• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dicetrain, what do you think of this vocal performance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lRdb5BSGA
Not used to this in solo rather than choir. It gives it a more chamber feel. They have appropriately taken this departure from common styling to likewise shift the interpretation, and what the whole group is doing always has to be considered when evaluating the vocal performance.

Larger Bach ensembles find beauty in the interlocking parts so to speak, the pristine cooperation, a sense of power conveyed more in a majesty of being rather than something overtly exercised. On a more intimate scale with Bach, it's usually more like that majesty is something out of view, indirectly present like the sun shining the object of attention.

In this case, that is something fluttery, whimsical, like a feather flying in the wind, and she delivers this perfectly well. It's a very different feeling, one I'm not sure Bach intended for the piece (he seemed to understand joy with more grandeur) even though it seems befitting of one side of his musical identity, but I'm not educated on it enough to know if this is more accurate to the original work and I've only seen adaptations that scaled up.

Peru

Well in this case, "the cantata is scored for four soloists—soprano, alto, tenor and bass—a four-part choir, two oboes d'amore, two violins, viola and basso continuo." The aria is certainly usually performed with one soloist and not a choir. I think Bach works supremely well with intimacy in his cantatas and concertos. There's both crystallized emotion and funky minimalist grooves.The passions, the mass, are grander of course and fit well with your description. His range of masterpieces is why I'd call him the GOAT. Anyway I love love love the clean and dewy fresh voice of this particular soprano. On another level from the other recordings I've heard.

edit (actually even the passions' great strength is how they move from the intimidating spectacle of two choirs confronting each other in polyphonic anger to the heartbreaking intimate scenes of sorrow)

Dice

Ah, but I'm remembering correctly that other parts are choral, yeah? I'm not super into Bach, and that may be because he is too familiar which ends up feeling conventional, but that might be due to my history with the church. When I took composition, my stuff ended up Bach-ish style, so I could really see how far beyond me his stuff was in that intricacy I talked about, yet at the same time the stylistic similarity left me unsatisfied in the lack of surprises between us both. I don't carry much interest in the perfection of familiar things. I've always been more surprised, moved, and felt like my mind was more expanded by Russian composers.

Peru

I don't think he will feel too familiar if you actually dig into his works more. You have one idea of him, yet for the most part he did do chamber music, not large scale majesty. The Brandenburger concertos are almost infinitely full of ideas and life, they can never feel worn out. There's endless, delicate beauty in his cantatas.The experimental side of him, the goldberg variations, art of fugue - nothing else is really 'similar' to this. And in my experience, except for a few 'standard' Bach melodies out of context in popular culture, we're far more exposed to the Russians - the big symphony orchestras dominate what we think of as classical performances, on TV, radio, for the big classical events in the cities of Europe and America. By going back to the baroque period more I think you would be surprised and challenged.

mr_chun

Ah, but I'm remembering correctly that other parts are choral, yeah? I'm not super into Bach, and that may be because he is too familiar which ends up feeling conventional, but that might be due to my history with the church. When I took composition, my stuff ended up Bach-ish style, so I could really see how far beyond me his stuff was in that intricacy I talked about, yet at the same time the stylistic similarity left me unsatisfied in the lack of surprises between us both. I don't carry much interest in the perfection of familiar things. I've always been more surprised, moved, and felt like my mind was more expanded by Russian composers.
Nailed it. Bach is so deeply entrenched in the way music is taught at University that he almost becomes uninteresting. You study him in composition/counterpoint and history, you hear him in ensemble, you sing/play him in studio; his influence touches just about everything. And for good reason, since he accomplished virtually every feat that was allowed under the rules of his time, with almost mathematical perfection. The sheer volume of complete works is unbelievable.

But dang I can't listen to more than a few minutes of anything Bach at this point without losing interest. Didn't make it halfway through that video. She has a great voice, but it didn't serve my interest because of the composition and setting. Glad people are performing and studying that stuff, it's just not for me.

EDIT: Yeah, like that chamber piece right there. As a trumpet player, I was fascinated to see that guy getting all over a valveless horn. But the piece did nothing for me, nor did the actual horn part.

Dice

And in my experience, except for a few 'standard' Bach melodies out of context in popular culture, we're far more exposed to the Russians - the big symphony orchestras dominate what we think of as classical performances, on TV, radio, for the big classical events in the cities of Europe and America. By going back to the baroque period more I think you would be surprised and challenged.
I feel insofar as popularity goes, in America we're far more inundated with Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, etc. If it's not that then it's something more recent from either French or American composers. Outside of Tchaikovsky I feel like I always had to go out of my way to hear Russians, and when I do I find something like the Scheherazade and it takes me out of my mind.

This is a great kpop thread.

Edit: https://youtu.be/R1NfmkLkZg8

I think Girl's Day just kept it too real 24/7 and their management eventually gave in and they don't even have an image anymore. That's cool tho.

Peru

Nailed it. Bach is so deeply entrenched in the way music is taught at University that he almost becomes uninteresting. You study him in composition/counterpoint and history, you hear him in ensemble, you sing/play him in studio; his influence touches just about everything. And for good reason, since he accomplished virtually every feat that was allowed under the rules of his time, with almost mathematical perfection. The sheer volume of complete works is unbelievable.

But dang I can't listen to more than a few minutes of anything Bach at this point without losing interest. Didn't make it halfway through that video. She has a great voice, but it didn't serve my interest because of the composition and setting. Glad people are performing and studying that stuff, it's just not for me.

EDIT: Yeah, like that chamber piece right there. As a trumpet player, I was fascinated to see that guy getting all over a valveless horn. But the piece did nothing for me, nor did the actual horn part.

That makes me very sad. I think Bach is first and foremost an emotional composer. Yeah he accomplished great feats of composition and rewrote the rules, but first and foremost listening to his stuff is an emotional experience. What I'm left with is not intellectual admiration, but sitting silently with teary eyes for minutes after the St Matthew because I'm so touched, even after having seen/heard performances of it 10s of times before. I don't subscribe to the idea that you're burned out because you're brought up on his music in an academic setting. It's just that you were in the wrong mood for it, like people being forced to read actually great, gripping novels in school but not enjoying them until they're revisited in adulthood.

Then to me a lot of the stuff post-Mozart is pomp and circumstance first and foremost and I think has lost some of the playfulness of the earlier music. The stereotypes are backwards: There's actually more funk, jazz, heart in baroque music than in romantic and classical.

/ off-topic. On-topic:

tumblr_nukd0gSdlS1rlzlwyo1_500.jpg
tumblr_nukd0gSdlS1rlzlwyo3_500.jpg

mr_chun

It's just that you were in the wrong mood for it, like people being forced to read actually great, gripping novels in school but not enjoying them until they're revisited in adulthood.
You're probably right. He's was always presented to me in an academic setting for the purpose of analysis. I'm also not an actively religious person, and was never exposed to Bach in that setting.

It also has a lot to do with my instrument of choice. Later composers, particularly romantic era composers, really explored the depth and breadth of the trumpet. The instrument was given a completely different identity under the likes of Mahler, Strauss, etc. That's where I see it used in a truly emotional way, a way that stirs my heart in a way that Baroque music cannot. Baroque music was assigned to me for the purpose of improving mechanics and technical ability. Later music is what I studied when focusing on artistic expression.

I love her face.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you're burned out because you're brought up on his music in an academic setting.

I disagree. 2 years in classical music academia burned me out on most classical music.

To start, it's because these damn composers never wrote anything interesting for us trombones. Who the fnck wants to sit behind the pit playing quarter and half notes under pianissimo? We've made it a game between the section to learn the trumpet, euphonium and french horn parts and play it without getting caught by the director or by some high and mighty dipshit musician who thinks he's tough shit lol. More often than not, we've never been caught and sometimes the director approves and it's written in.

Secondly, the curriculum I was in was literally either Bach this or Mozart that. Sometimes we take a look at other composers but it always goes back to either one. If anything, I'd say it felt like a Bach/Mozart circlejerk every semester. One of the most fun theory classes I've ever taken was the last one where my prof deviated from the curriculum and we got into minimalism and a little bit of jazz theory.

And of course, the class jazz theory itself absolutely blew my mind I failed it once lol. The concepts behind it is easy at face value, but once you got into the meat and bones of the material... my god, that was a nightmarish yet fun experience.

Honestly speaking, I can't even name you a classical composer these days besides Bach, Mozart, Pachelbel, Barber, Holst, and Tchaik. Out of those composers I can only name 3 compositions, Canon in D, Adagio for Strings and Planets... only because these are my favorite classical pieces of all time. That's not to say I can't listen to classical anymore, but I don't go out of my way to listen to classical like I do with jazz.

Seulgis waist though...

5PznCmY.jpg

VI ain't nobody to fuck wit.

giphy.gif

Some might argue that firing a gun at a firing range isn't particularly impressive, but I would argue that the rate of fire indicates that we're dealing with a true next level badass here. Kim Jong Un and Abe better watch out for this guy.

Peru

COt5lPIUEAAJx3c.jpg
COt4ITHVEAAoTgX.jpg
COt4IRsVAAE4eAi.jpg
¨¨

I disagree. 2 years in classical music academia burned me out on most classical music.

To start, it's because these damn composers never wrote anything interesting for us trombones. Who the fnck wants to sit behind the pit playing quarter and half notes under pianissimo? We've made it a game between the section to learn the trumpet, euphonium and french horn parts and play it without getting caught by the director or by some high and mighty dipshit musician who thinks he's tough shit lol. More often than not, we've never been caught and sometimes the director approves and it's written in.

Sucker choice not going for the oboe

broz0rs

That makes me very sad. I think Bach is first and foremost an emotional composer. Yeah he accomplished great feats of composition and rewrote the rules, but first and foremost listening to his stuff is an emotional experience. What I'm left with is not intellectual admiration, but sitting silently with teary eyes for minutes after the St Matthew because I'm so touched, even after having seen/heard performances of it 10s of times before. I don't subscribe to the idea that you're burned out because you're brought up on his music in an academic setting. It's just that you were in the wrong mood for it, like people being forced to read actually great, gripping novels in school but not enjoying them until they're revisited in adulthood.

Helen Donath wants to give her heart to you, Peru
======================

Don't think this has been posted yet? Taeyeon's duet with Korean music legend, Im Jae Bum (not the GOT7 one)

Im Jae Bum and SNSD Taeyeon - Scars Deeper Than Love

======================

Korean baseball reporter vs. a bug

https://streamable.com/47k5

luso

j47XnRt.jpg

Today was last Lion Heart stage. By this time (well, since some years) SM promotions are set to 4 weeks (5 weekends), except rookies and Exo. Anyway, it was a good promotion cycle and it's still around top 10 on insistz/Melon and hoovering places 4-6.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My excitement at finding a POW in MGSV, that was a doppelganger of Suzy, is a bit mitigated by the fact that she can't breathe worth a goddamn. Still looks badass as all hell in her black camo while stealthing, but she can't run 5 feet without sounding like she's dying.

Edit. Found a Song Ji Hyo look-alike that breathes normally. Yay!

Pendulum

Were they talking about AOA for that gif?

I can't remember, but you have a good point. The episode aired early in the year, after "Miniskirt" was getting attention. Either way, the girls at the start of an episode would show off what they are wearing and Hyunyoung's shorts had zippers, so, there ya go. tbh, I'd be more shocked if a variety show about fashion didn't show a bit of skin from time to time.

Dice

I like how the pixelation changes absolutely nothing about the perception.

Can't let em see those sexy... zipper teeth?

llehuty

VIVIDIVA 비비디바_데뷔 티져 2 '서비스(Service)'
You better keep your Vividiva debut hype on check.

YOUTUBERS REACT TO K-Pop #3
Really weird picks.
But get that promo, Every Night.

Bug lady with glorious long hair for dice: TYVM, Excuse me

Glorious Sunmi for everyone
except Areed :p
: I feel you

JONGHYUN The Collection [Story Op.1] Prelude
The wait for f(x) combeack continues.

150913 T-ARA(티아라) Hyomin (효민) Pitching Practice
Dat determination

Pre-yawning intensifies.

New GOT7 album on October 12th. Hardest working group in the industry by far.
They are all right. They have nothin on girls group when they are performing several times a week in summer festivals while juggling single promos and music shows perfromances, like AOA last year or 9muses 2 years ago.

But I guess you are easily impressed being a YG stan and having to wait years for comebacks (or debuts). #pray4AgentChris #justice4ikon

Top Bottom