• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kepler - There's two SoCs in development for next-gen PlayStation, not sure if it's a Series X/S situation or home console + handheld

NickFire

I really hope the plan is console and handheld.

I also hope they have realized they are the market leader. Market leaders shouldn't be chasing bad trends. They already tried that with software. Recipe for disaster.

Damn....so we gonna have Xbox vs PlayStation battling in the handheld space?

Warriors....

week GIF

Don't even feel it will be a battle if they both enter. It will be the same scenario. Xbox fans will buy the Xbox handheld and PS fans the PS handheld. We've seen where the lines tends to trend when that happens.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The reality is that the Series S strategy was brilliant and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it gets copied. Components aren't coming down and console sales aren't growing. They absolutely will be forced to do it to have any hardware at an entry level price point for casual consumers. You can't demand that the entire physical reality of the component market changes to your whims, but you can ask developers to just spend a little more time optimizing very scalable engines. It's really the only logical play. And it will likely have no disc drive, which everyone saw converted MS customers to digital painlessly in the most enviable way possible. MS was right about all of it when they came up with that gameplan years ago, even if consumers didn't respond to it from them.

As for what Sony is doing, no idea. Guess we'll see.

Sanepar

I hope is $500 for the handheld one and $1000 for the real deal. A $1000 console will be decent for 4-5 years.

Brucey

The reality is that the Series S strategy was brilliant and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it gets copied.
It was absolutely horrific in terms of handcuffing 1st party developers who could never push the series x to it's limits as they would always have to have the gimp version S at the forefront when it came to resource allocation.

NickFire

The reality is that the Series S strategy was brilliant and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it gets copied. Components aren't coming down and console sales aren't growing. They absolutely will be forced to do it to have any hardware at an entry level price point for casual consumers. You can't demand that the entire physical reality of the component market changes to your whims, but you can ask developers to just spend a little more time optimizing very scalable engines. It's really the only logical play. And it will likely have no disc drive, which everyone saw converted MS customers to digital painlessly in the most enviable way possible. MS was right about all of it when they came up with that gameplan years ago, even if consumers didn't respond to it from them.

Sir, I hate to inform you of this, but the Ambassador Program has been cancelled.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It was absolutely horrific in terms of handcuffing 1st party developers who could never push the series x to it's limits as they would always have to have the gimp version S at the forefront when it came to resource allocation.
Nothing was horrific except for the exaggeration and derangement on here. Hellblade 2 is literally the best looking game I've ever seen and it's on S. Starfield is on S. Forza is on S. If you didn't read online discourse, literally the only thing you would have even noticed is that you didn't get local split screen on 1 game. And most people admit the Series S concept would be nearly flawless if it just had a little more RAM. It's pretty easy to make it work. The alternative is going to market with an entry level $700 system and seeing how that affects growth rates in the industry.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nothing was horrific except for the exaggeration and derangement on here. Hellblade 2 is literally the best looking game I've ever seen and it's on S. Starfield is on S. Forza is on S. If you didn't read online discourse, literally the only thing you would have even noticed is that you didn't get local split screen on 1 game. And most people admit the Series S concept would be nearly flawless if it just had a little more RAM. It's pretty easy to make it work. The alternative is going to market with an entry level $700 system and seeing how that affects growth rates in the industry.
It's still a POS that clearly didn't work alternatively speaking.

I agree that the idea of the S is a good strategy but where MS failed is where Sony failed with the PS3. They ignore developers and didn't consult them on the issues of the hardware. Just increasing the RAM of the S would have solved all the issues but MS refused to listen.

I guarantee that if Sony is going this route they are consulting devs about the best way to do it and what is needed.

hinch7

If they get in before Valve's Steam Deck 2 that would interesting to see, from a sales POV.

A proper Windows device and OS designed for handheld gaming would be quite compelling imo. That's if they can pull it off.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Have been telling people it was going to be fairly expensive
I'm so down to pay more if it can bring tech that allows for experiences we can't get today. If it's bringing me the same games with just higher res and performance, I'm out. Maybe my expectations are too high, but it's been a boring past few gens with static mechanics underneath a shinier coat of paint.

Edit: I speak with some hyperbole, as of course there have been games that I have enjoyed

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Seems steam really got things going with the deck. Ms has rumors of a handheld too. Looks like next gen will have traditional and powerful but more expensive consoles and more affordable but capable handheld options. I'm here for it.

Elios83

The way things are going in the electronics business it might be the only viable way to have someting affordable on the market.
I don't think they'll follow the Series S example though, the cheap one will still be a 500$ device. It's the premium model that will cost like the Pro.

splattered

So copying Microsoft yet again :p

Test Studying GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Of course when Sony does it, it'll be genius...

Can't help but think the reason behind this would be the higher end consoles are going to be so obnoxiously expensive this is the only way they will sell through the number of overall consoles they need for their ecosystems... sigh.

I'm so down to pay more if it can bring tech that allows for experiences we can't get today. If it's bringing me the same games with just higher res and performance, I'm out. Maybe my expectations are too high, but it's been a boring past few gens with static mechanics underneath a shinier coat of paint.

Edit: I speak with some hyperbole, as of course there have been games that I have enjoyed

It's just going to be prettier graphics\FPS.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So copying Microsoft yet again :p

Test Studying GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Of course when Sony does it, it'll be genius...

Can't help but think the reason behind this would be the higher end consoles are going to be so obnoxiously expensive this is the only way they will sell through the number of overall consoles they need for their ecosystems... sigh.
That's one angle. But doubt they're copying that train wreck.

Or, the various other theories that are in this thread with actual hotter smoke. Portal/handheld or wireless PSVR.

HogIsland

Handheld ps6 that plays ps6 games is not super attractive. it would be even more of a hindrance to console PS6 than Series S is to Series X.

I'd rather see a Sony PC handheld that plays Playstation PC ports along with the whole PC history. Then Sony first party could greenlight some A/AA type games that play on the handheld and console without holding back the console.

Won't a handheld hold it back even more?
Not if it's not CPU and memory starved it wouldn't. Much easier to lower graphic settings than mess with game logic. That's the main problem with the series S and why devs struggle to get feature parity with the main console.

Imagine if PS5 Pro was released in 2020 for $999 alongside PS5 for $499.
That's probably what they will do with PS6 and PS6 Pro.

Bullshit, the reason why Sony does mid-gen is that technology evolves in 4 years

Even if you release a $3000 console, it will be obsolete 4 years later

That's how technology works

And that's why Xbox strategy with two consoles failed big time

I don't really believe Sony will ever make a dedicated handheld again (with specific software)

There's no market for it... Maybe a "Premium" Portal

Last edited:

W11d

Bullshit, the reason why Sony does mid-gen is that technology evolves in 4 years

Even if you release a $3000 console, it will be obsolete 4 years later

That's how technology works

And that's why Xbox strategy with two consoles failed big time
Xbox strategy failed because of Series S low RAM and the fact everyone targeting PS5 as a base

Parazels

The handheld space has been really hot for the past few years so a home console + handheld 1-2 punch for next-gen makes the most sense IMO.
To be honest to me it's difficult to take seriously any portable consoles except Switch.
I treat those pocket PCs as premature halfbaked toys.
But in case of Sony it's a different story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom