• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bigdaddygamebot said:
Is there an EXACT way to find a GAF game?

No. You have to work you way through the list, sadly. There is no txt search feature. I usually just join fellow gaffers on friend's list/clan.

Alidar

Neo Member
The assault class is pretty much balanced on servers with friendly fire on, which I think is the way the game is intended to be played. You can't just randomly grenade spam a target area without fear of wiping out half of your allies in the process, or fire off rockets with reckless abandon because sometimes a teammate runs right in front of you as you fire. With friendly fire off, though, suicide runs into a mass of people and firing is very profitable xp.

I also prefer 16-person games to those with 32.

methane47

TTP said:
Just the last confrontation. Everything else is pretty doable. You have to change tactics tho.

Congrats ;)

Edit: am I the only one getting -988 error when I try to log in?

I'm getting 988s and heartbreaks right now too

{Mike}

Banned
wow, ok, i won't retype it so I'll just share my feelings here as posted on ps3 official forums ; (edit : it is completely HORRIBLE, I fucking hate the developers now for delivering an unstable product)

(...)

So far, Killzone 2 has been a massive disappointment for me. The single player experience is nothing new and even bored me for the most part (except the bridge mission), now I can't enjoy the multiplayer, the KEY selling point for this production. Before the patch I'd get occasional network errors and get very frustrated for not gaining points, and losing a lot by getting booted in the middle of a game. Now, I can't even get past the logging screen. Network Error Code -988, and I got so many different ones I had the feeling of being in a beta. This is unacceptable and I may very well just return my copy when Resident Evil 5 comes out next week. It's that bad. I just want to have fun online with my mate, and what's even more frustrating is how he has no problem and me, **bleep**, I'm bombarded by sick errors and whatnot.

So, that's what my $65 was for Guerilla? A lackluster campaign with one of the worst end level I've ever seen (fire the level designer please) and a multiplayer mode where you can only play against bots because the servers are worth nothing?

I hope it will get fixed, the mp is actually quite fun, it's just sad now. Reminds me of Phantasy Star Universe billing system errors.

Alidar said:
The assault class is pretty much balanced on servers with friendly fire on, which I think is the way the game is intended to be played. You can't just randomly grenade spam a target area without fear of wiping out half of your allies in the process, or fire off rockets with reckless abandon because sometimes a teammate runs right in front of you as you fire. With friendly fire off, though, suicide runs into a mass of people and firing is very profitable xp.

I also prefer 16-person games to those with 32.

Yeah I've brought that up before as well but there is no way of knowing if a game has FF on or off until you join and 90% of the pubic servers have it off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
{Mike} said:
wow, ok, i won't retype it so I'll just share my feelings here as posted on ps3 official forums ; (edit : it is completely HORRIBLE, I fucking hate the developers now for delivering an unstable product)
Just sell the game, not everyone likes everything. It doesn't sound like it's going to grow on you at all.

{Mike}

Banned
Anyone else feeling ripped off right now? Unstable online, only 8 maps, like 4 weapons, I'm fucking bored, fix this shit GG. It's fun but it's not when nothing works. Shit.

beast786

TTP said:

All thanks to you sir
7.gif

The classes are fine. It's all about acting as a team and having people play their roles. Both teams always have access to the same classes and guns and everything, it's not like one team has a ridiculous advantage over the other. People just love to complain.

Now, the real problem: can anyone connect to the servers at the moment?

jett

D-Member
{Mike} said:
Anyone else feeling ripped off right now? Unstable online, only 8 maps, like 4 weapons, I'm fucking bored, fix this shit GG. It's fun but it's not when nothing works. Shit.

Online seems fine to me. 4 weapons? wat, gain levels. 8 *awesome* maps.

{Mike}

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Just sell the game, not everyone likes everything. It doesn't sound like it's going to grow on you at all.

It's not I don't like it. I just find it extremely frustrating to pay big bucks for a videogame and nothing works online, the way I expected to be able to enjoy it the most after a 5 hours, mediocre campaign. Now, I can't even get past the logging screen. I understand humans are not devoid of errors, so I should expect downtimes. The problem here is GG didn't even comment the situation, and we're all waiting for the servers to go up so we can actually enjoy our investment. As I don't think Killzone 2 is extremely good like many of you do, network unstability is another hard blow. I dunno if I'll sell the game, but if the mp isn't fixed, I might as well do and stop bothering people about how shitty the support has been for the game.

{Mike} said:
So far, Killzone 2 has been a massive disappointment for me. The single player experience is nothing new and even bored me for the most part (except the bridge mission), now I can't enjoy the multiplayer, the KEY selling point for this production. Before the patch I'd get occasional network errors and get very frustrated for not gaining points, and losing a lot by getting booted in the middle of a game. Now, I can't even get past the logging screen. Network Error Code -988, and I got so many different ones I had the feeling of being in a beta. This is unacceptable and I may very well just return my copy when Resident Evil 5 comes out next week. It's that bad. I just want to have fun online with my mate, and what's even more frustrating is how he has no problem and me, **bleep**, I'm bombarded by sick errors and whatnot.So, that's what my $65 was for Guerilla? A lackluster campaign with one of the worst end level I've ever seen (fire the level designer please) and a multiplayer mode where you can only play against bots because the servers are worth nothing?I hope it will get fixed, the mp is actually quite fun, it's just sad now. Reminds me of Phantasy Star Universe billing system errors.

Hasn't it been established as a trend lately? Gears of War 2, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, hell even MGS4 have all had their issues with online stability and I can't imagine RE5 will be any different. I am not a huge fan of multiplayer in general so I don't rate it as being terribly important, but I most definitely remember R2's multiplayer and online co-op system much more frustrating.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
{Mike} said:
It's not I don't like it. I just find it extremely frustrating to pay big bucks for a videogame and nothing works online, the way I expected to be able to enjoy it the most after a 5 hours, mediocre campaign. Now, I can't even get past the logging screen. I understand humans are not devoid of errors, so I should expect downtimes. The problem here is GG didn't even comment the situation, and we're all waiting for the servers to go up so we can actually enjoy our investment. As I don't think Killzone 2 is extremely good like many of you do, network unstability is another hard blow. I dunno if I'll sell the game, but if the mp isn't fixed, I might as well do and stop bothering people about how shitty the support has been for the game.

what ISP do you have? along with router? like someone mentioned earlier, alot of time user configuration fucks up alot of online games.

{Mike}

Banned
jett said:
Online seems fine to me. 4 weapons? wat, gain levels. 8 *awesome* maps.

I know there's not only 4 weapons, it was a "joke". There's like 10 (sniper,pistol A, pistol B, knife, rocket launcher A, rocket launcher B, rifle, machinegun, shotgun, grenade launcher, etc.). But when you played games such as Perfect Dark or even the fucking Killzone 2 campaign, you'd expect more ; bolt gun, flamethrower, and so on. Oh wait, that's for DLC right? Yea, rip me more GG. I agree most of the 8 maps are good, but Pyrhus Rise? No.

{Mike} said:
I know there's not only 4 weapons, it was a "joke". There's like 10 (sniper,pistol A, pistol B, knife, rocket launcher A, rocket launcher B, rifle, machinegun, shotgun, grenade launcher, etc.). But when you played games such as Perfect Dark or even the fucking Killzone 2 campaign, you'd expect more ; bolt gun, flamethrower, and so on. Oh wait, that's for DLC right? Yea, rip me more GG. I agree most of the 8 maps are good, but Pyrhus Rise? No.

What were/are your expectations then?

Facism

{Mike} said:

it's been 1 week, and in the 20 or so hours i've put in, i've only had 2 games not complete. It's constantly stable and generally lagless.

Maybe it's your region that's the issue, as i'm in EU and it's like buttah.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the enjoyment or online stability you expected :(

Raist

Banned
{Mike} said:

Are you fucking kidding me ?

NinjaCodah said:
The classes are fine. It's all about acting as a team and having people play their roles. Both teams always have access to the same classes and guns and everything, it's not like one team has a ridiculous advantage over the other. People just love to complain.

My complaints aren't about one team gaining an advantage over another. I'm complaining about a class that turns games into ridiculously unfun clusterfucks and throws tactics completely out the window. FF on, they have to think before shooting because they can kill half their team with a rocket, FF off, they do nothing but spam rockets into groups or at objectives. I've said how I feel so I'll drop it.

I'm really liking the MP, so much so that I haven't even bothered with the SP yet. One question, when I completed the healing badge (throwing health packs with the medic) for some reason I unlocked boost for my medic, but I can't use it with the engineer. Do I need to unlock the secondary badge with the engineer first and then I can put boost on it? And what happens when I get the boost badge? What do I unlock then?

Edit: I'm getting -988 error now, what the hell is that?

{Mike} said:

I can't even play the single player campaign personally. My ps3 shuts itself off randomly when i play it. I tried everything (including disassembling my ps3 entirely to clean it up), but nope. I'm starting to think it could be my hard disk maybe. It's not overheating, it only shuts itself off and i can't really play like this because it's ridiculously annoying. It sucks because i was enjoying whatever part of the single player campaign I had played (even on veteran).

However, the multiplayer (when not giving me error 988) always worked very well. I've had the same crash as in single player, but only twice over about 14hours of play. I previously had networking problems before with other games (i have a linksys wireless router), but found the little guide online to properly assign your ports and all. I never had any connection problems since.

If you are in a game, dont leave. There is a -988 code everyone is getting trying to play an online games.

They say over on the official Playstation Forums it is a server update? Anyways, sounds weird, but you cannot log in right now to play KZ2 online if you are not already in a game.

I am getting the -988 error right now as well, just trying to play ANY game online.

EDIT, Its back up. Supposedly for the weekly rewards. Maybe you can check now if you got a ribbon or trophy for the week.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hey guys why can't Killzone 2 play through my surround sounds setup? I have a 5.1 surround sound Phillps HTiB system and everytime the game starts up it says "Not support".

But I can play all my other games and Blu-ray movies through the surround sound system. Is there something Killzone 2 specific that I have to do to make it work?

Did anybody else have this problem?

F#A#Oo

Banned
{Mike} said:
I might as well do and stop bothering people about how shitty the support has been for the game.

Hmm...I was with you till you said this. They have supported the game fine since release. We've had 2 patches that fixed online connection issues and freezing and as well as other stuff.

I don't think their support can be disputed they have listened and taken action.

If your currently having connection issues you can join the rest of us as their doing stuff atm.

dazed808

I'm having a really odd stats glitch. Since Thurs when I unlocked Sab. i've been doing much better then previously in each match and getting more kills than deaths in all but 5 or 6 games but for some reason my deaths total always stays 230 ahead of my kills:(
Thought this may of just been me thinking I had got better and not remembering the shit games I had but the last 2 nights I've been keeping a mental note of roughly how far ahead my kills have been yet the total stays at 230 difference!
Anyways gonna post a question over on killzone.com if I can get the bloody thing to load - or should I pm someone direct there rather than get lost in the sea of posts??

Edit: Ok just searched over there and I'm not the only one, seems a few others are having similar probs

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Hm, I thought I'd get that some kinda top 10%. I'm ranked somewhere around 26000, and I kinda thought there'd be at least 260000 players this week :/

Boss Man

3rdamention said:
Go check and see if you got the weekly trophy for any of the weekly stats. I guess that is why the servers went down.

Well...they are reset, but apparently no one got any of their weekly honors. Good job!

test_account

XP-39C²
ItsInMyVeins said:
Hm, I thought I'd get that some kinda top 10%. I'm ranked somewhere around 26000, and I kinda thought there'd be at least 260000 players this week :/
Ye, me too, but there seems to be something wrong i think :\ Checking at the ranking leaderboards, no one there (at least not in the top 20) have any special ranking.

JB1981

I really fucking hate spawn invincibility. The tactic would never fly if you spawned and got fucked up. It ruins search and destroy games. Hate it.

@ shearie sorry for getting pissy about no one using tactician class, wasn't aimed at you at all. Good game.

KZObsessed

StateofMind said:
Well...they are reset, but apparently no one got any of their weekly honors. Good job!

This better be fucking temporary otherwise I'll have missed out on them 2 weeks in a row coz they messed up. I was in top 0.5% this week and I want my Gold trophy >_<

edit: if you look at the weekly rankings now it says there's only 348 pages so 3480 players that played this week instead of the 440,000 it was previously...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So has anybody else had problems with Killzone 2 playing through their surround sound system?

test_account

XP-39C²
FFObsessed said:
This better be fucking temporary otherwise I'll have missed out on them 2 weeks in a row coz they messed up. I was in top 0.5% this week and I want my Gold trophy >_<
Did they mess up the first week? It seemed to work fine then, at least for me :)

{Mike} said:

you know, there are actual legit reasons to not have 50 guns in a multiplayer title.

JB1981

Next time we play I am going to experiment with friendly fire. It will change the dynamics of the gameplay. It can also be infuriating because you lose points when retards run into the middle of your line of sight and you kill them because of it. I would like to see how it changes the game, though - will likely make it more tactical and people will be less trigger happy.

I agree that Assault in a noFF match is a pretty unbalanced character when in tighter areas. I remember a situation where I was playing as a Sab and was right up in an Assault's face. He launches a rocket behind me and I die but he doesn't. This was after I had already unloaded a significant amount into his body.

Plus if I take a hit as any other class my maximum health is reduced to less than 100%. This is fine as it adds an element to continued survival. However the Assault gets 200% armor and always regenerates to 125%. This doesn't seem right. If he gets the bonus at the beginning why does he keep getting it?

I like boost. I think it is a great perk, and probably my most often used secondary ability. It fits great with most classes and I don't think it should be removed at all. Perhaps the boost pill could reduce the Assualt's overall health to 75% while the pill is in affect, and afterwards the Assault would only regen to 125% even if they didn't take any hits before or during the use of the pill.

The GL is overpowered. I don't know if they should reduce the damage, reduce the ammo capacity or increase the fuse (and remove the contact detonation), but as it is the GL is the most destructive weapon in smaller areas and it shoots very quickly. If FF was on then it would be a different situation.

Perhaps the Assault could be limited to the LMG class of weapons in a noFF match and have accesss to the rockets and GL in FF matches . . .

KZObsessed

test_account said:
Did they mess up the first week? It seemed to work fine then, at least for me :)

Yeah, I should have gotten the top 3% one that week and got nothing. Someone said they only counted the points that people got on the Sunday and that's why. There was a guy in 7th place on the leaderboard who got nothing that week. Sucks to be him I guess :lol

JB1981 said:
Next time we play I am going to experiment with friendly fire. It will change the dynamics of the gameplay. It can also be infuriating because you lose points when retards run into the middle of your line of sight and you kill them because of it. I would like to see how it changes the game, though - will likely make it more tactical and people will be less trigger happy.

Count me in. I would love to see more FF and team-balanced servers pop up. I think it is a great way to seperate the dedicated from the casual. It should also make the pace of the game a bit slower. If GG removes spawn invincibility then the FF server would be about ideal.

Ploid 3.0

Any tips for air support kills? They seem to have a mind of their own, and aren't fast acting enough to kill anything. I want to assign a better sub badge to tactician but I have to figure out this air support to get the combine ability. It seems like there are levels to their aggressiveness. I figure the closer the enemy got to the beacon the more likely the air support will shoot at them. The thing with air support is that it has to do a fancy line up before it shoots it seem.

Fly >adjust > rattatta > rattatta > target moved > fly > fly > adjust (blam air suport is blown up).

I seen one chase some poor guy down, it was right after I used the scan on scout. It made me think the bots were made aware of the guy's presence. It couldn't have been the case though. I used it over and over to watch them chase people. Didn't happen again.

careful

I love this game, but without a party system and broken team balancing, it's still somewhat frustrating to play with friends.. I can only play with friends if I uncheck auto-balance, and then 90% of the time you get one team overwhelmingly stacked vs the other. For example, in a 16p game, when a team reaches 8, force anyone else to join the other team! It's that simple.
However, I'm encouraged by the fact that there's been two updates in two weeks and the developers seem to be listening to the feedback (with a few of them even checking in on this 200km/h thread).

tiddles et al. if you are reading this, one feature I'd like to request:
Please set a "green zone" for spawn grenades to limit them further away from enemy camp and objectives. As it is, a lot of games result in major clusterfucks outside base camps and objectives. This feature is already implemented for assassination so hopefully it's not too much rework to implement something similar for spawn grenade. And I say this as someone who plays primarily tactician. ;)

I'm glad you guys are reading this thread since there's some really legit balance complaints being discussed here that would undoubtedly improve the online experience. Maybe someone here can poll together all the major complaints into one list for easier access by the dev team.

Top Bottom