• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Yeah, this part is what really hit me hard from what happens afterwords.
Damnit I wish I knew how to spoiler tag so that I could explain better without ruining it to others.

[zSPOILER] Insert text here [/SPOILER]

Remove the z before spoiler and use those tags. Or you could just use the quote button and replace QUOTE with SPOILER.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hanako's Bad End is awful. ;_;
Regulus, did you notice
that when Hanako went to kiss Hisao, though we as the viewer saw her 'good' side her scarring was visible to everyone else watching their PDA in the background, and that she didn't care?
The power of RABU.

Fuck this is gonna be like when I finished Persona 4 all over again. I don't wanna leave these girls. :(

Jintor

Hanako's bad end is amazing

Rin's was the most crushing to me though. I couldn't even fathom what Hisao was thinking.

A waste of time is far and away the most hideous way to describe a relationship ever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Rin's was the most crushing to me though. I couldn't even fathom what Hisao was thinking.
All the Bad Ends so far write Hisao way out of character if you ask me. He's not as pushy as some of the dialogue choices paint him.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shizune's bad end hit me the hardest, thought I haven't seen it for Rin yet.
Seeing that damn rabbit still sticking out of her bag in the final artwork got to me a lot.

Soma

damnit

i told myself i'd only do the Emi, Shizune, and Lilly routes and be done with the game.

Ah screw it i'm gonna go start on Hanako's route. i've never been interested in the "shy girl" character roles (I found Chihiro's character in Persona 3 irritating for instance) but I can't help but just want to go through with it here. maybe by the time i'm done i'll have the drive to go through Rin's arc as well.

Acosta

The problem with a full timeline is that a lot of the routes have conclusions or other important events happen around summer vacation. Emi and Shizune's definitely come to mind, but I think pretty much all of them have a conflict around then.

As for Lilly's route
I felt at the time that the route was about her learning to lean on Hisao. She was mature, and very independent. But she was "too" independent in the sense that she was willing to just leave Hisao behind. The route conclusion came from the fact that she could lean back and depend on Hisao, just as he had been leaning on her. They only even got together because they both finally let the other person into their heart. It was the antithesis to Hanako's route, where she and Hisao needed to learn to stand up and properly respect each other before they could attempt their happily ever after.

Very well put, I agree with this.

A waste of time is far and away the most hideous way to describe a relationship ever.

Yeah, I wasn't so happy when I bumped into that one by accident. He basically throws everything in her face. Just reading it was "uggghhh" inducing

Jintor

Yeah, I wasn't so happy when I bumped into that one by accident. He basically throws everything in her face. Just reading it was "uggghhh" inducing

Well, by that point he's put up with like three or four months of confusing bullshit, so it's not super unrealistic.
I was annoyed that they cover the exact same ground in the true ending though yet somehow Hisao finds the will to continue or some bullshit

Well, by that point he's put up with like three or four months of confusing bullshit, so it's not super unrealistic.
I was annoyed that they cover the exact same ground in the true ending though yet somehow Hisao finds the will to continue or some bullshit

I mean I understood why. That much didn't bother me. Just seeing it happen did.

I think that mostly has to do with the choice of words you use to kick it off though. One is clearly more antagonist/not actually looking for any real explanation

Lopson

Neo Member
Lilly's route is absolute trash. Most of the time, there's no drama, and when it's there, it's horribly forced. The sex scenes come out of nowhere and add absolutely nothing to the story (expect for one of them). The characters and the situations are so boring, bland, uninteresting. The fact that Hanako is better off without the MC frustrates me, too (or is she?). Compared to Rin's route... Well, I can't compare the two, actually. One is incredible, the other seems like it came straight out of a cheap novel. Disappointed.
I disagree. They're just different types of stories - Lily's is a fairly basic (but well-told) romance whereas Rin's is an exploration of the difficulties in communication between all individuals, which by its very nature is a far more complex tale.

This post is about Lilly's route.

Sorry for the late reply. See, the thing about Lilly's route is that the drama at its beginning is derived from the MC's heart condition. While his feelings about his own situation are reasonably well explored in other routes, in this one, it's never properly addressed. To compensate for that fact, the writer had to come up with something more interesting, and that was the whole Lilly going away back to Scotland thing. This came out of nowhere, without any sort of warning, and just felt out of place in a route that was supposed to be mostly about the MC. In the end, what we get is a story torn between two things, that manages to fail at both.
The rest of the characters weren't properly developed, either. Hideaki (Shizune's brother), for instance, has no significant role in the story. Why put a character in the story if he's going to have zero impact on it? The rivalry between Shizune and Lilly isn't properly explored either, with the writer giving only fleeting glimpses to what could have been a really good plot device. Lilly's relationship with her own sister is yet another plot device wasted, which is a damn shame, seeing that she's one of the coolest characters in the game.
The sex scenes added nothing to the route. For instance, in Rin's route, the sex scenes played very specific roles, they weren't gratuitous slideshows of erotica with shallow reasons behind them like "they're there to show that their love is real". If that's the reason behind them, then there's no point in having them at all, since it's quite easy to picture them doing it.
The goddamned good ending. What's the point of the epilogue? The great thing about KS is that not one character knows what their future holds for them. This ending made me think that those characters had learned nothing with the situation (Lilliy going away) they had gone through. "Together forever"? Please...

Lilly's route does nothing right, yet lots of people liked it. I don't get it.

Urge to create one-true-timeline is rising

Day 1 - Hisao Nakai arrives at Yamaku High. Upon entering his first class, he is immediately smitten by the beautiful, partially obscured face of a girl peering at him from the back row. He later discovers her name to be Hanako.
End of Week 1 - Hisao spends an enjoyable and fulfilling school festival with Hanako. And some girl named Lilly.
Week 2+ - Hisao and Hanako overcome their respective issues and acknowledge their feelings towards each other.
July 12(ish) - Hisao and Hanako begin their long, happy life together.

And we're done.

@Lopson
NOt really Lily situation is explored at each encounter with her and we slowly get more information each time.each question raised get a follow up another chapter afterwards so the
Going away to scotland is hardly something that comes unexpected

Imo there is nothing wrong in Lily route.
Ot might not be the best out there but there was no forced dram r deus ex machina out there . Things like lily condition , lily familly, mc ondition as well are adressed , just in a different way than in the others. Lily is the most calm of the cast and it show in her route.

Lopson

Neo Member
@Lopson
NOt really Lily situation is explored at each encounter with her and we slowly get more information each time.

I don't remember saying that Lilly's feelings about her own shortcomings weren't developed.

Going away to scotland is hardly something that comes unexpected

I disagree. The writer was quite clearly grasping at straws by that point, and this was quite possibly the first plot device that came to his mind.

Holy mother of fuck guys. 7 fucking hours playing. Until 5 am yesterday lol
I didnt really want but...

It seems i chose something and I went through the Emi route. I was not interested in her, I was not persuing her (I usually not like the loli type, as it seems in most of the art, although her protrait in the game looks more mature).
But her route is so daaaaaw. The part were she has a a cold HNNNNGGG
And Emi's mother... DAYUM!

Usually the VN I have played are more of showing flashy scenes and then chose the girl at the end, not building a relationship. This game si totally diferent.
Hisao starts "slowly" to like one of this girls, with the ups and down, the jeloausy to other guys and all that real life shit when you love someone.

Its like a fucking romantic novel and I cant stop reading. Fuck you guys!

Whythere isnt a Misha route just baffles, and saddens me :(

Jintor

Oh jesus fuck. Oh god. 4LS you sons of bitches.

Emi's bad end plays out almost exactly the same as the way my girlfriend broke up with me just before New Years. Almost exactly the same way. Oh jesus fucking christ. I think I need to lie down

Jesus - fuck, that's just cheating. God fucking damnit.

Jintor

Lopson, I'm in no condition to argue with you right except to say that I disagree on some points and will address them later, and yes, Hideki and co are underdeveloped, but no, the thingy isn't a plot device out of nowhere

I don't remember saying that Lilly's feelings about her own shortcomings weren't developed.

I disagree. The writer was quite clearly grasping at straws by that point, and this was quite possibly the first plot device that came to his mind.

i'm talking the second time ( the one that matters )

First time is logical given her background. Second time is too when i consider her past..or her attitude. i thought it was well done as the characterisation of both sides was done properly.
It does however lack impact as opposed to some other routes ... but that again was fine too

I wonder if 4LS intended for their game to inspire so many nerds to make morning runs.

I'm not in terrible shape it turns out!

Oh shit, seems then I was not the only one to feel like that. That exact same thought crossed my mind yesterday. lol

There's a pretty good reason for this.

I suppose the main reason is that she really hasnt got a problem, so she is invalidated for this type of game. But yet cheerful/funny/loony girls are my type and I wanted a route with her.
Or maybe you are talking about future spoilers.
So is it what I said or the spoiler thing?

Oh shit, seems then I was not the only one to feel like that. That exact same thought crossed my mind yesterday. lol

I suppose the main reason is that she really hasnt got a problem, so she is invalidated for this type of game. But yet cheerful/funny/loony girls are my type and I wanted a route with her.
Or maybe you are talking about future spoilers.

Future spoilers

I just did Hanako's route (in one sitting sadly....) and I got the ending where
Hisao skips class and goes to the park, there, he starts wondering about Hanako and sends her a text message. Shortly after, she meets with him and explains him why she had sex with him. After that, Hisao says that she loves her, and she says that she had been waiting to hear that. Then, she tells Hisao to close his eyes to give him a gift, and she gives him a kiss

What ending is that?

Also, Hanako's route is really full of Hnnnnnnnnnng's

I just did Hanako's route (in one sitting sadly....) and I got the ending where
Hisao skips class and goes to the park, there, he starts wondering about Hanako and sends her a text message. Shortly after, she meets with him and explains him why she had sex with him. After that, Hisao says that she loves her, and she says that she had been waiting to hear that. Then, she tells Hisao to close his eyes to give him a gift, and she gives him a kiss

What ending is that?

Also, Hanako's route is really full of Hnnnnnnnnnng's

That's the good ending!

Fuck you guys postin Katawa Crash. Is a thosand times better than Nanaka Crash. I need work to do!

Got 30000 in my third run and like 20 achivements in just that run lol. Game is insane.

This post is about Lilly's route.

The goddamned good ending. What's the point of the epilogue? The great thing about KS is that not one character knows what their future holds for them. This ending made me think that those characters had learned nothing with the situation (Lilliy going away) they had gone through. "Together forever"? Please...

Lilly's route does nothing right, yet lots of people liked it. I don't get it.

Uhhh...

One major point of Lilly's route was that they were mature enough to know what they wanted to do with their future. Lilly is the most "adult" of the characters, so she knows what she wants. And with her help Hisao learns what he wants.

Heck, Hisao's plans for the future are rather consistent. Every route which brings them up, he wants to be a Science teacher.

Lopson

Neo Member
One major point of Lilly's route was that they were mature enough to know what they wanted to do with their future. Lilly is the most "adult" of the characters, so she knows what she wants. And with her help Hisao learns what he wants.

If she knew exactly what she wanted, then why did she, at first, accept to go back to Scotland? And why did she change her mind afterwards? Even Hisao said "We're just a couple of children playing grown-ups", and it's exactly how the whole situation feels. They went through all of that, and in the end, they were too naive to understand exactly what went down and the consequences that their childish attitudes might have in the future. Why else would the route end with something like "Together forever"? Also, just because they knew what they wanted to be doesn't mean that they had everything figured out.

They didn't want their situation to change because they themselves didn't want to change, a huge contrast from how Hanako behaves in this route. If this was a well written story, this would've meant something, but as it stands, it seems to me that this is but a consequence of how the story was written.

If she knew exactly what she wanted, then why did she, at first, accept to go back to Scotland? And why did she change her mind afterwards? Even Hisao said "We're just a couple of children playing grown-ups", and it's exactly how the whole situation feels. They went through all of that, and in the end, they were too naive to understand exactly what went down and the consequences that their childish attitudes might have in the future. Why else would the route end with something like "Together forever"? Also, just because they knew what they wanted to be doesn't mean that they had everything figured out.

They didn't want their situation to change because they themselves didn't want to change, a huge contrast from how Hanako behaves in this route. If this was a well written story, this would've meant something, but as it stands, it seems to me that this is but a consequence of how the story was written.

I think there's a bit more to Lilly's route but it is a lot more subtle than the other ones. A major theme seems to be how passive Hisao is during the whole relationship, leaving Lilly to do everything. One of the problems with a passive relationship like that is that it isn't completely obvious, there's no big argument scene to be had. Lilly is always giving little hints about it, like when Hisao asks her about a weekend date and leaves it up to Lilly to decide where to go and she criticizes him for it. It's there in the sex scenes as well, Lilly always has to take the lead and in the final one she has to coax Hisao into taking control. They even mention it.

I think the move back to Scotland acts as a final test. Notice how, when Lilly first discusses it with Hisao, he just rolls over and accepts it. I think Lilly isn't confident in the relationship due to Hisao's passiveness, and the move back to Scotland is an excuse to test him one last time. That's why when he finally takes some control and runs to the airport, Lilly so quickly decides to stay. If there was no problem in the relationship at all, Lilly probably would've never decided to go.

I might be reaching here and giving too much credit to the writers, but I think this whole scenario matches Lilly's blindness issue really well. Hisao keeps feeling bad that Lilly is missing out on seeing things, but she tries to explain to him and show him that she notices lots of stuff he misses, sounds and smells and touch. With the fact that the problem with the relationship is so subtle and easy to miss, it seems like Lilly is trying to get Hisao to notice something that isn't super obvious and in his face.

It's not contradictory at all, and it is kind of the entire point of the arc to show that they didn't have everything figured out no matter how mature they acted or felt they were. Lilly's character is extablished as somewhat conservative/traditonal, her original deciision to go to Scottland fell right into line with this as she is respecting her families wishes. Her choice to stay with Hisao is her breaking away and doing what she wants rather than what is expected of her.

Lopson

Neo Member
Voodoopanda, that actually makes a lot of sense. But I still think that's not enough to excuse the other stuff I mentioned a few posts ago. And even through that perspective of yours, the whole
"Together forever" thing
at the ending still seems inappropriate.

Pieatorium, I just can't agree with you on that.
If that was the case, she'd have gone to Sctoland with her parents. She doesn't strike me as the kind who'd go back to Scotland because of her parents' wishes. Voodoopanda's explanation makes a lot more sense to me.

Voodoopanda, that actually makes a lot of sense. But I still think that's not enough to excuse the other stuff I mentioned a few posts ago. And even through that perspective of yours, the whole
"Together forever" thing

If that was the case, she'd have gone to Sctoland with her parents. She doesn't strike me as the kind who'd go back to Scotland because of her parents' wishes. Voodoopanda's explanation makes a lot more sense to me.

Um
It was her parents who didn't want her to originally go to Scottland, they left her in Japan and if not for Akira she would have been living with her grandparents.

"Together forever" thing

But she said when the MC asked that she followed her parent wishes when it came to school ( the previous one ) and the only reason she didn't went with them was because her sister was there .. In the end of the route , a major point brought up to the player is the fact that she doesn't mind going with her parents , the only drawback is the MC & hanako .. That's why if you play badly the game ends and she GOES in scotland . Both option are possible and both are what she wants ...in the GOOD end, you matter most to her , so she stays .

Acosta

Um
It was her parents who didn't want her to originally go to Scottland, they left her in Japan and if not for Akira she would have been living with her grandparents.

Exactly,
she wanted to go for Akira, and for not being completely alone. She had finished her studios, she knew English and could pursue her career in Scotland and had a nice home there, she even had a fair relationship with her parents. One thing it´s being independent, one different thing is being left completely alone with a, what?, a short relationship with a kind of unreliable guy too scared to have any initiative? Going to Scotland made sense for her, even if she loved Hisao, and she was mature and independent enough to understand that. I doubt she did it to "test" Hisao, on purpose, but it's obvious she needed some strong reaction from Hisao to convince her to stay in Japan against all reason and logic.

Edit: A second thinking to support this
Think on Akira, she left her boyfriend so she could take the new position, and that was for a longer and more established relationship for what we know. At the end, her boyfriend decided to follow her but she was ready to end that for her job. Lilly is not as business minded as her sister and father, but you can expect from her certain capacity to resist her emotions for her well being to a certain degree. She is collected, and she shows a good amount of self control and a kind of "armor" that only rarely cracks (meltdown when Hisao is near of death in Hokkaido, that angry outburst when Kenji throws her to the floor), so you can see that she needs some serious emotional pushing to stop her thinking in rational terms

Lopson

Neo Member
Whoops, pieatorium, my mistake. Yeah, I remember now,
it was even mentioned that they might've done that because of her blindness possibly ruining the family's reputation
. Right.
But she still doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd blindly follow her parents' wishes.

Whoops, pieatorium, my mistake. Yeah, I remember now,
it was even mentioned that they might've done that because of her blindness possibly ruining the family's reputation
. Right.
But she still doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd blindly follow her parents' wishes.

Akira also said something about not understanding Lilly's devotion to her parents and that they didn't go to live with Shizune because she knew Lilly would be against it because of their parents feud. To me it felt likr almost everything Lilly did proir to (and even most things after) she met Hisao were out of what she felt was expected of her as the daughter of a high society family

Javier

Well, I finished the Hanako route and got an ending where
Hisao and Hanako spend the night playing chess
. Definitely not the Good Ending, but was that a Bad ending or just "an ending"? Definitely didn't expect it to end there.

I went back to my last save, made the other choice and now the game continued to the next day.

Lopson

Neo Member
Well, I finished the Hanako route and got an ending where
Hisao and Hanako spend the night playing chess
. Definitely not the Good Ending, but was that a Bad ending or just "an ending"? Definitely didn't expect it to end there.

I went back to my last save, made the other choice and now the game continued to the next day.

That was a
Neutral Ending
, if I'm not mistaken.

Top Bottom