• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER IS DEAD |OT| LOVE AND KILL

I have to say, I'm loving the soundtrack so far. Very understated and skin crawly.

I'm not that far in, but this is definitely the GHM game I've been wanting since NMH1.

Finally got my last AAA rank, even though it wasn't too hard, still feels good to have them all ;) Now time to finish the game on VH and save up some money for LE costume, whatever I make I spent on new lingerie for my girls lol Time to get something for myself now :D

what did you think of NMH2?

Oh God. Don't get me started!

Absolutely hated it. It killed everything I loved about the first one and generally felt like a cheap imitation.

There's a lot I love about it, like the music was great, although fairly predicable. Takada's absence really hurt GHM in my opinion, as his music was in perfect unison with Suda's style. The ending and Paris Texas inspired scenes were well done and the graphics looked good...but ultimately it was a failure.

It was a devolution of the intellectual, the spirit and overall experience. For me, Punx died with that game. Sorry if I'm coming off as fanboyish or hyperbolic, but NMH1 is very special to me. It's probably my favourite game ever and the sequel could of been something special.

Anyway, must play more of KiD!

Dereck

So how do we all feel this stacks up with other "CUHRAYZEE" action games? I'm gonna put it at something like:

1)God Hand
3)Metal Gear Rising
3)Devil May Cry 3
4)Killer is Dead
5)Bayonetta

I'd probably put Killer is Dead at number 2 if there were a PC version because there really is a lot of depth and satisfaction to it, but the incredible amount of screen tearing knocked it down a peg for me. Opinions?
To me Ninja Gaiden is too different to compare to the rest of the list.

EDIT: Ignore that comment, but yeah I guess that list is not too far off.

Gbraga

I have to say, I'm loving the soundtrack so far. Very understated and skin crawly.

I'm not that far in, but this is definitely the GHM game I've been wanting since NMH1.

Yes, the soundtrack is pretty underrated in this game, loving at as well.

The job... KILLER IS DEAD

Gun Animal

Absolutely hated it. It killed everything I loved about the first one and generally felt like a cheap imitation.

There's a lot I love about it, like the music was great, although fairly predicable. Takada's absence really hurt GHM in my opinion, as his music was in perfect unison with Suda's style. The ending and Paris Texas inspired scenes were well done and the graphics looked good...but ultimately it was a failure.

It was a devolution of the intellectual, the spirit and overall experience. For me, Punx died with that game. Sorry if I'm coming off as fanboyish or hyperbolic, but NMH1 is very special to me. It's probably my favourite game ever and the sequel could of been something special.

That's interesting. I remember loving it when I played it, especially the retro minigames and the exclusion of an overworld. Although, I don't remember the story or dialogue or cutscenes in NMH2 at all, which is probably a bad sign. Guess it's about time to replay all four 'Assassin' games, huh? I definitely didn't like the change of art style in NMH2; where NMH1 had pure black cell shading on flat textures, NMH2 had a much less extreme soft shading thing going on.

Speaking of which, who else thought KiD's art style could have been significantly improved by eliminating the lightest shade in every character's skin palette? A lot of characters end up looking way too shiny and plasticy because of it, but maybe that's a stylistic choice. I realize this is a very nit-picky complaint.

That's interesting. I remember loving it when I played it, especially the retro minigames and the exclusion of an overworld. Although, I don't remember the story or dialogue or cutscenes in NMH2 at all, which is probably a bad sign. Guess it's about time to replay all four 'Assassin' games, huh? I definitely didn't like the change of art style in NMH2; where NMH1 had pure black cell shading on flat textures, NMH2 had a much less extreme soft shading thing going on.

I love NMH2. It was the perfect companion to the original as far as I'm concerned. I liked that it had a more chill style to the cut-scenes. There is a wonderful dichotomy between them. The combat system was also vastly improved. It's probably the unpopular opinion but I like it more than NMH.

Killer is Dead is on the same level as them though. I love the Wii remote controls, but it's hard to deny how much better the combat is in KiD. The story isn't quite as interesting, but the game easily beats NMH in visuals.

Andrew.

Banned
Going on my 4th run (hard) for cash, rec'ing 20 gifts from the ladies, and giving 50.

I don't mind whatsoever. This game is a-maz-ing.

Also, it sucks that the end credits can't be seen again after you beat it once. I rather liked the song played at the end. Suda always knows how to nail end credit music to his games. Killer7 and Shadows each had some standout hard rockin tracks. KiD now stands alongside.

Never heard of this dude, but this Rev3 vid is pretty awesome, or at least everything up until the huge plug for Gamefly. Great references to Sudas pop culture influences. Today I learned Mondo is the name of the lead character in "Flower, Sun and Rain."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jO8LJT1NLI

You absolutely hated it? I definitely favoured the minigames over NMH1's (with the exception of bug collecting). The 8-Bit idea was fucking genius. The removal of the Hub world was pretty lame though. I never beat it yet, but yeah I feel like NMH1 plays better as well.

Astarte

I can't really recall much of the game's bosses except REAPER REAPER THAT'S WHAT THEY ALL CALL ME and Pizza Butt Jr's window punching.
On top of that, Shinobu's level was pretty bad and the only playable level with Henry had him facing off against moe in a dream sequence. Not cool, man.

Andrew.

Banned
I prefer NMH1 over the sequel simply because of that 90s visual aesthetic it bleeds out. That whole game feels like a 1994 MTV Liquid Television dream.

Ryne

What's the best way to recover health in this game? I had to revive twice during the moon mission, which obviously means I suck.

Andrew.

Banned
What's the best way to recover health in this game? I had to revive twice during the moon mission, which obviously means I suck.

Level up your healing in the upgrade section. Beauty is that this can be done at ANY TIME, as in right in the middle of a boss fight.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Got the game in the mail but then had to go to PAX. Going to play tonight or tomorrow via a recorded livestream. Any recommendations on how to make the most of the game?

Got the game in the mail but then had to go to PAX. Going to play tonight or tomorrow via a recorded livestream. Any recommendations on how to make the most of the game?

Give it time to sink in. I hated it at first, now I'm in love with it. No other Grasshopper game has this sharp of an upward incline, at least for me.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, her name's Dolly but I'm not quite grasping what she is.

Either a representation of fate or destiny, or what happens when you let bad memories overcome and take hold of you, affecting you as a person. Either way what I just mentioned is a central theme.

Yuterald

What's up with "AAA" ranking the very first mission in the game? The prologue one? I can't seem to get anything higher than A. It's not like there's anything to fight either. You just sort of walk towards a guy...am I missing something here? =/

Luigi87

Okay so definitely the best way to grind money in my opinion: Weight Limit sub-mission on Normal.

No cutscenes to skip, and if you can do it without getting hit, it takes about 01:15, and can net 900k per run (600k if you get hit)

What's up with "AAA" ranking the very first mission in the game? The prologue one? I can't seem to get anything higher than A. It's not like there's anything to fight either. You just sort of walk towards a guy...am I missing something here? =/

don't get hit by his bullets. You have to hide behind the dumpsters.

Okay so definitely the best way to grind money in my opinion: Weight Limit sub-mission on Normal.

No cutscenes to skip, and if you can do it without getting hit, it takes about 01:15, and can net 900k per run (600k if you get hit)

Yeah, that's a super quick one, fun and it pays well.

I asked in the spoiler thread and got no reply, so I'll ask here. Anyone get screen caps of the episode bumps? Each one has about 3 paragraphs of text, and most are completely different. Would love to read those. Tried taking pictures with my phone and, well, it was awful. ;D

Yeah that's one way to do it, but I personally like grinding money on Episode 11, can make from 1,75mil to 1.90mil in around 2 minutes on normal. There are some cutscenes to skip but it's not really a problem for me.

Volcynika

Yeah, that's a super quick one, fun and it pays well.

I asked in the spoiler thread and got no reply, so I'll ask here. Anyone get screen caps of the episode bumps? Each one has about 3 paragraphs of text, and most are completely different. Would love to read those. Tried taking pictures with my phone and, well, it was awful. ;D

I streamed the game some (http://www.twitch.tv/volcynika) so some of them are in my archives, but I don't have any capped. Didn't stream the entire set of story episodes though.

Luigi87

Yeah that's one way to do it, but I personally like grinding money on Episode 11, can make from 1,75mil to 1.90mil in around 2 minutes on normal. There are some cutscenes to skip but it's not really a problem for me.

How do you manage this?
I've read people mention this, but I can't figure out how to do it so efficiently.

How do you manage this?
I've read people mention this, but I can't figure out how to do it so efficiently.

It's actually pretty easy, just finish it fast and don't get hit much, even better if you not gonna get hit at all.

First phase is about keeping combo alive, blocking and dodging lasers. If you can't hit it with the sword, shoot it to keep the combo up, once clear to attack with the sword do so. That way you keep your combo up and therefore your speed and damage is on high level all the time.

Once second phase starts, don't move, just attack her with the sword and when she goes up block it and continue to do so until she teleports herself on the laser rings. Now shoot the rings and her in between to keep the combo up and after one set of rings she will drop and you'll finish her off.

Luigi87

It's actually pretty easy, just finish it fast and don't get hit much, even better if you not gonna get hit at all.

First phase is about keeping combo alive, blocking and dodging lasers. If you can't hit it with the sword, shoot it to keep the combo up, once clear to attack with the sword do so. That way you keep your combo up and therefore your speed and damage is on high level all the time.

Once second phase starts, don't move, just attack her with the sword and when she goes up block it and continue to do so until she teleports herself on the laser rings. Now shoot the rings and her in between to keep the combo up and after one set of rings she will drop and you'll finish her off.

Ah, alrighty -- thanks.
I actually did not realize shooting kept the combo alive.

I've been trying to tell these guys for the past few pages but damn, they won't listen!
I keed, I keed.
Once you get her patterns down, it's pretty easy. When she busts out a shield, I'll use the drill, tap to my gun, couple of bullets and the shield is gone. Back to slashing. On her second phase, if you keep your combo count high, she can go down on her first dizzy.

I streamed the game some (http://www.twitch.tv/volcynika) so some of them are in my archives, but I don't have any capped. Didn't stream the entire set of story episodes though.

I'll go through some in a bit and see what I can find. I appreciate the link, thanks!

Anyone find a way to get a "total time played" number or anything besides the initial run through?

Top Bottom