• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER IS DEAD |OT| LOVE AND KILL

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hoping to play more tonight, especially since I was able to redeem the pre-order DLC. Any suggestions on what gifts work best, or just try everything with all the females to work towards the 50 gifts given trophy/achievement?

Also, was I the only one surprised that you go to
the moon
on Episode 4, which seemed MUCH earlier than expected?

Persona7

Banned
The controls are really smooth once you get the hang of them. I tried gigolo mode and it gave me a C rating after coffee was spilled in Mondos lap.

Hoping to play more tonight, especially since I was able to redeem the pre-order DLC. Any suggestions on what gifts work best, or just try everything with all the females to work towards the 50 gifts given trophy/achievement?

Also, was I the only one surprised that you go to
the moon
on Episode 4, which seemed MUCH earlier than expected?

The hot blooded girl went wild over the single flower I gave her, while the geisha i won over with the ikebana and the tiger fan.
Be sure to look her in the eyes after she starts to see you, you get a bonus for that, too.

Amazon.co.uk shipped my game (Fan Edition) at 8pm on Thursday, and what's curious is that they actually shipped from my country and not from the UK, nor any other country like France or Germany.
So as of right now it's in a city a few kilometers from where I live, and it's been sent in a 24H package. Problem is, it shipped quite late into the day so should it take 24H to get to me, I won't get it today and will have to wait until Monday.

Would've been neat to get it in only a day though.

Yuterald

Yo, Episode 6 was really cool. Boss fight was great too. I'm definitely enjoying this more than Shadows of the Damned & Lollipop Chainsaw. The original No More Heroes and Killer 7 are my favorite Grasshopper/Suda51 trips, but this game is fast approaching 3rd place right after those check-yo games.

The combat is definitely the best shit they've pulled off too. Just purchased the Just Guard/Smash skill and I'm wrecking enemies. It's so much fun to Dodge Burst into a Burst Rush, wrack up those hits, and then chain enemies into Final Judgments for those bonuses. Combat feels good, like a sloppy wet pizza kinda-goodness.

Yo, Episode 6 was really cool. Boss fight was great too. I'm definitely enjoying this more than Shadows of the Damned & Lollipop Chainsaw. The original No More Heroes and Killer 7 are my favorite Grasshopper/Suda51 trips, but this game is fast approaching 3rd place right after those check-yo games.

The combat is definitely the best shit they've pulled off too. Just purchased the Just Guard/Smash skill and I'm wrecking enemies. It's so much fun to Dodge Burst into a Burst Rush, wrack up those hits, and then chain enemies into Final Judgments for those bonuses. Combat feels good, like a sloppy wet pizza kinda-goodness.

Great feeling to get a nice chain going, then being generous with the Final Judgments and end up having all of those goodies puked out of enemies.

How long is this?

The average time seems to be about 10 hours, I landed just over 9. Did a few side missions but ended up getting to the last stage faster than I realized. That said, I immediately starting playing again due to post game unlocks, playing missions i missed, leveling Mondo, finding hidden items and areas within stages and all that jazz. Then there are the Scarlett missions, arena based trials. Lots of stuff to do.

george_us

Only about 30 minutes in but I'm already glad I bought this.

The game is one giant pile of WTF and is a nice example of why I love Japanese games. Even bad ones.

schlew

It's probably a lack of me wrapping my head completely around the combat, but does anyone use the Right Trigger 'move' outside of being prompted? You know, when the game shows a RT icon over the enemy's head? Is it just a way to deliver some quick damage, at the cost of using blood?

Persona7

Banned
It's probably a lack of me wrapping my head completely around the combat, but does anyone use the Right Trigger 'move' outside of being prompted? You know, when the game shows a RT icon over the enemy's head? Is it just a way to deliver some quick damage, at the cost of using blood?

Yeah, you can just hold the button and then attack a enemy if you have blood.

Arklite

You can use it to insta-kill regular enemies if you want to thin out mobs. Haven't used it much outside of Scarlett's timed challenges.

schlew

Ah, I see, thanks!

To anyone who has played Mission 51, is there an ideal time in the game to play it? Should I wait until the main story is finished?

Just not sure where it's tied into the narrative (if at all), and don't want to ruin anything.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, so the Gigolo glasses tell you what the girls like. Though it's annoying I gotta keep re-putting them on. & holy crap, the "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH" after you beat the mode is just too funny. Need to figure out how to get a higher ranking.

Xamdou

I preordered the limited edition from Gamestop, it was released Tuesday and was able to pick it up today, Thursday. Weird thing is I didn't even get a call from GS that the game was out, anywho I am just glad I am able to get the limited edition even though I picked it up late.

ST2K

I'm on Chapter 6 (I think, just finished the
dream mission
) and I'm still not sure I understand combat... or much of anything really.

Is the combat really reducible to just dodge and punish by mashing attack? Is health impossible to recover? Should the gun basically never be used? Is this writing horrible intentionally or unintentionally? Why does the sidekick girl exist? Is there a way I can go back and just mess around with combat to get the hang of it?

I'm so confused.

Beat the first 4 episodes. Loving the game so far. Happy to see I'm falling on the side of those that enjoy the game. I thought Suda might finally disappoint me. That crazy bastard as done it again.

dubq

Gigolo mode was way over stated in all of the previews and internet-outrage critiques I've read for this game. THAT WHITE SCREEN WITH SUBTITLES ON IT MEANS YOU HAD SEX! SO OFFENSIVE! /mattlees

As for the game itself.. I don't see what's so horrible about it, based on the reviews.. I'm having some fun with the combat so far and that counts for a lot, IMO.

Coconut

Banned
The thing that made me cancel my preorder was the gigolo missions. Can a person who has played this game and was also weirded out by that tell me how bad they actually are?

Got the game and on chapter 4. So far I am loving it like every other Suda game. It's style is beautiful, as it reeks of Killer7. The game is one of the weirdest games I have ever played....just what I needed. One of the most styalistic games along side El Shaddai.

The combat reminds me of No More Heroes/Lolipop Chainsaw.

Did a Giggalo mission and don't see what the big deal is. I can't believe people were making such a big fuss over it lol. Reminds me of Yakuzas Hostess mini games.

Ridley327

The thing that made me cancel my preorder was the gigolo missions. Can a person who has played this game and was also weirded out by that tell me how bad they actually are?

They're honestly pretty boring to play. You'd think from all the press they got from various sites that they were some ultra racy stuff, but there's hardly anything even remotely offensive about them outside of the premise. That being said, they did a great job with the character models for the girls, and Mondo's goofy animations are fun to watch.

They're more silly than anything. I've actually seen/heard worse on network tv. I remember reading something along the lines of "these actions had no negative consequences" or some such jazz, but that's not true. You can be a creep, stare, get slapped and fail the mission. That or you can attempt to make googoo eyes at her and shower her with gifts to win her affections.

Oh, and they're optional.

dubq

It's pretty pathetic how much of an outrage this mode caused. They're not even as close to being as outrageous as guys like Matt Lees would have you believe.

Ridley327

What's the score like? Hearing the plot is like K7 kind of has me hoping Yamaoka channeled some Masafumi Takada.

It's quite eclectic, as one would hope it would be. There's one song on the soundtrack that sounds like Sweet Blue Flag and Pleather for Breakfast had a kid.

TGMIII

What's the score like? Hearing the plot is like K7 kind of has me hoping Yamaoka channeled some Masafumi Takada.

It's all over the place. You've got some lounge, jazz, metal, electro and even some traces of trip-hop in there.

I actually just finished my Hard playthrough and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Combat isn't in-depth enough to spend hours exploring the mechanics but at the same time it's not simple enough where you'll get bored too quickly, once it comes together combat flows really well. Would have liked to see more meaningful upgrades and sub-weapons. I found the freeze weapon to be fairly useless since I want enemies to be attacking me anyway.

Also thought the "outrage" with the gigolo missions was overblown. It's borderline creepy but it treads the line due to it being delivered in an over-the-top manner. Could have done without it just due to the fact that it was boring.

Astarte

They're not bad at all, really. They're absolutely hilarious in how over the top things get for absolutely no reason, case in point that Japanese girl. Oh god the way Mondo opens the sliding doors

I don't get it why people see gigolo missions as offensive or wrong? There is nothing wrong with it, you can't help that Mondo does only two things in his life, he kills and he fu***. It fits the game, it fits the guy and it's funny.

Persona7, thanks a lot for the OT, finally a place to talk about the game :)

cj_iwakura

I'm relieved at the good impressions. I'll probably pick it up next week, already bought enough this week.

I knew the gigolo stuff was blown out of proportion, I trust XSeed's staff more than reviewers.

Persona7

Banned
I don't get it why people see gigolo missions as offensive or wrong? There is nothing wrong with it, you can't help that Mondo does only two things in his life, he kills and he fu***. It fits the game, it fits the guy and it's funny.

Persona7, thanks a lot for the OT, finally a place to talk about the game :)

No problem. I didn't want this game to just fade away into the depths of GAF. If I would have known the OT was up in the air I would have made it a lot sooner. I didn't even know until the day before yesterday.

I'm glad to see people saying it's on an upward slope. I was hoping it would be. I can't play any tonight but there's a 3 day weekend coming up so I'll just knock it out then. Hopefully I enjoy it more. First impressions were a little sour.

Dereck

Game of the year, I'm only 25 minutes in, Game of the year

I need games like this in my life, nonsensical off-kilter anime hack n' slash outlandish art design absurd character design with Japanese voices.

TGMIII

I'm relieved at the good impressions. I'll probably pick it up next week, already bought enough this week. .

The style carries it more than anything, as is usually the case with anything grasshopper puts out. The combat is serviceable enough but only just, there's so much room for potential with this system and they just let it go.

Opinions and everything but some people are acting like it's the worst shit ever, which it isn't, and some are acting like it's the best thing ever, which again I don't think it is. It's a fairly competent action game with a lot of missed potential that's carried a long way on its style but it at least brings something new in some form and that kept it interesting.

Coconut

Banned
So my next question is how positively represented are the female characters?

And what do the gigolo missions do for the story and/or gameplay? Like is it necessary?

Just finished up the bonus mission and it was pretty well done but what impressed me the most is that after I wrapped it up, 2 more missions unlocked. Had no idea. Thought the DLC was just one story mission and some aesthetic stuff.

Is anyone else having issues with black crush in this game being atrocious?

Bugged me for the first few stages. It's a filter.

So my next question is how positively represented are the female characters?

And what do the gigolo missions do for the story and/or gameplay? Like is it necessary?

They aren't represented in a super positive light, but there's nothing I'd consider particularly offensive or negative, either. The game doesn't really rely on seriousness on any level so it's tough to say. You might see it differently, though. Seeing the gigolo mission stuff struck me as weird but I shrugged it off, it didn't bother me anywhere near enough to drop my preorder. If it helps they're done in a really silly and tongue in cheek way. You're obviously supposed to be laughing at them. Anyways, I will say that if this game was trying to be super serious a lot of the female characters would be pretty weird and out of place. But so would the male ones. My advice is to take all that for what it is if you plan on playing.

Gigolo missions are unnecessary for story, but you do get sub weapons from them which are pretty damn cool. You'll probably want to do them at some point to add a little spice to the gameplay.

Take all this with a grain of salt, though. I'm only a few missions in.

For those interested in the extent of gigolo mode here are a couple post game gigolo (kinda) spoilers...

After you beat the game and meet certain requirements, you unlock the ability to buy risqué bra and panties to give the girl. Evidently used in conjunction with the Scarlett glasses, which I think are unlocked well into post game play.

For those interested in the extent of gigolo mode here are a couple post game gigolo (kinda) spoilers...

After you beat the game and meet certain requirements, you unlock the ability to buy risqué bra and panties to give the girl. Evidently used in conjunction with the Scarlett glasses, which I think are unlocked well into post game play.

How do I unlock them? Please don't tell me I have to get AAA rank in side missions :D

BTW: The "Episode 51" should be played between mission 6 and 7.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The style carries it more than anything, as is usually the case with anything grasshopper puts out. The combat is serviceable enough but only just, there's so much room for potential with this system and they just let it go.

Opinions and everything but some people are acting like it's the worst shit ever, which it isn't, and some are acting like it's the best thing ever, which again I don't think it is. It's a fairly competent action game with a lot of missed potential that's carried a long way on its style but it at least brings something new in some form and that kept it interesting.

Id say its not the worst shit ever, considering putting it up into comparison with the other grasshopper titles, but its sure as hell not worth the price of admission one had to pay here in Japan.

If anything I wouldnt pay more than 40 for the title. Had already sold mine back for roughly around 35 US here.

Really wished that they would have ramped the enemy count up a lot more. As there are times when it just feels a bit empty, when they could have made it awesome non stop action. As others mentioned which would make good use of the decent combat mechanics the game has.

How do I unlock them? Please don't tell me I have to get AAA rank in side missions :D

BTW: The "Episode 51" should be played between mission 6 and 7.

I remember reading something in the ingame menus. Don't quote me on this but it might be in the Scarlett mission stuff.

I started playing through the game with no voice overs. Even weirder. o_O

Edit:

Agreed Parakeetman, I wanted the screen filled with enemies. I think the most is like, 7 maybe 8 enemies on screen at once? But yeah, could've used a few more fights. Walked through a few empty areas that were perfect for combat.

Top Bottom