• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
bcn-ron said:
I played the demo yesterday while waiting for my PSN downloads to finish. It's my goto-demo.
Amazing, i did the same while downloading Flower... KZ2 and Cuboid. :D

ChryZ

andycapps said:
How powerful are the turrets? Can they be upgraded or are they always the same? I guess I'm asking if they're capable of taking someone down by themselves, or if they're more of just a pesky thing. I'm hoping that you can upgrade them and make them pretty dominant.
No upgrades AFAIK.

Pro-tip: build them on elevated places (tables, upper stairways, etc), this will increase the likelihood of headshots

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:
No upgrades AFAIK.

Pro-tip: build them on elevated places (tables, upper stairways, etc), this will increase the likelihood of headshots

On a side note, turrets are also very effective against flying drones. They switch to AA missiles when a flying drone gets in their range. ;)

bcn-ron said:
I played the demo yesterday while waiting for my PSN downloads to finish. It's my goto-demo.

It's a ritual for me as well. I just can't resist, I have to zip through the demo once a day.

And I love those recent HD videos of the MP play. Now I understand what everyone was talking about the addicting "chirp" sound when you get a kill. Perfect audio.

KZObsessed

TTP said:
On a side note, turrets are also very effective against flying drones. They switch to AA missiles when a flying drone gets in their range. ;)

If that's the case then Engineers need to set up turrets near me while I'm sniping or they're outta teh clan!

Hate those air drone, they can see through ma cloak! I be naked under there!

andycapps

ChryZ said:
No upgrades AFAIK.

Thanks.. So the range of them must be pretty good? Line of sight? I wish they were more powerful, but I guess I'll adapt to how they work in Killzone 2. I'm used to doing nothing but repairing them in TF2, but it sounds like in this I'll still be fighting, just putting up sentries every now and then.

KZObsessed

andycapps said:
Thanks.. So the range of them must be pretty good? Line of sight? I wish they were more powerful, but I guess I'll adapt to how they work in Killzone 2. I'm used to doing nothing but repairing them in TF2, but it sounds like in this I'll still be fighting, just putting up sentries every now and then.

Yeah... you can't let your turrets do all your work for you in this game. :p

ChryZ

FFObsessed said:
If that's the case then Engineers need to set up turrets near me while I'm sniping or they're outta teh clan!
Yeah. Turrets are awesome surveillance devices, they easily expose back stabbing bastards and dilute the element of surprise.

andycapps said:
Their line of sight is pretty good, but not as good as the player's eye. Headshot is an instant kill nevertheless, but don't expect to kill 20 people with one turret :p

I guess they will work pretty much as those electrical things the Marksman fires in Resistance 2. Those will hurt you, rarely kill you but man they are annoying and it is way more easy to kill someone getting attacked by one.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:

That's a good tip.
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:

Hate those air drone, they can see through ma cloak! I be naked under there!

Or I can haz plant some C4.
angry.gif

Cruzader

Banned
Riskbreaker23 said:
im glad i stuck to my guns and kept my amazon pre-order. get the same day as everyone else and $10 cheaper

Yes, i think it should be posted on the OP. Its a great deal.You can save even more if you get it on your gold box. (+ 3% off)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kittonwy said:
I don't think they do in the beta.

In any case, I hate mines and the likes. I HATE THEM. Especially when you can't spot them till you step on them. I should start a petition.

I read the Edge review!!

All I could make out was you won't like this game if you don't want to play an interactive version of STARSHIP TROOPERS meets SAVING PRIVATE RYAN-INTRO!!!
I mean WTF!!! Who would not want to play that!!

ie: Pompous arseholes pick Killzone 2 to make a commentary about the lack of complex story-telling and excess of gratuitous language/violence in computer games!

edit: WTF the review is online!!! I thought I was special being British and able to read it in the magazine!!

TTP said:
I need to check this out, but I think allies don't trigger them anymore.

I am pretty sure they didn't trigger them before. But they could be killed by them if they were in the blast radius or if they threw a grenade/rocket at them.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
In any case, I hate mines and the likes. I HATE THEM. Especially when you can't spot them till you step on them. I should start a petition.

Allies can be killed if the C4 is triggered in their vacinity though.
Indifferent2.gif

Cruzader

Banned
This game has open mic for online play correct? Dont you guys think that was a bad decision? I remeber the beta and ppls kept talking over each other, hard to understand and the mic kept picking up background noises that were distracting too. If there wasn anything that should change fromt he game, it should be that.

andycapps

ChryZ said:
Yeah. Turrets are awesome surveillance devices, they easily expose back stabbing bastards and dilute the element of surprise.

Their line of sight is pretty good, but not as good as the player's eye. Headshot is an instant kill nevertheless, but don't expect to kill 20 people with one turret :p

Awesome, I can't wait to be playing online with everyone! It's going to be a blast. The 27th seems like it'll never come.

TTP said:

Ah, I love the C4. It is a nice suprise when you plant a bomb in Search and Destroy then put some C4 on top of the charge! But it is nice that it pretty much takes all 3 pieces of C4 to kill a person in one blast and you have to stay alive long enough to have them detonated . . .

andycapps

Riskbreaker23 said:
im glad i stuck to my guns and kept my amazon pre-order. get the same day as everyone else and $10 cheaper

Wat? Is this without signing up for some crappy program that I don't want/need? I'm ordering from them due to having a $30 gift certificate that I can put towards KZ2.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cruzader said:
This game has open mic for online play correct? Dont you guys think that was a bad decision? I remeber the beta and ppls kept talking over each other, hard to understand and the mic kept picking up background noises that were distracting too. If there wasn anything that should change fromt he game, it should be that.

Is there something you can do against background noises? Just got the Sony Bluetooth Headset. Totally digg it, but hearing delayed sounds over the headset from the game I am playing is a bit irritating (especially in coop games).

I think it should be possible to do a filter based on what the ps3 send to the speakers so that it is removed from the input of the mic. Thats should be in the XMB OS if you ask me.

Crisco

Banned
Tenkai Star said:
I think it should be possible to do a filter based on what the ps3 send to the speakers so that it is removed from the input of the mic. Thats should be in the XMB OS if you ask me.

The official PS3 bluetooth headset does that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
the_prime_mover said:
Ah, I love the C4. It is a nice suprise when you plant a bomb in Search and Destroy then put some C4 on top of the charge! But it is nice that it pretty much takes all 3 pieces of C4 to kill a person in one blast and you have to stay alive long enough to have them detonated . . .

I'm pretty sure they don't disappear if you die now. Much like un-tossed grenades.

Rolf NB

travisbickle said:
I read the Edge review!!

All I could make out was you won't like this game if you don't want to play an interactive version of STARSHIP TROOPERS meets SAVING PRIVATE RYAN-INTRO!!!
I mean WTF!!! Who would not want to play that!!

ie: Pompous arseholes pick Killzone 2 to make a commentary about the lack of complex story-telling and excess of gratuitous language/violence in computer games!

edit: WTF the review is online!!! I thought I was special being British and able to read it in the magazine!!
I think GAF has already heard of this review :lol
Check this one out too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351339

After my umpteenth playthough of the demo, I noticed that Sev's POV is very low to the ground. He feels like his 3 feet tall. Anyone else noticed this?

andycapps

The Wise Old Man said:
After my umpteenth playthough of the demo, I noticed that Sev's POV is very low to the ground. He feels like his 3 feet tall. Anyone else noticed this?

No, you're the first.
seems to be a common complaint, but I never noticed it at all

jester

Neo Member
I noticed that in the multiplayer videos, you have a health bar, and I'm guessing you don't regenerate health (unlike single player)? Is it possible to regenerate at all?

The Wise Old Man said:
look at his shadow, you will see why

DrPirate

Banned
jester said:
I noticed that in the multiplayer videos, you have a health bar, and I'm guessing you don't regenerate health (unlike single player)? Is it possible to regenerate at all?

You regenerate bits of the health bar back, but never the entire thing.

Say you get shot to 25% health, you heal back to 60%.

Only way to get back to 100% is to receive health pack

rexor0717

braimuge said:
Can anyone explain to me how sales make a game more fun?
They really don't have any effect on the fun. They can have an effect on the longevity of the online.
But most importantly, I want this game to sell because I am tired of people saying "PS3 ain't got games!" and other stupid things. I really doubt that KZ2 will shut them up, but it might just help.

Kittonwy

Banned
jester said:

You do regenerate health, just slowly so if you're in a gun fight you can't simply duck and regenerate during a one on one encounter if you're losing the battle.

dreamer3kx said:
Ive seen this in multiple reviews but they never mention which game looks better.:lol
i think it's some two year old PC game.

anyways, i'm really hoping to get FEAR 2 finished in time for Killzone 2. glad i've got that extra day off this weekend to focus on FEAR 2.

playing two games with great AI back to back is going to make me uber critical of games with dated AI for a few months. i can already sense it.

sales are important if you're hoping for a sequel with the same kind of big budget and oodles of polish as this looks to have based on the demo.

My other gripe is with the blood splattered health indicator thingy. It's getting to be an annoying cliche in games. Especially in an graphics heavy game like this where I WANT to see everything happening on the screen, the health blood splatter actually takes me out of the game rather than immersing me in it.

Sure, the game is decent, much like "Black," but it isn't the revolutionary leap forward that everyone is hyping it up to be. It's a snazzy looking FPS that rehashes all the conventions from the genre we've seen a bazillion times before:

-Washed out grey industrial setting
-Surly cursing space marines
-Insurmountable odds
-Fireballs

Not to compare it to that other exclusive FPS on a certain other console, but at least Halo had a bit of color to it. It doesn't matter how many objects are moving around on the screen, if a game insists on using that cliched bland color palette, that's a serious strike against it.

The Wise Old Man said:
-Insurmountable odds
-Fireballs
this DOES seem like reaching a bit.

who wants to play an action game with surmountable odds and no explosions?

you should have listed 'GUNS' too.

plagiarize said:
who wants to play an action game with surmountable odds and no explosions?

Valid point. Although it would be hilarious if the retail version was only 2 minutes longer than the demo and Sev says "hey that was easy!" and suddenly the game just ends. I'd love to see the pandemonium that would ensue on all the message boards.

zeloe326

The Wise Old Man said:
My other gripe is with the blood splattered health indicator thingy. It's getting to be an annoying cliche in games. Especially in an graphics heavy game like this where I WANT to see everything happening on the screen, the health blood splatter actually takes me out of the game rather than immersing me in it.

Sure, the game is decent, much like "Black," but it isn't the revolutionary leap forward that everyone is hyping it up to be. It's a snazzy looking FPS that rehashes all the conventions from the genre we've seen a bazillion times before:

-Insurmountable odds
-Fireballs

Not to compare it to that other exclusive FPS on a certain other console, but at least Halo had a bit of color to it. It doesn't matter how many objects are moving around on the screen, if a game insists on using that cliched bland color palette, that's a serious strike against it.

Where did you get your copy of the game, and how long did you take to finish it?

Top Bottom