• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

tumblr_lseoob598I1qia0fb.gif

RM has had runs of weak episodes since 2012, this isn't a problem exclusive to 2014. I would argue that 2013 was almost as bad as 2014 for that. 2014 is the shittiest year because there are only three episodes (207, 218 and 223) that I would recommend without hesitation.

The show is well,well past its prime. Stop at Episode 100 and I don't think you're missing much when it comes to the very best of Running Man.

I agree with you on everything, but I disagree on 2013 being as bad as 2014. There's just so many episodes this year that I've skipped, stopped halfway or whatever just because it was terrible. Meanwhile last year, I pretty much watched everything.

But yeah, I agree it's way past on it's prime. Part of me wishes for SBS to announce that the show is almost done that way the PD's can step up their game and bring something amazing for the last few episodes. But, judging from what I'm seeing RM won't be going away for a long time due to the international fanbase. I think the moment they find another goldmine like Roommate, they're gonna start phasing it out.

Pendulum

WGM - Don't listen to your mother about your laugh, Yura.

----

Although I would recommend a few more episodes from this past year than ryan has, I have 2 main problems with Running Man as it is now:

* The cast (and crew) has relied too heavily on specific roles, and they're overplayed right now. We always know Kwangsoo is going to betray - there's no surprise. When Gary and Jihyo aren't Monday Coupling it up, they look kinda lost and often fade into the background of an episode without trying something else (unless a script point/particular guest is present to help them stand out). Haha is always the schemer, and has been for ages, but at least he also used to be the playboy, the kid, etc. A developed character is important, but no one is playing with a new side to show the viewers and they've become overly familiar - we see them running through games again and again in the same manner. The first 100 episodes or so were consistently great not only because the show's concept was fresh, but because the cast was unpredictable.

I think the cast and crew know this, and rather than change things up themselves, they’ve increasingly become more reliant on guests to provide entertainment, show a new behavior or reaction. However, when the guests don’t fire in these situations, neither does the episode. It’s why some of the best episodes recently are without guests – the cast comes in knowing they need to be at their best.

* Almost every current episode is a race (keyword: "race", not "competition", which I think has always been an important cornerstone of the show) and, as such, almost every game we watch feeds into that. The show has become more about being a spectacle rather than showcasing variety. When was the last time we had something like the earlier episodes' "A Leisurely Cup of Tea"? It was 15 to 20 minutes of just talking - no running, no falling over in water or mud, no mechanical contraptions - but it displayed how genuinely funny the cast can be just interacting with each other. Segments like this, which got the cast close and bonded them, are some of the best to watch and which are sorely lacking now.

I think boring or overly complicated games in recent episodes are a symptom of this. PDs are searching for the next outrageous moment, and then rehashing those that have worked to some extent, instead of looking towards the cast and guest dynamics to utilise. Create a situation for them to play in and mould, don’t always throwing them into a rule-based game.

JustinBB7

I just read on wiki last night that one of the PD's quit Running Man last month.

On the November 19, 2014, The head PD of Running Man, Cho Hyo-jin, has announced that he left the variety show after 4 years of working with them.[5]

Wonder if this will be good or bad for the show. Hopefully good. Which one was this? I don't know the PD's by name. I hope it's not the Kojima looking guy, he was pretty cool.

Wonder if this will be good or bad for the show. Hopefully good. Which one was this? I don't know the PD's by name. I hope it's not the Kojima looking guy, he was pretty cool.

Yup, it's the Kojima looking guy and like Kojima, he's the one who came up the foundation of the show up to the ridiculousness challenges that take place.

They actually lost two of their PD's this year, I dunno who it was but I remember the other guy went to Inkigayo. AFAIK, there's only one PD left from the original trio who started the show and that cute lady PD who did the bungee thing in Macao.

The camera people are still the same I believe but the rest of the staff seems to be new.

dokish

Banned
Going to Brazil on the 9th and I will be back by January. Korean women are safe
for now.

If my plane crashes, I just wanna say I love K Pop GAF!

JustinBB7

Yup, it's the Kojima looking guy and like Kojima, he's the one who came up the foundation of the show up to the ridiculousness challenges that take place.

They actually lost two of their PD's this year, I dunno who it was but I remember the other guy went to Inkigayo. AFAIK, there's only one PD left from the original trio who started the show and that cute lady PD who did the bungee thing in Macao.

The camera people are still the same I believe but the rest of the staff seems to be new.

I'm guessing they have replacements, any word on who they are and what they did before? You rarely see the lady PD I noticed, only hear her voice sometimes.

Maybe the change will bring some new ideas to the show.

I'm guessing they have replacements, any word on who they are and what they did before? You rarely see the lady PD I noticed, only hear her voice sometimes.

Maybe the change will bring some new ideas to the show.

Yeah, last time I saw the lady PD was when HJY, Gookjuice, BJY and a few others were there. Somebody dragged her onscreen during that epic dance party they had.

Speaking of which, that was probably the best RM ep I've seen all year and maybe even in the top 10 of all time.

That's definitely not the word I'd pick to translate it... lol. Pretty different connotation.

Should be more like "Why am I such a loser?" or something.

Holy hell that's an epic mistranslation... asshole + loser = douchebag is the way I see it lol.

ramyeon

Yeah, last time I saw the lady PD was when HJY, Gookjuice, BJY and a few others were there. Somebody dragged her onscreen during that epic dance party they had.

Speaking of which, that was probably the best RM ep I've seen all year and maybe even in the top 10 of all time.

Holy hell that's an epic mistranslation... asshole + loser = douchebag is the way I see it lol.
Yeah it's pretty bad. My guess would be that it's a translation of a translation (Probably translated in a language like Chinese first). Fan subs tend to be done that way. Douchebag definitely has a connotation of being a bit pompous or conceited, whereas the word there (찌질) is more like nerd, loser etc.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Couldn't find much info anywhere, but...Jewelry is done for? Noooooooo!

Also...Running Man ain't dead. It's just like modern day Simpsons. It's kind of what you used to love, with the same people...But...Kind of bland and a bit boring. It's very salvageable IMO. But they are getting older and I think that Suk Jin can't handle stuff like nametag ripping and bells chasing anymore...Which is a shame. He's my favorite.

RM has always been hit or miss for me, no one year has ever been perfect and dry spells happen. 2014 was a big one is all, has some fun episodes though for me personally that is.

llehuty

Didn't some of the original PDs leave to work on China's Running Man too?

Has anyone tried with the chinese version? Is it any good? Maybe that's the way to get some fresh running man...

Couldn't find much info anywhere, but...Jewelry is done for? Noooooooo!

They have been dead for a while. RIP Star Empire groups. Let's see if they get their shit together for 2015.

Also...Running Man ain't dead. It's just like modern day Simpsons. It's kind of what you used to love, with the same people...But...Kind of bland and a bit boring. It's very salvageable IMO. But they are getting older and I think that Suk Jin can't handle stuff like nametag ripping and bells chasing anymore...Which is a shame. He's my favorite.

I disagree. The current Simpsons barely has any moments of brilliance in the show. Meanwhile there's always a segment or two in every ep of RM that's gold.

Didn't some of the original PDs leave to work on China's Running Man too?

Now that you mention, I think that's one of the reasons why Kojima PD left. He went to China and exec PD'd the show until it got it's footing then promptly left, never to fully return to the variety world.

Oh btw, pretty lady PD definitely still works with the show. I just saw her during in ep 221 sitting by the tripods during the dig and radish race lol.

JustinBB7

That episode was amazing, the guests just blended in so well with the Running Man cast. And Hong Jin-Young is a goddess.

hong-jin-young_1395715836_20140324_HongJinYoung_2.jpg

lol, is that the actual translation?

In general their translations have been off in terms of what they choose to say and just straight up quality. Misspelled words, missing letters, and words going off frame in every show they work on. Seriously need to take an extra 10mins and check it before uploading.

milkham

lol, is that the actual translation?
rpjzsf7.png

is that kshownow? they always had terrible subs, i have no idea what is happening in korean but the english subs can go through whole segments where i have no idea what they're writing, or trying to write.

Pendulum

is that kshownow?

Yes, that's kshownow. They're dirty subs (I go there for the speed), but I can always make out what is being said when the subs are misspelled, the grammar is incorrect, or a word is missing. Had to check on this mistranslation though. And now I'm left wondering if the show's MC really is Yo Chae Sok.

Edit: Actually, I am mistaken. Thought the place I usually watch RM at just embedded KSN, but I checked and I see it doesn't. Was watching KSN direct yesterday because I had time to spare and my usual place hadn't posted the episode yet.

----

9Muses Cast Ep 3

----

JYP visited Jackson on Roommate. When can we get Lizzy visiting Nana?

----

SM Entertainment to Take Legal Action against Plagiarism of f(x)’s “Rum Pum Pum Pum” (in an advertisement issued by the Philippines' Department of Health)

vanty

Dramafever subs were fast enough before but seem to have become much faster recently. Really no reason for the KSN garbage now unless you literally need subs as fast as possible.

Top Bottom