• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Pendulum

2015. 07. 24 12PM
1800253_1097694490260263_7582490283713132802_n.jpg

---

Edit: "Yanghwa BRDG" back in the top 3 on the charts. Emotional Infinity Challenge this week for some.

The Music Festival stuff is supposed to be funny so yeah, just look at the interactions between the other groups. I mean Hyungdon was basically making fun of the fact that Hyukoh are nobodies and saying that their music isn't his style. They played a bit of a style of song they had in mind for him and he cut them off and said they should keep that for their new album instead. Then you have Kwanghee making a mess of Big Bang's songs in norebang, they're all just as disfunctional.

Same thing happened last time with Jaesuk and Yoo Heeyeol too, where he was constantly begging him to do a dance song instead of Heeyeol's usual ballad style.

There's no Costco in Gangnam ;)

Yeah I get that there's a lot of deprecation going on by participating in the music festival but it seemed like IU was a little too hesitant about PMS' stubbornness.

I saw a clip of that "Black Sunglasses" song she was demonstrating in the latest ep, and I think all my fears are gone. Plus, it sounds pretty good already so I'm excited, if they stick with that song lol.

Lolol, that's the ridiculousness of it. A Costco in Gangnam is the equivalent of a Costco in Wall Street or Savile Row in London haha.

Also that Sonamoo MV, D.ana is still a babe. That's all that matters lol. The word choice is terrible though. "It's like Cooshawn cooshawn..." yikes.

ramyeon

Yeah I get that there's a lot of deprecation going on by participating in the music festival but it seemed like IU was a little too hesitant about PMS' stubbornness.

I saw a clip of that "Black Sunglasses" song she was demonstrating in the latest ep, and I think all my fears are gone. Plus, it sounds pretty good already so I'm excited, if they stick with that song lol.

Lolol, that's the ridiculousness of it. A Costco in Gangnam is the equivalent of a Costco in Wall Street or Savile Row in London haha.

Also that Sonamoo MV, D.ana is still a babe. That's all that matters lol. The word choice is terrible though. "It's like Cooshawn cooshawn..." yikes.
Ironically I would not put it past Gangnam to have a Costco, actually lol.

Pendulum

Better stuff from Sonamoo.

----

It's finally been officially announced that Sunye and Sohee are no longer in Wonder Girls.
While there were previously talks of the possibility of them rejoining the group, JYP Entertainment has formally announced through a press release on July 20: “Sunye and Sohee, who have promoted as members of the Wonder Girls, have withdrawn from the team. As a result, the Wonder Girls will be promoting as a four-member group (Yeeun, Yubin, Sunmi, and Hyelim).”

----

I now miss London.
Victoria said:

Niks

Am I crazy or Jessica is totally throwing mad shade at Taeyeon with her legal action towards haters?

Apparently she edited her comment?
Original was "What goes around comes around🎶 #karma #sweetdreams"

Jessica still salty it seems.

Anyways, good on taengoo and SM on taking legal action. Its one thing to hate, but to harass and threaten friends and family is too much.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Broank

Am I crazy or Jessica is totally throwing mad shade at Taeyeon with her legal action towards haters?

That wouldn't really make sense though would it? I mean Taeyeon is constantly getting hate for stupid shit (so is Jessica) so it would be weird to snipe in when Taeyeon responds because her brother was getting threats or whatever.

Jessica was probably referencing all the recent shitting on Krystal's instagram by Exo and Shinee fans for that photoshoot with Kai and Taemin. Heck maybe even for the trolls in general finally getting countered by SM, since she herself probably has to deal with them the most outside of Taeyeon.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Damn that sounds smooth. Really happy to see Sunmi back with the Wonder Girls. It'll be weird to see her with heels on stage, though haha.

That wouldn't really make sense though would it? I mean Taeyeon is constantly getting hate for stupid shit (so is Jessica) so it would be weird to snipe in when Taeyeon responds because her brother was getting threats or whatever.

Jessica was probably referencing all the recent shitting on Krystal's instagram by Exo and Shinee fans for that photoshoot with Kai and Taemin. Heck maybe even for the trolls in general finally getting countered by SM, since she herself probably has to deal with them the most outside of Taeyeon.

I am not sure about anything anymore. She did delete the message though. I feel she wouldn't, if it was just shade towards haters of her sister. Since she backtracked...could be personal.

No No Eul

I can't help but feel that DSP are going to be in for a world of hurt if they don't furnish a satisfactory explanation as to why Sojin couldn't be in the group but this girl could.

I had a quick look at (that great bastion of factual accuracy) OneHallyu and there are suggestions that only two members of Baby Kara have actually made it into April.

Which would be a bit fucking weird if true.

Eldren

As expected, Vibrato takes the crown for the best song of summer 2015. RIP any hope of them ever being allowed to perform that choreography on music shows though.

Have you all bought your copy of the New York Times Bestseller Hyo Style by published author and award winning musician Kim Hyoyeon?

neoism

Anyways, good on taengoo and SM on taking legal action. Its one thing to hate, but to harass and threaten friends and family is too much.

just seen this and taes comment whats it about poeple are threatening her family... ?

:(

Pendulum

I can't help but feel that DSP are going to be in for a world of hurt if they don't furnish a satisfactory explanation as to why Sojin couldn't be in the group but this girl could.

I had a quick look at (that great bastion of factual accuracy) OneHallyu and there are suggestions that only two members of Baby Kara have actually made it into April.

Which would be a bit fucking weird if true.

If that suggestion is true, it makes Somin the oldest of the group (at 18, almost 19) and Jinsol above the maknae at 13/14. Also makes Somin the only former Puretty member to be in this group.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Jessica just reposted the shade and now it just says "Really?" Pretty damn sure this is about Taeyeon now.

Kuno

After finally checking this song out today, I think it's actually decent. It's like they're mashing IU's "Good Day" and/or "You and I" with an Apink / Lovelyz song, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that.

This was awesome, really looking forward to this now.

This is really promising too.

Damn evo wasnt the only house of salt this weekend.

No No Eul

That Sunmi teaser is hype af.

So good. Your faves wouldn't dare, unless your fave was Gain in which case she probably would. :p

It gets off to a great start but the chorus is a bit of a letdown. It's a solid effort though. Also, there seems to be a lot of channelling of other girl group members going on in that MV. I spotted Hani, Minah, Nana (sort of) and Tia. Even D.ana reminds me of somebody else but I can't think who.

If that suggestion is true, it makes Somin the oldest of the group (at 18, almost 19) and Jinsol above the maknae at 13/14. Also makes Somin the only former Puretty member to be in this group.

It'll be so strange if Chaekyung doesn't make it, not only because she's ex-Puretty but also because she and Somin are BFFs from what I can remember.

ramyeon

So good. Your faves wouldn't dare, unless your fave was Gain in which case she probably would. :p
The song is actually great. The video not so much, and I can't go along with the Gain comparison. Gain has done some sexy stuff but it's done way better than this. Bloom is a great example of a good way to do a video that is clearly about having sex for the first time in a classy and interesting way.

The imagery in this is so crude, the outfits so blatant. If they had decided on these outfits in a way to express their sexuality and confidence then fine, but I do seem to recall they said that the stuff they had to do during Marionette promotions made them feel uncomfortable. I can't see this as anything more than exploitive and a way to generate press about their comeback.

Which is sad because the song is genuinely good.

---

Also Sunmi teaser is GOAT. Girls that play bass are the best, and I'm glad that they are actually going to be playing their instruments for this comeback.

No No Eul

The song is actually great. The video not so much, and I can't go along with the Gain comparison. Gain has done some sexy stuff but it's done way better than this. Bloom is a great example of a good way to do a video that is clearly about having sex for the first time in a classy and interesting way.

The imagery in this is so crude, the outfits so blatant. If they had decided on these outfits in a way to express their sexuality and confidence then fine, but I do seem to recall they said that the stuff they had to do during Marionette promotions made them feel uncomfortable. I can't see this as anything more than exploitive and a way to generate press about their comeback.

Which is sad because the song is genuinely good.

Yeah, that's a good point well put, particularly with regards to Bloom. I do think her recent stuff has been rather more on the nose though. Not Vibrato levels, sure, but still.

I think the point I was trying to make, in a rather flippant way, was that there aren't many idols that would even dare to tackle that sort of thing in the first place, whether it's in a classy manner or otherwise. And while I agree that a lot of Vibrato's content is probably done for publicity's sake, I do think there is at least some depth to it. Admittedly, I'm influenced by Asian Junkie here. I thought he had a few interesting things to say on the matter.

ramyeon

Yeah, that's a good point well put, particularly with regards to Bloom. I do think her recent stuff has been rather more on the nose though. Not Vibrato levels, sure, but still.

I think the point I was trying to make, in a rather flippant way, was that there aren't many idols that would even dare to tackle that sort of thing in the first place, whether it's in a classy manner or otherwise. And while I agree that a lot of Vibrato's content is probably done for publicity's sake, I do think there is at least some depth to it. Admittedly, I'm influenced by Asian Junkie here. I thought he had a few interesting things to say on the matter.
Yeah I can't think of anything she's done which is even close to being as on the nose as this video, this is about as subtle as a brick to the head with the objects resembling vaginas. I think the smashed up watermelon imagery at the end in particular is kind of crude, it plays into that outdated idea that a woman is damaged in some way after losing her virginity. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.

Like I said, if the concept had been their idea and they were doing it as a way to flaunt their confidence in their own sexuality then that would be fantastic. And I feel like that Asian Junkie article goes ahead and assumes that this is the case, when I kind of feel that it probably isn't knowing how the Kpop industry works. These girls are struggling, they have been since their debut. Their management did a super risqué concept once and it pulled attention so they keep going with it - trying to one up the last release each time. I definitely recall them saying that the Marionette concept was uncomfortable for them and that's really telling imo.

I just can't picture anything but a bunch of guys deciding this concept for them as a way to make headlines for pushing the boundaries and that's just so exploitative and gross.

The song is killer though, like I said. It genuinely surprised me.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
IMO the Stellar concept is very, very mild. Is it sexual? Oh yeah. It's suggestive but it's still very light and fun. The biggest problem for Stellar is how conservative South Korea is. They make huge scandals out of just dating, or stuff like weed. I can understand why there's an uproar over Stellar's vids, and why the girls would feel bad. But from my POV? It's stuff so light and unprovocative, I just don't get it. I see far worse stuff, on network TV.

I just can't picture anything but a bunch of guys deciding this concept for them as a way to make headlines for pushing the boundaries and that's just so exploitative and gross.

Which is why there is no point in calling this video or group out. All the reaction acting like this is new to the industry is laughable. We all know how this works and it's another group desperate for the media attention.

Middle age dudes decide the concepts and length of their shorts to make it look like they have an ass because they are hemorrhaging money on these girls. At best the video goes viral-ish and creates online chatter, foreigners make assumptions, korean guys fall in love for a week, 12 year old girls post shitty comments with 0 responsibility dragging people through the mud.

Usual day in k-pop.... though still waiting on that A-Pink desperation sexyness... common Eun-Ji skanky style

either way no all that bad from what I could see. Though I have not seen so much multi-mirror corner room use in a music video since the early BoA days haha. Others have gotten away with more "subtle for korea" nonsense to get that 15 year old rating that is way more obvious to us.... speaking of there are some videos that get a 19 rating that have nothing in them visually or lyrically but -meh-

ramyeon

Which is why there is no point in calling this video or group out. All the reaction acting like this is new to the industry is laughable. We all know how this works and it's another group desperate for the media attention.

Middle age dudes decide the concepts and length of their shorts to make it look like they have an ass because they are hemorrhaging money on these girls. At best the video goes viral-ish and creates online chatter, foreigners make assumptions, korean guys fall in love for a week, 12 year old girls post shitty comments with 0 responsibility dragging people through the mud.

Usual day in k-pop.... though still waiting on that A-Pink desperation sexyness... common Eun-Ji skanky style

either way no all that bad from what I could see. Though I have not seen so much multi-mirror corner room use in a music video since the early BoA days haha. Others have gotten away with more "subtle for korea" nonsense to get that 15 year old rating that is way more obvious to us.... speaking of there are some videos that get a 19 rating that have nothing in them visually or lyrically but -meh-
Your response confuses me since it doesn't address anything I said. I definitely never called the group out, I also never said it was anything new.

Not sure why you think A Pink would ever have to use sexier concepts to sell when their current stuff is doing more than fine either?

Basically I think it's a shame that the song is going to be forgotten underneath the controversy this video creates for itself. It's also a shame that girls who feel uncomfortable doing this kind of stuff are forced into it and then receive hate comments online for it.

Your response confuses me since it doesn't address anything I said. I definitely never called the group out, I also never said it was anything new.

Not sure why you think A Pink would ever have to use sexier concepts to sell when their current stuff is doing more than fine either?

Basically I think it's a shame that the song is going to be forgotten underneath the controversy this video creates for itself. It's also a shame that girls who feel uncomfortable doing this kind of stuff are forced into it and then receive hate comments online for it.

Was not calling you out, agreeing with your general statement. Was in regards to all the random "news" sites who are going to latch onto it. Probably should have kept another part of the quote in there for clarity lol.

A Pink was obviously a joke since they are popular, even with their cute image.

And yes it is a shame the actual song will be forgotten, like they typically do when these come out.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Shit, new Sonamoo is so disappointing after their amazeballs debut. It's crappy cutie-pie k-pop mixed with their badass selves, and it doesn't gel. The chorus is good, but otherwise it's like a crappy Ice Cream Cake.

Fuck. Deja Vu was fucking amazing. The fuck happened?

EXID Showtime episode 2 (Eng Subs) - bit of a messy sub job with the caption and dialogue subs done the same way

How much money does EXID make? Hani's house is freakin' nice and LE's car starts at $38K US. I understand that not all of them were poor to begin with, but it's really interesting seeing this side of their lives. Especially compared to other idols where a lot of them seem like they're barely scraping by.

Anyway, conclusions from that episode... Solji seems like a real fun night out, me and Hani share a love for salty foods, LE seems like a cool chick but I'm undecided on her "ice princess face" for lack of a better term lol. Hyelin needs to embrace her satoori like a fellow tangerine loving idol, and Junghwa... it's tough, she reminds me a lot of A-Pinkeu's Hayoung in that I want to stan her and all but Eunji, or in EXID's case, Hani has my attention on full lock.

Can I summon feist-bro for an EXID megapost one of these days? I think one would help me decide on whether I should put my cards in Hani's table or somewhere else haha.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
How much money does EXID make? Hani's house is freakin' nice

It's like the house from Roommate haha. It looked awesome. In any case Ep 2 was still really good, but nothing was as funny as the first episode. No member of Exid was fearing for their lives in rides, Which makes for a more mellow watch but a very worthy one nonetheless.

It was really cute meeting the girls's families. Really humanized them for me. LE's family were SOOO scared of the cameras haha. They were stiff as hell. LE though...goddamn she looks fantastic. Hyerin's basically a 5-years old in a grown woman's body. She's so goddamn adorable, it's painful. Her attempt at a boo scare melted my hardened heart. Hnnng. Damn she's really pretty. It's incredible, that one of the most powerful voices in K-Pop, comes from such a tiny little lady.

It's really awkward but fascinating to see their loved ones interact with them, fully aware of how successful they are now.

No No Eul

Yeah I can't think of anything she's done which is even close to being as on the nose as this video, this is about as subtle as a brick to the head with the objects resembling vaginas.

Like I said, I don't think she's done anything that reaches Vibrato levels but at the same time, all the writhing around on the floor in Paradise Lost wasn't exactly subtle either. :p

I think you're right though, in that Gain probably would have had a lot more artistic control in that case than the members of Stellar ever have in their MVs.

Top Bottom