• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER IS DEAD |OT| LOVE AND KILL

A friend and I went through the game a few weeks ago and it's BLOODY AWESOME! Not Suda51's best but far from these overexaggerated reviews saying "this game is pure shite" when really, they just don't like Gigolo mode (and don't even understand it).
Yes you, Matt Lees.

Got the game and on chapter 4. So far I am loving it like every other Suda game. It's style is beautiful, as it reeks of Killer7. The game is one of the weirdest games I have ever played....just what I needed. One of the most styalistic games along side El Shaddai.

The combat reminds me of No More Heroes/Lolipop Chainsaw.

Did a Giggalo mission and don't see what the big deal is. I can't believe people were making such a big fuss over it lol. Reminds me of Yakuzas Hostess mini games.

At one point playing through this game, there were two females watching while a friend and I went through, neither were offended. So. It's a stupid point to even bring up. It's within the context of the game (you get power-ups from it), the girls in the game are made specifically for that scenario(as in, they serve no other purpose outside of the other females) and some people forget that this happens in real life. Men oogle and females enjoy it. It happens. But can't have that in our video games.

I remember reading something in the ingame menus. Don't quote me on this but it might be in the Scarlett mission stuff.

I started playing through the game with no voice overs. Even weirder. o_O

Edit:

Agreed Parakeetman, I wanted the screen filled with enemies. I think the most is like, 7 maybe 8 enemies on screen at once? But yeah, could've used a few more fights. Walked through a few empty areas that were perfect for combat.

uuh I did five Scarlet missions but they're hard...really hard. :/

-GJ-

How long is this?

I played on Normal, did not rush the game and completed it in 5 hours and 22 minutes. This includes all 12 episodes + the bonus DLC episode, 3 Giggolo missions and two or three of the (I believe 44) challenges.

I died maybe 3 or 4 times in the entire game, since sadly it's really easy. Even on Hard when I replayed a couple of the levels, it's rather simple to beat them.

Although the game is rather short, the replay value is kinda high, depending on if you like to replay these kind of games. After you've completed the game you unlock the Very Hard difficulty and you can unlock new costumes etc.

edit: The challenges are way harder than the actual episodes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So going by the PSN download of ~1.5MB for the DLC pack, I'm guessing it's all on the disk :p.

Dereck

Is blocking when an enemy hits you, "parrying"? Because I've been doing that all of the time and he kicks the guy in the shin, is that the parry?

Yuterald

Is blocking when an enemy hits you, "parrying"? Because I've been doing that all of the time and he kicks the guy in the shin, is that the parry?

Yeah, that's a Just Guard (parry). I also believe the parry animation is dependent on your character direction or analog stick input, but I'm not 100% certain of that, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Save up for the Smash skill (it's the 300 Gem one) and you can follow up with a ground pound after a Just Guard which launches enemies in the air. Feels good.

EDIT: Btw, anyone know what the Gentleman's bonus/payment is during the results screen? I almost always get $0 in that category.

Ryne

I've read that the screen tearing on the 360 is unbearable, is it the same way for the PS3? Finally have enough money to buy the game, just wondering which version to get.

Yeah, that's a Just Guard (parry). I also believe the parry animation is dependent on your character direction or analog stick input, but I'm not 100% certain of that, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Save up for the Smash skill (it's the 300 Gem one) and you can follow up with a ground pound after a Just Guard which launches enemies in the air. Feels good.

EDIT: Btw, anyone know what the Gentleman's bonus/payment is during the results screen? I almost always get $0 in that category.

don't take any damage

Yep...have fun :D

I've read that the screen tearing on the 360 is unbearable, is it the same way for the PS3? Finally have enough money to buy the game, just wondering which version to get.

There's lots of screen tearing on the Ps3 but it is the only technical issue.

I'm really liking what I've played so far, only on episode 8. It does make me miss zandatsu though.
(I just want to cut everything)

george_us

For all the controversy surrounding the Gigolo missions, they're far tamer than I expected them to be. They're pretty fucking hilarious actually.

Tohsaka

Having played both, I'd say it's equally as bad on both systems. Oddly enough it seems to lessen the further you get into the game.

Mononoke

Banned
Going to wait for this to go on sale if it's really that short. I always kind of regretted buying Lollipop Chainsaw at full price. I'm not the kind of person that enjoys getting all the extra stuff, and doing the bonus time trial/combo modes. I know, I'm weird like that. A big part of that genre is doing that. But I usually only enjoy the story mode.

Enjay

Banned
A friend and I went through the game a few weeks ago and it's BLOODY AWESOME! Not Suda51's best but far from these overexaggerated reviews saying "this game is pure shite" when really, they just don't like Gigolo mode (and don't even understand it).
Yes you, Matt Lees.

At one point playing through this game, there were two females watching while a friend and I went through, neither were offended. So. It's a stupid point to even bring up. It's within the context of the game (you get power-ups from it), the girls in the game are made specifically for that scenario(as in, they serve no other purpose outside of the other females) and some people forget that this happens in real life. Men oogle and females enjoy it. It happens. But can't have that in our video games.
The timing is unfortunate since now reviewers are going into white knight mode attempting to protect the integrity of the business or whatever now that this whole feminism issue has been blown up.

Unlocked new lingerie for one of the girls

rAunX.gif

Domstercool

So I finished he game and rather enjoyed it. I stuck up my opinion on it on the site I slap stuff on. If you know me, I like to write up about games I've finished as a hobby. ;)

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/killer-is-dead-xbox-360/

If you have read through the review, then this game will sound very Suda 51-esque. Whether it’s by design choice or maybe his team really is incapable of producing fantastic gameplay to go with these eccentric and peculiar worlds is something I guess we will never know. Killer Is Dead is a fun title that hits the Japanese quirkiness that we occasionally expect from the land of the rising sun. It’s not mechanically deep or rewarding to be a classic, but Killer Is Dead remains a solid piece of entertainment that Grasshopper fans will enjoy, while the rest of the world looks in bemusement as to why someone would like this.

Quantum

I don't get.

I've tried - pre ordered and sat down with it for a few hours today.

I love the visuals, but either I completely dont understand the combat or I've just hit senility.

I've gotten to the first 'boss' twice - taken out all hp without being hit and can't activate the finishing move.

hit r1... umm ok.. nothing.

literally figured - I've missed something so let me start again from point zero.

wtf?

TGMIII

I don't get.

I've tried - pre ordered and sat down with it for a few hours today.

I love the visuals, but either I completely dont understand the combat or I've just hit senility.

I've gotten to the first 'boss' twice - taken out all hp without being hit and can't activate the finishing move.

hit r1... umm ok.. nothing.

literally figured - I've missed something so let me start again from point zero.

wtf?

You need a small amount of blood to actually execute the move. If you don't have enough just hit him a few times to gain some back and then you hold R1 then attack.

Quantum

You need a small amount of blood to actually execute the move. If you don't have enough just hit him a few times to gain some back and then you hold R1 then attack.

thanks, am I not getting blood by attacking it? I can wipe the health bar without being touched but then when I hit r1 (when the graphic appears over its body) the screen goes all comic book and nothing happens.

I'll try again at some future point, but after the 40 minutes of theatrics to get to that point its just plain frustrating that it wasn't beta tested out.

(I'm probably doing something wrong and I'm sure its my fault - but seriously - you idiot proof the first thirty minutes and for some reason this battle wont end - pure frustration)

Was playing this last night with my wife watching. Played the first Gigolo Mission expecting to feel a little embarrassed but we were both just laughing at how it unfolded.

thanks, am I not getting blood by attacking it? I can wipe the health bar without being touched but then when I hit r1 (when the graphic appears over its body) the screen goes all comic book and nothing happens.

I'll try again at some future point, but after the 40 minutes of theatrics to get to that point its just plain frustrating that it wasn't beta tested out.

(I'm probably doing something wrong and I'm sure its my fault - but seriously - you idiot proof the first thirty minutes and for some reason this battle wont end - pure frustration)

Did you kill the bugs? I'm pretty sure you get "blood" from them

Did anyone else realize you
play as David in the beginning of the game?

I really wish Suda spent more time working on the narrative.

Quantum

Did you kill the bugs? I'm pretty sure you get "blood" from them

I'm gonna go back to it later - I'm polishing up sr4 and enjoying castlevania on steam right now - was just really frustrated that I couldn't figure it out and will come back to it because I really like the visual style.

Persona7

Banned
That sound effect during the mission screen...why does it sound so familiar?

EDIT : I think that same sound or a very similar one is in Deadly Premonition

Gbraga

Yes you, Matt Lees.

Hey, you finally got in!! Welcome, nice to know you're a Suda fan, plan on doing any KID videos?

Yuterald

Who's the composer for this game? Is it Yamaoka again? Some of the shit in this game sounds like his style, other tracks don't. One track in particular during one (or two?) encounters during Episode 6 was amazing.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the wiki and Yama's one of the composers, along with some other dudes. Interesting.

Just realized that when you finish sub missions that require you find items,
some of those items appear in the office! Just noticed some bottles of vampire wine and the evil headphones.

Top Bottom