• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy ships! Anyone get it yet?

Flynn

I just finished the game. I'm still compelled to re-do the levels, though. It's just so darn fun, I want to make bigger stars and find all the hidden presents.

I haven't enjoyed a game like this in quite some time.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just beat the game, I loved the last level. I ended up getting a 850m 89cm 0mm Katmari and my objective time was 18:33. Got my very first Eternal level. :D

And I loved the little interactive credits, really cool way to end the game. And I loved the song, as always.

Chrono

Banned
I finally started the game. I only finished the first level and messed around the second one. I love how simple and fun this game is. I can see myself playing many 10-15 minute sessions between studying. :)

I have mixed feelings about this game. It's definitely an awesome budget title but not much more than that. I bought them both last week and infinitely more play time has gone into Monster Hunter. You can only get so much out of Katamari.

Gek54

'Man, how you gunna be picking up a tornado and clouds? That shit aint right.' Qoute from my friend watching me play. lol

AniHawk

Gek54 said:
'Man, how you gunna be picking up a tornado and clouds? That shit aint right.' Qoute from my friend watching me play. lol

Damn straight. And when I picked up that giant God thing. Damn! And the little island which was a huge city when you first started out...

This game is going to have so many replays this week until my birthday/Donkey Konga.

AniHawk

GAF Hype Train:

Mario & Luigi: Boo
ICO: Meh
Viewtiful Joe: Meh
Beyond Good & Evil: WOO!
Katamari Damacy: WOO!
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time: WOO!
Pikmin 2: WOO!
Donkey Konga: WOO!

Score: 6/8: 75%

It's been generally good for me.

mosaic

go eat paint
Man, screw all the haters who said this game is short.

I'm going back to each stage now and trying to find all the presents. Some of them are in some crazy-ass twitch spots.

Then I'm going to go back and get the fast times on every stage to unlock each accompanying comet.

And that doesn't count the times when I just play the game to f*ck around.

(I'm pondering trying to get 100% items and find all the 2P characters in the levels, although that's kinda pushing it for optional goals)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This is now my favorite non-RPG PS2 game, and up there with the Pikmins for greatest new property of the generation.

FUCK YEAH NAMCO! Thanks for bringing me this, I would have paid $50!

AniHawk said:
GAF Hype Train:

Wouldn't that be 5/8? I count a Boo and two Meh's. Or is a Meh a half a point?

Man, I suck. I can't even get the eternal on Make a Star 4, and I can't stand the fucking japanese pop. This song suck so much. How can you guys like it?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Littleberu said:
Man, I suck. I can't even get the eternal on Make a Star 4, and I can't stand the fucking japanese pop. This song suck so much. How can you guys like it?
How can you not like Lonely Rolling Star? The chorus is so goddamned happy. :D

NotMSRP

Littleberu said:

We can like it because there's nothing wrong with us.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
6.8 said:
I got 870meters! I am proud! :D :D

how is that possible? i was fucking around on eternal mode and ~840m i could barely find anything left to pick up

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
olimario said:
Which song is on Level 4?

Lonely Rolling Star

EDIT: Need sleep..so many edits...can't read.

olimario

Banned
I like a lot of the music in the game. Theres only one song that gets VERY annoying. It has a lot of beeps and such and gives me the worst headache.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
olimario said:
I like a lot of the music in the game. Theres only one song that gets VERY annoying. It has a lot of beeps and such and gives me the worst headache.

The song "You Are Smart" ?

Maybe he's referring to the one that plays where you have to make a 6m star. It's a techno song with lots of beeps. I like that one more than the jpop ones. :D

olimario

Banned
Wario64 said:
The song "You Are Smart" ?

No. That one is rather clever with all of the Dig Dug sounds mixed in.

Tenshifuumi no Okurimono [Stage 07]
Thats the one! ARG! :( :(
And it's a shame because I like the choir sound in the background and I like the intro.

Jason

Dunno if it's true or not but I think there's less to pick up in eternal mode. Anyways, my record is ~879m.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jason said:
Dunno if it's true or not but I think there's less to pick up in eternal mode. Anyways, my record is ~879m.

really almost seems that way to me, as i got 825 in the actual level and when time ran out there was still loads of small islands and clouds to pick up. cool game, but wtf was with the cutscenes of that family? "i feel the cosmos!"

Justin Bailey

------ ------
AniHawk said:
GAF Hype Train:

ICO is a meh? Boo to you, sir. Boo to YOU.

olimario said:
Tenshifuumi no Okurimono [Stage 07]
Thats the one! ARG! :( :(
And it's a shame because I like the choir sound in the background and I like the intro.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I think Tenshifuumi rocks if you just play it by itself one time through, but having to listen to it over and over again on the hardest level of the game is just depressing. A more inspirational pumps-you-up sort of song would've fit much better with such a brutal level. I can hardly listen to it anymore without being reminded of depressed aggravation.

I don't think there are any true Dig-Dug sounds in You Are Smart, by the way. Maybe Galaga, but I don't even think that's accurate. They're just very similar to those old sounds.

somnific

man, that's a shame - if i don't have time for a moon run, then i purposely play stage 7 just to listen to Tenshifuumi. i fucking love that song. the whole soundtrack is ridiculously good.

AniHawk

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Wouldn't that be 5/8? I count a Boo and two Meh's. Or is a Meh a half a point?

WOO! = as good, or better than I thought it'd be
Meh = not quite as good as I thought it'd be, but still worth a purchase
Boo = Don't know why it was hyped in the first place

Meh is half a point.

I did the North Star today and got it PERFECT. I also have done the best for all Make a Star on Make a Star 1-10 except #5 which is giving me problems for some reason. I'M ALMOST A GOLDEN GOD!

Then off to the collecstalations. ;)

The music in this game is great. Reminds me of Jet Grind Radio's for some reason.

somnific

AniHawk said:
I did the North Star today and got it PERFECT.

hAHAH, that's great! i managed to get a perfect on North Star too by using the formula:
first build up until you can just get the the roaming elephant with the dude on his back, then pick up the lionhead in front of the building and then 5 trees
. i'm curious if you had a simlar formula.

musashi

Got anyone the present in Stage 9?
I played the Level four times now and everytime I collected the present but at the End the king just gives me nothing. Could it be that the present falls off when I jump off the chimney? But I have never recognized something like this.

Another question: When you play a Level for a second time, at the end you have a choice to make. What question are you asked there? I play the japanese version, so I didn't figure it out until now. The left Choice destroys the old star and makes a new one, but the right?

AniHawk

somnific said:
hAHAH, that's great! i managed to get a perfect on North Star too by using the formula:
first build up until you can just get the the roaming elephant with the dude on his back, then pick up the lionhead in front of the building and then 5 trees
. i'm curious if you had a simlar formula.

I had a similar formula... I was off by 24-13 cm for the last three or four tries (the one I was off by 13 was a big mistake I'd made or else it probably would have been perfect).
I started off by rolling up the logs, then the boats in the little lake thing to the east of where you start off. Then I rolled up the fences and headed into town to grab some people. After that, I left for the city and got the bigass watermelon patch, and the watermelons stacked high. Then I went back into the town to grab the palm trees, and the palm trees down at the beach. After that, I went into the city again and got some walls, fences, people, etc. Then I grabbed 3 of the trees and was done.

mosaic

go eat paint
There's a seperate thread now about the game's shortages, but I just wanted to record my thoughts from that thread into this one for posterity.

To wit, I'd like to quote a couple lines from the GameSpot article that has folks talking...
"Our initial orders were filled and demand has already resulted in re-orders from most specialty retail outlets."

"We are working closely with retailers to make sure that Katamari Damacy is readily available.
You see that?! RE-ORDERS! So much for hoarding the game! But this is awesome news for people that want the game but don't mind waiting.

It's also great news for someone like me that wants to give away copies of the game as cheapy Christmas gifts this year. Tough to do when all the stores in town got six copies total. Hurry up with that 2nd print Namco!

mosaic said:
To wit, I'd like to quote a couple lines from the GameSpot article that has folks talking...
You see that?! RE-ORDERS! So much for hoarding the game! But this is awesome news for people that want the game but don't mind waiting.

Panzer Dragoon Saga had something like 5 or 6 "runs" over a period of months, and is still rare and valuable. I didn't even get in on it until the very last one. I'd hardly count Katamari out as an eventual rarity because of a second production run.

Grizzlyjin

Has anyone gotten all the countries during the ending credits? On my best attempt I got 190. What happens when you get them all?

Top Bottom