playing a Vita but the Xbone sits alone haha

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Now that's the ultimate insult right there. Goddamn man... that's fncking sad and insulting lol.

Somebody post this to the gaming side, I wanna see the reactions lol.

Dice

I have an Xbone but I wouldn't play it if all it had was FIFA. If they can't have an M-rated game for the public demo, they should use Forza Horizon 2.
Lord knows Korea doesn't give a shit about reckless driving.

This was good, but not as good as when they did it for their concert.

Oh I never shared these impressions:

SNSD Party sucks. That song deserves nothing. A Pink Memory is the least melodic A Pink song ever and the key change is weird shit. They all hot tho. Haven't listened to the albums altogether because I have a few to catch up on.

ramyeon

I have an Xbone but I wouldn't play it if all it had was FIFA. If they can't have an M-rated game for the public demo, they should use Forza Horizon 2.
Lord knows Korea doesn't give a shit about reckless driving.
The only console games Korean guys play are Fifa games.

Only a slight exaggeration. I remember going to Playstation Rooms in Korea where they had consoles available to play and there was not one that wasn't playing a Fifa game. Same goes for any of my male Korean friends with consoles. Know one guy who has a PS4 *just* for Fifa.

I remember Rainbow from the intro of a starcraft brood war match years ago... figured they were some throw away group that never made it big, was surprised to see them still mentioned in the shadows every now and then when I started getting into k-pop in all honesty.

sca2511

I loved both 94 and 97. They were both fantastic and I think both lead actors nailed their performances. I agree with the above that the supporting cast in 94 was actually more solid than 97's. I, for one, loved Dohee as the Seo Taiji bbasooni and her relationship with Samchunpo was really entertaining.

1997 would have been popular in Korea still without Eunji based on the nostalgia factor alone. It wouldn't have been picked up by Int fans as much without an idol as the lead actor though.
Absolutely agree

broz0rs

I remember Rainbow from the intro of a starcraft brood war match years ago... figured they were some throw away group that never made it big, was surprised to see them still mentioned in the shadows every now and then when I started getting into k-pop in all honesty.

I learned about Rainbow similarly from that Kim Hyung Joon (SS501 maknae) reality show where he trains to become a professional Starcraft player.

I also remember when Rainbow released "Tell Me Tell Me" and it was probably one of the most depressing day at GAF. There was so much hype about them here and that single was huge letdown.

llehuty

TVXQ! &#46041;&#48169;&#49888;&#44592;_Rise As One_Teaser Video
This is going to be a big deal in korea right? Do you think we are going to see more TVXQ after this?

BEAST(&#48708;&#49828;&#53944;) - &#4363;&#4469;&#4527;&#4370;&#4449;&#4357;&#4453; &#4352;&#4449;&#4363;&#4451; &#4355;&#4459; (Audio Teaser)
I'm assuming it's a pre release track. It's ok.

The only console games Korean guys play are Fifa games.

Only a slight exaggeration. I remember going to Playstation Rooms in Korea where they had consoles available to play and there was not one that wasn't playing a Fifa game. Same goes for any of my male Korean friends with consoles. Know one guy who has a PS4 *just* for Fifa.

Damn, if you switch Korea with Spain is actually the same damn thing. RIP.

I also remember when Rainbow released "Tell Me Tell Me" and it was probably one of the most depressing day at GAF. There was so much hype about them here and that single was huge letdown.

One of the biggest backlashes I remember in this thread (IGaB was up there but it didn't last for long). Kind of deserved though. You just can't release this teaser:

Rainbow1.jpg

and then follow it with one of the blandest, ridiculous cutesy kpop songs ever.

Anyways, smh at all you neglecting Black Swan as an awesome, interesting song (even if koreans are idiot and made it a big flop). I for sure haven't forgot about it. It's in my top 10 releases of this year.

Top Bottom