• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

I honestly have no idea how they would "work" with the graphic content off. Does it just skip the images but still display the text? A lot of them don't seem like entire scenes they could just outright skip for the story.

Now that I think about it, I have no clue. Haven't tried it with graphic content off so I wouldn't know. Then again this is my first time playing this game so I don't know how they handle it.

Proven

My biggest problem with Lilly's route was that Lilly did
90% of the relationship work. You're left with no real important decisions in her route and the ones you do get are essentially trying to get Hisao to depend on her enough that he'll chase after her at the end.
Jeez. Way to be the girl.

Jintor

90% of the relationship work. You're left with no real important decisions in her route and the ones you do get are essentially trying to get Hisao to depend on her enough that he'll chase after her at the end.

Yeah, but at least Hisao has the fuckin' balls to realise it

AZ Greg

So, after going through the rest of the routes, it's definitely a solid complete game overall, but for me, Rin's route is far and away better than the rest. Hope the team does more.

Soma

Well I think that was kind of the point of the last scenes. He realizes his mistake at the last second and he attempts to make up for it at the end even if it might've been too late. Apparently it had a great enough impact on her if
she decided cancel her flight to stay together with him in the good ending.

But yeah, there weren't any real conflicts in that route but I didn't mind it since I never really felt like she needed 'fixing'. If anything I thought it was a good change of pace since in most of the other routes he tries to help the other girls but in this arc she's trying to support him and be there for him whenever he's dealing with his condition or something.

Acosta

In my opinion, that is the whole point of Lilly, not a problem. The thing is,
Lilly is way more mature than Hisao, she is much more independent than him even in her blindness, she understand what she wants from life, and furthermore, she has that collected and reliable nature of her, while Hisao is a mess. The history is about how Hisao finds a column to support himself in Lilly, so it´s only natural she is the one who actually decides while him tries to understand that much of the happiness he has found in his new life is thanks to Lilly.

weeaboo

Just finished Hanako and.... it's cool i guess. I don't know, I found this Hisao really boring and unappealing :\ Hanako is totally HNNNNGGGGG though. Now it's Rin time.

Also about the waifu war: Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune

It's pretty obvious :p

Made it through act 2 of Emi's route and I'm honestly losing the motivation to continue. Does it get any better? Haven't gotten even a minor case of the feels yet and the only thing I've really liked so far is the music. Should I just stop?

Jintor

Emi's doesn't really get into feel territory until act 4 tbh

that said if you don't feel like continuing don't bother. You don't have to like it if you don't want to yo

Haha, so much Lilly love around here. Team Hanako all the way, baby.

Also, off topic, Damnit Jintor. Why's your avy gotta look like a friend of mine, it's kinda distracting lol.

Made it through act 2 of Emi's route and I'm honestly losing the motivation to continue. Does it get any better? Haven't gotten even a minor case of the feels yet and the only thing I've really liked so far is the music. Should I just stop?

Act 2 of any girl's route is honestly just a primer on their personalities. Nothing dramatic actually begins to happen for any of them until Act 3 I'd say. That's when things get into gear and culminate into a climactic Act 4. but as Jintor said, you don't have to force yourself through it if you're not feeling it. I will say that you shouldn't judge the overall project based on a few Acts or even one whole route. They are all quite different in narrative feel and aim to achieve different things

Jintor

Haha, so much Lilly love around here. Team Hanako all the way, baby.

Also, off topic, Damnit Jintor. Why's your avy gotta look like a friend of mine, it's kinda distracting lol.

Maybe I am that friend of yours

*waggles eyebrows*

If you live in Sydney I'm going to flip the fuck out

Ronok

I kind of accidentally ended up on the Lilly/Hana route after earlier finishing off the Shiz/Misha route... Obviously I quickly turned my back on Lilly. I kind of knew from the start I'd end up enjoying Hana's route, she just seems a very interesting character from the onset. Obviously I didn't expect to finish the whole thing in basically one sitting, but these things happen. My only problem is I don't really want to see the alternate Lilly route now. lol

Jintor

I suddenly had a really weird brainwave about playing visual novels on an e-ink device like a kindle or a kobo or something

As I understand it, there are quite a few of them on the Japanese app store, and a number of them have made their way to the US one as well. I just picked up Scar of the Doll the other day for a buck. It was penned by the author of the RPG Folklore for PS360 and seems kind of similar to Famicom Detective Club II. Unfortunately from the bit that I've played, the translation is pretty clunky, but it's enough to get across what the story intends, I can't complain since the price was so low, and I could contribute to perhaps getting more of these types of experiences on the app store.

Yup. There's a sizable amount on the JP store. You can actually grab Steins;Gate for 3000 yen as well, which is at least cheaper than any other version out right now I think.

Yup. There's a sizable amount on the JP store. You can actually grab Steins;Gate for 3000 yen as well, which is at least cheaper than any other version out right now I think.

Bah, if only I could understaaaaaaaannnndddd... A guy I worked with a few years ago actually burned me a disc with some VN on it, but I just laughed at him at the time. It had Fate/Stay and Chaos Head I think. Never played them, and I lost the disc. I think he's had the last laugh lol

Also
omigoshplasteredhanako

Yeah, but that would require color e-ink no? And that's still a ways off. And a headphone jack as well. Do E-readers even have headphone jacks? And I'd imagine that they'd have to at least catch on in the app store before they think of monetizing it through Amazon or whatever

Jintor

Also true, forgot about that. Get comics, then VNs, I guess.

I'd have killed if KS's sprite quality was as good as Phoenix Wright's. Or even 999's, as limited as that was.

Proven

The problem with a full timeline is that a lot of the routes have conclusions or other important events happen around summer vacation. Emi and Shizune's definitely come to mind, but I think pretty much all of them have a conflict around then.

As for Lilly's route
I felt at the time that the route was about her learning to lean on Hisao. She was mature, and very independent. But she was "too" independent in the sense that she was willing to just leave Hisao behind. The route conclusion came from the fact that she could lean back and depend on Hisao, just as he had been leaning on her. They only even got together because they both finally let the other person into their heart. It was the antithesis to Hanako's route, where she and Hisao needed to learn to stand up and properly respect each other before they could attempt their happily ever after.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I love how this game makes sure to remind everyone to wear a condom.

Dat Hanako Pantyhose

EDIT: Also
lol genitalia
. It shows how this game wasn't developed in Japan.

EDIT2: At times like this I wish this game had voice acting. It's difficult to read.

I feel bad talking about Hanako like her story has just ended.
Her ending feels more like a beginning.

Dat Hanako Pantyhose

lol genitalia

EDIT2: At times like this I wish this game had voice acting. It's difficult to read.

Yeah, the condom part made me chuckle a bit

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think the one thing I found truly endearing about Hanako's route was that
her backstory regarding the fire is not truly important to the resolution. Her and Hisao's relationship are more about how to connect with each other on the now. Her past is there, but isn't the focus of the script. It doesn't treat the character as a mystery, and indeed at the end you are learning as much about Hisao's own anxieties over losing people as you Hanako opens herself to him.

Speaking of things I love, I can't see how ignoring the adult-content in this route would not be detrimental to its message. I actually got consequence and change from the sex scene over here, and not just the fetishistic wanking material I was expecting when I started playing this title.

Gonna go through the alternate endings now, but canon-wise, this story felt a lot more complete and sympathetic than Emi's despite having to deal with a personality more extreme than Emi's genkiness. Although I may be biased, this story in particular hit me close for reasons previously stated in this thread.

Dat Hanako Pantyhose

lol genitalia

Regulus, did you notice
that when Hanako went to kiss Hisao, though we as the viewer saw her 'good' side her scarring was visible to everyone else watching their PDA in the background, and that she didn't care?

Done with act 3 on Emi's route. Guess I kind of feel committed to see this through to the end even if I'm still finding most of it boring. Should've just went with my first instinct and chose Rin. Guess I'll do that on the next playthrough, but probably won't do any other girls.

Speaking of things I love, I can't see how ignoring the adult-content in this route would not be detrimental to its message. I actually got consequence and change from the sex scene over here, and not just the fetishistic wanking material I was expecting when I started playing this title.

Yeah, this part is what really hit me hard from what happens afterwords.
Damnit I wish I knew how to spoiler tag so that I could explain better without ruining it to others.

Top Bottom