• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

Xyber

Anyone else have to restart the game a bunch just to get the servers to show up? It's really annoying.

Never had any issues with that.

I have just spent about 3 hours setting up an apache server for the first time, a lot of trial and error later and my server is now properly re-directing players so they can download custom maps when connecting.

The last 30 minutes troubleshooting was solved by a single backslash I had to put at the end of the re-direct IP.

The satisfaction I feel right now is pretty great.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Anyone else have to restart the game a bunch just to get the servers to show up? It's really annoying.

No I have a friend who can't buy properly or has a sound glitch that is annoying as all hell from his description.

Burst fire or single shot for days.

So true. If you're not bursting on your commando you're just wasting ammo same can be said for not abusing headshots or using the pistol on weaker zeds.

Karak

For what it's worth, Fleshpounds are actually easier to parry than Scrakes once you find the general timing for it. All you really have to be careful of is that one leap attack (which has super armor) and even his spin attack can be reliably parried. Look into KF2's console commands and practice that way in an offline solo session.

In all fairness: even if you do have full understanding of the basic gameplay, by the end of the day Killing Floor 2 is still reliant on level gains and the various perk attributes you earn for the higher difficulties so you shouldn't feel too bad about being in the latter group as you say. Hopefully Tripwire eventually forces a level cap server option to automatically boot new or 'inexperienced' players joining Suicidal or Hell on Earth matches for that reason, because anything below level 10 and 20 respectively will be bordering on deadweight regardless of their mechanical skill. That's simply the way the cookie crumbles in this game, but thankfully the XP farming (class requirements included) is nowhere near as insane as in KF1.

Ya thats true enough

NIN90

Never had any issues with that.

I have just spent about 3 hours setting up an apache server for the first time, a lot of trial and error later and my server is now properly re-directing players so they can download custom maps when connecting.

The last 30 minutes troubleshooting was solved by a single backslash I had to put at the end of the re-direct IP.

The satisfaction I feel right now is pretty great.

Oh, there's already custom maps?

NIN90

sfsfsfpjxjd.gif

KarmaCow

The combination of how long it seems to level and how much just the base bonuses that are a function of perk level help on higher difficulties is kinda kills my mood to play, especially for this pre-final version. It's starting to feel like grinding just to play the "real" game, even if the harder difficulties aren't massively different than Normal in terms of gameplay. Not to mention I can't imagine getting the 10 perks levelled up adequately in a non-insignificant amount of time after the game comes out of Early Access.

Or maybe I'm just not enjoying the game as much as I thought I would and I'm regretting my purchase. I'm not sure how I can shake this feeling of wasting my time by not sticking to one class and their respective weapons.

Was this with a public game or with a premade one?
Pre-made one. Lost patience with public games with how people either want to foolishly camp (yuck) with a composition not well-suited for it, decide to do their own thing or set off Scrakes at random. Worst of all is level 0 - 5 players joining in while having absolutely no clue what awaits them and effectively holding everyone else back. Makes an already big undertaking one hell of a crapshoot in terms of success rate.

Xyber

Pre-made one. Lost patience with public games with how people either want to foolishly camp (yuck) with a composition not well-suited for it, decide to do their own thing or set off Scrakes at random. Worst of all is level 0 - 5 players joining in while having absolutely no clue what awaits them and effectively holding everyone else back. Makes an already big undertaking one hell of a crapshoot in terms of success rate.

My friend and I have been playing on suicidal for a while now and you get so many low level people joining in just dragging everyone down.

Fortunately I run my own server and can get rid of people like that if they do nothing but die and make it harder for everyone else. Had 2 people the other day who did absolutely nothing to help. One guy got 5 kills in 2 waves and the other one got 30 in 4 waves. I mean, for real? =/

Xyber

Already posted?
https://youtu.be/_I4CZMEgbZA

Meh.
At least it shows how impressive can be the amount of dynamic shadows casted by the engine. :p

With how bad a lot of people already are, I don't think encouraging powerleveling is the best thing. They won't learn shit, join difficulties above their skill because they have a high level character now and ruin the game for other people.

teokrazia

With how bad a lot of people already are, I don't think encouraging powerleveling is the best thing. They won't learn shit, join difficulties above their skill because they have a high level character now and ruin the game for other people.

I agree 100%.
Shortcuts are never a good thing in MP games.

My friend and I have been playing on suicidal for a while now and you get so many low level people joining in just dragging everyone down.

Fortunately I run my own server and can get rid of people like that if they do nothing but die and make it harder for everyone else. Had 2 people the other day who did absolutely nothing to help. One guy got 5 kills in 2 waves and the other one got 30 in 4 waves. I mean, for real? =/
Had some asshole join a HoE session yesterday right as we were hitting wave 7, but he didn't actively participate (stayed in the opening menu instead) and we lost because of the extra spawns. That's ignoring the Zed damage and health scaling too. There were only 8 left before we got wiped, so if it wasn't for Joe Schmo we could've at the very least triggered the boss. Guy must've been desperate for his precious achievement.

Tripwire implementing automated booting (in conjunction with level caps) can't come soon enough. Or rather, I hope they're actively working on that type of functionality.

Lum1n3s

Tripwire confirmed that they're resetting people's perks right? If so I'm wondering if we are getting anything from leveling ourselves besides experience for when the game cones out.

So what's the go-to place (that isn't sketchy) to get this game these days? I'm down to go in on a 6 pack, or get a 6 pack if there are people that want to split the cost.

Super excited about this one, with minor concerns over level grinding- only part about part 1 that I wasn't too fond of.

Lum1n3s

I didn't see anything mentioning Killing Floor 2, and the only reason why they reset everything in Red Orchestra is due to the fact that people were awarded XP in a non-correct manner. So is that what's going on right now for KF2?

So what's the go-to place (that isn't sketchy) to get this game these days? I'm down to go in on a 6 pack, or get a 6 pack if there are people that want to split the cost.

Super excited about this one, with minor concerns over level grinding- only part about part 1 that I wasn't too fond of.
Just go to the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, I've seen people selling keys for $20 bucks.

I didn't see anything mentioning Killing Floor 2,and the only reason why they reset everything was because of the way people were awarded XP in a non-correct manner. So is that what's going on right now for KF2?

I think TheSeks is giving an example of something Tripwire has done in the past when resetting levels as an idea of what they could do in KF2.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I didn't see anything mentioning Killing Floor 2, and the only reason why they reset everything in Red Orchestra is due to the fact that people were awarded XP in a non-correct manner. So is that what's going on right now for KF2?

Just go to the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, I've seen people selling keys for $20 bucks.

It's basically an "If we need to reset them, we'll reset them" stance for the moment, but they have told players to expect it happening.

I feel like this is really not a necessary step. Unless something absolutely catastrophic happens which makes everyone level 25 on all perks, or a complete rewrite of the perk system (and some of these perks need reworking), they shouldn't punish legit players by resetting progress across the board again.

The experience "grind" in Killing Floor 2 is nowhere near as insane as 1's, thankfully. It's a lot more gradual with class attributes handed out every 5 levels (the max being 25).

Hypron

I just finished Biotics Lab on 6 players hard. I died within 1 minute of the boss wave starting though, and the other people in the team almost all died in the first and second phases. Only two guys were left to finish phase 3, and one of them died right at the end of that phase. So there was only 1 guy (medic) left for the whole last phase... And this bastard managed to pull it off! It took forever but he killed the boss. I always find it really fun to just watch really skilled players solo the boss after everyone's died. It almost never works out but it just makes those few instances when it does work out even more impressive.

A bit earlier I also played my first (and only) game where everyone was well organised... One guy was using his mic to tell everyone what to do. I can't believe how much simpler it makes the game. We just blew everything away, we were never in any real danger. I kinda wish I got to play with organised people like that more often.

charsace

The game works on windows 10. Can only play it windowed though. I am using an NVidia card. AMD has better windows 10 drivers.

BHK3

Banned
Loving that custom maps are in now, though so far they haven't been the best (super dark forest and super small dark subway/lab mix) but the goldeneye level was pretty neat. I did only play the Doom level in KF1 hehe

Plasma

Banned
Loving that custom maps are in now, though so far they haven't been the best (super dark forest and super small dark subway/lab mix) but the goldeneye level was pretty neat. I did only play the Doom level in KF1 hehe

It takes time, it doesn't help that it isn't simple to port over maps from other Unreal projects. You can't use brushes because of the splatter tech, the lighting model is different so all that has to be redone and you can't create your own materials you have to use instances of the ones that are already in so all of those have to be redone as well. Slowly working on getting my RE Mansion level over though seeing as I'm going to have to redo a lot of it that could take awhile even though I have all the assets done already.

Xyber

SubCentral is pretty well done, a little small yes, but overall it's one of the better custom maps available now.

Stack (one of the Goldeneye maps), while kinda fun to play on, looks so incredibly boring. :p

I just installed the SDK to see if I can make something at all, having never touched a game editor in my life I feel like this now.
b7e.jpg

Latest patch fixed so you don't get XP on them anymore. That's probably a big reason to why they died off. It's also not really fun after a few games.
Yeah, the 100 man servers don't have much in the way of long-lasting appeal. At first it's a neat novelty, but the automatic health and damage scaling on Zeds goes out of control with the bigger targets.

Hypron

So I finished all the maps on Suicidal (wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be when you have a decent team that's good at kiting) but I'm only level 13. I'm affraid I'll be a bit of a dead weight if I move onto HoE straight away.

What do you guys reckon is a good level to start HoE?

Skittles

So I finished all the maps on Suicidal (wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be when you have a decent team that's good at kiting) but I'm only level 13. I'm affraid I'll be a bit of a dead weight if I move onto HoE straight away.

What do you guys reckon is a good level to start HoE?

Skittles

So right now I can see zerk and commando getting the most changes (especially commando). Commando is fairly useless for his first ten levels on any difficulty above normal. Everything that made him good in the first game is locked behind perk skills. His level up stats don't really add anything that the other classes don't get. I mean, while seeing stalkers and health is nice. He doesn't have a lot of team contribution until he is really level and can kill trash mobs very effectively. He desperately needs recoil reduction added back in and have it scale with level. Either that or adjust the recoil on his weapons because the ak's and scar's is god damn ridiculous and not viable on full automatic. His starting weapon is literally the worst out of everyone's because the damage is awful and the burst is laughably slow. Also some of his perk skills don't fit his class, why oh why do I want extra pistol and knife damage?

I wonder how SWAT, Gunslinger, Martial Artist will be like. Gunslinger will probably be dual wielding pistols. Martial Artist I don't know... more on parries and maybe an exclusive grab/throw/charge? SWAT will come with a riot shield?

Top Bottom