• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

It's a solid enough album, no real FILLER, but it also feels a bit safe, predictable, unadventurous. I'm probably looking at a 6/10 here, there's little of the playfullness and energy that I've come to enjoy in my favorite Kanye works. It's like he's appropriating an idea of how Kanye sounds and what comes out is a solid impersonation. Some of the beats are REALLY good, but a lot of the verses by various guests are also pointless and just add too much length.

Ashhong

Peru said:
It's a solid enough album, no real FILLER, but it also feels a bit safe, predictable, unadventurous. I'm probably looking at a 6/10 here, there's little of the playfullness and energy that I've come to enjoy in my favorite Kanye works. It's like he's appropriating an idea of how Kanye sounds and what comes out is a solid impersonation. Some of the beats are REALLY good, but a lot of the verses by various guests are also pointless and just add too much length.

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm all for opinions and stuff but, no playfullness, energy, and unadventurous??? I think if anything, the long ass tracks show his playfulness more than anything. I am going to let someone else better explain it but damn, not the words I would ever use with Ye.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Awsome album , i hated kanye west so much during my teenage years but i'm glad i'v got into the fool.

Why bother with a clean version of monster the thing is a massacred mess.

so i hope the album flops hard sales wises just cause of the clean version of monster.

Monster is the best track i have heard in 2010 :(

Swag

Peru said:

Wut

Kentpaul

Clean albums fucking fail , big massive gaps between lyrics, who the hell listens to clean albums ?

Love the way you lie and monster clean versions really take the hat for being awsome dirty tracks but failing as clean tracks, atleast RE DO some lyrics instead of the poor editing over.

goddammit when is the dirty version of this album out

Peru

Long tracks aren't necessarily playful. I think in a lot of these long tracks there's no real reason they're long other than to stuff in as many verses as possible. Halfway through you've had enough of uninspired guests.

remz

Kentpaul said:
Clean albums fucking fail , big massive gaps between lyrics, who the hell listens to clean albums ?

Love the way you lie and monster clean versions really take the hat for being awsome dirty tracks but failing as clean tracks, atleast RE DO some lyrics instead of the poor editing over.

i want it so bad

Ashhong

Peru said:
Long tracks aren't necessarily playful. I think in a lot of these long tracks there's no real reason they're long other than to stuff in as many verses as possible. Halfway through you've had enough of uninspired guests.

Kanye said on Twitter he just loves to let shit ride. I do think long, the way hes done it on this album, means playful. Every long song is basically two different songs. Devil and AotL have huge changes in the second half and to me it just sounds like him going crazy at the boards, doing what he thinks is amazing.

Uninspired? Uh...MAYBE Ross at the end of Devil and AotL, but I give Lights a pass because its an ensemble track.

Kentpaul said:
Awsome album , i hated kanye west so much during my teenage years but i'm glad i'v got into the fool.

Why bother with a clean version of monster the thing is a massacred mess.

so i hope the album flops hard sales wises just cause of the clean version of monster.

Monster is the best track i have heard in 2010 :(

You sound like you are offended that you are being forced to listen to the clean version :lol Noone told you to listen to it haha

Kentpaul

Ashhong said:
You sound like you are offended that you are being forced to listen to the clean version :lol Noone told you to listen to it haha

Just dealing with the urge :D

BLAME GAME FTW

best track on the album, can't wait to get drunk out of my mind tonight or tomorrow and blast this album full blast

edit.

This album is so fucking good

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Kentpaul said:

Kentpaul said:
Just dealing with the urge :D
BLAME GAME FTW
best track on the album, can't wait to get drunk out of my mind tonight or tomorrow and blast this album full blast
edit.
This album is so fucking good
lol what?!?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
MMaRsu said:
Who cares about Grammy's anyway..mostly just the artists..
i ve never watched the grammys, but this album deserves an award or two but kanye won't get it which is completely unfair. then again when has life ever been fair :lol

After listening it for awhile, I think the clean version brings it down quite a lot. The constant hiccups in flow is consistently frustrating. I've even warmed up to a few songs, but the album still doesn't even touch College Dropout/Late Reg. I miss that Kanye and I was hoping it would be a return to form in that specific style, not just coming back to hip-hop.

Very much anticipating buying the full (dirty) CD. Have bought all of his previous albums, except for the one that shall not be named.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay so, today my favourite song is Hell of a Life :lol

Expendable. said:
After listening it for awhile, I think the clean version brings it down quite a lot. The constant hiccups in flow is consistently frustrating. I've even warmed up to a few songs, but the album still doesn't even touch College Dropout/Late Reg. I miss that Kanye and I was hoping it would be a return to form in that specific style, not just coming back to hip-hop.

Very much anticipating buying the full (dirty) CD. Have bought all of his previous albums, except for the one that shall not be named.
Comes really really close to LR for me. Flamesuit, ON.

There is a massive conspiracy on KanyeToThe that this isn't the finished album. :lol

and did we all see what Kanye said about Coldplay?

Speaking about Chris Martin, he said: "The man is a genius – as a performer and a songwriter he is on the same level as John Lennon." Incredibly, he was talking straightfaced, going on to add: "I honestly think Coldplay are on the same level as The Beatles. In 30 years, when Coldplay are old men, people will look back and say, 'These guys were more talented than The Beatles.'"

I think he meant to say
Radiohead

enzo_gt said:
Comes really really close to LR for me. Flamesuit, ON.
creatively it's pretty far beyond any of his old albums.

in terms of value to me personally, not a lot of it resonates with my life or life experiences. as such, it will probably get less spins than CD or LR.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Expendable. said:
There is a massive conspiracy on KanyeToThe that this isn't the finished album. :lol

and did we all see what Kanye said about Coldplay?

I think he meant to say
Radiohead
Radiohead is one of those bands everyone tells me to check out, I just never have enough time to. Too much music to digest atm.

And I really do like Coldplay, part of the reason why Homecoming is such an awesome track. Home too, I like both equally. I have man-crushes on Chris Martin and John Legend, and refuse to choose.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
In Gorgeous (I think?) they forgot to censor one of the n****s. really inconsistent.

Recon

Banned
Expendable. said:
Like I said earlier, you can say rape, murder, kill but not asshole.

It's worse than the MPAA (almost).

Nothing will ever be as bad as the MPAA, they are so damn arbitrary. I swear no one knows the rules, its a fucking guessing game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bowser said:
Lord, Lord, Lord is terrible and definitely not something I would have wanted on the album :lol

Are you fucking kidding me? Geez Kanye fans are so weird. He has the most lopsided fans in the world.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Error said:
In Gorgeous (I think?) they forgot to censor one of the n****s. really inconsistent.
it doesn't matter to me i ve heard power so many times that i don't even notice the gaps sometimes. and its the same with the other songs.

MMaRsu

Dreams-Visions said:
I wonder if they'll release a version of Blame Game without Rock? maybe later on? or on some international release?

You can just cut it out yourself..

I put a cock in sarcophagus

:lol

Yeezy's twitter said:
Man I'm heading to Abu Dhabi finna go to Ferrari Land YESSSS!!! ....but before I take off let me tell you how they did me at the Today show...I went up there to express how I was empathetic to Bush because I labeled him a racist and years later I got labeled as a racist....While I was trying to give the interview they started playing the "MTV" under me with audio!!!!!!! I don't mess with Matt Lauer or the Today Show ... and that's a very nice way for me to put it! HE TRIED TO FORCE MY ANSWERS. IT WAS VERY BRUTAL AND I CAME THERE WITH ONLY POSITIVE INTENT. I feel very alone very used very tortured very forced very misunderstood very hollow very very misused. I don't trust anyone but myself! Everyone has an agenda. I don't do press anymore. I can't be everything to everybody anymore. I can't be everybody's hero and villain savior and sinner Christian and anti Christ! I can't take anymore advice!!! I create, I'm creative, I have a good heart, everyone will see and understand one day. Everything sounds like noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE NOISE!!!!!!! I don't trust anyone! Very judged very scrutinized very criticized! I want everyone to know I have lows all the time but I make it through them!

More of Yeezy's twitter said:
Yo I really wonder if Matt Lauer thought that shit was cool to play the "MTV" clip while I was speaking about Bush? He played clips of Bush and asked me to look at his face while I was trying to talk to him. I wish Michael Jackson had twitter!!!!!! Maybe Mike could have explained how the media tried to set him up!!! It's all a fucking set up!!!! This is rock and roll life my people... you can't stop the truth you can't stop the music and I have to be strong or "they" win!!!! Sometimes it's not simple, some days it's not easy... I just want to create. I love you guys, thanks for the support!

Just wow...

spindashing said:
Just wow...
how sensitive. :lol

maybe he should actually hire someone from a PR firm to help him understand how some of these things operate. having no PR in a high profile position is like having no lawyer reviewing your contracts and advising during negotiations as the head of a Fortune 500. It's BASIC, Kanye. If shit like this is taking you buy surprise in 2010..after a decade in entertainment...you've learned little. Very damn little.

Expendable. said:
Really? I like how he is being more open and honest through Twitter. I've come to appreciate him much more.
it is indeed unvarnished truth. unfortunately, it only shows a lack of maturity and connection to the reality of how the world works. instead of sympathy, I'm frustrated. where are his advisors? where are the people prepping him for interviews? it's not like he can't afford them. it's like reading failure on a basic level.

LCfiner

man, I love Kanye's twitter.

I don't even want to make fun of it. the dude's just being honest to himself. it just so happens he's super excitable and a bit (just a little bit, of course) egotistical. so the result of this honesty is pure gold.

MMaRsu

spindashing said:
Just wow...

Jesus christ dude is fucking overreacting. He is waaaay too emotional man. This isn't the sort of stuff you need to put on your twitter. I understand he's angry and feeling like shit but come on he must have some good friends he can confide in?

Yeah, I love watched Kanye's interviews and reading his twitter from time to time but damn, he really went on an emotional rant there.

"HE TRIED TO FORCE MY ANSWERS. IT WAS VERY BRUTAL AND I CAME THERE WITH ONLY POSITIVE INTENT. " makes me lol though.

"Everything sounds like noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE NOISE!!!!!!! I don't trust anyone!" is just creepy ...

HiResDes said:
If he wasn't so emotive and effusive he wouldn't be as great of an artist...
sure he would. you can be emotional, but know how the world works and be immune to little shit like this. he should have advisors who can prepare him for things like this.

neptunes

MMaRsu said:
Jesus christ dude is fucking overreacting. He is waaaay too emotional man. This isn't the sort of stuff you need to put on your twitter. I understand he's angry and feeling like shit but come on he must have some good friends he can confide in?
When you're very [rich/famous/influential] you probably begin to question the motives of everyone in your immediate clique. Especially if you have no immediate family. Everyone around you become yes men.

George Bush fiasco. He's lost his mother. Taylor Swift-gate. He's part of the illuminati. He really must be hurting inside, and you can tell by his mannerisms.

Emotional as it may be, I say let the man express himself.

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE NOIISEEE...

Okay I think the best beat on the album is probably from Runaway. It's so simple, which is what I like about it. Other songs are a bit overblown in production.

Discotheque said:
Okay I think the best beat on the album is probably from Runaway. It's so simple, which is what I like about it. Other songs are a bit overblown in production.
Gorgeous and Lost In The World are just flawless to me (beat).

the only "overproduced" song is All of The Lights. IMO, anyway.

As much as I love AOTL -- or atleast what I've heard, my favorite track is Runaway and the album ver having the samples will be a treat.

247, 365, Pussy stay on my mind..... FFFFFFFFFFUUUUU :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom