• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Kuno

Damn. The song and performances are really good, on their own. But the arrangement and production make this song, for me. Kudos to OMG and whoever produces their stuff.

[QUOTE="Closer" YouTube description]Sean Alexander, who made many hit songs in Japan and Korea such as Girls’ Generation’s Lion Heart, SHINee’s AMIGO, TAEYANG’s Sinner, SS501’s Love Like This, worked with the United State’s sentimental ballad top liner Laura Brian for three years to make EXO’s Growl FX’s Electric Shock. This time the special lyric writer Seo Ji eum joined to make the song even more perfect. [/QUOTE]

That's quite a rough translation, but it seems like the people who worked on the song have a pretty good pedigree. I checked out the mini album and it seems solid overall.

Pendulum

OMG
Hyojung
tumblr_nvv1b9xyXs1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1cc9PdB1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxmiI3Td1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

JinE
tumblr_nvv1nsKymJ1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1mqsm5F1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxl0oMOm1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

Mimi
tumblr_nvv1rwpuBv1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1r4lhFq1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxjcE5CH1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

YooA
tumblr_nvv1p9Bahq1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1opd00A1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxhySpR81uotx9no1_1280.jpg

Seunghee
tumblr_nvv1xe2wWC1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1ws3eX51uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxggQCwo1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

Jiho
tumblr_nvv1u3Hm4z1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1tg9T451uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxexKeSF1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

Binnie
tumblr_nvv19cxroL1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv18qTTUG1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxd39CRI1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

Arin
tumblr_nvv1j6j5Ek1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvv1i7IbfX1uotx9no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nvuxawmr4l1uotx9no1_1280.jpg

No No Eul

It pains me to say this, especially after all the positive comments, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by Closer. It's a nice enough song for sure. Surpisingly chill and low-key. It's not really grabbing me though.

Wow, rookies of the year. Gfriend has been also good, but not as original and refreshing as Oh My Girl. Hope B1A4 fans unleash their crazy and make these girls net at least some runner up spot at music shows.

On that note, I've often wondered whether Lovelyz' popularity is largely attributable to Infinite's fanbase. I mean, it's not like anybody else likes them. :p

*YuShanGAF reporting for duty*

I don't understand the point of this show. Is their company that desperate to garner attention and/or increase sales? If you're going to be unnecessarily cruel... well... let's be honest, do the two tall ones even do anything in the group? Still CBA to learn their names.

I'm preemptively SMH at the inevitable, "lulz, we pranked you guys; everyone can stay" plot twist from their company.

Yeah, I think that's the 'best' way this can end but... urgh.

Nobody wins in this situation.

Yuna & Seolhyun said:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It pains me to say this, especially after all the positive comments, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by Closer. It's a nice enough song for sure. Surpisingly chill and low-key. It's not really grabbing me though.

On that note, I've often wondered whether Lovelyz' popularity is largely attributable to Infinite's fanbase. I mean, it's not like anybody else likes them. :p
*responding to unrelated comments as together* Closer is everything Lovelyz should have been.

Dice

Lovelyz clearly has much potential among its members, but the songs/concepts? Is this the same Peru who bashed Apink for 3 years?

Peru

The 'concept' is basic but it's better to keep it simple and basic consistently and focus on building a musical identity, and they have. They haven't shopped around for the usual suspect producers, they've created a relationship with their own team of creators and shaped their character. From the pre-debut tracks like the brilliant "Delight" (Yoo Ji Ae) to their latest, when you think of Lovelyz you think of gentle earworms on a warm bed of synths. That one mindblowing single is perhaps some ways off, but this has also allowed them to also release solid, coherent albums / EPs.

A Pink I came around on some time ago, put tracks of theirs on my year-end lists several times (what I really hated was the lyrics to their first single) - they have a few really, really great singles, but they're too inconsistent.

Peru

There's a welcome gentleness to the production that k-pop perhaps has been lacking. As much as I love the kitchen sink mentality, this kind of elegant synth pop has too long only been heard in J-pop. If anything Closer is inspired by Lovelyz and we should all rejoice at a new trend establishing itself.

Dice

Cute, self-assured ideas are one thing, but memorable melodies and captivating experiences are another. Lovelyz has just always left me wanting, and then easily forgetting. Closer has gorgeous melodies searching out a minor scale with lush harmonic layers and production that engulfed me in depths of aural beauty. I'm always saying songs need some stank put on them because a large Korean demographic seems captivated by sterile pastels, unable to even handle something so pungent as cream. However this song, while devoid of stank, takes the fairy concept to emotive dark woods, as the befitting mv depicts. You're right that it was long left in Jpop, but I don't see how Lovelyz fits in. Totally different world to me. Flower would be a closer match, although they usually have more sophisticated full ballad structure/melody.

Peru

I really like the melodies, though. Light on their feet, not dour like much k-pop mid tempo, but still with a melancholy edge, and not cloying, put on cutesy. Not peak Flower levels, sure, but they're aiming for solid, and having a sound I like - a sound at all, that they stick with, puts them above most k-pop rookies.

Dice

I do hope OMG sticks with something at least for a while. Between their debut and this, I'm drawing memories of After School releasing fresh, compelling songs yet overall crafting a bipolar identity that only their niche fanbase understands. It's too early to make the call, but it is a potential danger that has claimed too many rookies. Girls Day is the only one I can immediately think of that escaped without leaning on one of the big name producers to grant them stability.

OMG > Lovelyzzzzz

The sooner you deal with this, the better.
Closer = fairy-dol
Lovelyz = fairy-dull

llehuty

I do hope OMG sticks with something at least for a while. Between their debut and this, I'm drawing memories of After School releasing fresh, compelling songs yet overall crafting a bipolar identity that only their niche fanbase understands. It's too early to make the call, but it is a potential danger that has claimed too many rookies. Girls Day is the only one I can immediately think of that escaped without leaning on one of the big name producers to grant them stability.

Damn, I was actually thinking of OMG being After School-lite right before reading this post. And I disagree, not every group needs to be A-pink releasing the same track all the time. Groups can get popular when they are trying a different sound (AOA, Girl's Day and, to a certain extent, EXID). I think it's actually the way to go for nugus, try things until they get a hit, and then start building up from there. Not every group has the luck of getting it right on the first try like Gfriend.

Pendulum

New debut - ATT "Temptation" (or Temtation going by the YouTube description)

Watching it led me to the same song being put out in January this year by a group called ZZBEst. They also had another song - "La La La". No MV, no stage debut, nothing. Not sure what the connection is with ATT, but it's a shame they've disappeared (or never appeared) like that.

feist_

Banned
From production, to choreo and other elements, OMG have been a cut above Gfriend and Lovelyz this entire time. "Closer" serves to further highlight that, so it's nice seeing more attention going their way.

While I do agree with Peru to some extent on Lovelyz' approach, I don't see any recent similar-ish nugus with material that has the feel of the layering in "Cupid," with the build up to Seunghee hitting that high note at the end.

Twice's upcoming debut has to be given some leeway, though, with the nature of how the group was formed, varying degrees of individual training and the language barrier between certain members (despite Korean being their common language). I'm only looking for them to have near-"Hush" or "Melting" level of quality... if that. Anything better, or more consistent is a bonus.

PopuLadyGAF: Let's remember better times*: Popu Lady [融化了 Melted] Official MV HD

*With a song that's of obviously lower quality than some of what's currently being discussed here.

JKTrix

The editing at the end of this week's Running Man got me slightly choked, particularly when they flashed back to the first episode
with a bit of revisionist history
d3YJUC5.jpg

Pendulum

What the (Unpretty Rapstar 2 spoiler)
Starship's EXY is joining the show. That's now 3 additional rappers.

---

So which government scandal is this IU dating news meant to hide?

vanty

How many decades of culture change will it take for Korean men to be mature enough be appealing to someone their own age.

Peru

Happy it's not some bland idol, but maaaan, when are the album teasers coming out?

Edit: Oh nice, it actually gave us, at least, confirmation IU's shooting an MV

Uaena! I'm shooting a music video (of all occasion).
I was surprised by a sudden news but I know you guys must have been more shocked than I. I apologize for the surprise... I also apologize for not letting you know earlier.
If you say that I should have been more careful, I'm sorry about that too.
We've been together for about two years now. We've first met on the radio and I fell for him at first sight haha.
He's a boyfriend I learn a lot from, and I'm grateful for him. We're good, we fight, we get disappointed, we're thankful... we're just in a typical relationship.
I've been wondering what would be the best way to reveal the news to you guys but it seems like Dispatch stole my thunder. ...Haha it's a bit sudden but it looks like I'll have to be public about my relationship.
We might pretend nothing's wrong but it might be a bit of an awkward atmostphere for awhile here, no? I apologize for making this delightful and cute place that way. And even with all of that I'm so thankful for my Uaena who are looking out for my feelings first before anything else. All the worries, support, and disappointment... I apologize and I thank you so much.
I've simulated this a thousand times but when it happens I don't know what to say... For now I will vigilantly do my work. I sincerely hope your day isn't too bad because of me... I'll be back!

When they first met> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zre0VsvkQBE

Pendulum

I heard LE's "leggo"

Legit or someone being copycat?

LE's popularized it (so much so that the EXID fanclub name is LEGGO), but I've heard it in a number of songs. Miryo's "Leggo" and 4Minute's "Crazy" for instance. The use in Korean songs was originally taken from American hip hop.

luso

...engulfed me in depths of aural beauty.
This needs to be quoted.

Taeyeon - I (feat Kanto) M!countdown
I've rarely seen her shining like this, she was truly enjoying herself !

/dead
She's really shining! <3
MPD cam

Edit: IU dating news. Well, two years is long time in entertainment world, I guess is going well for both.

Troll thread detected.
Love is needed.
EK93f.jpg

Sunny cannot contain herself.
d78384c4gw1ewu8q0webpg20dc0dcu0z.gif

Not blonde anymore.
tumblr_nvwwa1Yojk1tf3y8bo1_540.jpg

Top Bottom