• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER IS DEAD |OT| LOVE AND KILL

Just finished it, that was underwhelming.

Any plans for DLC beyond episode 51,or where they hoping to make a sequel? Cause as it stands, the story and characters are crazily underdeveloped.

Just finished it, that was underwhelming.

Any plans for DLC beyond episode 51,or where they hoping to make a sequel? Cause as it stands, the story and characters are crazily underdeveloped.

Not too sure about extra DLC, but the tips of the hat and hints throughout the story are pretty satisfying on a second playthrough.

Want to get a capture card or something so I can screencap the bumpers of the episodes. All that text. :/

Not too sure about extra DLC, but the tips of the hat and hints throughout the story are pretty satisfying on a second playthrough.

Want to get a capture card or something so I can screencap the bumpers of the episodes. All that text. :/

I'll give it a shot, but boy was I hoping for more characterization.

In a Suda game? :D
Yeah, rather than the nothing we received here.
Moon River

EDIT: Got a little under ten hours out of the game though, enjoyed the gameplay during the episodes, hated most of the side missions I played. Not worth full price unless you really want the artbook. Forty seems like a reasonable entry price.

Yeah, rather than the nothing we received here.
Moon River

EDIT: Got a little under ten hours out of the game though, enjoyed the gameplay during the episodes, hated most of the side missions I played. Not worth full price unless you really want the artbook. Forty seems like a reasonable entry price.

Yeah, I know what you mean but Killer7 and No more heroes were similar to Killer is dead, in terms of characterization, level design and craziness at least.

Yeah, I know what you mean but Killer7 and No more heroes were similar to Killer is dead, in terms of characterization, level design and craziness at least.

I unfortunately haven't played Killer7, but Travis Touchdown has way more to his character (even if it's just being a shitbag) than Mondo, who's just a wet blanket that likes soft-boiled eggs.

Forgot to mention it earlier though, as anime( as some reviewers would put it) as the final boss battle is, it was pretty badass. Also Tommy.

cj_iwakura

I unfortunately haven't played Killer7, but Travis Touchdown has way more to his character (even if it's just being a shitbag) than Mondo, who's just a wet blanket that likes soft-boiled eggs.

Forgot to mention it earlier though, as anime( as some reviewers would put it) as the final boss battle is, it was pretty badass. Also Tommy.

If you like this, you REALLY should play Killer7. Gamecube version if at all possible.

It's deservedly considered Suda's best work.

I think this will sell you on it.

Finished.
The last boss fight was great.
I'm not sure about the story though lol. I have to play it again because I didn't get the ending ...I have no clue what was going on...mabye because I'm drunk but...nah :p
I really like this game.

Suda-rank:

1. Killer7
2. Killer is dead
3. No more heroes

edit:

Playtime: 15:17:31 (did some side missions and gigolo missions)
Deaths: 25
Women: 15
Money spent: 6.018.960 (oh my ^^)

Holy shit...I unlocked four costumes...one of them: 100.000.000...

smh2jl5l-1.gif

BTW: (Mission 10 spoilers):
Does anyone else thinks that Tommy is also a reference to "blaine the mono" from the dark tower series?

smh2jl5l-1.gif

Yeah, the price of that one... :(
But Ulti Mondo looks so damn cool, totally worth it. AND he does double damage but your stage earnings are drastically cut. Also just unlocked a witch costume for Scarlett thats 25 mil.

Edit:

The costume
doesn't do anything, it's just david basically

Well, I'll be sure to not save for that one. Anyone purchase
the wire arm?

TGMIII

BTW: (Mission 10 spoilers):
Does anyone else thinks that Tommy is also a reference to "blaine the mono" from the dark tower series?

The costume
doesn't do anything, it's just david basically

Astarte

Beat the game, pieced together things and understood everything perfectly!

Perfectly except three things.

What was the unicorn? Mika's the ruler of the sun...yeah okay? How did Brian and Vivienne brainwash Mondo and David with false memories? Seeing as they're both not of Earth and godlike figures (judging from the final fight), I don't understand. Maybe they were teenagers, iunno.

Gun Animal

Just finished chapter two and I already feel like this is gonna be my game of the year. Y'all were getting me worried! That intro and tutorial sequence alone was worth the price of admission. Had goose bumps the whole time.

Persona7

Banned
Weird how the frame tearing is bad at the start of the game but it progressively gets better. I am not at the end yet though so maybe it starts happening again.

If you like this, you REALLY should play Killer7. Gamecube version if at all possible.

It's deservedly considered Suda's best work.

I think this will sell you on it.

With my paycheck coming Thursday and fifteen dollars in amazon credit, I'm finally gonna pick it up.

So I started playing Deadpool so I could give it back to my friend, playing that game just highlights how solid Killer is Dead combat system is. It may be rather simple and shallow, but at least it makes sense, unlike Deadpool's, which feels like High Moon Studios designed the areas and enemies like they would for a third person shooter and placed them in a character-action game.

Also,
I think the implication was that he was banging Mika. But there relationship was more of a brother/sister/mother caring kind.

Yuterald

Finished last night on Hard. While I enjoyed it more than Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw, I'm kind of left with mixed feelings about the entire game. I certainly did not like it more than Killer7 or the original No More Heroes, but it triggered enough of the right signals in my brain, so I'm cool with it. Here's my quick summary/final impression on the game, I guess:

PROS:
-Quirky, cool, sometimes hilariously motion captured/directed scenes, for example...
The scene where David breaks through the door in Mondo's dream and cuts the egg in half was particularly funny feeling/looking, almost Deadly Premonition-like
-Combat felt the most refined (as janky as it still may be) out of all the Grasshopper games I've played. The game sort of does have the Lollipop Chainsaw-effect where combat becomes more fun when you unlock more skills/moves. Dashing around, pulling off Just Guards and Final Judgments can feel very satisfying when you've unlocked the limiter on your blade. In my opinion, the dash in this game puts it above all other Grasshopper action-game systems.
-OST is more or less good with a few standout tracks (I especially like the final piece at the end of the credits). Yamaoka and crew did a pretty good job here. Nothing Silent Hill-era mind blowing, but overall a solid performance.
-A decent amount of content and tons of unlockables. PS2-era values proud and present here. Costumes with different parameters, unlockable sub-weapons and difficulties, sub-missions and challenge rooms galore, etc. Game's got a nice structure too, you can freely play the game on any difficulty and keep your character progress/unlocks in tact.

CONS:
-Performance is all over the place. (PS3 version here) Frame tearing out of its butt-hole too. UNGODLY in some areas, completely absent in others. The game just has that typical Unreal Engine feel when playing on a console, only it's combined with Grasshopper's innate ability to produce janky games. One's tolerance of this shall vary, lol!
-Enemy design is just a tad bit out of control. When enemies flash when telegraphing their attacks, it becomes quite difficult to notice their animations when their bodies are glowing neon purple/green/yellow. A toned down, more reserved enemy design approach would have done wonders for the game.
-Enemy variety is a bit lacking, as expected. Game's got the usual grunt types; ranged types, shielded types, etc. Coolest enemies were probably the Samurai dudes, but again, they were so wildly modeled that it was tough to tell when they would start attacking.
-Bosses were decent, some better than others, more or less felt in line with Lollipop Chainsaw's lineup (my favorite's still in Episode 6). I swear, Suda51/Grasshopper will NEVER top the lineup of assassins from the first No More Heroes.

Something I would have personally liked to have seen, the direction I would have taken:

I think the Musselback had HUGE potential. The most fascinating thing about Mondo's character was his bionic arm. His bionic arm apparently has 99 secret functions (which was only told through a loading tip-screen...dumb). I think the game and combat system should have focused more on his arm. There should have been literally 99 ways to use the arm in the game. Sure, they have brain-dead events scattered throughout the game where you use his arm to decode/unlock doors, break walls, etc., but that should have been emphasized from the very beginning. I would have even had an in-game list where it would display and break down the functions through combat/puzzle use. Each discovery of the arm's functions would be hidden at first, but as you experimented with the arm, both in combat and in the game's episodes/scenarios, you would slowly reveal all of its features. Would have been a cool bestiary of sorts and meta-game-like in nature.

Arklite

Here's my quick summary/final impression on the game, I guess:

Nice summary. The enemy strobe lights are definitely hard to read. Personally can't say I'd change the stupid horror light show. Definitely wish the tearing was gone though, the art deserves a smooth image.

so far so good, although after i beat the first boss (the alice thing) i went directly to episode 51, not knowing if that was the next level or optional or what.

handed my ass to me. had to restart at the (oh so poorly placed) checkpoints over and over and ended up using all my revival tickets on the boss. was that not the second level?

anyway, i did a few gigolo missions and got some upgrades, and i'll play a little more later. hopefully there's DLC missions in the works, but after Lollipop Chainsaw not having any, i won't get my hopes up.

dubq

so far so good, although after i beat the first boss (the alice thing) i went directly to episode 51, not knowing if that was the next level or optional or what.

handed my ass to me. had to restart at the (oh so poorly placed) checkpoints over and over and ended up using all my revival tickets on the boss. was that not the second level?

anyway, i did a few gigolo missions and got some upgrades, and i'll play a little more later. hopefully there's DLC missions in the works, but after Lollipop Chainsaw not having any, i won't get my hopes up.
Episode 2 would be the second level.

LordJim

Both David fights are great, but the first one set expectations a bit high.
Only other boss fight that really came close IMO was the yakuza boss.
Harder difficulties should have somehow made the counter window tighter.

Tain

Still yet to play this game, but how's the combat is it on the same level as No More Heroes?

It's far, far better than No More Heroes and Lollipop Chainsaw. Then again, I'm really surprised that some people put the combat in No More Heroes above Lollipop Chainsaw's in the first place.

Nice summary. The enemy strobe lights are definitely hard to read. Personally can't say I'd change the stupid horror light show. Definitely wish the tearing was gone though, the art deserves a smooth image.

If the game had zero tearing and ran at 60 fps, I think it would rank with my favorite games of all time, but right now, it'll have to be my favorite of the Grasshopper bunch. ;) Killer 7 still has the most whack story but the core gameplay in KID is so responsive, stylish and satisfying. Can't get enough!

I started my hard playthrough and I think I'm just going to jump into very hard. Played a stage or two on it, and plain old hard just isn't cutting it. Played Episode 7 on very hard and really love how it strong arms you into keeping that combo meter high against armored beasts to do any real damage.

Started playing, seemed to be somewhat tame for a Suda game.

Then the Alice mission happened.

Loving it so far. Gameplay is pretty fun and these visuals are just wow. Now I just need to start trying to make sense of the plot and dialogues.

It's far, far better than No More Heroes and Lollipop Chainsaw. Then again, I'm really surprised that some people put the combat in No More Heroes above Lollipop Chainsaw's in the first place.
Who the hell does that? lol

Andrew.

Banned
Bear with me guys as Ive just come off a brief ban so I was able to soak in as much as I can from the game while observing everyone elses reactions on here.

This is easily in my top five of the year so far. Ive always been a huge Suda fan (K7 being in my top ten of all time) and this game delivers for me on so many levels. Sure the story is messy, but I find the episodes to be more like brief windows into the world, and the characters within the Bryan Firm.

You don’t really get to know Mondo, nor do you really need to. Sometimes it’s more fun to just sit back, observe and soak in. These are the type of experiences Suda is known for. If a Suda51 game has a sharp, cohesive narrative then it wouldn’t really be a Suda51 game.The polarization of his titles shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone anymore. It should simply come down to “If youre a fan of Grasshopper games, then you will enjoy it.” Period.

The game is like a culmination of various aspects and ideas from each console title Suda has been a part of this generation. Pieces of NMH 1 & 2, LC and Shadows are rampant throughout. The art style alone is obviously comparable to an amped up Killer7.

Yamaokas soundtrack, or at least his directorial abilities, is distractingly excellent (and for fucks sake it has barely been mentioned by anyone), changing its style and genre seemingly in what feels like every shot (even thought its basically every scene). I found myself trying to pay more attention to the music being played than the character dialogue. That doesn’t happen too often with me. You never know what to expect musically and its never disappointing (jumping from electronica to dark hip hop beats to smooth jazz and then to hard rock) He easily outdid himself and I find it personally to be his best work and one of my favorite OSTs this year, possibly this gen

Everyone made such a fuss about the “misogynistic” qualities of gigolo mode and yet, it’s actually in fact a rather unique, humorous and original mini game. It reminded me of some bizarre combination of Leisure Suit Larry and Catherine and it actually requires some skill if you want to obtain the weapon upgrades. X Ray glasses actually help a ton because you’re able to see what gift the woman prefers in order to make the mini game progress more quickly and smoothly. Otherwise you’re basically playing a guessing game with what item to gift each particular female. Trial and error but its cool and worth it in the long run.

Screen tearing exists but I only really noticed it in the first mission. It was definitely apparent but wasn’t detrimental. It really only occurs in tight spaces and is basically non existent everywhere else (PS3 version)

Episode 51 can easily be completed after Episode 3, or whenever it becomes immediately available. It’s a perfect early and easy way to grind out XP crystals and cash.

*A color manual! Holy shit!*

*Skippable cutscenes!* You can even skip all the company logo bullshit when it initially boots up!

Past Suda Game Connections & Similarities:

-Mika makes a comment in a very early cutscene that is an exact line Juliet says in LC. Same tone and all.

-Enemy designs are very similar in looks to the enemies in SOTD. Some enemy attacks are actually directly identical. (Spikey roll charge guy)

-Diamonds = Health -> Diamonds are upgrade currency and XP in SOTD. The graphic model is exactly the same, just a different color with some shading and depth differences.

-Dodge burst is the same as the Dark Step method in NMH. Same controls to pull it off. Same flurry of attacks afterwards, just 10x faster. Just as fun and as satisfying as youd expect.

-Shots of the moon throughout. Colored moons were seen thoughout the loading times of Killer7

-BLOOD makes another appearance as a tool for special moves (like in K7). Also all the letters for the word “blood” in-game are in caps just like they were in K7

-After successfully gifting a lady in Gigolo Mode, you hear Garcia Hotspurs “Magnifico!”

-Sword animations are very similar to Travis’ in NMH. The switch to gun animation looks, feels and sounds the same from SOTD. Aiming feels fluid and mirrors the feel of aiming the Johnson or Chainsaw Blaster.

-Mission selection screen is akin to NMH2, with mini games and sidequests, even with “Bug Hunt” which was an actual mini game in NMH2

-Vivienne = Sylvia(?) (NMH)

-Executions are like those single wiimote/move swipes to finish baddies in NMH, except this time a different execution is mapped to the ABXY buttons. Also like in NMH, this only occurs after stringing together a lengthy combo.

-When you first obtain the Musselback, the candle lights you have to shoot in order to leave the room are reminiscent of the goat lights in SOTD only this time theyre deer heads.

More to come. I just finished on Hard with everything maxed out except the Musselback weapons and my BLOOD. Still picking up pieces of my brain and putting things together in regards to the story.Playing on Very Hard for now and finishing up all my Scarlett searches and challenges. Easily in my top five this year. Easily.

Oh and as awesome as the overall package as the LE is, the soundtrack is pretty disappointing to me. It contains close to zero of the tracks that play during cutscenes, nor does it contain the best episode music of the game (Episode 8 & 10). At least it contains this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRhcHifOkfc

The WiI Remote actually adds to the fun of NMH and it's missed in this game. Of course the system is refined since then, but it will always been missing that feature. I haven't played LC but when I can drop 20 bucks on it, I will.

The soundtrack (Yamaoka= god) is great. Episode 6
The man who stole her ears
is so good.
It really is a typical suda game. Not like "Lollipop" or "Shadows" but more like "No more heroes" mixed with "Killer7".

I want more lingerie for the girls though but I don't know how to unlock them

BTW: Did no one notice the references to Shadows of the damned? In "Shadows" you have to shoot the goats to light up a room. In "Killer is dead" you have to shoot the goats
in Episode 3
to blackout the room

Seeing all the positive response this game is getting is making me way too excited for my copy to get here! i was worried about it not being great because of all the reviews, but this thread has squashed any of my worries

So good and so glad I can join in on the party, at least with the few there is anyways like most 51 games.

Yeah! I've played this game today with my brother. He didn't know anything about it and he has never played a Suda51 game before (only watched someone playing No more heroes).

He loved it.

A stage or two away from purchasing
the wire arm.
At this point, I know what it does, I'm just hoping it looks cool. :D

I have 1.300.000 right now....I want it, too. :/
But the new lingerie was tempting...

I have 1.300.000 right now....I want it, too. :/
But the new lingerie was tempting...

Heh, yeah as soon as I beat it,
I played and played until I had enough money for Ulti-Mondo. Now after unlocking that, I'm up to 13 million and wondering if I should just buy the wire arm, or start saving the the ultra high end jazz.

Choices, choices...

Top Bottom