• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

Not that I know of. I mean we can make assuptions based on the names, but I doubt they're that straightforward.

Martial Artist will most likely be a parry based melee using the Katana and other finesse weapons, Gunslinger will most likely be dual pistols, and SWAT should fill in the SMG role which Field Medic used to be.

Of course this is just assumptions.
I thought they might not have said anything yet but I thought I'd double check. I'm really interested to see the martial artist, the berserker hasn't quite clicked for me so I'm hoping the MA does.

Gunslinger also has the potential to be a lot of fun, dual pistols were disappointing in the first game but building a class around them opens up some cool possibilities.

We really need new classes implemented, game is fun but is severely lacking in strategy when Scrakes start flooding in. It's basically buy tons of AA 12s or die when playing above Normal.
Eh, they're perfectly manageable on Hard and Suicidal with a sufficient amount of options if you're at approximately level 10. Berserkers bodyblocking them with parries whilst the rest opens fire, said perk continuously stumbling them with Pulverizers, the aforementioned 'spamming' of AA12's, pacing his rage sprint with EMP's, explosive 'nades also whittle them down a fair bit on those difficulties despite their explosion resistance, welding doors to buy time and you have additional ways of kiting 'em if a Medic (who has no problems outpacing them) keeps everyone healthy. The real problem with Scrakes is public server players generally not feeling comfortable leaving them be as they spawn in their harmless power-walking state and said players also not prioritizing headshots whenever they do open fire far too soon.

Nothing in the way of a 'true Scrakekiller' like the Sharpshooter in KF1, true, but the currently available classes are well-rounded enough to handle anything with the right amount of teamwork.

Kinsei

Banned
Eh, they're perfectly manageable on Hard and Suicidal with a sufficient amount of options if you're at approximately level 10. Berserkers bodyblocking them with parries whilst the rest opens fire, said perk continuously stumbling them with Pulverizers, the aforementioned 'spamming' of AA12's, pacing his rage sprint with EMP's, explosive 'nades also whittle them down a fair bit on those difficulties despite their explosion resistance, welding doors to buy time and you have additional ways of kiting 'em if a Medic (who has no problems outpacing them) keeps everyone healthy. The real problem with Scrakes is public server players generally not feeling comfortable leaving them be as they spawn in their harmless power-walking state and said players also not prioritizing headshots whenever they do open fire far too soon.

Nothing in the way of a 'true Scrakekiller' like the Sharpshooter in KF1, true, but the currently available classes are well-rounded enough to handle anything with the right amount of teamwork.

All very good points.

I doubt there will even be a "true" scrake killer like in KF1. This game seems to prioritize teamwork when playing multiplayer a lot more than KF2 did.

All very good points.

I doubt there will even be a "true" scrake killer like in KF1. This game seems to prioritize teamwork when playing multiplayer a lot more than KF2 did.

Yeah I can't imagine there being a class that can just destroy scrakes or fleshpounds, maybe when the class first launches but I imagine it would be nerfed before the full release. I'm sure sharpshooter will still end up being one of the better classes for killing scrakes but it will be balanced to ensure that there's a variety of classes who can deal with scrakes.

Lum1n3s

Yeah I can't imagine there being a class that can just destroy scrakes or fleshpounds, maybe when the class first launches but I imagine it would be nerfed before the full release. I'm sure sharpshooter will still end up being one of the better classes for killing scrakes but it will be balanced to ensure that there's a variety of classes who can deal with scrakes.
I'm wondering how they're going to balance it out, 8 classes is a lot. Really interested in the Gunslinger class seeing as how I loved using dual magnums with my Sharpshooter.

Do any classes need balancing atm? I feel like Commandos don't bring anything to the table like the other classes do. Maybe that's just me though.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm wondering how they're going to balance it out, 8 classes is a lot. Really interested in the Gunslinger class seeing as how I loved using dual magnums with my Sharpshooter.

Do any classes need balancing atm? I feel like Commandos don't bring anything to the table like the other classes do. Maybe that's just me though.

Zerk could use some buffs. The only thing it has going for it is being unable to be grabbed by clots and swing speed. Other than that medic is just as good at melee as berserker.

Nokterian

Zed time + MEAT has provided me with more "holy fucking SHIT this is so cool" moments than pretty much any other FPS :D

It has been a long time to see gibbing going to a new reach it's beautiful and coming up with blops 3 doing it also i am glad it returns in full glory.

I've found Commando to be far and away the best for clearing out the lower tier zeds and I imagine it will only get better once you unlock more perks.

Dylstew

Neo Member
Loving it so far but I'm a bit disapointed by the gore system, it's not what they made it seem to be. It also seems like a few weapons don't feel as satisfying as in KF1 but that might be because of the low level. I was surprised how true the dev talk about the non bullet spongy difficulty was. Hell on Earth is exactly like they said, really, really hard without the enemys having lots of health. All their new attacks and movements were great. Also that bloat running animation is hilarious.

Indeed, Sharpshooters trivialized Scrakes in KF1, and Demos rocked FPs. I can't see it working the same in KF2

mcz117chief

Indeed, Sharpshooters trivialized Scrakes in KF1, and Demos rocked FPs. I can't see it working the same in KF2

I dunno, I can pretty easily solo scrakes as commando in KF2. If you land each headshot then their heads will be shot off before they even rage = insta kill

JoeInky

I dunno, I can pretty easily solo scrakes as commando in KF2. If you land each headshot then their heads will be shot off before they even rage = insta kill

That only really works in Normal though doesn't it? Unless they've changed scrake behaviour since the beta.

mcz117chief

That's because they have jackshit for health on solo.

When you say solo, are you talking solo mode? As in no teammates?

6 player match normal and hard, no problem :)
I play with my gang and I usually go completely solo, I never have any trouble with scrakes. Only FPs can be troublesome so once I find one I contact the rest of the gang that I am being tailed by an FP and that they should be ready

mcz117chief

Have you tried suicidal and HoE? Normal and hard are basically KF1 beginner and normal.

Yeah no, KF2 is a ton harder than KF1. So far I didn't try anything above hard since we never even finished that one !

KF1 beginner and normal solo were pretty much playing themselves...beginner was especially easy since zeds dealt mostly 1 damage. In KF2 if you rage scrake and have nowhere to run you are dead no matter what.

Hypron

Have you tried suicidal and HoE? Normal and hard are basically KF1 beginner and normal.

No way, have you played KF1 beginner recently lol? It's not even in the same ball park.

If anything, I do find KF 2 harder on average at the same difficulty level.

Lum1n3s

No way, have you played KF1 beginner recently lol? It's not even in the same ball park.

Definitely can agree on this one, mainly when it comes to the boss and people that don't know what to do once Hans comes out. Tbh it just all depends on your squad and their ranks and if they know what they're doing.

I was playing hard the other day and a Berserker was using a katana thinking he was leveling up from it. I kept on telling them that it doesn't but they insisted it does.

6 player match normal and hard, no problem :)
I play with my gang and I usually go completely solo, I never have any trouble with scrakes. Only FPs can be troublesome so once I find one I contact the rest of the gang that I am being tailed by an FP and that they should be ready

Hmm, well more power to you then, I'll have to try that.

Kinsei

Banned

Maybe it's due to the amount of time I spent in the original, but this doesn't seem as tough. I ran through normal solo without any issues, and hard wasn't very hard.

Maybe it's cause sirens (the zed type that killed me the most in the original) aren't as dangerous.

I just tried it today but I honestly had no trouble, same goes for support with AA12 or zerker with hammer (you need to block well though)

Well... I did actually do the no rage commando headshot thing once, but that was in solo mode. Never really tried in multiplayer because I figured they would rage for sure.

Now I'll have to level my commando a bit.

Zerk could use some buffs. The only thing it has going for it is being unable to be grabbed by clots and swing speed. Other than that medic is just as good at melee as berserker.
I agree that the Berserker should receive a little something to help make the class stand out more, but comments like "Medics are just as good at melee as they are" strike me as redundant. Arguably better at tanking, yes, but Berserker gets various benefits - undertuned or not is a different matter - for swinging their weapons as it is that other perks don't possess, and do you really want a Medic to selfishly put himself into the fray (with all the risks that entails) instead of doing his job being the team's lifeline? I want no part of that on the higher difficulties.

Ignoring vision of Stalkers and increased Zed Time duration (both huge boons), Commandos are good for space control. I've been playing with a high-level one in HoE games and they're seemingly well-suited to clear out lesser Zeds from afar before they can cause interference for the rest of the team, as well as higher priority targets like Husks if the opportunity exists. They're prone to being swarmed though if said area control is falling apart and their slower movement speed compared to Medic and Berserker is also a weakness Commando needs to be mindful of, but that's a fair balance choice for a utility class.

Do melee combos do more damage than just clicking LMB quickly?
Keeping the button pressed instead of quickly repeating it seems to be slightly faster, yes. The Katana also has a quick strike upon whipping it out if you hold the LMB press as you swap from another weapon to it.

Hypron

Maybe it's due to the amount of time I spent in the original, but this doesn't seem as tough. I ran through normal solo without any issues, and hard wasn't very hard.

Maybe it's cause sirens (the zed type that killed me the most in the original) aren't as dangerous.

Playing in solo is quite a bit different from playing in a team. Your team needs to be more coordinated on hard than it had to be in Killing Floor 1 if you want to finish a map.

In KF1 the main type of team play that was required was to cover each other's asses by having people defending all the possible incoming enemy routes. In KF2 you also need to be able to coordinate your fire well to get rid of the big enemies since it's a lot harder to solo them.

Scrakes are also a lot more deadly than they were in KF1, they do a truckload of damage and they become really hard to deal with if someone fucks up and angers one at the wrong time. They also have more health. In several of my matches a single Scrake took down half the team because someone had the great idea to shoot it while we were already being assaulted by a significant number of other enemies. I don't think this ever happened to me in the first game over 100+ hours of gameplay.

And there's absolutely no way beginner in KF1 is harder than anything in KF2. That mode was like baby's first FPS. Some of the weaker enemies would do less than 1 HP of damage upon hitting you... Even the big guys like the Patriarch and the Fleshpound would do like 5-10 damage max.

Moppet13

My friend can't seem to click anything at all in game, any ideas what could be the problem? We can't seem to figure it out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
My friend can't seem to click anything at all in game, any ideas what could be the problem? We can't seem to figure it out.

Has he plugged a controller in recently? May be a controller conflict. If so, disable the 360 (or whatever) controller in drivers and see if that fixes it?

Moppet13

Has he plugged a controller in recently? May be a controller conflict. If so, disable the 360 (or whatever) controller in drivers and see if that fixes it?

No controllers, we also tried verifying the game catch and are now reinstalling it. But I looked it up, seems no one else has this problem.
Edit: Turns out he rebound his left click to push to talk??

Kymbo

I'm loving the game, didn't really play much of KF1 but this is bloody ( literally ) brilliant.
I've only played with randoms so have added my steam ID to the spreadsheet if anyone wants to add me.
I'll be on tonite from about 6.30GMT

Bloats are silly:

fkzqpe.gif

NIN90

Whoever said that the medic pistol is bad is full of shit. I'm using that thing as a Support on Hell on Earth for trash enemies and it's MUCH better than the default pistol.

Lum1n3s

Still trying to get the Berserker's parry down, I'm 50/50 with Scrakes but FP are a different story lol. I'm like able to parry 20% of his attacks, but the rest of the times it's bad.

Karak

A great game but my lord the division between the skilled and unskilled is a gulf so easily visible its redonkulous. Sadly I am in the latter group even after hours and hours of playing and being good at other FPS. Doesn't stop me from loving it.

Still trying to get the Berserker's parry down, I'm 50/50 with Scrakes but FP are a different story lol. I'm like able to parry 20% of his attacks, but the rest of the times it's bad.
For what it's worth, Fleshpounds are actually easier to parry than Scrakes once you find the general timing for it. All you really have to be careful of is that one leap attack (which has super armor) and even his spin attack can be reliably parried. Look into KF2's console commands and practice that way in an offline solo session.

A great game but my lord the division between the skilled and unskilled is a gulf so easily visible its redonkulous. Sadly I am in the latter group even after hours and hours of playing and being good at other FPS. Doesn't stop me from loving it.
In all fairness: even if you do have full understanding of the basic gameplay, by the end of the day Killing Floor 2 is still reliant on level gains and the various perk attributes you earn for the higher difficulties so you shouldn't feel too bad about being in the latter group as you say. Hopefully Tripwire eventually forces a level cap server option to automatically boot new or 'inexperienced' players joining Suicidal or Hell on Earth matches for that reason, because anything below level 10 and 20 respectively will be bordering on deadweight regardless of their mechanical skill. That's simply the way the cookie crumbles in this game, but thankfully the XP farming (class requirements included) is nowhere near as insane as in KF1.

Top Bottom