• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky may be about to lose its only abortion clinic

I know that the state of Kentucky doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation. We have, for example, two of the most intensely unpopular US senators out of the hundred. Our governor, Matt Bevin, is essentially Trump in a bottle but elected a year earlier. We have the coveted unofficial award for "Union-allied state that most wishes it had instead fought for the losing side of the civil war". And we've tricked most of you into eating terrible fried chicken at least once.

Well you may soon be able to add a new point to that list: we're gunning to be the only state in the country with zero abortion clinics, and that decision could be made this week.

Between protests and counter-protests, arrests and unrest, 2017 put Louisville in the epicenter of the abortion debate.

And this week, that fight hits the federal court.

EMW Women's Surgical Center, Kentucky's last abortion clinic, is fighting to stay open.

Earlier this year, the Cabinet for Health and Family Services tried to revoke EMW's license over the terms of the surgical center's transfer agreements with ambulance companies and hospitals, terms that up to now went unchallenged.

The same issue stopped abortions at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Louisville last year, so Planned Parenthood has joined the EMW case. Together, they say Gov. Matt Bevin's administration is trying to regulate all abortion clinics out of Kentucky.

Pro-life and pro-choice eyes nationwide are watching the case, in which a judge will decide whether it is better protection for women or a barrier to a women's right to choose. The outcome could set precedent for the country.

The trial starts Wednesday, and pro-choice supporters are planning a rally outside the federal courthouse at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Source

There's more at the link, but I felt like those selections about covered it.

Now, you may be thinking that this situation sounds eerily familiar, and you'd be right. Not long ago, TRAP (Targeted Restrictions on Abortion Providers) laws swept through the nation, with half of all states attempting to cut down on abortion clinics with absurdly specific and impossible to meet guidelines. In 2015 the Supreme Court even ruled a Texas TRAP law with cartoonishly strict standards unconstitutional.

You might be inclined to believe that Kentucky will follow the same path. However, sad as it is to say, two years ago was a VERY DIFFERENT TIME, and the situations are not entirely analogous. We've already seen the only other abortion clinic in the state (a Planned Parenthood clinic also in the liberal oasis of Louisville) successfully closed down earlier this year via the same methods. So if a federal court sides with the state and shuts down the EMW clinic, Kentucky would become the only state in the nation without any abortion service providers (even if only temporarily).

The outcome of this trial will not only be important in its own right, but regardless of the outcome could see itself in front of the Supreme Court once again... and given the differing methods between Kentucky and Texas, there's no guarantee we'll see the same outcome.

Kentucky is what happens when you let Republicans control everything. Other states need to look at us as a cautionary tale.

HotHamBoy

Louisville is a pretty okay city, 2 hours south of me in Indianapolis. They get good music and have some great arcade/pinball bars. You get great music and great pinball at Zanzabar, which is pretty much my whole reason for going there. Not to mention the Louisville Arcade Expo.

I guess I don't know much about the culture there but I'm not surprised that it's the only city in the state with an abortion clinic. Seems like a fairly liberal town.

Kentucky is what happens when you let Republicans control everything. Other states need to look at us as a cautionary tale.
Kentucky has turned into what many used to view Kansas and Wisconsin as... a model for what mainstream Republican party policies create when unopposed.

I do think it's important for people across the nation to keep an eye on Kentucky, because under Governor Bevin and with a Republican controlled congress, this state has rapidly shifted in the last two years alone (not that we were a bastion of progress before, but still). We need to be seen as a warning sign for what the Republican platform aims to do.

Abortion advocates in other red states should be watching very closely.

San Francisco, or Detroit is what happens when you let Democrats control everything. Other states need to look at us as a cautionary tale.

Kentucky has turned into what many used to view Kansas and Wisconsin as... a model for what mainstream Republican party policies create when unopposed.

I do think it's important for people across the nation to keep an eye on Kentucky, because under Governor Bevin and with a Republican controlled congress, this state has rapidly shifted in the last two years alone (not that we were a bastion of progress before, but still). We need to be seen as a warning sign for what the Republican platform aims to do.

Abortion advocates in other red states should be watching very closely.
I moved to KY at the end of 2014, and already seeing how quickly Bevin is fucking this state over.

AntoneM

San Francisco, or Detroit is what happens when you let Democrats control everything. Other states need to look at us as a cautionary tale.

Am I being Double Trolled? SF and Detroit aren't states. SF is one of the wealthiest cities in the world (you may argue whether that is good or bad).

How can an entire state have just one abortion clinic? This shit is so blatant.

Our newly elected (in 2015) governor Matt Bevin is basically the perfect fusion of Donald Trump and Mike Pence. He's an extremely sketchy businessman with no political experience prior to being Governor, and a failed run at a US senate seat in Kentucky before that. He has shady financial dealings with political supporters. He's a hardcore, authoritarian evangelical Christian. And he employs many of Trump's favorite tactics even before Trump got elected, like going to war with state and local media and attempting to use social media to bypass us completely (where he is also often intentionally misleading or false).

The man doesn't care about subtle or blatant. He just wants it HIS way.

devilhawk

I know that the state of Kentucky doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation. We have, for example, two of the most intensely unpopular US senators out of the hundred. Our governor, Matt Bevin, is essentially Trump in a bottle but elected a year earlier. We have the coveted unofficial award for "Union-allied state that most wishes it had instead fought for the losing side of the civil war". And we've tricked most of you into eating terrible fried chicken at least once.
Not with Missouri around, you don't.

Keri

Technically legal, but functionally impossible to obtain. That's where abortion rights are heading for a large chuck of this country and I'm losing hope it can be avoided. We're the generation that let an important women's right slip through our fingers.

ZOONAMI

What is happening in this thread. Did shwanbuddy stealth edit a terrible post?

Edit: Nvm missed one eyed willy terrible post.

zer0das

Banned
Not with Missouri around, you don't.

Missouri has a larger urban population, so it is far more likely Kentucky has a greater proportion of people who would have preferred to be in the Confederacy (at least in modern times). Also, I'll point out Kentucky didn't ratify the 13th amendment until 1976, only Mississippi was slower about that. To put it in perspective, Missouri was 8th to ratify it- in 1865.

devilhawk

Missouri has a larger urban population, so it is far more likely Kentucky has a greater proportion of people who would have preferred to be in the Confederacy (at least in modern times). Also, I'll point out Kentucky didn't ratify the 13th amendment until 1976, only Mississippi was slower about that. To put it in perspective, Missouri was 8th to ratify it- in 1865.
The Missouri flagship university to this day worships a mass-murderer and rapist who attacked innocent abolitionists in Kansas and burnt down an entire city.

This is what happens when you let Republicans control education. People who grow up not knowing the difference between a city and a state.

This is what happens when you let Republicans control education. People who grow up not knowing the difference between a city and a state.

giphy.webp

Living in Kentucky, I sometimes drove by a State Farm ad that said "GET TO A BETTER STATE."

Little did I know it wasn't merely a trite pun, but a warning from the future.

Seriously, fuck Bevin. I regret that I didn't appreciate what the last Democratic governor did for Kentucky in terms of promoting Obamacare adoption until it was too late and we got stuck with Mr. "Prayer patrols will solve our crime problems".

I really hope that abortion clinic is able to win that battle. It's absurd that the situation has come to this. Kentucky needs to really to adopt another industry other than breeding horses and shitty politicians.

zer0das

Banned
The Missouri flagship university to this day worships a mass-murderer and rapist who attacked innocent abolitionists in Kansas and burnt down an entire city.

That's a rather interesting take on the "border war" between MU and KU, which by the way, doesn't exist in sports anymore.

Kentucky is a really beautiful place to live, but there is some toxic shit overflowing in this state. Bevin is a big part of the problem.

Living in Kentucky, I sometimes drove by a State Farm ad that said "GET TO A BETTER STATE."

Little did I know it wasn't merely a trite pun, but a warning from the future.

Seriously, fuck Bevin. I regret that I didn't appreciate what the last Democratic governor did for Kentucky in terms of promoting Obamacare adoption until it was too late and we got stuck with Mr. "Prayer patrols will solve our crime problems".

I really hope that abortion clinic is able to win that battle. It's absurd that the situation has come to this. Kentucky needs to really to adopt another industry other than breeding horses and shitty politicians.

Don't forget bourbon! That sweet golden booze is basically a coping mechanism for me at this point... Kentucky has become a very unfriendly place for news media workers like myself.

Underhandedness like this goes to show how Republicans operate.

Will democrats have the power to bring it back if they win in 2020?

Yeah, they are. I guarantee you the vast majority of Christians are happy about this even if some of them, particularly younger ones, have enough sense to not be as open about it.

Not according to actual statistics.

As most Americans disagree that Roe v. Wade should be overturned, and when more than half of all Americans believe that abortion should be legal in most cases, and when even Catholics are divided about the government's place in abortion regulation, you shouldn't find it surprising that I doubt a vast majority of Christians support this measure.

Edit; I am by no means saying that Christians in general support abortion. I am disagreeing with the assertion that a "vast majority" of Christians would agree with this. Even half disagreeing would refute that statement.

Which is most likely true. If a little over half of the US agrees with Roe v. Wade/legalization of abortion, and the US is ~70% Christian, a vast majority can't be supportive of this decision.

Sources:
http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/public-opinion-on-abortion/
http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

LastNac

Fun fact, Republicans have only owned everything in the last 5 years. Before then the state was staunchly liberal on a local scale and conservative only on the national scale.

Top Bottom