• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katamari Damacy ships! Anyone get it yet?

somnific

Bogdan said:
I can't decide if this game is quirky, zany, odd, idiosyncratic, strange, unusual, curious, bizarre, atypical, peculiar, weird, crazy, cockeyed, far out, funky, unconventional, offbeat, deviant, absurd, nonsensical, loony, whimsical, silly, unhinged, or outrageous.

it's straight up fun.

Belfast

Camera sucks on purpose. The bigger your ball gets before it "upgrades" the harder its supposed to be to see because of the katamari's mass.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got to level 8/9...holy crap. I think I cleared the entire stage 8...I couldn't find anything to roll over towards the end of the level. The ball got so friggin huge....it's amazing

Hopefully my EB has a copy in, I'm gonna go check right now on the way to work. Too lazy to call over the phone and struggle with the employees.

mosaic

go eat paint
I am addicted to the Virgo level -- has anyone managed to get all the maidens? I'm at 92% and can't find anymore. I'm guessing you hafta get through that blocked off area with the pylons and yellow fencing, but my katamari is never large enough. 3m68cm doesn't do it.

Also, to hell with the Ursa Major and Taurus stages.... god damn bear sculpture and milk cartons. :)

grabbed the last four copies from Burbank Frys. Total bill $64.91:D Told my boss I had an emergency errand to run when I heard the price was 14.99! heehee

Before anyone says anything the other three copies are going to friends at face value :)

shuri said:
:lol at people hoarding copies in hope of ever making money from it

Yeah. I bought an extra copy, but just as a gift for X-mas.

I fucking hate hoarders and they deserve to get burnt by this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just 'beat' it....awesome game. I always thought people who were calling this game GOTY before were overhyping it but now having playing the game myself, I'm putting it as one of my favorite games of the year as well. Last level rocked...got my Katamari up to 812m (!!). I'll be replaying this game a lot just to get 100% and simply just enjoying the simple gameplay.

The interactive credits ending was sweet too, and they even translated the entire ending song with subtitles on the screen. Namco did a very good job in localizing this game...it appears the entire game was left intact. Thank you for bringing this over to the states, especially at a budget price...

Bogdan said:
I don't know, it just seems wacky for the sake of being silly. It isn't like the designers sat up all night doing a ton of mushrooms and came up with all this shit (which would be cool)....No they just tried to think of crazy shit, it comes off a bit forced to me.

I agree that it's totally contrived silliness, but the same can be said of most "zany" games, music, movies, or whatever else. Rarely is a team so awesomely fucked up that they're truly unaware that what they're doing will come across as wacky to people. I think a lot of people often just think that the trademark Japanese silliness is unintentional, or that something is being lost in the translation, when in fact the games were completely intended to be that way.

But yeah, I showed the game to my brother last night and he had a similarly cynical reaction. "Oh ho ho.. I see they thought it would be really 'random' to have a little kitty pulling a rickshaw.. pfff.." I guess that's valid, but it's so fun and brings about so much glee from so many people that who really cares? It puts a smile on your face!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Guys, can someone do me a huge favour?

I bough the game today (yes, it's awesome). I tried to install it in the HDD so that I can play it using the HDloader. THe game installs fine, and then at 99% - *BAM*, bunch of read errors... Instalation completes, the game actually works from the HDD, but I'm not sure if I have the defective disc that will break somewhere during the game, or have crippled music or something.

Can someone else try to:

a) Install this using the HDLoader and tell me if it starts giving errors at 99%
b) Try to extract image using the DVD decryptor - I've just did that, and it again gives read errors at 99%

I just want to to know if this is normal (some sort of protection) or do I have a defective copy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Marconelly said:
Guys, can someone do me a huge favour?

I bough the game today (yes, it's awesome). I tried to install it in the HDD so that I can play it using the HDloader. THe game installs fine, and then at 99% - *BAM*, bunch of read errors... Instalation completes, the game actually works from the HDD, but I'm not sure if I have the defective disc that will break somewhere during the game, or have crippled music or something.

Can someone else try to:

a) Install this using the HDLoader and tell me if it starts giving errors at 99%
b) Try to extract image using the DVD decryptor - I've just did that, and it again gives read errors at 99%

I just want to to know if this is normal (some sort of protection) or do I have a defective copy.

Have a DVD drive in your computer?
Try dumping it to the HDD using a certain program I can't mention. If it dumps without read error you should be fine.
The game honestly does not benefit for the HDloader as it has virtually no load times.

BuddyC

beat it tonight. took turns with a friend unlocking the eternals.

what a great game, just wow. lots of replay value too, especially with the shooting star goals and eternal...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have a DVD drive in your computer?
Try dumping it to the HDD using a certain program I can't mention.
Yes, and as I've said, I've tried ripping the disc with DVD Decrypter. I got the errors at the same 99% where the HDLoader reported them. Thus, I'm not sure if the disc is defective or what...

If you can PM me with that software you cannot mention, that'd be great.

Sure, the game doesn't benefit much from the HDLoader as it already loads really fast, but I'm not concerned much about it at this point. All I want to know is if I should try to return and exchange this disc or not.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Marconelly said:
Yes, and as I've said, I've tried ripping the disc with DVD Decrypter. I got the errors at the same 99% where the HDLoader reported them. Thus, I'm not sure if the disc is defective or what...

If you can PM me with that software you cannot mention, that'd be great.

Sure, the game doesn't benefit much from the HDLoader as it already loads really fast, but I'm not concerned much about it at this point. All I want to know is if I should try to return and exchange this disc or not.

I just tried it
Did the same thing

I would not worry about it

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Phew, I guess it's just some protection thing then :)

It was hard enough finding this game, and I was worried I'd have to exchange it while the store would run out of copies again...

Thanks Suikoguy!

Suikoguy

Cioran said:
Finally got a copy! All that's left to find is a working PS2. : )

If you have a ps2 thats not working, try calling sony.
Otherwise, the new ones come out late october, you could preorder one online or something. Watch the sites for any free second or next day shipping offers.

ManaByte

Gold Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOO My copy was loose in the case (it didn't sound like it when I picked it up) and Fry's won't exchange it even though it's scratched and UNPLAYABLE.

ManaByte said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO My copy was loose in the case (it didn't sound like it when I picked it up) and Fry's won't exchange it even though it's scratched and UNPLAYABLE.

Umm, thats fucked up man. There is no reason that they shouldnt exchange it. Try again with another customer service rep, perhaps.

Wow, this game is getting a lot of praise here.
I think I will try and pick up a copy if I can find it next week (when I pick up my Donkey Konga) even though I don't even own a Playstation 2 yet. ;)

This game is just magical, but it has this strange effect on me. I'm rolling around, and I get OBSESSED with picking up a particular thing. Then I freak out and celebrate when I add the kitty or whatever to my katamari.

This game is happiness in a box.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I love this game. Haven't felt like this since Parappa the Rapper, another truly original and groundbreaking game. 'Beat' it in practically one day though. We'll see how the replay value is. Multi-player is not as fun as I thought it would be. Oh, and those credits are the best I've seen in any video game.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ManaByte said:
That's fucked up. I ordered mine from gamestop.com, was sent a defective disc and was able to go to a brick and mortar Gamestop and have them exchange it for a brand new copy. And you could barely even see the flaw on my disc...in fact, I can tell you they didn't even look closely enough to be able to see it.

If Gamestop is willing to do that, there is no justifiable reason why Fry's wouldn't swap copies for you.

Anyway, I came SOOOOOO close to unlocking the first Eternal stage. Like, within a couple millimeters. How delightfully infuriating. The key to this game is to pace yourself. I've had several hours of playtime already, and I only have 6 stars. It's all about going back and replaying stages for scores/times/presents/unlockables/etc.

I <3 Katamari.

BeOnEdge

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! i just finished the moon and got the credits. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! all thats left are consellations. son of a bitch!!!! my moon is 686m though. :D best game i've played in awhile and wanted to play long enough to see the credits roll. mindless fun at its best.

BeOnEdge

Banned
YESSSSSSS!!!!! the soundtrack opens when you finish the game!!!!!! WOOT!!!! i'll be recording this!!! que sera sera owns me!!!! work will be a better place come monday!

I already recorded the entire sound test in March, if you want to save yourself a few hours of trouble.. I'm apparently not allowed to post the link here anymore, but if you want it send me an AIM or something.

BuddyC

BeOnEdge said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! i just finished the moon and got the credits. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! all thats left are consellations. son of a bitch!!!! my moon is 686m though. :D best game i've played in awhile and wanted to play long enough to see the credits roll. mindless fun at its best.
840 :D

Top Bottom