• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kepler - There's two SoCs in development for next-gen PlayStation, not sure if it's a Series X/S situation or home console + handheld

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PSP/Vita Resurrection done in the way of Steam Deck.

Bet.

Or... Wireless PSVR since that was leaked in the new firmware with a battery level.

Last edited:

XXL

So knowing if this is Playstation now.

I hope this is a Vita 2/PS6 situation and Not a Series S/Series X situation.

I personally think Playstation should just leave Nintendo alone and put all of their focus on Home Consoles.

I know some don't agree with that, but I thinks it's the proper strategy.

Depending on the specifics obviously.

Topher

Gold Member
Damn....so we gonna have Xbox vs PlayStation battling in the handheld space?

Warriors....

week GIF

Can only be home console + handheld to compete against Steam Deck. I really don't see them doing a Series S-X thing again.

What they should do is put their own store on their handheld and stop selling their games on PC. They don't make any money there anyways with the cost of ports and Steam's 30% tax. Their PC studios would be better at porting their games on their own handheld.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If Sony does two console specs next gen that's a good thing if you care about a premium spec. If they only do one SoC you're just going to get the low-end console. They care more about mass market reach than catering to the premium segment.
The low end console will just hold the high end console back. It is known.

intbal

Damn....so we gonna have Xbox vs PlayStation battling in the handheld space?
Not really.
The Xbox will likely be a Windows Handheld. It will be competing with ROG Ally, Steam Deck, etc.
They won't be making a dedicated handheld console.
Just my speculation, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So knowing if this is Playstation now.

I hope this is a Vita 2/PS6 situation and Not a Series S/Series X situation.

I personally think Playstation should just leave Nintendo alone and put all of their focus on Home Consoles.

I know some don't agree with that, but I thinks it's the proper strategy.

Depending on the specifics obviously.
Remember... this is still in play and would be a smaller SoC
ps5-fans-think-sonys-accidentally-leaked-a-wireless-psvr2-headset-1.large.jpg

Kurotri

So it looks like both MS and Sony are going for the expensive console and affordable handheld combo next-gen. Very interesting times ahead of us. With Switch 2 and Steam Deck on top we are really gonna have handhelds being the main attraction.

Last edited:
I am predicting they will:

- Put their own store (and only their) on their Playstation Deck
- Stop porting (wasting) their games on PC (well actually Steam which is their main competitor).
- Ask their teams dedicated to PC ports to port their games on their handheld instead

Last edited:

killatopak

One thing I trust about Sony handhelds were their build quality and ergonomics. Love them.

Unfortunately they absolutely suck at supporting them with first party games. I would buy one if it just played indie games. That’s practically what my Vita amounted to on the second half of the lifespan other than obscure japanese third party games which I did like as well. Just almost non-existent first party and western support was a death sentence. That and the huge portable games not being released like MH.

I am predicting they will:

- Put their own store (and only their) on their Playstation Deck
- Stop porting (wasting) their games on PC (well actually Steam which is their main competitor).
- Ask their teams dedicated to PC ports to port their games on their handheld instead
The only way that would be possible is to have a few massive gaas titles that print money to keep their software afloat via funding. A separate store on pc would be a hard sell considering epic vs steam.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Wouldn't be shocked if Sony did a dual-tier console launch next gen.

With chip costs increasing it makes sense to do your base/pro console at the start of the gen imo.

The only way that would be possible is to have a few massive gaas titles that print money to keep their software afloat via funding. A separate store on pc would be a hard sell considering epic vs steam.
If they release their own handheld + store and keep releasing their games on Steam then their handheld would compete against their games sold on Steam Deck! Most people will prefer keeping their games on Steam ecosystem and their handheld will fail.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
After seeing Sony target $699/799 euros, i think MS is going for $999 minimum.

The handheld will be 'affordable' at $599 and compete with Nintendo switch.

No idea what OS will they be using but i highly doubt they will partner up with Steam.
This those of you wanting 399 consoles going forward you better be prepared to ride out ps5 series x for another 7 years.

This also probably means cross gen games are going to be with us much longer next gen as sales will definitely not hit 120 million units with 800+ consoles.

I don't know. Word was a couple of weeks ago that Sony was watching the handheld market with a lot of interest.
Not sure how it would make sense for them when they rule the home console space and have a great complimentary product with the Portal that has room to improve while not holding them back on greater fidelity and fps. Not to mention the handheld field is already incredibly crowded with great products with Switch 2 about to throwdown, a potential MS handheld, and the inevitable SD2.

rm082e

Is it possible they're going with a more modest design and a higher end design for now, but will eventually focus on just one? Like maybe they want to keep their options open and see what the economy is like 2 years from now when they have to start narrowing down their decisions?

MLID also said that Sony and AMD were working on a handled. The first SOC is probably for a home console which will be expensive and the other for a portable one which will be more affordable.

Top Bottom