• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider: Battride War |OT| Now, it's showtime!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It would be one thing if the unplayable riders didn't have proper movesets that could work, but you fight Knight or Skull, and you'll see them use similar moves to your own.

Also, why does Fourze have like an actual Dynasty Warriors moveset and everyone else has like a Basara moveset?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It would be one thing if the unplayable riders didn't have proper movesets that could work, but you fight Knight or Skull, and you'll see them use similar moves to your own.

Also, why does Fourze have like an actual Dynasty Warriors moveset and everyone else has like a Basara moveset?

Only way to reasonably incorporate the ridiculous number of Astro Switches he has, probably.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So far I'm enjoying Faiz, Blade, Kuuga, and Agito the best.
Not as much of a fan as OOO or W as I would have thought.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Figure I might as well write up a bit about all the characters. My thoughts on them, etc.

Wizard - I hate, hate, hate his basic combo string. It's overly flashy but generally ineffective (much like Wizard himself, heyoooooooo). Kick Strike is also generally pretty useless too, unless the enemy is stunned beforehand. Water Style is zzzzz. Hurricane Style is pretty good, probably the best of his styles (just like in CH). Land Style is zzz too, but Defend is at least useful when you're defending Memory Pods and stuff. All Dragon is basically Wizard's saving grace, since the Dragon attacks are all super powerful (Land Dragon and Hurricane Dragon especially).

Beast - Er...haven't used him yet...I'll get back to you on this one.

Fourze - Plays like a Dynasty Warriors character in a game full of Sengoku Basara characters, which is interesting. His base form is pretty good, and fun to play as. I've only unlocked Elec States out of his secondary forms so far, but it's pretty good too. Cosmic States is okay as far as ultimates go, I suppose.

Meteor - Dear god, Meteor is a combo machine. Basic combo, followed by his Triangle special, jump canceled into an aerial attack, followed by an aerial special. Then just repeat the process. So much fun. Probably one of the most fun characters in the game, in my opinion. Meteor Storm is pretty good, and its initial attack does a load of damage. Surprisingly one of my favorite characters.

OOO - Not really as fun as one would think. TaToBa is okay, and his Rider Kick is a lot easier to aim than a lot of other characters', since it basically only hits directly in front of where he's standing. It's a bit disappointing that all his other forms only have one special move each. GataKiriBa's is cool, even if the duplicates are made up of like five polygons each. :lol SaGouZou's is probably the most useful, since it pulls in the surrounding enemies. LatoRatah's is super hard to aim (against bosses, I mean) and generally not that useful. But LatoRatah does have the best basic combo string out of all of OOO's forms, so there's that. PutoTyrano is decent.

Birth - Eh, not so much a fan of Birth in this game. He's slow and doesn't have a lot of terribly useful attacks. The gun doesn't do a lot of damage, and his various CLAWs aren't super useful either. His diving body press thing is good against crowds, though. And I guess he can German Suplex dudes, so that's something.

W - Not bad. Lots of forms, though none of them particularly stand out as more useful than any other, which I guess is a good thing. LunaMetal's Maximum Drive is super good against crowds. Any of the Trigger forms are generally useless, except maybe HeatTrigger, since Trigger Explosion does a lot of damage. CJX is fun, but all of its attacks have a lot of startup on them, which kinda sucks.

W Fang Joker - Honestly I'm surprised Fang Joker is even in the game. Glad he is, though. He's fast and has a lot of combo potential. Shoulder Fang in particular is REALLY good for comboing. His ultimate is a bit disappointing, but that's understandable since he didn't have any alternate forms in the show (hell, he IS an alternate form).

Accel - From what I've played of him, he's not too bad. Slow, but that's to be expected. He's got decent range for a melee character, though, and he's really powerful. Haven't unlocked Booster Upgrade yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works. Trial is awesome, though.

Decade - As is always the case, Decade is super broken, simply because you can use the Kamenride cards to turn into OTHER broken Riders. :lol Ignoring that, his base form is okay. Attackride Blast is next to useless, but Attackride Slash makes up for it by being AWESOME. Fast, powerful, and combos well. His Rider Kick is really good, too. Complete Form is interesting, since it's the only ultimate form (to my knowledge) that allows you to do your initial "super move" again by pressing R2. Which is good since it's useless otherwise.

Kiva - Kiva's base moveset is boring as hell. Garulu is a little better, since it has a great basic combo string, but Garulu Bite is almost useless since it has a super long startup (the animation for said startup is AMAZING, though). Haven't unlocked Dogga or Bashaa yet, unfortunately. Emperor is decent enough thanks to Dogga Fever being SUPER powerful, but the initial attack (the drill Rider Kick) is super hard to aim and misses frequently. And the Zanbat slash is stupid as hell. Doesn't do nearly enough damage and takes forever if you whiff, leaving you ridiculously open.

Den-O - Goddamn, Den-O. Four characters in one. Sword Form is really fun, though hearing "ORE NO HISSATSU WAZA" over and over is a bit tiring after a while, heh. Rod Form is by far the most useful of the forms. Its Triangle move wipes out crowds like nobody's business, and the rod impale/Rider Kick move is great too. Axe Form is pretty good, though I wish Dynamic Chop had super armor (it really should). Gun Form is meh, and surprisingly slow, actually. Good Full Charge, though. Haven't gotten to try Liner Form yet. Climax Form is fun, and pretty powerful, too.

Kabuto - Kabuto is really fun to use, but also a bit difficult. Clock Up is fun, but it can be hard to judge how much time you have left in it, and what moves end it automatically. Having to do the "1-2-3" before the Rider Kick is AWESOME, but can also mess things up occasionally, since it's easy to screw up the button press and do another move instead. Masked Form isn't terribly useful at all, which is disappointing. It's cool that it's in, though. Hyper Kabuto is great, though not being able to Hyper Clock Up is a little disappointing. Maximum Hyper Cyclone and Typhoon are great, though.

Hibiki - Hibiki is a killing machine. His Ongekibou Rekka is so broken it's hilarious. You can just sit back all day and toss fireballs while everything around you dies. Bakuretsu Kyouda no Kata is AMAZING for combos, too. Haven't gotten Hibiki Kurenai form yet (I actually don't even remember if it's in the game, but I think it is). Armed Hibiki is disappointing, though. Best I can tell, the only difference is his basic combo string is different. The initial attack is super powerful, though. Good stuff. Overall Hibiki is great, and I'd say he's one of the best characters in the game, which is honestly shocking.

Blade - Eh, Blade's only so-so, though I haven't unlocked all his cards or Jack Form yet. His Circle rapid slash move is really good. His cards are all fairly decent, too (at least the ones I have unlocked thus far). Slash should always be on, Kick is really powerful, Thunder KILLS crowds, etc. King Form is probably one of the most powerful ultimate forms in the game, too.

Faiz - Suuuuuuper fun to play as. Kinda a combo machine, too, since his Faiz Shot hits a wide range and is fairly fast if you don't charge it. Crimson Smash is hilariously hard to use, though. Very range-dependent. Does a lot of damage/hits to make up for it, though. Faiz Edge move is ripped straight out of Climax Heroes, which I find a bit funny. Axel Form is pretty cool, though the multi-Crimson Smash seems really underpowered. Blaster Form is great. The initial super Crimson Smash is stupid powerful, and the flying Sword Mode slash is really good too. Another of my favorites to use.

Ryuki - Meh. Don't really like Ryuki that much. All of his moves save for Guard Vent have ridiculously long startup and not a lot of power to make up for it. Guard Vent is great, though. Strike Vent is more useful later on when you gain the ability to charge it, I guess. Survive Form is okay though. Still, not a big fan of Ryuki in this.

Agito - Agito's pretty fun, though again like OOO, the fact that his alt forms only have one move each is a bit disappointing. However, that said, Storm Form's special is one of the most broken things in the game. Lots of power, hits a TON of times, and has great range. Flame Form is less useful, but still good. Shining is decent, I suppose.

Kuuga - I did not expect to like Kuuga in this as much as I do. All of his forms are really fun to use, and Pegasus Form in particular is broken as shit. So easy to rack up huge combos with it. Amazing Mighty is really good, too, though I've had a few cases where the initial explosion attack would throw the enemy behind me, and make the last couple hits miss. Weird.

Overall, I'd say my top five characters are Meteor, Den-O, Faiz, W, and Decade. Still have a lot of playing to do, though, so maybe that'll change!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Den-O a lot too. Kabuto's kick is fun, but his other form... It has the same problem as the show, why would you EVER want to play in that form?

squall23

Agito - Agito's pretty fun, though again like OOO, the fact that his alt forms only have one move each is a bit disappointing. However, that said, Storm Form's special is one of the most broken things in the game. Lots of power, hits a TON of times, and has great range. Flame Form is less useful, but still good. Shining is decent, I suppose.
Actually, all of Agito's forms have complete move sets. The stupid thing is that you have to grind to unlock them. Flame Form is so much better when the other moves are unlocked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kindaaa appreciate the grind a little though. I mean, Dynasty Warriors games, you can unlock everything major after about 3 battles. At least this constantly gives you something to strive for rather than just better stats.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Actually, all of Agito's forms have complete move sets. The stupid thing is that you have to grind to unlock them. Flame Form is so much better when the other moves are unlocked.

Oh. I wondered if this was the case. Hm. Probably should have checked the movelist first. Yeah, that's kinda silly then.

squall23

I kindaaa appreciate the grind a little though. I mean, Dynasty Warriors games, you can unlock everything major after about 3 battles. At least this constantly gives you something to strive for rather than just better stats.
Yeah, but this game is absolutely inconsistent with who gets what, how much, and when.

Agito's, Kiva's, Fourze's, and Blade's unlock rates are extremely slow while guys like Kuuga gets everything in like 3 or 4 battles at most.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just unlocked the secondary riders. I like that Accel can kind of 'save' his energy by morphing into a bike and saving your musou. I think OOO can do that too. I just wish Trial form was permanent. Much better design.

I guess I'm the opposite. I found Birth the most fun to play then Accel then Meteor. It's also fighting alongside Skull because all I see him do is pace around.

Also gun form's O+Triangle is broken. It's AOE is just as good as Staff form because it's so quick. Base combo sucks though, but what do you expect, it's a gun.

Faiz - Suuuuuuper fun to play as. Kinda a combo machine, too, since his Faiz Shot hits a wide range and is fairly fast if you don't charge it. Crimson Smash is hilariously hard to use, though. Very range-dependent. Does a lot of damage/hits to make up for it, though. Faiz Edge move is ripped straight out of Climax Heroes, which I find a bit funny. Axel Form is pretty cool, though the multi-Crimson Smash seems really underpowered. Blaster Form is great. The initial super Crimson Smash is stupid powerful, and the flying Sword Mode slash is really good too. Another of my favorites to use.

So no constant "Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge."?

I'm super tempted to break that bank. I want those songs, especially Next Level.

It's tempting, but the game lets you do custom soundtracks that you can assign per stage (if I understood the submenus well enough) so I'd rather just do that instead to save money. If I'm wrong however, then yeah dat fanservice be strong :p.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
While I hate to use a Family Guy reference and a gifsoup gif
stewie-s-soda-o.gif

This is exactly what going out of Trial mode feels like

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So no constant "Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge. Exceed Charge."?

Oh, CONSTANT Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge

JadanSheridan

Neo Member
Oh, CONSTANT Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge Exceed Charge

Throw in a few "READY!"-ies and that's very accurate, lol.

Great write-up on the characters, by the way. I think a few of the characters are better than you give them credit for, but overall it's a good list of impressions.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Throw in a few "READY!"-ies and that's very accurate, lol.

Great write-up on the characters, by the way. I think a few of the characters are better than you give them credit for, but overall it's a good list of impressions.

Oh, you're probably right. I played Kiva again after that writeup and realized his base moveset is way better than I thought it was. If you make use of his jump cancel ability, you can string together some really impressive combos.

Ryuki still sucks though.

JadanSheridan

Neo Member
Seriously. But then again, the show was actually like that too. Knight is clearly the main character (the only reason Shinji is Ryuki is because of happenstance... at first anyways). Come to think of it, a fair bit of Rider shows do that, haha.

But yeah, I'd take Kamen Rider Batman over Ryuki any day. Heck, at the very least have both of them.

The only character I don't really like is FangJoker... blasphemy I know, but his moveset is weak (the only redeeming one is ShoulderFang) and the same four "HA, HA, HA, HA!" sounds as he punches get annoying really fast. Which is sad because I love Fang, I really do.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only real problem I have with Fang Joker is that could have easily been Skull instead.

When I think of the riders I'd like in a sequel... It's a whole lot of W and Kabuto.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm a bit confused as to why they went with just Zero Form Zeronos instead of Altair Form. Seems like an odd choice. Maybe because Deneb isn't in the game?

Which is another odd choice since Deneb's VA voices the final boss.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm a bit confused as to why they went with just Zero Form Zeronos instead of Altair Form. Seems like an odd choice. Maybe because Deneb isn't in the game?

Which is another odd choice since Deneb's VA voices the final boss.

That sucks. Deneb was amazing.

At least Yuuto (or someone standing in for his original VA) does the "ore was KANARI tsuyoi!" line. By the way, do you get to select partners in the Free Missions, or is it only in story mode?

Kind of wondering if we'll get non-Riders in future games playable, I'd love to play as the Imagins themselves, for example.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That sucks. Deneb was amazing.

At least Yuuto (or someone standing in for his original VA) does the "ore was KANARI tsuyoi!" line. By the way, do you get to select partners in the Free Missions, or is it only in story mode?

Kind of wondering if we'll get non-Riders in future games playable, I'd love to play as the Imagins themselves, for example.
17538_1200072287257_1392055357_978141_8032937_n.jpg

other than him, I'd really like to see in a sequel

Kabuto
Kick Hopper
The Bee/ZaBee
Sasword

Agito
G3

Den-O
Zeronos
New Den-O

Faiz
Psyga
Kaixa

Kiva
Arc (lol yeah right)

Ryuki
Knight
Ohja/Ouja/Android Ouya

W
Eternal
Skull
Nazca

OOO
Ankh

Decade
Diend

A lot of these are long shots, but I like to dream big.

I would say Shin/Black/Black RX etc, but if they do Showa they need to do ALL of them. And I want the levels to be based around the 70s/80s. ...AndI'dwantMetalHeroesinvolved

vareon

With the game seemingly a moderate success (won't know this until tomorrow's Media Create) I can imagine an expansion/sequel. I can really see them releasing an expansion with more Heisei Riders before a full sequel with Showa Riders..

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
With the game seemingly a moderate success (won't know this until tomorrow's Media Create) I can imagine an expansion/sequel. I can really see them releasing an expansion with more Heisei Riders before a full sequel with Showa Riders..

I'm actually really looking forward to the Media Create numbers. Expecting Battride to do fairly well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Logical progression would likely be.

Kamen Rider Battride War 2( featuring the newest Kamen Rider title and more riders and better fleshed out combat with charge attacks like Dynasty Warriors and co-op.)
Super Sentai whateveryoucallthis with red rangers and sixth rangers
Kamen Rider Ultimate Battride or whatever which is basically 2 but they added showa dudes and maybe a Metalder or Gavan.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Logical progression would likely be.

Kamen Rider Battride War 2( featuring the newest Kamen Rider title and more riders and better fleshed out combat with charge attacks like Dynasty Warriors and co-op.)
Kamen Rider Ultimate Battride or whatever which is basically 2 but they added showa dudes and maybe a Metalder or Gavan.

I don't want this. Just because DW is the "king" of the musou genre doesn't mean every game has to imitate it. DW style works for DW. I wouldn't want it for Battride. It works well enough for Fourze since there's no other realistic way to incorporate the ridiculous number of Astro Switches he has into the game. But in general, I prefer the more Sengoku Basara-style system that Battride uses now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't want this. Just because DW is the "king" of the musou genre doesn't mean every game has to imitate it. DW style works for DW. I wouldn't want it for Battride. It works well enough for Fourze since there's no other realistic way to incorporate the ridiculous number of Astro Switches he has into the game. But in general, I prefer the more Sengoku Basara-style system that Battride uses now.

but in Basara you have a lot more variety. Battride has far less skills. If they don't do that then they at least need some swappable (r1) abilities like Basara.

Watch Da Birdie

Super Sentai just would feel weird without the whole team, I imagine the best way to do this would be to go the Gundam route and have you play as the Mechas.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The more I play I think that Accel Trial is the most powerful ultimate form in this game. I mean, it just kills everything so fucking quickly. Even quicker than King Blade.

I don't get the point of his regular form's O ability though. I find the best method is to charge then spam the triangle skill

Super Sentai just would feel weird without the whole team, I imagine the best way to do this would be to go the Gundam route and have you play as the Mechas.

They could include the other members as bodyguards like Sengoku Basara does. Give them a limited moveset.

squall23

Yeahhhh Booster mode only has one different move than regular Accel. Lame.
I dislike how quite a few ultra forms don't have completely different movesets. An exact combo string is bad enough, but the exact specials as well?

Kiva's Dogga Hammer is unlocked at level 20 (dat grind). It's slow, but it tanks well, hits hard and Dogga Thunder Slap's area is ridiculous.

Agito Burning Form is also unlocked at level 20. It gives you a free combo breaker when you transform. The form does have a time limit but it doesn't say how long nor does it tell you how long the cooldown is (there is one) before you can use it again, but you can extend the limit by levelling. Sadly, it fights exactly like Ground Form but much faster, hits harder and the Rider Kick does about the same damage as Shining Form's. It would have been even better if they gave it the Shining Caliber in single mode.

Watch Da Birdie

Anyone got a main menu translation, esp. the custom soundtrack option?

How do you use custom soundtracks on the PS3 anyway, like, your own MP3s and not the PTV Sound Edition ones. I've never done it (nor had a game that used it I guess) before.

WillyFive

Well, if they did it they could just include Kyoryugers as a full team, and then have Red Rangers from all previous teams; and make it Forever Red: The Game.

They could include the other members as bodyguards like Sengoku Basara does. Give them a limited moveset.

^ That's a good idea too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When you're in the snowy area and just fighting a boss it goes 60 FPS and it looks awesome.

I hope a sequel focuses on 60 fps. Isn't the new DW supposed to be 60 fps?

Top Bottom