• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

roaSone

I.O.I - Dream Girls Debut Stage

I'm liking the song a little better live, plus it sounds like everyone in the building is screaming the fan chant.

And finally; TWICE First Win!
IOI's popularity is no joke indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick off a win soon enough.
Talking about winnings, Jihyo tried so hard to keep her calm during the speech but when the encore song started, she just couldn't handle it anymore.
Congrats girl, you worked hard for these past 10 years.

Also, 10k+ pts for a 'rookie' is sick.

Pendulum

rcyYqS9.gif

They got their first win 1 year to the day (May 5th) after the first episode of Sixteen. Congrats, girls. Was nice that Somi was also up there on stage with them at the end there. MPD camera of the win/encore.

Also on M Countdown, Oh My Girl "1 Step 2 Steps".

Edit: Just realised that the 3 best female rookie dancers imho are on stage together there (Chungha, Momo, YooA). I need a special stage.

---

More AOA teasers

No No Eul

Choa though.

Thinking about small company groups that actually did make it big I remembered Girl's Day and realized I don't remember anything from them since... Hello Bubble? So I looked up what they're doing besides TV shows and I guess they've been promoting in Japan. So easy to lose track of people in this business.

It really is, especially with the more popular up and coming groups releasing material every three or four months. I sort of forget about the more established groups who only turn up once a year or so.

I do hope Girl's Day have a decent comeback soon. I really didn't care for their last round of promotions at all, and their string of breakthrough singles feels like forever ago now.

Woo! Thoroughly deserved.

IOI's popularity is no joke indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick off a win soon enough.

What was the last girl group to win on a music show with their debut single I wonder? It'd be amazing if I.O.I managed to pull that off.

I feel like Dream Girls has grown on me quite a bit over the last 24 hours. The mini as a whole is really solid too.

Pendulum

I'm going to need receipts that prove that Yooa it's at the level of the other 2.

First, top 3 =/= exact same level. Regarding YooA, she's precise with great control of her body movements and dances with 100% energy and with a mind to putting on a performance. But besides being on point for the OMG promotions, there's a bunch of shorter videos out there on variety shows/V App where she does modern dance which you can find, but here's a longer one of her pre-debut (edit: another, with dance school classmates). There's no other rookie that debuted last/this year that should be in that top 3 imho.

Peru

Dream Girls is down to #18 on Melon dudes. They managed to make the thirsty Korean public not care about IOI anymore.

Pendulum

Nana has removed "After School" and "Orange Caramel" from her Instagram bio. The last person to have made the news doing this was Minzy.

Kuno

How are these Tiffany album previews so good...? I'm not really a big fan of hers so I wasn't expecting anything. Exhibit A:

tumblr_ng5xfuXtLg1rrjbeno1_500.gif

In case anyone didn't get a chance to hear the 90-second previews before they were scrubbed from YouTube by SM, here are direct links from Apple: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Merrymint

How are these Tiffany album previews so good...? I'm not really a big fan of hers so I wasn't expecting anything. Exhibit A:

tumblr_ng5xfuXtLg1rrjbeno1_500.gif

In case anyone didn't get a chance to hear the 90-second previews before they were scrubbed from YouTube by SM, here are direct links from Apple: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wanted to hate it, but its pretty damn good.

and Yay Twice. :D

llehuty

Yo, this is good. R3hab could be a nice addition to k-pop, have been checking hime for a while already, and he definitely knows how to pull off a banger.

I need them to perform it at KCON France.

First, top 3 =/= exact same level. Regarding YooA, she's precise with great control of her body movements and dances with 100% energy and with a mind to putting on a performance. But besides being on point for the OMG promotions, there's a bunch of shorter videos out there on variety shows/V App where she does modern dance which you can find, but here's a longer one of her pre-debut (edit: another, with dance school classmates). There's no other rookie that debuted last/this year that should be in that top 3 imho.
Really not impressed with her dancing by the numbers. Might be fault of the weak ass choreo, though.

9Muses Sojin is a way better "rookie" dancer
than her, though.

I bet there is at least one quality dancer in Cosmic Girls and maybe Sonamoo, but who has time to check that?

feist_

Banned
Someone ask llehuty to check his PMs. Danke.

Taeyeon fans seem oddly interested in Jessica's comeback. If it's a success, what then?

Haven't listened to I.O.I.'s mini, but the debut single is very underwhelming. It's repetitive and nondescript to the point of not being interesting enough to even qualify as a "bad" song necessarily.

������
Twice win so good Conc made his annual cameo.

Jihyo with the maximum level crying at the start of the encore.
Accounts of her total trainee period vary, but at ~7-10 years she has essentially been a trainee for half her life. Calculate SNSD's career since their debut until "The Story Begins" was released. Jihyo has likely been a trainee for most or all of that time frame.

If you're pretty enough or have passable dancing/singing skills, entertainment companies will gladly push up your debut in a fraction of that time.

It's doubtful she'll ever be as popular as any of the remaining 8 members of Twice, get similar acknowledgement or praise for her looks/charms/etc. The win has to have meant a lot.

Also, I could be thinking of someone else, but isn't Jihyo supposed to be one of the biggest criers in the group?

Nana has removed "After School" and "Orange Caramel" from her Instagram bio. The last person to have made the news doing this was Minzy.
*sigh* Thanks, Pledis...

Not passing out on stage Binnie is best Binnie.

I think you know my stance on YooA's dancing. OMG have some of the best choreo of any nugus, though it doesn't necessarily lend itself to highly impressive individual or group results. Still, it's very clear how good YooA is just watching her during a given stage. Mimi is also good but YooA 's movements "pop." Chungha and Momo are more immediately impressive (for most viewers) and entirely different in what makes them good dancers. While I don't agree with the objections, I can see why people might disagree with your mention of the three as top tier.

Admittedly, as an ex-Fany stan, I too am pretty surprised at how great these are I haven't found a song that I don't like so I'm actually really excited for this now lol.

Anyway, Fany's always had that drive to be great at what she does and you can clearly hear that in this album since she doesn't have to compete with 7 other girls to show that drive.

As for that gif, that's actually really easy to explain... those in-ear monitors/headphones contain both the backing track and all the vocals and they're left in the same setting the entire time, the sound guy doesn't mess with it so it wouldn't screw up the singers. And it''s as simple as Fany singing too loud, overpowering the backing track and clipping the monitors causing some distortion. I've seen it happen a lot of times back when I was studying to be an audio engineer in college lol.

Broank

Tiffany's album sounds great. I wonder if SM gonna fire their Itunes person again though (unless the same person that fucked up releasing MrMr early is still there somehow) That snippet of Jessica's in the teaser sounds good too.

I'm going to need receipts that prove that Yooa it's at the level of the other 2.

I'm admittedly not too familiar with Momo or the other girls dancing (she's from produce 101?) but the thing I really love about Yooa is she really nails the feel of each song. Weather it's being powerful or putting out tons of energy flying around the stage or having restraint she just has a knack for the right movements and vibe. Like in Closer she's always all ethereal and precise. In Hot Summer Night she's always all cute and mouthing the lyrics. 1 step 2 step and Liar Liar she glides around all effortlessly. First time I saw her was a clip where she was doing Lion Heart and I was thinking like "aaaahhhh so that's how it's meant to be done" lol

Anyways here's a few other dance tidbits I've seen-

-Random dance
-Yooa & Mimi dance battle or something
-Yooa in the stripped shirt and shorts @ :30 seconds w/ mimi again
-Little dance w/ Mimi once again
-There are a bunch of videos when she was younger practicing at a dance school or something

tumblr_o2jdujcero1ujrtdzrw.gif

You could add Mimi the rapping Picasso to the rookies dancers too (I think it was her birthday a few days ago)
ezgif-643492012xmdj4.gif

Also funny enough Yooa's brother Junsun Yu is with the dance workshop that does choreography for JYP/Twice. lol

Pendulum

Dear Jellyfish Entertainment,

Fuck you, you miserable bastards.

Yours sincerely,

No No Eul

Why? With the contract allowing this, if I was CEO I'd be doing the same thing. And with I.O.I always being temporary, I was already looking forward to the future Jellyfish group since the Sejeong/Nayoung/Mina performance on episode 1 of Produce 101.

No No Eul

Wait, are you saying that the debut of this new group won't mean the immediate end of Sejeong and Mina's participation in I.O.I? In that case, I shall pen a letter of apology.

Dear Jellyfish Entertainment,

Please disregard my previous letter of complaint... for now.

Yours sincerely,

No No Eul

P.S. I'm watching you.

QgsrjnU.jpg

Pendulum

Wait, are you saying that the debut of this new group won't mean the immediate end of Sejeong and Mina's participation in I.O.I? In that case, I shall pen a letter of apology.

Immediate, no. But apparently after the debut promotions any agency with a member in I.O.I can debut them in their own group. Those that haven't debuted with an agency group can return for the next I.O.I promotion round (whenever that is). That's the current understanding, but I've not seen 100% proof and I've also seen people say that YMC will be promoting I.O.I twice as a full group and twice with a sub-unit (but we know YMC is kinda cheap/shady so who knows). In any case Jellyfish has now denied the report.

---

Edit: BTS performing at both LA and NY KCON.

llehuty

Ok, I'll try to stop tracking Seunghee to check YooA's dancing. I'm really up for some good dancing in k-pop.

Someone ask llehuty to check his PMs. Danke.
Huh, I haven't received a PM in ages, weird.

Although... wait a second...

*removes feist from ignore list*

erm,, try now again?

I'm sorry, I was just protecting my cheap phone from your megaposts ;_; I still read all your posts (when I get home).

So, I find this really interesting. Surprised it doesn't sound generic so far. And Tiffany got solid production, but it seems like the title track is missing something.

I had no idea I.O.I is temporary. So anybody here have any idea what will happen to Somi? Perhaps join TWICE?

Ugh, didn't think about this possibility. Pls no.

Knowing JYP, I'm betting on "dungeon until next girl group debut" with the occasional feature in a B-side in other JYP releases.

Edit: Dat new page feel
QW6t0Pr.gif

Is it me, or has this thread been getting more active in the last couple of days?

Top Bottom