• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy ships! Anyone get it yet?

mosaic

go eat paint
Someone should sticky the Katamari thread and give the game its props!

It kinda bugs me that people say this game is short. Sure, if your entire definition of game length is doing the absolute minimum required to get to the end.

It sure as hell isn't just 16-stages-and-done. Between meeting the size goals, getting the presents, and trying to unlock the eternal stages--and of course, most important, trying to set obscene records on certain stages--this game has plenty of replay value. It compells you to play it. (Can you feel that? You want to make another Katamari right now, dont you?) There's so much bent joy in seeing how many cats, dogs, people, and buildings you can cram into a single Katamari... especially when the King acts so non-chalant about turning the whole mass into a 50,000 degree ball of fire.

Gotta love a game that lets you watch all the cinemas and listen to all the music tracks once you've beaten it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Damn, I'm surprised how much attention this fun little game has gathered from so many people. Makes me happy! :)

I think it was a very wise move by Namco to release it as a budget title, because otherwise few people probably wouldn't have given it a chance.

Flynn

OMG. The Ursa Major level is really great. It totally turns the tables on you and forces you to think a different way when playing the game. I just spent an hour playing just that level over and over again.

BuddyC

Trying to convince a friend to check the game out. what does he say?
teah...well...i like most gmaes to have more substance than a single simple game...not saying its bad...but i dont wanna pay $20 to rool up stuff
I don't know if I'm more appalled by his grammar or his thought process. Bad Jared! Bad!

Nikashi

Banned
mosaic said:
this game has plenty of replay value. It compells you to play it. (Can you feel that? You want to make another Katamari right now, dont you?)

YES GODDAMMIT!

*starts rolling up random objects in his own house*

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The cow level is pissing me off. I'd get a big Katamari then all of a sudden I'll accidently run over a small cow and bam, level over. Fuck!

xsarien

daedsiluap
The GAF hype train makes me buy another one.

*sigh*

But for $20, plus the old Best Buy gift card I found, I can probably do much worse than KD.

olimario

Banned
I got 23 on Star 8.
Best star so far. Absolutely.
Start the size of a mouse and end up rolling up houses and elephants.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just started playing for real today, and hot damn this game is addictive. Next thing I know 3 hours have passed and I still don't want to put the controller down. This is the only game in recent memory that had me excited about playing a level over again...I didn't do it because it had to be done to get something extra, I did it because I wanted to. :D

This game is just plain addictive...bring on Katamari Damacy 2!

mosaic

go eat paint
This game reminds me of Fantavision in a way... simple, but full of depth. Of course, it's also much more sadistic than Fantavision :)

Pachinko

My friend picked it up and got eternal mode in one of the stages so I spent a good half an hour and rolled up everything, the clouds , god tornadoes etc. It's a really nifty game with a fantastic soundtrack.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For some reason, I dont have Eternal #1 unlocked, but I have #2 and #3. What's the requirement to get them unlcoked?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There's a #4? Gamefaqs.com only has 3 listed

Eternal 1 Build up the ball past 1m32cm3mm before the time runs out in Make a Star 4.
Eternal 2 Build up the ball past 25m before the time runs out in Make a Star 8.
Eternal 3 Build up the ball past 800m before the time runs out in Make the Moon.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I walked into the electronics section of my local supermarket on a whim to see if they had it...there were a dozen copies just sitting there. Grabbed mine for 25 bucks and waltzed out. Looking forward to playing it with my son tonight. :D

olimario

Banned
Wario64 said:
There's a #4? Gamefaqs.com only has 3 listed

Eternal 1 Build up the ball past 1m32cm3mm before the time runs out in Make a Star 4.
Eternal 2 Build up the ball past 25m before the time runs out in Make a Star 8.
Eternal 3 Build up the ball past 800m before the time runs out in Make the Moon.

Maybe it's 3 I'm thinking of. Dont know why I got it mixed up in my head.
Yup. Whoops :( Sorry!

olimario

Banned
bishoptl said:
I walked into the electronics section of my local supermarket on a whim to see if they had it...there were a dozen copies just sitting there. Grabbed mine for 25 bucks and waltzed out. Looking forward to playing it with my son tonight. :D

Which supermarket would that be? I wonder how they scored so many copies.

bishoptl said:

Which supermarket did you get your copy at Bishop?
If Superstore, which location? :p

I just made the moon and played the credits, though I have some stars left to make. Awesome game. :) It has such a vibrant charm, oddly like Pikmin 2, but KD is more viscerally appealing since you have more direct control over the gameplay. And this has to be the funniest game I've played in years. It's usually not laugh out loud funny, but I can't stop smiling when I play.

olimario

Banned
I just have the North Star left.
Don't know how much left there is to do.
I have all 3 Eternals and 70-100 percent on all constellations.

I love that the music gallery is unlocked :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Leshita said:
Which supermarket did you get your copy at Bishop?
If Superstore, which location? :p

The Canadian Superstore in Langley, by Willowbrook Mall. The electronics cashier was asking me quite a few questions about it during my purchase, apparently a few people had called in earlier to check if they had copies.

bishoptl said:
The Canadian Superstore in Langley, by Willowbrook Mall. The electronics cashier was asking me quite a few questions about it during my purchase, apparently a few people had called in earlier to check if they had copies.

Too bad Langley is a bit too far for me; I will have to check out a couple of closer locations hopefully I will be able to pick up a copy (or two).

olimario

Banned
I saw Willowbrook and got my hopes up.
Apparently the 2 Willowbrook Malls are in Houston (me) and British Columbia (you).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
olimario said:
I saw Willowbrook and got my hopes up.
Apparently the 2 Willowbrook Malls are in Houston (me) and British Columbia (you).
There's a Willowbrook Mall here in New Jersey too.

Bowser

WTF I pre-ordered this thing back in early August, I called on Tuesday, not in. Samething Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I was getting an eye exam follow up Saturday morning and went to check in person, and it's still not in.

:mad

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm going to come right out and say that this is, single-handedly, the strangest shit I've ever played in nearly two decades of gaming.

And all I've done so far is watch the title animation. :p

I got it Saturday. It's just as I remember it, AWESOME. It makes me like my PS2 again. And once Wanda and the Colossus comes out I'll REALLY like my PS2.

evilromero said:
It makes me like my PS2 again. And once Wanda and the Colossus comes out I'll REALLY like my PS2.

IAWTP

I haven't had much fun with a simple arcade-game (that isn't a shooter) since JGR.
:D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, I took Katamari over to my aunts house for dinner
The whole family had fun!

Needless to say they were going to buy the game too

Most unique game of the year, or even the generation!

I think you guys are extra. I admit the game is fun, and addictive at times. But some of the shit your guys are claiming this game to be is hilarious beyond anything else.

firex

I know this game is supposed to be short and doesn't have a lot of replay value, but I'm curious - can you do something like a single player challenge mode to build the biggest ball of stuff possible?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
firex said:
I know this game is supposed to be short and doesn't have a lot of replay value, but I'm curious - can you do something like a single player challenge mode to build the biggest ball of stuff possible?

Each stage keeps a high score, it is however not linked to any name.

And I will be the first to admit that 2 player mode is kinda disapointing. It would have been cool if 2 player mode used the regular stages... I guess with 2 ps2's and 2 copies of Katamari Dymacy you could in effect make your own 2 player mode, just not offically linked :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
firex said:
Well, that's pretty much every stage. :)

But maybe what you might mean are the Eternal stages which unlock after you meet certain size requirements and beat the game. They let you play through the stages with no time limit, effectively letting you roll and roll to your heart's content.

firex

MetatronM said:
Well, that's pretty much every stage. :)

But maybe what you might mean are the Eternal stages which unlock after you meet certain size requirements and beat the game. They let you play through the stages with no time limit, effectively letting you roll and roll to your heart's content.
Yeah, that's what I meant! That sounds great, because this looks like a really good pick up and play game for me.

Top Bottom