• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Holy shit, new KSP players have no idea how easy you have it. Unlocking the first star in pilot XP makes Mun landings a breeze. Just click retrograde, and manage your vertical speed. That is it. I came in at suicide burn speed, floored it at the last minute, and hit 10 m/s probably 20m from the surface, over cooked it, started accelerating back upward, did three somersaults, went beck to manual mode (yeah fuck those autopilot buttons, I'm god damn Neil Armstrong!) and landed her safe and sound. I recommend doing some Mun or Minmus landings with no pilot assists. You have to experience the thrill of chasing a retrograde marker at least once. Those auto pilot buttons are great through.

Woah, those circle icons are buttons that you can toggle on and off? MIND BLOWN!!! I've done three Mun landings already with Jeb who has one star and I've still been piloting the old fashioned way, I've got to try this out tonight!!!!

Yeay first 1.0 Mun landing. I just realized I didn't have the uncompressed option enabled in Steam, so the screenshot is pretty ugly.

Wow, Steam can be set to take uncompressed screenshots? I never knew this, holy shit.

Edit: Ok, I just rewatched the science bit on Scott Manley's Career Tutorial part 2, which was pre 1.0.1, and I couldn't do any of that take all, store all trick last night on the Mun. I could only store one science expiriment in the Mk1 and only one EVA. I had to do an EVA, transmit it (it transmits for 100% which is nice) and then get back out, do another EVA. No more infinite storage it seems. Can anyone else confirm this?

It still works the same as it always has, you just can't store multiple copies of the same data, so you can have many EVA's stored just not the same EVA data stored multiple times. No duplicates in other words.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Ready to jump back into this now that 1.0 is out.

Any must have mods? Specifically UI or info based, like that one that used to give more info on velocities? Not parts or anything.

I also hear a lot of complaints about the tech tree order, any mods to fix that yet? (Is that even possible?)

I've got two tourist contracts each for a pair of Kerbals that want to orbit Kerbin. So I figured the most efficient thing is to stuff them all in a hitchhiker can and launch them with a robot probe.

I'm running into some trouble, though. I don't have any rockets yet to match its diameter, but I was reading that the drag model is pretty much just based on mass rather than cross section. And it's not really heavier than the previous triple cockpit rockets I've used before.

What gives?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
checking the Scott Manley tutorials - the science and tech tree is pretty different in the actual game. Can't do an EVA in space yet, and can't seem to do soil samples on the ground. So the science points I'm getting seem quite limited so far.

For the career at least, what tips are there to progress? There only seem to be altitude and distance records to go for - are there career goals other than unlocking the tree?

Any must have mods? Specifically UI or info based, like that one that used to give more info on velocities? Not parts or anything.

I also hear a lot of complaints about the tech tree order, any mods to fix that yet? (Is that even possible?)

Kerbal Engineer is the go to mod for tons of useful data in UI overlays.

The tech tree is fine. Some minor tweaks can make it slightly more favorable, but every node is useful if you know what you are doing, or take a minute to consider your upcoming missions and part needs. Some people want to only build one type of rocket and want to use only the most optimal parts. How boring and un-KSP. Half the fun of career is making due with what you have, planning what you want to do next, and working toward it. You hit a tipping point once you can get to Minmus and Mun where you start bringing in science by the boat load and as long as you think about the nodes you are unlocking, trips to Duna and beyond are viable very early in the game.

I've got two tourist contracts each for a pair of Kerbals that want to orbit Kerbin. So I figured the most efficient thing is to stuff them all in a hitchhiker can and launch them with a robot probe.

I'm running into some trouble, though. I don't have any rockets yet to match its diameter, but I was reading that the drag model is pretty much just based on mass rather than cross section. And it's not really heavier than the previous triple cockpit rockets I've used before.

What gives?

Just stack Mk1 command pods on top of each other, or make a radial layout. Then, only bring along one Kerbal, and the other two can be filled with tourists.The Mk1 command pod has good areo and heat resistance. No need to lug that massive hitchiker can around until you have large rocket parts.

checking the Scott Manley tutorials - the science and tech tree is pretty different in the actual game. Can't do an EVA in space yet, and can't seem to do soil samples on the ground. So the science points I'm getting seem quite limited so far.

For the career at least, what tips are there to progress? There only seem to be altitude and distance records to go for - are there career goals other than unlocking the tree?

You need to do facility upgrades for the EVA ability, as well as surface samples. I can't remember what facility it is off hand. Just go around right clicking on all the facilities to see what the upgrades give you, then buy the ones you immediately need. Career mode tends to start heavily focused on science so you can unlock parts in the tech tree. At some point your missions and contracts get more ambitious, and the reaming tech nodes become less important, or you will eventually unlock all nodes. There will be a time in game you will probably want to use strategies to convert science to funds. I have found reputation gains to be well balanced by just completing contracts. As you gain reputation, you will be offered bigger and more complex contracts. The early contracts are pretty basic. But once you stat doing things like Munar flybys and landings, they quickly ratchet up due to the big reputation gains. You will always have plenty of contracts on offer, so if you keep grinding out lower level contracts that yield reputation, you will unlock bigger contracts even if you haven't hit exploration milestones like the Mun or Minmus. Don't worry if you get contracts you can't complete yet. They either have huge expiration dates, or will reappear or something very similar will in its place.

It still works the same as it always has, you just can't store multiple copies of the same data, so you can have many EVA's stored just not the same EVA data stored multiple times. No duplicates in other words.

Ah ok, that makes sense, I probably wasn't paying attention and was trying to double up reports from the same biome or condition.

Just stack Mk1 command pods on top of each other, or make a radial layout. Then, only bring along one Kerbal, and the other two can be filled with tourists.The Mk1 command pod has good areo and heat resistance. No need to lug that massive hitchiker can around until you have large rocket parts.
Yeah, that's what I did with previous double tourists using a command pod and a couple of inline cockpits. I just figured that since a hitchhiker can weighs less than that, I could launch all four at once and scoop a better return on my investment.

Oh well.

I'll second Kerbal Engineer. MechJeb is nice of you get tired of doing all the burns and launches manually. I person find Kerbal Alarm Clock indispensable. It lets you set an alarm for maneuver nodes, SoI changes, etc. so you can switch to other ships and do other missions or contracts whole waiting for your first craft to get into position.

Yeah, that's what I did with previous double tourists using a command pod and a couple of inline cockpits. I just figured that since a hitchhiker can weighs less than that, I could launch all four at once and scoop a better return on my investment.

Oh well.

You can probably get it into orbit with the small rocket parts, especially if you have the large cone to put on top of it for better aero. You might just have to rely on SRBs to brute force it through lower atmosphere. If you are going to rely on SRBs, make sure to have some control surface wings on the tail of your rocket, otherwise many many flips are in store.

I'll second Kerbal Engineer. MechJeb is nice of you get tired of doing all the burns and launches manually. I person find Kerbal Alarm Clock indispensable. It lets you set an alarm for maneuver nodes, SoI changes, etc. so you can switch to other ships and do other missions or contracts whole waiting for your first craft to get into position.

Oh nice, I didn't realize Kerbal Alarm Clock did all that. I thought it was just warp to next node. I think I will install Engineer, Enhanced Navball and Alarm clock tonight. I don't like mods that add parts, but I do like any additional info or UI tweaks.

Oh nice, I didn't realize Kerbal Alarm Clock did all that. I thought it was just warp to next node. I think I will install Engineer, Enhanced Navball and Alarm clock tonight. I don't like mods that add parts, but I do like any additional info or UI tweaks.

Yup. You can also set alarms for the ideal interplanetary transfer windows. You can set the alarm to pause the game, kill warp, and pop up a message box. The message box gives you a button that switches you over to the craft in question. It's very, very nice.

Gwarf

Banned
Oh noes!

I did a quick-save after getting into orbit and now I cant revert the mission! I don't have enough fuel to get into low orbit around the sun. I think I have been abusing the revert bailout a little too much.

On another note, I finally realized that a scientist gives 100% more science! (duh) Does that mean all the missions I collected science with a pilot I wasted 50% science I can never get back? I wonder if it will lead to me restarting my career from a lack on science.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh noes!

I did a quick-save after getting into orbit and now I cant revert the mission! I don't have enough fuel to get into low orbit around the sun. I think I have been abusing the revert bailout a little too much.

On another note, I finally realized that a scientist gives 100% more science! (duh) Does that mean all the missions I collected science with a pilot I wasted 50% science I can never get back? I wonder if it will lead to me restarting my career from a lack on science.

can a scientist fly the rocket?

I was trying the 'test fire the radial parachutes' contract yesterday and it was really tricky - need to trigger it between 3-7000m, and between 400-1400m/s. Any time I tried to fly horizontally under power to get enough speed my rocket would start tumbling, and if I tried doing it via reentry, you slow down too much by the time you hit 7,000m. Managed it eventually by using 5 solid rocket boosters and opening the parachute on the ascent. But why was my rocket so unstable?

zer0das

Banned
can a scientist fly the rocket?

I was trying the 'test fire the radial parachutes' contract yesterday and it was really tricky - need to trigger it between 3-7000m, and between 400-1400m/s. Any time I tried to fly horizontally under power to get enough speed my rocket would start tumbling, and if I tried doing it via reentry, you slow down too much by the time you hit 7,000m. Managed it eventually by using 5 solid rocket boosters and opening the parachute on the ascent. But why was my rocket so unstable?

Yes, scientists can fly but they can't initially use the SAS mode (Stability Augmentation System... aka the "t" button) which auto stabilizes your ship. Later in the tech tree, more advanced parts will open up SAS to non-pilots. Pilots get other upgrades that help with maneuvering later too. It might be a symmetry issue too. Those are the two most likely reasons. I didn't learn about SAS for a long time, but it made flying my plane like a million times easier (don't have to constantly adjust stuff to fly relatively straight).

Oh noes! Does that mean all the missions I collected science with a pilot I wasted 50% science I can never get back? I wonder if it will lead to me restarting my career from a lack on science.

Yes and no. You can't get science via the methods you have already used if they're already maxed, but there are other ways to get science (reputation to science conversion in particular) that make it sort of moot later given there are repeating missions that mission control gives that give a decent clip of reputation. But if you're having problems getting more science, you might want to restart. The first two layers of the tech tree are really easy to get once you understand how the science system works. I probably spent like 10-15 hours unlocking them the first time before hitting a wall and then like <2 hours the second time.

Gwarf

Banned
Yes, scientists can fly but they can't initially use the SAS mode (Stability Augmentation System... aka the "t" button) which auto stabilizes your ship. Later in the tech tree, more advanced parts will open up SAS to non-pilots. Pilots get other upgrades that help with maneuvering later too. It might be a symmetry issue too. Those are the two most likely reasons. I didn't learn about SAS for a long time, but it made flying my plane like a million times easier (don't have to constantly adjust stuff to fly relatively straight).

Yes and no. You can't get science via the methods you have already used if they're already maxed, but there are other ways to get science (reputation to science conversion in particular) that make it sort of moot later given there are repeating missions that mission control gives that give a decent clip of reputation. But if you're having problems getting more science, you might want to restart. The first two layers of the tech tree are really easy to get once you understand how the science system works. I probably spent like 10-15 hours unlocking them the first time before hitting a wall and then like <2 hours the second time.

Thanks, also I didn't know you could gather science from around the base until after reading a bit more! It helped me get over the drought.

Is there a way to make the game a bit more arcadey?

Arcadey? Not really. It would cease to be the game it is and in my opinion, completely defeat the purpose of playing KSP. More manageable? Yes, for sure. If you really want to "turn on the assists" there is a very impressive mod called, MechJeb that basically can be your auto pilot. You still have to build your ships (I don't know why you would want to eliminate this part, it is a lot of fun) but as long as you craft is of reasonably sound structure and design, MechJeb can take the reins and get you to space and beyond.

I am sure anyone who has dropped into a Souls thread is familiar with fans making this plea, but if you are interested in Kerbal Space Program, don't give up and keep at it. Watch some KSP tutorial youtube videos, they are much more helpful than the in game tutorials. Everyone, myself included, throughly enjoys Scott Manley's series of tutorial videos. (He is currently making an entirely new series of videos just for 1.0 beginners!) Both figuratively and literally, playing KSP is a building process. You will better understand how to build your rockets after blowing up a few dozen. You will better understand how to get to the Mun after you achieve your first orbit around the Kerbin. Not only does this game offer some of the most rewarding and satisfying moments in gaming, it will likely help you better understand the entire realm of real world space exploration and even your place in the universe. That is how fucking cool this game is.

Edit: There are kind of "cheat codes" available in the game if you just want to dick around with infinite fuel and indestructable rockets. You can enable them all in the debug menu, alt+F12 I think.

Crispy75

Word :)

After rinsing Cities Skylines for a hundred and stupid hours, I went and downloaded the new KSP. It's been a while.

Career mode is fantastic :) The Contracts give you a really good structure to work round, and the randomly generated ones can be a real challenge sometimes. Only just done my first orbit, but Mun flyby is my next 3-star contract :)

Mengy

Word :)

After rinsing Cities Skylines for a hundred and stupid hours, I went and downloaded the new KSP. It's been a while.

Career mode is fantastic :) The Contracts give you a really good structure to work round, and the randomly generated ones can be a real challenge sometimes. Only just done my first orbit, but Mun flyby is my next 3-star contract :)

Between Cities Skylines, KSP, Dirt Rally, Euro Truck's Scandinavia expansion, and oh yeah Elite Dangerous, man I'll be playing nothing but sim games for like the rest of the year!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it weird that I'm ok with the basic concepts of orbital mechanics and can get a ship into orbit pretty easily, but I'm still confused by all the back and forth needing to efficiently collect science? Drop this, report that, EVA, collect it, store it, put your left leg in, do the hokey cokey..

Slayven

Arcadey? Not really. It would cease to be the game it is and in my opinion, completely defeat the purpose of playing KSP. More manageable? Yes, for sure. If you really want to "turn on the assists" there is a very impressive mod called, MechJeb that basically can be your auto pilot. You still have to build your ships (I don't know why you would want to eliminate this part, it is a lot of fun) but as long as you craft is of reasonably sound structure and design, MechJeb can take the reins and get you to space and beyond.

I am sure anyone who has dropped into a Souls thread is familiar with fans making this plea, but if you are interested in Kerbal Space Program, don't give up and keep at it. Watch some KSP tutorial youtube videos, they are much more helpful than the in game tutorials. Everyone, myself included, throughly enjoys Scott Manley's series of tutorial videos. (He is currently making an entirely new series of videos just for 1.0 beginners!) Both figuratively and literally, playing KSP is a building process. You will better understand how to build your rockets after blowing up a few dozen. You will better understand how to get to the Mun after you achieve your first orbit around the Kerbin. Not only does this game offer some of the most rewarding and satisfying moments in gaming, it will likely help you better understand the entire realm of real world space exploration and even your place in the universe. That is how fucking cool this game is.

Edit: There are kind of "cheat codes" available in the game if you just want to dick around with infinite fuel and indestructable rockets. You can enable them all in the debug menu, alt+F12 I think.

I sue to dick around with Orbiter, Kerbal is not on that level. But sometimes you just don't want to micromanage everything.

Ark

I've landed on the Moon twice now. Sort of.

The first time was a perfect landing, but I went to reply to Steam message and hit shift + tab which caused my engine to go off and make my module fall over and explode. The second time, just now, I hit the surface of the moon at 9.2 m/s and exploded. Hopefully tomorrow will be the lucky third try, I want to bring Jeb home.

I love this game.

r1chard

Last night I finally realised that I could do rescue / tourist missions using a Stayputnik on top of an empty command pod. I'm a bit slow sometimes :)

I sue to dick around with Orbiter, Kerbal is not on that level. But sometimes you just don't want to micromanage everything.

If it micromanaging things, there are tons of really helpful utility mods. You can also always download other people's craft files and fly their ships for fun. But orbital mechanics are always going to be oribital mechanics.

I managed to get my first stable Kerbin orbit and return with a ship I built from scratch! I wanted to do it before unlocking anything in the 4th layer of the tech tree. Here's an album of the mission:

http://imgur.com/a/Cgx8l

Well done. Getting that first stable orbit and safely returning to Kerbin is a huge first step. For anyone who is familiar with skateboarding, establishing orbit is the "ollie" of KSP. You can't kickflip without first knowing how to ollie.

Is this as addictive as it looks?

If the game already appeals to you enough that you feel it may be addictive, that I would say undoubtedly yes. I understand that KSP isn't for everyone, but I do believe it has a very broad appeal, you just have to give it a shot. I am really happy they updated the demo for that reason. Achieving all of the milestones of space exploration are a very satisfying experience that keeps you wanting to always try something new or more ambitious. Tackling challenging objectives on space ships you design and fly yourself is incredibly rewarding.

You might as well give the demo a try, but I am willing to bet if you are interested enough to try that you will end up buying the full game after your first launch. *a disembodied voice ominously chants in the background* one of us, one of us, one of us

Mengy

Yes, yes it is.

I managed to get my first stable Kerbin orbit and return with a ship I built from scratch! I wanted to do it before unlocking anything in the 4th layer of the tech tree. Here's an album of the mission:

Good job! I've got a 1.25m rocket design now that can consistently get me into an easy Mun orbit, landing, and return. What I want to do next is put a science station into Mun orbit, and I'm having a hard time building a heavy 2.5m rocket that can do the job. I keep running out of fuel before I can circularize into Munar orbit. I've tried an asparagus design, I've tried using solid rocket boosters, no dice yet. I'm close, but I may need to open up a few more tech branches to get some better parts before I can pull it off.

Ark

I bought KSP in the Winter sale and only fired it up on Sunday evening, expecting to only play for an hour or so to see how it was. By Tuesday morning I had 19 hours logged on Steam.

I love it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Is there a reason you brought almost the entire ship back? Much easier if you throw most of it away.

Would be interested in any tips for post-orbit stuff like going to the mun. Everything just seems hugely more complex. Especially how you plan the intercept - I tried a burn from orbit to take me into the same orbit as mun, but it was the opposite side of the orbit to me.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been avoiding outside help for the most part in this game, but I made a dumb move in career mode. I kept thinking the game wanted me to start getting into orbit with such primitive rockets. I tried for hours to find the right combination, coming ever so close.

Then I said screw it and started attaching some experiments to my creations. I just went up as high as I could and landed. I noticed I was collecting so much science from this and progress just started flowing like crazy. The game never wanted me getting into orbit that early...

Crispy75

Is there a reason you brought almost the entire ship back? Much easier if you throw most of it away.

Would be interested in any tips for post-orbit stuff like going to the mun. Everything just seems hugely more complex. Especially how you plan the intercept - I tried a burn from orbit to take me into the same orbit as mun, but it was the opposite side of the orbit to me.

1. Get into orbit (bog standard 100km or so)
2. Imagine Kerbin as the center of a clock. With the Mun at 12, wait till your craft is at 4 then burn prograde. You should get an intercept.

For other worlds, this helps:
http://ksp.olex.biz/

Mengy

1. Get into orbit (bog standard 100km or so)
2. Imagine Kerbin as the center of a clock. With the Mun at 12, wait till your craft is at 4 then burn prograde. You should get an intercept.

For other worlds, this helps:
http://ksp.olex.biz/

Burn at 4, eh? I usually burn at 6, maybe I'll try 4 to see if it works better.

Crispy75

Burn at 4, eh? I usually burn at 6, maybe I'll try 4 to see if it works better.
Should do :) once you unlock manoeuvre nodes you can put in a burn that takes you out to the mun's orbit, then scrub it round your own orbit till you get an intercept.

Better yet, go for the old school pre-maneuver nodes Mun encounter. It is surprisingly easy. Get a circularized 100Km orbit in a 90 degree heading (anti-clockwise around Kerbin when looking at the north pole from above). Adjust your camera view so you are looking in the direction your ship is traveling so you can see the Kerbin horizon. Start time accelerating (not too fast) until you see the Mun begin to rise up from behind the Kerbin horizon. Once you can see the Mun, stop any time acceleration,and burn prograde. Now switch over to your oribital map view and as soon as you see a Mun encounter show up (purple lines), kill your engines. Once you are at least a a quarter of the way to the Mun, you can now do adjustment burns to change the Pe of your Mun encounter. Feel free to use maneuver nodes at this point.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Alright, now that I figured out how to game the science system this game is becoming fun and it feels like I'm making progress. Unfortunately I'm almost out of money. If have about enough for a mission to Mun… I don't suppose there is a loan system? Or maybe I just need to accept some missions and hope that I can finish one of them. Most of them are rescue mission or require me to put a satellite into orbit around Minmus.

Alright, now that I figured out how to game the science system this game is becoming fun and it feels like I'm making progress. Unfortunately I'm almost out of money. If have about enough for a mission to Mun… I don't suppose there is a loan system? Or maybe I just need to accept some missions and hope that I can finish one of them. Most of them are rescue mission or require me to put a satellite into orbit around Minmus.

Worst case, the Admin Building will let you trash your rep for a bunch of money.

I just reached 70km for the first time. I experienced some weird problem and it goes like this:

1. Launch OK
2. Detach 1st stage OK
3. Hit "]" in order to watch the first stage
4. Activate 2nd stage OK
5. Hit "]" to go back to 1st stage free fall.
6. After a while I cannot go to back to the module at all!

I've killed like 5 Kerbals doing this and I feel awful!

Is there a way to go back to focusing on the module and still watch the debris?

Another question is: I've put parachutes on all the stages in order to save some money recovering them, but I don't know if it's working.Is this a viable strategy?

Good to know. Is reputation good for anything?

Reputation is what unlocks bigger contracts. What you might want to do is design a rocket that can handle a few easy contracts back to back. Like do two tourist missions in a row using the same rocket, or two rescue missions. If you are able to recover a lot of parts and not spend a lot designing it, you can bank some quick cash. You could also take on a mission with a lengthy expiration date that gives you a good chunk of upfront cash.

Kinthalis

Banned
I unlocked that little bay in career mode that's supposed ot let you kepe things like batteries safe on the return trip... how do you use it?

Nothing in my ship stats changes when I put anything in there. Battteries don't add to my charge levels, and some things just don't seem to go in there at all, like the goo experiments or antennas.

I just reached 70km for the first time. I experienced some weird problem and it goes like this:

1. Launch OK
2. Detach 1st stage OK
4. Activate 2nd stage OK

Another question is: I've put parachutes on all the stages in order to save some money recovering them, but I don't know if it's working.Is this a viable strategy?

I think recovering any stages in the atmosphere is a lost cause. Any stage that you can get to hit a sub-orbital path or one that gets jettisoned within a stable orbit, you can put probe cores on to control them and recover them. You will need to make sure the stages have enough battery to operate the probe core as well as enough reserve fuel if you need to perform a de-orbit burn.

Switching back and forth between vessels during your atmospheric stages seems like a recipe for disaster.

Edit: SRBs are cheap for this reason, just make them do all the early heavy lifting. There is also a 2.5Km (this may be different in 1.0) physics limit when in Kerbin atmosphere. Debris more than 2.5Km away from the vessel you are controlling while in atmpshere is deleted. I am not that familiar with this aspect but it is what I could find when looking in to recovering stages within Kerbin atmosphere during launch.

Edit2: Er yeah I think Crispy75 is right, it is the swapping distance limit that is not allowing you to go back to your main craft with the [ ] keys. Again, not really worth it to recover boosters or simple first stages by going back and forth like crazy. I am pretty sure the economy is balanced around recovering the main parts of your craft, not every single stage.

Crispy75

1. Launch OK
2. Detach 1st stage OK
4. Activate 2nd stage OK

You can't hot-swap between vessels beyond a certain (short) range. Parachutes on discarded stages will need a probe core of some kind in order to activate them without a pilot flying the stage. You might be able to use the map screen to switch control fast enough if you don't mind your primary craft coasting while you do it.

1. Launch OK
2. Detach 1st stage OK
4. Activate 2nd stage OK

You can look into the Stage Recovery Mod. It pretty much does what you're trying to do. When falling debris would be destroyed, it does a little math to work out the terminal velocity of the parts and see if you've got enough parachutes attached to each one. If it could have landed sufficiently slowly, it gives you a refund based on the softness of the landing and distance from KSC.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Reputation is what unlocks bigger contracts. What you might want to do is design a rocket that can handle a few easy contracts back to back. Like do two tourist missions in a row using the same rocket, or two rescue missions. If you are able to recover a lot of parts and not spend a lot designing it, you can bank some quick cash. You could also take on a mission with a lengthy expiration date that gives you a good chunk of upfront cash.

Well, that was an exciting two trips. I had a lot less money than I remembered, but fortunately there was an easy contract to get some science from space around Kerbin. With the advanced cash from that and a small loan I was able to send another rocket to the Mun. My previous and first mission to the Mun ended in a minor warp mishap which spelled the end of Jebediah(?). Fortunately for Valentina and the Kerbal space program the second mission was a complete success! I now have more science than ever and enough money to build bigger and (hopefully) better rockets!

zer0das

Banned

To spite my friend when he insisted I should dump it? :p There was actually a first stage that was much larger that I didn't take a picture of. I only brought back like 1/10th of my ship.

The reentry ship was basically a variation on my standard sub-orbital setup and extending it to orbital situations wasn't that bad. I realize there's probably other ways to do it, but I'm comfortable landing with a relatively large final stage. I can get more of my ship to Kerbin for recovery and it doesn't significantly make things more difficult for me. The hard part was refining my technique until I could execute my burns into stable orbit without making mistakes.

To spite my friend when he insisted I should dump it? :p There was actually a first stage that was much larger that I didn't take a picture of. I only brought back like 1/10th of my ship.

The reentry ship was basically a variation on my standard sub-orbital setup and extending it to orbital situations wasn't that bad. I realize there's probably other ways to do it, but I'm comfortable landing with a relatively large final stage. I can get more of my ship to Kerbin for recovery and it doesn't significantly make things more difficult for me. The hard part was refining my technique until I could execute my burns into stable orbit without making mistakes.

It isn't a big deal for quick trips to LKO (low kerbin orbit) but it is not the best long term strategy as you start to branch out. You are wasting delta V lugging around empty tanks. You want to drop as much dead weight as quickly as possible. You are going to be spending more money overbuilding to get enough delta V to move all that extra weight around than the money you'd save by bringing a few extra empty fuel tanks and an engine back for recovery. If you really want to bring back your penultimate stage, throw a probe core, some parachutes, a battery and save enough fuel for a deorbit burn.

Top Bottom