• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer7's 10th Anniversary (June 9th, 2005) - Don't Make Me Say It Again...

Rave On! Oh man that song brings back memories. Such a great piece of music and perfectly used. If you've not played the game and want to know it pays
In a tiny corridor you run through before every boss fight. Like in Mega Man. It's gets you so pumped
I used to pause it and just let it play.

Easily a top 10 game of all time for me. The depth, the symbolism, the insanity, the horror of it all mounting and building, piece by piece. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played, not because of jumps, but because of a feeling of slowly but surely slipping in to madness, like sinking in to a bath that's too hot you lower yourself piece by piece, thinking the water is getting cooler but really you've boiled yourself alive.

It plays like an on rails Resident Evil 4, which means it's gameplay is a little simple but also very satisfying. The on rails lets them get some really cinematic shots and the over the shoulder shoot outs keep an element of skill in the game play.

Just a classic. I could talk about this game for hours and hours.

Time to put down Splatoon and dust off the ps2.

Played it, finished but never quite understood it.

Wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay, but did like the look and a few lines "You're fucked!" Maybe I was just too young/immature when I played it.

NotLiquid

I made an LTTP of this game roughly two years ago. I remember it being one of my first ever GAF threads (I was a bit nervous at the time but I truly felt the need to express myself about the game) and I remember the context of being a huge Suda fan already after No More Heroes.

After making that thread, Killer7 became my favorite game of all time. We need more games like it, but the truth is I don't think anything will ever compare to the sheer level of genius that it is.

It was such a lucky get for me though - I ordered the game off of Amazon but no one who had the game shipped it to my country, except one person who only had an NTSC copy. If it wasn't for my girlfriend having an American Wii I would never be able to have played it. And I also got the superior box art because of it.

gooey

Neo Member
I got to the 3rd mission but couldn't find all the figurines (or something like that).
The game is pretty obtuse with it's puzzles.

Feel inspired to try it again. The style is second to none.

Looks pretty nice on wii u through Nintendont. You can force widescreen. There's some pop in on the sides as a result but overall it looks fine.

Capra

I played through the first level on the PS2 port with a friend roughly a week ago. It was definitely janky, but the way the visuals and the unique gameplay came together alongside the fantastic soundtrack absolutely enthralled me. Seeing this thread made me finally pull the trigger on a GameCube copy. It's time I finally played this game...

Might make an lttp if someone hasn't already when I get it.

BBboy20

Definitely my favourite thing Suda or Grasshopper in general has done. Nothing's been able to replicate its uniquely surreal presentation, atmosphere or narrative; going through it with only the vaguest idea of what to expect was a great experience.
It's remarkable just how much this game stays with you. I don't think I've played it since 2005, and I could probably do a playthrough in my head. There are just so many indelible moments in the game.
I only tried playing like 2 years ago or so but never got around playing more but jesus, it didn't seem like the 7th Anniversary was that long ago. From the way the game starts, to the start menu, to the menus alone...there really is nothing else like it. It's sensibilities on every facet is so physiologically pleasing regardless rather it's to incite displeasure or pleasure. And maybe the only time where petative shit talking to killed enemies never gets old (you'refuckedyou'refuckedyou'refuckedyou'refucked). Gah, there is so much to say! I'm not even sure there is any other singular existing game that has made that much of a impact as this. I even read that GAMEFAQ article that took almost an entire day to read!

Seriously, I frickin love everything about the start menu

This game meant so much to me back in the day. Few games have fascinated me so much, few villains have enthralled as much as Kun Lan, few stories have gotten me so intrigued, confused, and delighted.

That whole game was a thing of abstract beauty. That Capcom doesn't seem to even consider a rerelease frustrates me no end.

And "Rave On" is still one of the best game tunes ever.
I was already thinking of a possible sequel, anime, or just basically a huge franchise out of this madness in the following weeks (or months) after beating it. In hindsight, I was probably the only very few teenagers in the world who was crazy for that game. It's even worst when 3 years ago was the perfect opportunity to HD it up but it never was. 10 years later and Capcom still gives no shits? God damn shame. The world needs to know more about this masterpiece. God damn king without a crown, I tell ya'.

I bought Killer 7 shortly after it came out, based on the reviews, but I could never really get into it back in the day. I guess it was just too odd/I was too young.
I ultimately bought it after a Xplay review about it being similar to Metal Gear Solid in regards of it's huge emphasis on story despite the 3/5 score at the time. In hindsight, this may as well be the best decision I've ever made in my life (no joke, I think).

Man, this game made me feel completely empty after I finished it the first time. It was amazing. I love K7 in all its baffling glory.

I wish Grasshopper Manufacture still had their store up. I remember they had one or two K7 things, including Hand in Killer 7.

Danielsan

Love this game enough to own it twice (PS2 and GC). I really want to return to it some time. It's definitely one of the all time greats. Too bad Suda will never be able to top it.

BloodR0se

Undoubtedly my favourite game from the PS2 era (if you don't include anything on the Dreamcast). I wasn't as into games back then as I am now but this is one that will always stick with me. The art-style and unique controls alone make it worth a HD remake.

We're in a tight spot. A real tight spot.

10 years later and Capcom still gives no shits? God damn shame. The world needs to know more about this masterpiece. God damn king without a crown, I tell ya'.

Look, if they're not going to re-release Power Stone for Xbox Live then they're not going to re-release this. I think we'll just have to accept that sadly.

Proven

I bought it on July 7th. Still a month to my personal 10th anniversary.

I will always regret not replaying it 3 years ago.

One of my favorite GameCube games, it's brilliant. It's a game I thought about for weeks after finishing it, and still think about from time to time 10 years later.

It's just too bad that Suda/Grasshopper have been unable to rediscover this magic with the games they've done since, but I'm glad that this game exists to begin with.

Converse

Banned
In my humble and weird estimation, this is one of the greatest pieces of interactive entertainment ever crafted, especially speaking of visual, aural and tonal grounds. Thinking back on its age, it gets me down that video games aren't very well archived -- this is the sort of thing that needs to be preserved and appreciated.

NotLiquid

The ending to this game still leaves me hollow. That somber melody, everything it entailed and that sudden realization. I had to put down the controller when it happened and I just kind of stared.

And of course that final, depressing giggle at the end of each chapter.

"That wonderful smile is gone for eternity."

0o0AGb5.jpg

kunonabi

My brother and I adored this game. It's the game that introduced me to Suda51 and set a of level expectation that as gone mostly unmatched. At the moment FSR is my favorite Suda51 title but I haven't actually revisited Killer7 since launch so now is probably time to give it another playthrough.

I played a bunch of this on Gamecube until I got sick of jaggies and what not. At some point I am going to play this in Dolphin because I think it would be amazing! Artstyle still going strong!

Sadist

A masterpiece.

We were truly in a tight spot. A real tight spot. Man, I love everything in this game. The dialogue, the settings, the absolutely bonkers characters. Love it. Plus man, Rave On is a great theme that pumps you up, fantastic. Plus Dan Smith is amazing. I love the scene where he fucks up the Handsome Man. The showdown between the Killer 7 and those guys is pretty amazing as well. Or Cloudman! The Russian roulette scene is one of my favourite in videogames.

NotLiquid

I played a bunch of this on Gamecube until I got sick of jaggies and what not. At some point I am going to play this in Dolphin because I think it would be amazing! Artstyle still going strong!

Killer7 looks spectacular on Dolphin.

Kind of weird how Capcom haven't jumped onto the HD re-release train with this one. The work here is practically done for them.

Clov

This is still my favorite video game ever, and I honestly believe that there has yet to be a more intriguing game than this one. The story is fascinating, and the way that it's told is brilliant. Then there's the wonderful and bizarre cast of characters, the amazing artstyle, the catchy soundtrack... I can't imagine anything topping this game for me. It's really too bad that Suda can't make anything close to as good as this game, though he isn't nearly as hands on with his projects these days as he was with Killer7.

Ridley327

Kind of weird how Capcom haven't jumped onto the HD re-release train with this one. The work here is practically done for them.

I think I remember reading about it on this forum that a lot of Capcom at the time hated the game's existence as it was being made, but couldn't do anything about it because Mikami believed so strongly in the project to keep protecting it from their influence. The man is a goddamned saint for giving Suda everything he needed, even if it made no financial sense whatsoever.

Top Bottom