• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez>You said:
I think I'm going to stop myself from reading this thread, or joining in any KZ2 related discussion until after I play the game at this point.

I don't want any more of the game spoiled, for one. But also, I think that at the moment, if I were to play KZ2, I would be playing a discussion point, rather than an actual game. Hopefully giving ~2 weeks of a cool down from general KZ2 talk will allow me to go into the experience in a [slightly] less tainted way.
Yeah, I honestly feel the same way. I loved the demo, that's all that really should matter. I'm a bit tired of reading people arguing about people arguing about the game over and over.

In any case - Bruce really good job with this thread, and Alba with the theme! I like the layout and info here a lot better than the R2 thread. Really good idea to post the history timeline from their site too, it's actually easier to read this way.

TTP said:
No.

You lose the disguise when:

-- You hit an enemy (not necessarily kill him)
-- You are hit by an enemy (or a buddy if FF is ON IIRC)

Enemies can spot your real identity when:

-- They point at you at close distance (name above head turns red/real)
-- They use the Spot and Mark ability (you still look friendly, but you are marked as enemy. This only applies to the guy using the S&M ability. I'm not sure how that info is communicated to the rest of the team tho. Perhaps marked enemies appear as red dots on radar even when not firing?)

Side note: a disguised Saboteur doesn't show up on the radar as friendly (green dot).

As for the sentries, yes, you can place 4 of those, but that number is shared by the whole team so you can't have more than 4 active turrets simultaneously, no matter the number of engineers. For example, if there are like 3 turrets already deployed by others, you can only deploy 1.

Edit: Beaten on sentries

Ah so saboteur doesn't show up on radar. How does cloak work?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gully State said:
Ah so saboteur doesn't show up on radar. How does cloak work?

The Scout cloak? It's basically the same as with the saboteur disguise, but

a) you are invisible (duh)
b) the faster you move, the less invisible you are (hence, you better stand still)
c) from the Scout POV, a color overlay on the screen indicates cloak is on (everything turns blue-ish). It fades when you move. Comes back when you stop.

icechai said:
4 sentries per team if it hasn't changed, so if you're the only engineer and your timer recharges enough while your turrets are still alive, you can do it
Wonder how many headaches I will get beacause of stupid engineers in my team wasting all the turrets.

bigswords

Tenkai Star said:
Wonder how many headaches I will get beacause of stupid engineers in my team wasting all the turrets.

What I don't get it doesn't each engineer get a turret? If your other teammates plant turrets and you hit the turret cap, you can't plant turrets anymore?

DoomGyver

bigswords said:
What I don't get it doesn't each engineer get a turret? If your other teammates plant turrets and you hit the turret cap, you can't plant turrets anymore?
No, it's called weapon balancing. Would you want 15 other people on your team each planting 4 turrets? That wouldn't be fun at all.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
where is this image from?

2dsq0j6.png

Its from the ad thread, done by LRB1983 and its wonderful.

Full Recovery said:
No, it's called weapon balancing. Would you want 15 other people on your team each planting 4 turrets? That wouldn't be fun at all.
He said one turret each. Not four. I do hope its one turret each and a maximum of 4. So its not one guy placing four turrets and the others dont get any.

Awntawn

i noticed the "press X to respawn" display in some of the newer mp videos after dying, is it now possible for you to stay down and wait for a medic longer, or are you still beyond saving after like 5 seconds? to be honest i never could imagine the medic's effectiveness with you only being revive-able for a couple of seconds, even if you did get pulled up you'd probably just get shot down instantly. makes more sense to allow your teammates to clear the area and then revive you.

dfyb

Banned
bigswords said:
i think it's another subtle, but innovative decision by GG. it is a balance technique. in other games, they approached the issue by limiting the number of people who can play as that class. you'll want to play as an engineer, but it'll say 'too many engineers' and you're out of luck -- waiting till someone else switches or leaves. GG mixes things up -- you can still be an engineer, but there's a cap on turrets. there are advantages and negatives of both approaches, but i'll welcome fresh ideas. i think it will benefit clan matches the most -- a single badass engineer can potentially maintain 4 turrets (or two can each maintain a pair) and the rest of the players can be other classes. adds a bit more strategy to it. a few other teamates could take the engineer 2nd ability and help repair, too.

bigswords

dfyb said:
i think it's another subtle, but innovative decision by GG. it is a balance technique. in other games, they approached the issue by limiting the number of people who can play as that class. you'll want to play as an engineer, but it'll say 'too many engineers' and you're out of luck -- waiting till someone else switches or leaves. GG mixes things up -- you can still be an engineer, but there's a cap on turrets. there are advantages and negatives of both approaches, but i'll welcome fresh ideas. i think it will benefit clan matches the most -- a single badass engineer can potentially maintain 4 turrets (or two can each maintain a pair) and the rest of the players can be other classes. adds a bit more strategy to it.

Ahhh I see thanks, so there's a cap of 4 turrets. Either like your example.

1) 1 engineer maintains 4 turrets
2) 2 engineers maintain 2 turrets each
3) 4 engineers maintain 1 turret each

Hmmmm I guess it isn't that bad unless it allows other engineers on your team to destroy the turrets and allow them to plant theirs. (in a clan match it doesn't matter) , but in PUGs there are always going to be assholes.

bigswords said:
Ahhh I see thanks, so there's a cap of 4 turrets. Either like your example.

1) 1 engineer maintains 4 turrets
2) 2 engineers maintain 2 turrets each
3) 4 engineers maintain 1 turret each

Hmmmm I guess it isn't that bad unless it allows other engineers on your team to destroy the turrets and allow them to plant theirs. (in a clan match it doesn't matter) , but in PUGs there are always going to be assholes.

The problem is

1 engineer wants to test how turrets works and hides in a corner and builds a turret
1 engineer builds a turret in the teams base even though no enemy rarely get that far
1 engineer builds a turret in the wrong direction
1 engineer builds a turret in a position rarely used by the enemy
1 engineer build up a massive headache

amar212

Tenkai Star said:
The problem is

1 engineer wants to test how turrets works and hides in a corner and builds a turret
1 engineer builds a turret in the teams base even though no enemy rarely get that far

Give this man a cigar.

tito-in-castro.jpg

tiddles

Tenkai Star said:
The problem is

There's a reason why the engineer's shotgun is particularly effective against turrets :D

Also, if you have lots of crappy engineers on your team, just switch to another class for a bit until they get bored and change classes themselves... It's a great class though, and good ones can turn the tide of a battle.

bizatch

Tenkai Star said:
The problem is

From the videos I have seen so far turrets don't do all that much damage and are easy to destroy. So I'm doubting that they're a real deal breaker in regular matches.

ChryZ

Tenkai Star said:
The problem is

Turrets are hardly game changing. Wasting them is a rather small annoyance. In the beta I had games where nobody wanted to be engineer nor tactician, it's easy to respawn as one of those classes to fill the void and make good exp.

bizatch said:
From the videos I have seen so far turrets don't do all that much damage and are easy to destroy. So I'm doubting that they're a real deal breaker in regular matches.
Too bad. I dont want them to be too powerful but still powerful enough that people dont want to try and get pass them unless they have to. So they get some tactical use so you could cut of paths and lure the enemy the way you want.

gantz85

Banned
Always-honest said:
yeah.. it would have been smarter to release the game NOW...

00011000 said:
I'd put it down to the non-existent PR campaign...

Sony honestly don't have a clue how to market.

Uncharted.
LittleBigPlanet.

Now Killzone 2.

Hey, at least they're predictable, and this means they know they have to fire Scott shitty Steinberg if they want better. Seriously. What the fuck is this shit.

There is nothing here in Oz either. Nothing. I know PS3 owners who had to be reminded that the game existed at all. Sony are a very very very very very very very very very strange corporation sometimes.

BaZZaa

Neo Member
00011000 said:
I'd put it down to the non-existent PR campaign...

I went to the cinema last night and before the movie they showed an 5 minute trailer of killzone. It was just like an movie trailer and looked absolutely gorgeous! So there is some sort of campaign here in the netherlands...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
braimuge said:
Can anyone explain to me how sales make a game more fun?
It doesnt.
People like to argue. Its a childish attitude : 'Mah' game selz moar than urs lolz'
I had tons of fun with low budget games,AAA games,big hits,flops. :mad:

Gibb

Awntawn said:
i noticed the "press X to respawn" display in some of the newer mp videos after dying, is it now possible for you to stay down and wait for a medic longer, or are you still beyond saving after like 5 seconds? to be honest i never could imagine the medic's effectiveness with you only being revive-able for a couple of seconds, even if you did get pulled up you'd probably just get shot down instantly. makes more sense to allow your teammates to clear the area and then revive you.

not sure if that was changed.. from Ask The Dev:

Demigod Seb Downy said:
Reviving as in mortally wounded. If the player is back on the spawn-select its too late. The wounded character is in his death cam, animating for help. The wounded player can choose to respawn after a certain time, or someone can come around and put them out of their misery so they don’t have to wait for the spawn-timer, but those times can be customized too.

KZObsessed

Sony's Q1 (Q4?) marketing campaign has kicked off in the UK at least, they've started re-marketing LBP and I saw a bunch of Motorstorm: Pacific Rift ads during the football at the weekend.

Hopefully we'll start to see some Killzone 2 ads next week as build up to the release. They need to start early rather than waiting for launch day. I have no idea how £2mil translates into marketing presence but hopefully they'll be more effective than with other campaigns.

NameIess said:
^ I have to agree the MP vids are fucking amazing!
I just got done playing COD4 and then the KZ2 demo; the gunplay, animations and physics is killing everything out there period. Not to mention the amazing visuals, I just don't get how some reviewers are not floored by this title.

I just can't wait to dig into the MP component of the game and hope the modes & maps remain fresh over the long haul. Also, I'm hoping they give us some good DLC maps with varied environments and map types.

The graphics alone didn't floor me (actually they did WOW) but the Visari Hammer map and the Phyrrus Rise map just had atmosphere straight out of a painting. I'm not sure how good the level design is, but I'll say that there are some great looking areas in these maps that just made my draw drop. The palace like stairway with the two bases parallel to each other with the Star Wars Episode 3 like lava world shit going down with the soft blue glow of allys running around, and then Phyrrus with that amazing bridge and it's various pits. My god.

I was actually shaking my head like Larry Fitzgerald while watching these vids saying "No,no, no no no nono" because I knew that any plans I had to get a Ps3 sometime later had instantly died because any self respecting shooting fan simply cannot resist this.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Truant said:
It's funny reading this thread, and knowing that I actually forgot to play the game last night. :lol
You are not funny!
I played the demo yesterday... same as everyday ! :lol

andycapps

How powerful are the turrets? Can they be upgraded or are they always the same? I guess I'm asking if they're capable of taking someone down by themselves, or if they're more of just a pesky thing. I'm hoping that you can upgrade them and make them pretty dominant.

Love playing engi class in TF2. "Spy sappin mah sentry!"

nofi

andycapps said:
How powerful are the turrets? Can they be upgraded or are they always the same? I guess I'm asking if they're capable of taking someone down by themselves, or if they're more of just a pesky thing. I'm hoping that you can upgrade them and make them pretty dominant.

Love playing engi class in TF2. "Spy sappin mah sentry!"

They're capable enough if you don't see them until it's too late...

LRB1983

Banned
PistolGrip said:
where is this image from?

[IG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2dsq0j6.png[/IG]

Its from the ad thread, done by LRB1983 and its wonderful.
Yep, sorry for late reply, it's from EGM but edited, I've cloned one helghast to take magazine text and vectors over.

Top Bottom