• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer7's 10th Anniversary (June 9th, 2005) - Don't Make Me Say It Again...

cj_iwakura

Just started a new play through, is it accepted that Travis is Travis Touchdown?

At best it's a reference. But they are wildly different people.

It is widely accepted that Travis' would-be killer at the end of NMH1 is Emir, though.

Heh, I started my new run last night. Did the Expert mode. Nothing to take lightly, ow.

Not as nuts as Killer8, though.

tim1138

At best it's a reference. But they are wildly different people.

It is widely accepted that Travis' would-be killer at the end of NMH1 is Emir, though.

Heh, I started my new run last night. Did the Expert mode. Nothing to take lightly, ow.

Not as nuts as Killer8, though.

Oh interesting

BBboy20

I think I remember reading about it on this forum that a lot of Capcom at the time hated the game's existence as it was being made, but couldn't do anything about it because Mikami believed so strongly in the project to keep protecting it from their influence. The man is a goddamned saint for giving Suda everything he needed, even if it made no financial sense whatsoever.
that explains a lot now

Justinh

I played this originally on Gamecube but do yourself a favor and play this on Dolphin. INCREDIBLE!

i just ripped this a couple weeks ago because while I always liked it, I never finished it on Gamecube and was curious to see how it would run on Dolphin and finally beat it.

I kinda want to get one of those mayflash Gamecube usb adapters now.

cj_iwakura

Oh interesting

In case you missed it:

emilparker.jpg

Kind of a given.

Same voice actor, too.

Laputa_94

I would absolutely love to see this game have a HD re-release. It is one of my favourite and unique gaming experiences of all-time.

I've had this game for the longest time in GameCube and have yet to play it. My backlog is massive. This thread though is giving me the itch to play it though.

Killer7 looks spectacular on Dolphin.

Kind of weird how Capcom haven't jumped onto the HD re-release train with this one. The work here is practically done for them.

it sold 3 copies. It would be a lot more appreciated nowadays though. Most discussions about it around launch amounted to little more than "LOL GAME IS WEIRD"

ilium

Love this game.

Back then I was playing it in an empty room, lights out, with only a TV on a small stand and a chair in front of it.

It was a pretty bizarre experience.

tim1138

Finished the first chapter tonight, the game is every bit as engaging as I remember. I can't wait to go through more this weekend and reexperience the awesome boss battles that are still to come.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
it sold 3 copies. It would be a lot more appreciated nowadays though. Most discussions about it around launch amounted to little more than "LOL GAME IS WEIRD"

Not here on GAF, many of us loved the game when it released. A ton of people didn't aporeciate it and were let down that to them the game was (I'm paraphrasing here) "just a very basic on rail light-gun shooter sans the most important and fun part: the lightgun itself"
It did sell like shit tho.

cj_iwakura

Not here on GAF, many of us loved the game when it released. A ton of people didn't aporeciate it and were let down that to them the game was (I'm paraphrasing here) "just a very basic on rail light-gun shooter sans the most important and fun part: the lightgun itself"
It did sell like shit tho.

I think it did pretty well in Europe? At least he has one heck of a following there thanks to Michigan.

jholmes

I really enjoyed this game but I have a hard time really explaining why. It certainly wasn't the gameplay and it's not as though I really understand the plot, honestly. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago, though. I remember it much more vividly than games I beat a year ago.

I hate coming into these threads and finding out games that aren't particularly rare are jacked way up in price. I almost feel guilty for grabbing my GameCube copy out of a grocery store bargain bin. (Not too guilty though!)

gooey

Neo Member
Popped it in when I got home yesterday.

With the help of gamefaqs I managed to finally find the 12th Ulmeyda figure.
Was in a house, hidden in a blood soaked crack in the wall which you had to absorb using KAEDE's power.
Not suprised I never found it before.

Got to the Ulmeyda boss fight. Going to tackle that tonight over some beers.

tim1138

Kind of wish I had done regular, but professional's a nice medium between regular and K8 insanity.

Killer8 might break you when you get to Cloudman.

Yeah I remember the immense frustration of Killer8 mode. Just got the letter about Travis, now I know why it's not Touchdown.

cj_iwakura

Yeah I remember the immense frustration of Killer8 mode. Just got the letter about Travis, now I know why it's not Touchdown.

It's fun to think about, but the theory quickly falls apart. They are wildly different people.

And I think K8 would be impossible without Young Harman, but I'm sure some lunatic has done it.

Ridley327

It's fun to think about, but the theory quickly falls apart. They are wildly different people.

And I think K8 would be impossible without Young Harman, but I'm sure some lunatic has done it.

My strategy for Killer8 was to abuse the hell out of the fact that Kevin's invisibility allowed him to run through Smiles. Makes stuff like that one stretch of highway in Cloudman and the maze in Alter Ego much more bearable.

Novocaine

Great write up.

I remember rushing out to get my GameCube copy on release day because I heard rumors there was a chance it was going to get pulled from shelves because of the sexual content.

Probably the first game that well and truly mind fucked me. I can't believe it's ten years old already. The game still looks awesome too. Rave On has been my phone ringtone for as long as I can remember.

Probably the game I miss the most since hocking off my GameCube. There's a PS2 at my girlfriend's place, maybe I should see if I can find myself a copy there. Ten year anniversary sounds like the perfect time for a re-release.

Astarte

I remember when Killer7 was THE spooby game to play at sleepovers at my friend's house. Our promise to beat this game wavered when we heard the screaming in Garcian's house.
Basically this was us whenever someone would bring up beating K7
I'm glad I did but 12-13 year old me was not happy. It took time to really appreciate it, like a good steak.
with ketchup

gooey

Neo Member
Okay... 03Encounter is almost unplayable on PS2. :(
The frame rate is just terrible. Going to try Dolphin.

tim1138

Ugh, I forgot how annoying the old men who shoot brains at the end of Sunset are. I had to die on purpose so I could wake up Kaede and use her scope.

One of my favorite titles. There's just nothing else I played that was quite like it. The storytelling, aesthetic, music, and gameplay all appealed to me. It's not the most pleasant game to play, but it more than makes up for it with everything else.

HD remake would be soo easy too. Get it running. Increase the resolution. Redo 2D art. Done.

I've been thinking about redoing 2D stuff myself, but Dolphin was annoying with the loading of custom textures.

Is it just me or is this mode even more evil than Killer8? Walk in a room as Coyote, four HSes show up.

Nope.gif

As much as I like the game, it's not the kind of game I'd want to pump up the difficulty on and see what happens when the gameplay is pushed harder. There's already some terrible spawns in normal mode.

cj_iwakura

Reached Sunset. Heh, the similarities to The Silver Case are a lot more apparent now.

Uh, isn't that Mills making the call during the cutscene before Harman blows him away, or just a look alike?

cj_iwakura

I love the end of Sunset Part 1. So abrupt.

Did anyone have trouble hearing Julia prior to the fight? The flames drowned out almost everything she said.

:(

Now for more Fun Facts!

The Silver Case doesn't get nearly enough love, so let's shine some light on a very interesting parallel.

See No Evil / Hear No Evil / Speak No Evil is a big theme in TSC.

mpZw3vB.png

That character is mute, another is blind, and the killer
(Sumio Mondo/Kodai from FSR)
is deaf.

Much like Con Smith in K7 being blind, Kevin Smith being mute, and Iwazaru being, uh, everything.

Israel

Neo Member
Hey guys, just wanted to post this tumblr page I created, where I'll be posting updates on a project I'm working on:

handinkiller7.tumblr.com

I'm designing and editing a version of Hand in Killer7 intended for print, and when done, I'll be sharing the file so that anyone can print and bind his own version of it. I'll also be posting a MOBI file por anyone interested on reading it on a Kindle.

tumblr_nraylpwaaB1ua77i5o2_1280.png

tumblr_nraylpwaaB1ua77i5o4_1280.png

Stay tuned!

cj_iwakura

Interesting. Are you doing this from scratch, or using Paradise Hotel's scanlation?

Also, I'm at Cloudman. Probably should add this nutcase to the OP, eh?

killer7-art-andreiulmeyda.jpg

These dudes have got energy to spare! We're talking guys who beat off four times a day!

Wait wait wait, hold up. Graham MacAlister? Related to Edo MacAlister from FSR?

Top Bottom