• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Not sure why you find that so silly.... Based on all the gifs and vids I've watched for this game, it's not all that drastically different from the demo. It's not like I'm going to pop the retail version into my PS3 and suddenly puppies, rainbows, and unicorns are going to come gallivanting across the screen. There's not big shocker coming in the retail version that I can't gleam from the demo. That's why they call it a demo, no?

zeloe326

The Wise Old Man said:
Not sure why you find that so silly.... Based on all the gifs and vids I've watched for this game, it's not all that drastically different from the demo. It's not like I'm going to pop the retail version into my PS3 and suddenly puppies, rainbows, and unicorns are going to come gallivanting across the screen. There's not big shocker coming in the retail version that I can't gleam from the demo. That's why they call it a demo, no?

So you were expecting rainbows and unicorns. OK.

gantz85

Banned
The Wise Old Man said:

Genius.

From now on, the press will review games based on their demos.

That's why they call it a demo, no?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Wise Old Man said:
Pretty much, yeah. Killzone 2 just isn't that great a game. Sorry kids.
Good to know. Bye.

Truant

Played some more. I wish this game had some more awesome setpieces. So far it's only been urban combat. Good urban combat, though.

gantz85

Banned
The Wise Old Man said:

Your point could have some validity to it when only the Official Playstation Magazine reviews were out. But now the gaming media and press at large have access to KZ2 and the aggregate opinion is that it is in fact an AAA game.

Why that attitude as if your opinion ruled all or had more validity over that of others? You're a nobody. You're trolling. You're not even giving any kind of proper argument or answering any points made against you.

This is why Sony is fucking stupid. Just release the fucking game early you tards. Letting it incubate is gonna let these bots come in and gear up on their slamming (based on the demo :lol:lol:lol).

BeeDog said:
Do you even have a PS3?

Yep, just snagged one a month ago and I'm loving it so far. Resistance 2 coop online is a total blast. MGS4 is the balls. The PS3 has a pretty solid library (and I approve of them not charging for their online service like Microsoft does). I was just hoping that Killzone 2 would live up to all the hype. It's an 'ok' FPS, nothing less, nothing more.

gantz85 said:
You're not even giving any kind of proper argument or answering any points made against you.

Sure I am. My point is that Killzone isn't all that original or interesting for me. I'm not faulting GG for this. The problem lies with the genre itself. War torn FPS games got old a long time ago. Heavens forbid I get some innovation in a game...

Moreover, it feels like most of you folks are trying a bit too hard to like this game. I'm not hating on it or anything, but it definitely doesn't justify all the hype that's been generated over it. If the PS3 wants a system selling FPS, this is certainly not it. Resistance is probably the better title.

Q-bert

Banned
The Wise Old Man said:
Sure I am. My point is that Killzone isn't all that original or interesting for me. I'm not faulting GG for this. The problem lies with the genre itself. War torn FPS games got old a long time ago. Heavens forbid I get some innovation in a game...

As long as KillZone 2 is a notch above Call of Duty, it's going to be an attractive purchase for millions of people.

Tired genre or not, there's still a ton of people buying them and playing them online for months and months.

And, for what it's worth, I do think KZ2 will be a notch above COD4/WAW and I look forward to playing it for several months.

The comment in the Ars review regarding the game not being a system seller is probably true, when considering the single player story alone. But I dont think thats The Point of KZ2, so that comment seemed somewhat ignorant. If you own a 360 but have been eyeing MGS4/Uncharted, I can see how KZ2 would put you over the tipping point for making the purchase.

h3ro

The Wise Old Man said:
Moreover, it feels like most of you folks are trying a bit too hard to like this game. I'm not hating on it or anything, but it definitely doesn't justify all the hype that's been generated over it. If the PS3 wants a system selling FPS, this is certainly not it. Resistance is probably the better title.

OK, that's fine, but you sure are spending a lot of time in the official thread of a game that you don't like. Why waste your time shitting on other peoples enjoyment? If it's not for you, move on, Bruce did the R2 Official thread, check it out...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Wise Old Man said:
Oh no... saying that is like calling the R2 Hate force ! Thankfully for you PrivateHoffman is banned.
If you dont like the game its cool,everyone has different tastes,but you should understand
that many people like it,maybe because of the footage or because they played the demo or beta.
Anyway... keep it civil guys.

The Wise Old Man said:
i'm not trying anything.

this appeals to me way more than Resistance (i rented the first, and bought and returned the 2nd when i couldn't get it it to work on line EVER). you've got much smarter AI for one, which is a big thing for me. a more interesting setting (to me at least).

sure it's just a great looking, uber polished shooter if you can step back from the system WARZ view point, but what the hell is wrong with that?

personally i don't care if it sells systems. i don't care if it's better looking than any 360 game or not. it looks like a really fun, high polished, AAA title.

you can ask anyone around here that knows my post history and they'll tell you that while i may be a lot of things, biased towards sony i am not. scif FPS fan, I am.

Truant

The Wise Old Man said:
Yep, just snagged one a month ago and I'm loving it so far. Resistance 2 coop online is a total blast. MGS4 is the balls. The PS3 has a pretty solid library (and I approve of them not charging for their online service like Microsoft does). I was just hoping that Killzone 2 would live up to all the hype. It's an 'ok' FPS, nothing less, nothing more.

I would definitely say it's more than 'an OK FPS'. It's far from the best game I've played, but the combat feels great, and the graphics are the best I've seen on PS3 yet.

patsu

The KZ2 demo has no MP and is too short.

I wouldn't rate KZ2 "funness" based on the demo alone. e.g., Resistance MP is much much more fun than the SP.

Truant

patsu said:

I wouldn't rate KZ2 "funness" based on the demo alone. e.g., Resistance MP is much much more fun than the SP.

I've only played with bots so far, but I enjoy the SP more than the MP.

rexor0717

The Wise Old Man said:
I was just hoping that Killzone 2 would live up to all the hype. It's an 'ok' FPS, nothing less, nothing more.
All bow down to the King of Opinions! His opinion is fact, while others' are just crazy ramblings...

/sarcasm.

jester

Neo Member
Kittonwy said:
You do regenerate health, just slowly so if you're in a gun fight you can't simply duck and regenerate during a one on one encounter if you're losing the battle.

Thank you! I was hoping this would be the case.

Also, there aren't any like power-ups or shields to pick up, are they? I really would not want that.

patsu said:

i wouldn't know. R2 wouldn't let me play online when i bought it :(

i hope KillZone 2 isn't the same. i work in IT, all my other PS3 games work online, all the network tests are clear, i had all the right ports forwarded... but i could never get in a game.

patsu

Yeah, but the attraction in MP is to play with humans. :)

Not saying KZ2 MP will definitely be more fun than SP but playing with bots is pretty much playing alone. There is no/little sense of teamwork, revenge, community, etc.

In similar vein, I would love Insomniac to leave the "Kill a Teabagger" trophy in the MP game (but they didn't) :(

McLovin

The Wise Old Man said:
I knew it. All those online review sites are lying. The Wise Old Man is a credible source. Since he's played the demo a dozen times and watched some gifs in a thread or two. I bet the online sucks too right? I bet you saw a video or two on Killzone 2 MP and deduced that it was crappy as well.. no?
/sarcasm

patsu

plagiarize said:
i wouldn't know. R2 wouldn't let me play online when i bought it :(

i hope KillZone 2 isn't the same. i work in IT, all my other PS3 games work online, all the network tests are clear, i had all the right ports forwarded... but i could never get in a game.

Bah, that's so long ago. R2 servers are fine now. Well hidden lag, no crashes. I believe most people will find R2 MP more fun than the SP.

Fersis

patsu said:
Bah, that's so long ago. R2 servers are fine now. Well hidden lag, no crashes. I believe most people will find R2 MP more fun than the SP.
R2 60 players match super smooth.
The first two weeks were a little unstable, now is networking awesomesauce.
Offtopic sorry.

Kittonwy

Banned
jester said:
Thank you! I was hoping this would be the case.

Also, there aren't any like power-ups or shields to pick up, are they? I really would not want that.

No shield or power-ups. Everything is well-balanced, it's pretty much all skill-based.

patsu said:
i bought it in late december. seemed like everyone i was trying to play with was having zero trouble which is what made me think it was an issue with my network, but i couldn't find a single thing, and that's my job basically. everything else worked fine.

so back it went. naturally i'm nervous that whatever it was that made R2 different to all the other PS3 games i've played will also be true of KZ2.

i'm expecting a few weeks of network problems because, frankly, every big PS3 release has had that.

Dementia

Alright, silly question, but uh... how do I download the KZ2 demo off of PSN if I have a demo code from gamestop that someone gave me?

Rolf NB

Dementia said:
Alright, silly question, but uh... how do I download the KZ2 demo off of PSN if I have a demo code from gamestop that someone gave me?
Inside the PSN storefront, on the right, near the top, there's a row of three small white-on-blue icons. The leftmost one is "Redeem code". Click that and do your thing.

I think there's another hook for code entry inside the account management (rightmost column in the XMB, not in the store).

lupinko

Dementia said:

Account Management -> Redeem Code -> enter code .> code accepts .> download demo

lupinko

Iain Howe said:
Remind me to pop into the Resistance 2 thread to talk about how awesome the Killzone 2 MP design is...

You should, just because of how Thrilling THRILLZONE2 is. :D

I'm not super serious or anything, I just like talking about Thrillzone 2.

jett

D-Member
The Wise Old Man said:
I'm basing my opinions on having played the demo a half dozen times.

Unfortunately, appropriate reponses to statements such as this are a bannable offense these days.

Fersis

Iain Howe said:
Remind me to pop into the Resistance 2 thread to talk about how awesome the Killzone 2 MP design is...
Looks like you never posted on the Resistance 2 thread.
It was a freaking Killzone 2 hype/Resistance 2 hate thread!!! :mad:

But yeah, i know that my comment was offtopic.

jett said:
Unfortunately, appropriate reponses to statements such as this are a bannable offense these days.
to be fair, i think we're all making opinions based on the demo. some positively (like me) some negatively.

i do have to roll my eyes whenever someone who hasn't played the full game asks someone saying that they aren't impressed 'Oh, you played the full game again?' like somehow you can only have positive opinions of a game that you haven't played and negative ones aren't allowed.

i know i'll usually put my impressions of a demo before a reviewers impressions of the full game... and why shouldn't i?

jett said:

Ha just what I was thinking. I must have wrote something about 3 times and then thought
better of it.

Flunkie

Banned
plagiarize said:
i bought it in late december. seemed like everyone i was trying to play with was having zero trouble which is what made me think it was an issue with my network, but i couldn't find a single thing, and that's my job basically. everything else worked fine.

so back it went. naturally i'm nervous that whatever it was that made R2 different to all the other PS3 games i've played will also be true of KZ2.

i'm expecting a few weeks of network problems because, frankly, every big PS3 release has had that.
To be honest, what game doesn't have some hiccups after release, though? Gears 2 still has major glitch problems and the netcode still isn't fixed 100%.

gamerecks said:
So, wait, the wise old man is making all his decisions based on a demo he played a half dozen times and videos from websites?

He's also trying to push his view as the One True Fact and attempting to enforce it on us.

Top Bottom