• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Peru

IU's 80 Perfect All Kills with Leon is the new all-time instiz record. Previous record holder was... IU, with 76.

CNfehAzUEAEJamm.jpg

I luv Ben, been following her since Bebe Mignon, also because I'm really into 4men, Vibe, MIII and the artists from The Vibe Ent. (Formerly known as YWHO).
The promotional track for her new mini-album is quite a puzzling choice for sure, especially because she has been trending due to her great ballad performance on various shows.

Powerful yet fragile voice. She is incredibly cute, but the cutesy concept isn't really working for her.

llehuty

Verbal Jint & Sanchez EP preview
LE's song is, as Pendulum said, a word play on Up&Down. Sounds pretty chill though.
Title track teaser: 버벌진트, 산체스 - Favorite! [Official TS]

Pedobait 7 class 1 - Always

sooo... yeah.

Moving to Japan apparently, when the night before I was thinking to apply to Korea.
Congrats!

HUH!?

Not even the same category son.
no lie though I don't think Hani is some great beauty like a lot of people say, pretty sure.
Same. Hani's thing is the combo looks and personality.

Selane

They are actually pretty fun live and their songs are at least average.

I pretty much support any new group I see wearing sneakers on general principle. This is the best phase of any group's existence, when they're still young and thirsty, and you watch their performance and they're actually dancing and running around and exerting effort! It's awesome! They might not be the best and their song might not be the best, but at least they're trying really hard and happy for the opportunity.

Then you wake up one morning and realize that at some point they've turned into a bunch of arrogant, lazy fucks à la SNSD. Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess.

Pendulum

The whole album sounds like a chill-end-of-summer affair. Looking forward to it.

----

The Unpretty Rapstar 2 contestants performing on the final of SMTM4.
The DIA members were in the audience. MBK got each of them on camera.

SMTM4 spoiler:
Well, well, I am genuinely surprised. Not because I thought Mino was the better rapper, but that he had heaps more support base. Congrats Basick!

----

New Luna

---

Ahn Sister got Hani's back
3dfxw34.gif

Cuddler

2BiC performance from Immortal Songs 2 was finally uploaded on the KBS World TV YouTube channel:
2BiC - White Night | 투빅 - 하얀 밤에 [Immortal Songs 2]
Just so good, also the full episode was uploaded (2BiC are the first to sing, Ailee is the second):
Immortal Songs 2 | 불후의 명곡 2: Songwriter Kim Jeongtaek (2015.08.22) - 2BiC, Lee Jung, NOLZA, Horan, Hwang Chiyeul, Ailee, T.L Crow, MelodyDay
They will be again on immortal Songs 2 in this week episode too, Mamamoo will be also there.

2BiC labelmate Kassy as also released a new song, which I think is quite good:
[Teaser] 케이시 (Kassy) - 침대 위에서 (In My Bed)
[Kassy(케이시)] 침대 위에서 Piano Ver.

We disagree on a number of things, but you've gone too far.

You guys make me laugh. That 30 second clip is almost as unbearable as the 3 minute clip of Lizzy ainging.

Jisoo looks to be making her debut with Lovelyz' next comeback

Fucking finally.

Where can I watch english-subbed episodes of the Girls' Generation reality show that I've read around here?

Soshisubs for Channel SNSD, but they are incredibly slow. For Weekly Idol, here's a shitty sub for the 1st episode. Here's what I assume is a shitty sub for episode 2.

JohnCYQ

IU's 80 Perfect All Kills with Leon is the new all-time instiz record. Previous record holder was... IU, with 76.

CNfehAzUEAEJamm.jpg

Well this is awkward...someone said the previous record was 74 (You&I). Anyway for now it seems to be stuck at #85, getting cockblocked by the new SMTM album. Would've been 88 too if Mnet didn't go down for their 3 hour maintenance on the second day.

That Unpretty Rapstar 2 performance was terrible... good grief, none of that mess is real hip-hop. Keith Ape might actually be right when he said Korean hiphop is trash if this is the best they can put on screen. I feel sorry for the legends like MFBTY, DyDu and Leessang as well as the underground rappers trying to make it out there... UR is just slandering the name of K-hiphop.

Thank god LE was smart enough to avoid this disaster... and I feel bad for Kasper now. Yubin has nothing to worry about, but Kasper could eventually fade off into obscurity if she doesn't do this right. Smh Mnet.

Speaking of Mnet, when are they planning to ship the signed WG CD's?

Man, this song might overtake Climax as my favorite Jane Jang track.

Loci

Since the whole Hiphop-thing is imported the Korean public is just under a very very weird impression of what Hiphop actually is.
There has been lots of good Hiphop and fantastic beats in the 90s and early 00s but during the last couple of years, when it actually became popular, got into the mainstream and charted well, all they did was basically copying american Hiphop. Too much trap, too much 'Look at me I'm so fly', meaningless lyrics about money, clubs, women.
Only because you're 'rapping' doesn't mean the shit you do is Hiphop. I pretty much gave up on Korean Hiphop some years ago. Sometimes there's a good release. And I do enjoy quite a bit of Hiphop tagged music produced these days in Korea but for me it's more pop music with some rapping here and there.
There were some nice performances on SMTM but I highly doubt once they were to release music, they'd be charting well with similar sounds. There's a reason why everyone who wants to become popular changes their sound. Otherwise you just stay underground. Just look at Beenzino, lol.
Work it girl, pls.

Peru

That Unpretty Rapstar 2 performance was terrible... good grief, none of that mess is real hip-hop. Keith Ape might actually be right when he said Korean hiphop is trash if this is the best they can put on screen. I feel sorry for the legends like MFBTY, DyDu and Leessang as well as the underground rappers trying to make it out there... UR is just slandering the name of K-hiphop.

Thank god LE was smart enough to avoid this disaster... and I feel bad for Kasper now. Yubin has nothing to worry about, but Kasper could eventually fade off into obscurity if she doesn't do this right. Smh Mnet.

But Kasper is one of the worst of that bunch.

There are good rappers on season 2 as well. But the format is kind of silly. Wish it'd be just them writing songs and performing them. Again I refer to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVP_UN-Zrj8

llehuty

So, do we have more information on the Star Empire building auction thing? 9muses seems to be just chilling on SNS.

Hyuna said:

Yeah, let's just declare korean hip-hop scene dead because one random performance that involved 12 people or so, and was probably prepared in 2 days, was bad. As Loc said, there is plenty of stupid yolo swag imported from america in the k-hiphop scene, but there is also space for good stuff (just like any other genre).

Epik High and MC Mong albums were just released last year, and I'm sure there is a lot of good recent stuff also in the underground scene. I like watching Show Me The Money and Unpretty Rapstar, but at the end of the day they are just reality shows.

Fortunately, there are some good performances/songs coming out of this shows, even if the rushed format and drama focus doesn't look like the most appropriate.

But Kasper is one of the worst of that bunch.

There are good rappers on season 2 as well. But the format is kind of silly. Wish it'd be just them writing songs and performing them. Again I refer to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVP_UN-Zrj8

Yeah, that's why I'm iffy about Kasper being part of the show.

Also yes to the MC Meta and Sam Choi track. The summary of the song is basically this:

AsianJunkie said:
The hook is saying that they’ll all go on and on about hip-hop for the money and swag, but won’t use it to speak up about actual shit that matters to people or fight against any power greater than them, and now the mainstream population thinks the buffoonery on the show is what hip-hop is about.

I wholeheartedly agree with this but it's not even a huge concern. Hip-hop has been filled with idiocy dating back to it's beginnings, but I think it's definitely stupid to front hiphop as a bunch of monkeys dissing each other left and right.

Yeah, let's just declare korean hip-hop scene dead because one random performance that involved 12 people or so, and was probably prepared in 2 days, was bad. As Loc said, there is plenty of stupid yolo swag imported from america in the k-hiphop scene, but there is also space for good stuff (just like any other genre).

Epik High and MC Mong albums were just released last year, and I'm sure there is a lot of good recent stuff also in the underground scene. I like watching Show Me The Money and Unpretty Rapstar, but at the end of the day they are just reality shows.

Fortunately, there are some good performances/songs coming out of this shows, even if the rushed format and drama focus doesn't look like the most appropriate.

Well yeah, Epik High, MC Mong, hell even buttsex lover E-Sens can release a proper hiphop album because they don't have idiots running their own shit and fronting hip hop as an idiots exercise.

Besides my complaint isn't even the lyrical content, it's the lack of flow from the rappers. It doesn't have to rhyme or reason like a Kendrick verse, but it needs some substance to it... all it sounded to me was girls talking and raising their voices on certain syllables. For all the hate I give Jessi, I'll at least admit she's got a decent flow that works really well for her style.

Just watch this clip for example: Joon Ha from Infinite Challenge attempts to rap and check out how horrible it is in contrast to Beenzino. That's the kind of feel I'm getting from watching that performance. All those girls sounded like Joon Ha and not one of them has an excellent flow like Beenzino.

JohnCYQ

Whelp...
At the Shangai Fanmeeting for Producers, Kim Soo-Hyun's Chinese fans decided to pull a Black Ocean during IU's performance.

Their reasoning was that IU had a scandal in the past and that she will steal KSH from the fans.

The fuck...

cj_iwakura

Since the whole Hiphop-thing is imported the Korean public is just under a very very weird impression of what Hiphop actually is.
There has been lots of good Hiphop and fantastic beats in the 90s and early 00s but during the last couple of years, when it actually became popular, got into the mainstream and charted well, all they did was basically copying american Hiphop. Too much trap, too much 'Look at me I'm so fly', meaningless lyrics about money, clubs, women.
Only because you're 'rapping' doesn't mean the shit you do is Hiphop. I pretty much gave up on Korean Hiphop some years ago. Sometimes there's a good release. And I do enjoy quite a bit of Hiphop tagged music produced these days in Korea but for me it's more pop music with some rapping here and there.

I guess that explains why it seems to have gone down in quality. Well, we still have groups like Baechigi and such. I'm sure talented artists are out there.

llehuty

New Purfles in their showcase:
150830 퍼펄즈Purfles - 나쁜 짓 (HR) [오픈쇼케이스 명동] by drighk 직캠fancam
Song is definitely not as good as "1, 2, 3", but this seems to be more in line with the music that koreans like right now. Handcuff thing is really cool.

[150830] Interview with Dal★Shabet (달샤벳) @ Singapore (ENG SUB)
That out of nowhere Jiyul english? And Gaeun was also cute.

[Special Video] SEVENTEEN - 아낀다 (Adore U) Performance Ver.
This is good. Can fangirls just throw money at this guys so we can have an After School/Orange Caramel comeback?

morch

odd question, I just put my tv on to play tv music shows and it played lionheart by snsd.... I could swear the melody/tune is a ripoff of another song, for love or money I can't think of a name though

of course I googled it but it's just people trying to play the song themselves

odd question, I just put my tv on to play tv music shows and it played lionheart by snsd.... I could swear the melody/tune is a ripoff of another song, for love or money I can't think of a name though

of course I googled it but it's just people trying to play the song themselves

It really reminds me of something else as well, but I can't put my finger on it either.

luso

The only thing I can remember and I read somewhere may be Pachebel's Canon, near the end of the song, by the chimes.

Top Bottom