• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just wanted to be in on the discussion was all. I picked the Hanako path when the game branched off before the festival. I'll probably wrap hers up today as I'm on Act 4. Might go for Shizune next and have Lilly last, not sure

Shizune's path isn't as good as the others, finish that one first. Save Lilly for last her path is definitely the most feel good.

Jintor

Whoops, pieatorium, my mistake. Yeah, I remember now,
it was even mentioned that they might've done that because of her blindness possibly ruining the family's reputation
. Right.
But she still doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd blindly follow her parents' wishes.

Lily is exactly the kind of person
who would follow her parent's wishes (not blindly, but out of respect) because she lived most of her life in sacrifice and not wishing to be a burden upon others.

/edit boy running sure is hard

Lopson

Neo Member
Lily is exactly the kind of person
who would follow her parent's wishes (not blindly, but out of respect) because she lived most of her life in sacrifice and not wishing to be a burden upon others.

The moment when
she went ballistic with Kenji
kinda convinced me otherwise.

Jintor

The moment when
she went ballistic with Kenji
kinda convinced me otherwise.

Yeah,
because she'd been holding in the stress of everything for pretty much the entire route hence far, including holding the Scotland return out from Hisao.

Javier

Wow, just got the Hanako adult scene. That WAS pretty strong.

By flicking the "disable adult content" switch, does it simply remove the CG and the text still plays, or does it cut the scene entirely? I don't mind the frontal nudity but I'm not a big fan of explicit adult stuff.

Jintor

I think it puts a random graphic image over the CG.

Someone randomly got a close-up picture of a fried shrimp while doing Hanako's set

Right, you lot. The dude who wrote the Hanako section of the VN did a two part epilogue. Whether or not you want to consider it 'canon' is up to you, but here it is.

Part 1
Part 2

I'm amused by how many people in the comments are misinterpreting the meaning.

People seem to think that Hanako is a cheating wife or something, when it's pretty clear that she's recently divorced. Some of the flaming in the comments is face palm worthy

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Right, you lot. The dude who wrote the Hanako section of the VN did a two part epilogue. Whether or not you want to consider it 'canon' is up to you, but here it is.

Part 1
Part 2

Interesting developments but I don't think I'll take it as canon. I prefer when authors leave endings to the readers own personal imaginations.

This....is kinda weak.

Too far into the future. Hisao sounds like an asshole.

Agreed,
he sounds bitter as all hell too. Doesn't really feel like it's Hisao.

Interesting developments but I don't think I'll take it as canon. I prefer when authors leave endings to the readers own personal imaginations.

Agreed,
he sounds bitter as all hell too. Doesn't really feel like it's Hisao.

Not to mention odd in that
he wouldn't have learned where she was. Lilly would have told him, not just being their friend but seeing how the two helped each other. That's also pretty much saying Lilly abandoned him too.

Pancakes

Not to mention odd in that
he wouldn't have learned where she was. Lilly would have told him, not just being their friend but seeing how the two helped each other. That's also pretty much saying Lilly abandoned him too.

Yea just seems to be sad for the sake of being sad. I can understand the author trying to be a little realistic and move away from happily ever after but this is a bit much.

In case you haven't realized yet, I don't like sad things :p

_woLf

Yea just seems to be sad for the sake of being sad. I can understand the author trying to be a little realistic and move away from happily ever after but this is a bit much.

It makes me wonder if the whole thing with him leaving the team made him a bit bitter towards the story..?

Me neither, which is why I'm not going to 100% the game. Just hearing how Hanako's bad end went down hurts.

Pancakes

Me neither, which is why I'm not going to 100% the game. Just hearing how Hanako's went down hurts.

Oh man that was rough. I just mashed the space bar and mouse as fast as I could to get past that part. I'm OCD about 100%-ing games.

Part 1
Part 2

I got my request answered for a little more time spent exploring
new Hanako, even if she's a grown adult now. I was happy to see that Hanako still had a few hints of her old personality. My feels weren't ready for the asylum revelation.
It wasn't the best epilogue I ever read, but I was satisfied with it, canon or not.
A little more depressing than I was hoping, but I'm making the most happily ever after for the couple in my mind right now. 15.7 years of perfection.

I'm looking forward to
grownup
Hanako fanart.

Finished Emi's route. As expected, I felt nothing. I don't want to judge the whole game on just that, but it has definitely soured me on the idea of going through it again. Gonna go through Rin's route and if that wows me, I will at least try the other girls. If it doesn't, I guess I'll watch the bad ends on youtube or something.

He said he's planning on writing more, so that isn't necessarily the end of this little Hanako 'epilogue'.

It didn't look like it was finished either. However, I'm not taking it as canon, due to the whole
Lilly not bothering to tell Hisao about Hanako
bit.

And dammit! I know I'm going extremely slow but I'm trying to get another route started and I'm fighting myself not to try for Hanako again.

He said he's planning on writing more, so that isn't necessarily the end of this little Hanako 'epilogue'.

More? I see where this is going... (Pure speculation :p)
Deathbed scene for when middle-aged Hisao's heart begins gives out. Hisao and Hanako reminisce about when they first met and fell in love or maybe he goes into a coma and Hanako can't say goodbye. He passes. Hanako is left alone again, broken, but stronger. A million feels are had.

Please don't do this to me. My feels are good right now!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Reached Shizune's Act 2. It all goes downhill from here!

EDIT: Okay, some of the scene transitions feel really artificial. Like, one at the beginning of this act, it literally ended with "I learned a lot". Such succinctness feels weird for a game that's all about Hisao's state of mind.

Jintor

Ladies and gentlemen, Catawa Shoujo

tumblr_lxv5q3ZQuH1qh8vu0o1_500.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I kind of get the feeling that
Misha is a lesbian
, but maybe that's just my anime fandom background creeping on me.

EDIT: Kenji just quoted Brave Heart. Oscar-quality writing here folks.

On Rin's route now and her festival segment is better than the entirety of Emi's imo. Think I might actually get some feels from this one.

I think the general consensus amongst us is that Rin's route hits you the hardest, has the most highs and lows, and has the most powerful and resonant finish.

I just finished Hanako's a few minutes ago. It definitely proceeded at a rather languid pace and I didn't find myself fully invested until the latter half of Act 4, when they ramped things into gear. The final confrontation is pretty heartbreaking, but the ending was perfect and very sweet, as Zero01101 said, it felt like WINNING. All in all, I'm glad I stuck it out.

Unless Lilly's really knocks it out of the park though, Rin's is in a whole other league so far. I actually want to go back through it again out of nostalgia, but I guess I'll do Shizune's next.

Jintor

I think I'll grab the only scene I'm missing from Hanako's path tonight and get back to more drawing. I don't think I could take a fully-fledged bad end again. Emi's destroyed me.

Jintor

That's another reason I like Emi's -
what feels like a Bad End is integrated directly into her route.

Major spoilers:
So you want to fix me, Hisao? Wanna swoop in on your white charger and save the day? Stop the nightmares, the phantom limb pains? Restore what's lost?

Well, you can't.

Nobody can.

Nobody will.

vall03

ok, I know its just me but I feel seriously stupid right now. I just finished all the of the endings of Rin but for some reason I have very little understanding of it.
From what I understand its just about Rins passion of art, while Hisao tries her to open up to him with little to no success and the good ending being Rin finally getting rid of all the pressures put on her and making her own decisions?

I really really suck at all interpreting stuff a lot of times and I feel like Im wrong with what I understand, would be glad if someone can explain it to me. I think I can see the dots, its just that I can't connect them in any meaningful way...

That's another reason I like Emi's -
what feels like a Bad End is integrated directly into her route.

Major spoilers:
So you want to fix me, Hisao? Wanna swoop in on your white charger and save the day? Stop the nightmares, the phantom limb pains? Restore what's lost?

Well, you can't.

Nobody can.

Nobody will.

My reaction: "SHIT"

weeaboo

Rin DONE

yeah is good, a very intense route, dramatic and fun. Rin is an awesome character but she's a clusterfuck. I love Emi and Lilly routes because the girls and Hisao feels like real characters with real issues. Rin is just .... Rin.

So it's official: Lilly > Emi > Rin > Hanako > Shizune

Amazing VN, thank you 4LS :D

Top Bottom