• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

oneHeero

GodofWine said:
What's GAF's take on the auto-aim exploit debate thats raging at KZ forums.

Personally, I think its exploitable, but its such a plain in the ass to play constantly tapping zoom that I think it will go away..or they'll tweak it out.

But there is a growing line of complainers there asking ALL aim assist to be removed, frankly I think that will break the game...we are not as good at aiming as we all think we are, this I promise :lol

...oh...and Pyrus is being ruined by snipers...like big time, I refuse to play it now.
I wasnt aware of this at all. How do people even access kz.com? Its always fucken down.

methane47 said:
Hold up a second... Soo you are telling me in Halo3 that you can go into a server browser and find a game named GAF without having any of the players in your friends list?

I didn't say anything about Halo 3 but as far as I can remember, you can send invites to custom games to any gamertag and you can send an invite to a party to any gamertag, regardless of whether or not they are in your friends list. Someone more familiar with the system could tell you whether or not you can invite an entire party to a custom game. I don't remember

The fact that custom games were never able to be broadcast to the public was always a problem with Halo 3's system but it was definitely easier to get together with friends and play together on the same team in even games.

GodofWine

oneHeero said:
I wasnt aware of this at all. How do people even access kz.com? Its always fucken down.

True, good point. Youtube 'Killzone Aim', you will find something. I personally think its being overblown. It doesn't work very well on a moving target.

KZ.com is slowly getting better.

tiddles

GodofWine said:
But there is a growing line of complainers there asking ALL aim assist to be removed, frankly I think that will break the game...we are not as good at aiming as we all think we are, this I promise :lol

If you want to know what it would feel like without any auto-aim, I believe the Medic Gun doesn't have any... the zoom assist exploit is a different matter, however.

andycapps

Honestly I think the aim assist in everything is fine. I don't have any problem with how it works. Any harder and it's going to completely limit the audience this is intended for. It has to be a hard game to master, but not completely frustrating for new players.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
andycapps said:
Honestly I think the aim assist in everything is fine. I don't have any problem with how it works. Any harder and it's going to completely limit the audience this is intended for. It has to be a hard game to master, but not completely frustrating for new players.

Honestly I don't think you know what people are referring.

JB1981

gregor7777 said:
:lol

Guys, it's OK to admit the competition has a leg up on you in some regard. The networks, at this level at least, serve an identical function: Matching players up to play multiplayer games over a network.

That PSN/KZ2 is missing some features, that have been implemented and work on another network, isn't a slight to PSN. They just need to catch up. When similar games launch on PSN and they are missing what has become mainstream, people are going to point it out. It's just an area they need to address at some point.

PSN is behind Live in several areas. It's OK, the network is quite a bit younger. Also, Microsoft is a software company.

Pointing out that PSN is a different service doesn't make a lot of sense when they share the same goal (again, at this level). There are missing features. Some of what 1up was saying there is perfectly valid.

True.

oneHeero

andycapps said:
That part is fine, but I am assuming there is a exploit for like a aim assist like the shotgun had. From what I gather by GodoWine post, you zoom in and out kinda quickly and it auto-targets your enemy letting you aim a lot easier if you just keep zooming in and out.

andycapps

SnakeXs said:
Honestly I don't think you know what people are referring.

I know what they're referring to, but I can't watch the youtube videos here at work so haven't seen it yet. From people's reactions it sounds like doing it would give you a seizure and would be harder than just aiming yourself instead of glitching the game into doing it for you.

I'm referring to the "soft auto-aim" when you're firing from the hip with a shotgun, assault rifle, smg, etc. I think that is perfect now. It doesn't do the aiming for you, but it does provide that little bit of assistance that is necessary when you're using a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse.

andycapps said:
I'm referring to the "soft auto-aim" when you're firing from the hip with a shotgun, assault rifle, smg, etc. I think that is perfect now. It doesn't do the aiming for you, but it does provide that little bit of assistance that is necessary when you're using a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse.
*Co-signs*

oneHeero

andycapps said:
I know what they're referring to, but I can't watch the youtube videos here at work so haven't seen it yet. From people's reactions it sounds like doing it would give you a seizure and would be harder than just aiming yourself instead of glitching the game into doing it for you.

No offense, this might sound db of me, but they arent referring to the auto-aim within the game, just the glitch from zooming in and out really quickly. That's what GodoWine is referring to only. I think everyone agrees the aiming in this game is awesome, perfect mix of auto-aim and allowing the user to aim.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got the "Untouchable" trophy earlier today :) I first thought that i had to beat the game from the start to the finish without dying, but i then discovered that under "Mission Select" that it said how many times you had died least at each section of the levels. I guessed it was enough to just play these parts where i had died again, and not die now, and this was the case :)

Yesterday i got the "Heroric Survivor" trohpy for beating the game on the Elite difficulty level :) Some of the parts in the game was pretty though i must say, especially the last boss. I guess i must have tried maybe somewhere around 200 times on
the 2nd wave of enemies, the part from when the balcony doors opens until that flying thingie comes crashing into the window.

The thing that i had the most problem with were when the Helghast were running up to the balcony. The reason why i tried so many times is because i couldnt find a good enough technique to take ou the Helghast soldiers without dying. I tried serveral of techinques, but in the end i finally found a technique that worked the best for me. Instead of running up to the balcony at once, i just stood behind the "block" (or what i shall call it) in the middle of the room. I then made sure that no Helghast soldiers ran on the sides or behind me. Maybe other people have already mention this technique in this thread, but i havnt read all the posts, so i havnt seen anyone mention this before, sorry :\

I used the flame thrower, and when i was out of ammo, then i ran up to the balcony. After this, i went to the top left corner (near the stairs) and killed the enemies that ran up the stairs, and then i grabbed the sniper rifle to take out the RPG Helghasts :)

Since i tried so many times on the last boss on the Elite difficulty, i had to brag alittle about getting this trophy :)

Now i only need to get the #4 Weekly Ranking trophy, and then i have all the gold trophies, unless there are some gold trophies behind some of the "?" trophies, but please dont tell me, i want to find it out for myself :)

EDIT: I added some text.

DeeVoc

Neo Member
andycapps said:
It definitely needs some work, but most of the people on 1UP don't play on PSN much at all so they're not familiar with how it normally works. If they'd all played Killzone 2 as much as they play GoW2 online they'd probably be able to easily see each other online, one of them join a game and the others follow. Yeah, it needs a party system but there's obviously ways to get around this now, even if they're not ideal. I'm sure GG has heard the grumblings and I expect that issue to be addressed.

Still, there's no easy way to say, "<friend> just signed on, let me ask him to jump in my game" or "hey, I've got 3 friends online, lets party up so we can jump into a game together".

Both of these scenarious require using the ds3 to type out messages, creating your own room and waiting for it to fill, or hammering the join button to get in full game a friend is in. The only success I've had getting together with muliple people is utilizing other forms of communication besides PSN (forums, irc, IM, etc). What the game/xmb really needs is:

Invite friend: Sends xmb message to friend, they respond and get pulled into your game and squad. If the game is full it queues them to join, if the squad is full it just drops them into your match on your side

Join friend: Should function as it does now with the queue and squad features I just listed

Form party: Just like in COD I should be able to group with friends and move from match to match entact.

I don't see how anyone could defend not having these simple features.

andycapps

oneHeero said:
No offense, this might sound db of me, but they arent referring to the auto-aim within the game, just the glitch from zooming in and out really quickly. That's what GodoWine is referring to only. I think everyone agrees the aiming in this game is awesome, perfect mix of auto-aim and allowing the user to aim.

Understood, and agreed. :D

DeeVoc said:
Still, there's no easy way to say, "<friend> just signed on, let me ask him to jump in my game" or "hey, I've got 3 friends online, lets party up so we can jump into a game together".

Both of these scenarious require using the ds3 to type out messages, creating your own room and waiting for it to fill, or hammering the join button to get in full game a friend is in. The only success I've had getting together with muliple people is utilizing other forms of communication besides PSN (forums, irc, IM, etc). What the game/xmb really needs is:

Invite friend: Sends xmb message to friend, they respond and get pulled into your game and squad. If the game is full it queues them to join, if the squad is full it just drops them into your match on your side

Join friend: Should function as it does now with the queue and squad features I just listed

Form party: Just like in COD I should be able to group with friends and move from match to match entact.

I think those features would be great. I'd definitely like to have those in there. What is there is workable, but sometimes inconvenient.

Aladuf

Banned
test_account said:
I got the "Untouchable" trophy earlier today :) I first thought that i had to beat the game from the start to the finish without dying, but i then discovered that under "Mission Select" that it said how many times you had died least at each section of the levels. I guessed it was enough to just play these parts where i had died again, and not die now, and this was the case :)
I was trying to do this yesterday too, I basically am only going to have to play one mission out of each level for the first half of the game and then two or three in each of the later levels. When I was doing it though, I'd load up the section and then never know where to stop. When I tried doing a mission that I needed, it went through a couple of save points and then I completed the current objective so I figured that I'd probably gotten through to the end of that section. Turns out I was wrong, I went back to the mission selection and it still said that I had a death for that section, in other words, I didn't actually finish the section I was just doing because when I did it, I didn't have any deaths.

Does anybody know if there's a way to tell when you've finished one section and moved onto the next? It tells you exactly that on the Tharsis Refinery level, but that's the only one.

test_account

XP-39C²
Aladuf said:
I was trying to do this yesterday too, I basically am only going to have to play one mission out of each level for the first half of the game and then two or three in each of the later levels. When I was doing it though, I'd load up the section and then never know where to stop. When I tried doing a mission that I needed, it went through a couple of save points and then I completed the current objective so I figured that I'd probably gotten through to the end of that section. Turns out I was wrong, I went back to the mission selection and it still said that I had a death for that section, in other words, I didn't actually finish the section I was just doing because when I did it, I didn't have any deaths.
Ye, this happend to me one time as well. I was playing through a part of a mission, i thought i had completed that part and moved over to the next part, so i just quit the game. But when i check in the "Mission Select" menu i see that i still had 1 death in this part of the level.

Aladuf said:
Does anybody know if there's a way to tell when you've finished one section and moved onto the next? It tells you exactly that on the Tharsis Refinery level, but that's the only one.
I am not 100% sure if this is an accurate way, but lets say that you shall play part 2 of a level. Then you can maybe load up part 3 first and see where this part begins. Then you can go back to play part 2 again, and play upto the point where part 3 starts. Or perhaps play alittle past were the part 3 starts, just to be on the safe side that you have completed part 2.

But i am not 100% sure that this is an accurate way of doing it, and it might be abit of a hassle to load up several of parts of the game just to see where these part starts in the level, but maybe it could be worth a try :)

JudgeN

DeeVoc said:

These features would be great, except then every game turns into a unbalanced shitfest. KZ2 seems to be model after TF2 and it has none of these features either. I just don't see how this is possible without killing the game balance.

Aladuf

Banned
test_account said:
I am not 100% sure if this is an accurate way, but lets say that you shall play part 2 of a level. Then you can maybe load up part 3 first and see where this part begins. Then you can go back to play part 2 again, and play upto the point where part 3 starts. Or perhaps play alittle past were the part 3 starts, just to be on the safe side that you have completed part 2.

But i am not 100% sure that this is an accurate way of doing it, and it might be abit of a hassle to load up several of parts of the game just to see where these part starts in the level, but maybe it could be worth a try :)
I never thought of doing that, good idea. I'm definitely just going to do this each time now because while it might be a little hassle to load up the next mission each time, it's still not as much of a hassle to play what you need to play and then find out that you have to do it all over again because you didn't actually finish. Thanks for the tip.

oneHeero

JudgeN said:
These features would be great, except then every game turns into a unbalanced shitfest. KZ2 seems to be model after TF2 and it has none of these features either. I just don't see how this is possible without killing the game balance.
Same way it would be if you made a custom game and left auto balance off.

EVERY game should be modeled after Resistance 1. It had the perfect online setup, I dont think any other game did/does it better(not pc).

Has party option where you can just chat and type in
Matchmaking for party
Join custom game as party
Make custom game while in party and take the whole party to it
In game messaging
In game friend list
In game PSN list
Tons of modes
Search is really easy
Custom games are highlighted green if your friend is in there
Custom games are highlighted blue if a clan member is in there
Spectator mode
Screen Capture
PERFECT voice system ie. Squads
GREAT clan system but it could be more in depth
Players met within the game so you can actually befriend people within the game ONLY which was awesome
Lobby System
Regular Matchmaking

All I want in Killzone is a party option, would be nice to have matchmaking but not needed, I rather have lobbies over matchmaking but would definately prefer both. If you could have a party system it would be nice since it would be easy to group everyone in the party and than make a custom and allow people to enter it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Aladuf said:
I never thought of doing that, good idea. I'm definitely just going to do this each time now because while it might be a little hassle to load up the next mission each time, it's still not as much of a hassle to play what you need to play and then find out that you have to do it all over again because you didn't actually finish. Thanks for the tip.
No problem! :) Ye, that is true, it might be more of a hassle to play like maybe 5-10 minutes and then realize that you havnt gotten past a part in the game, and then you would have to replay it instead of using something around 30 seconds or so to load up the next mission :)

Another thing that might be a thing to look for is to see how much time you have used to complete a part. If it says that you have used for example 10 minutes to complete a part, then you can play the game for about 10 minutes again, and then you might have gotten past the part.

This might not be a very accurate way of doing it though, since you might use a shorter or a longer time on a part depending on when you are playing and on which difficulty level you are playing on. So i guess that loading up the next mission each time to see where the parts in the mission starts might be a better thing to do :)

EDIT: I added some text.

So I listened to 1UP's Good Grief. They played Killzone2 with random users. Well and I shit you not, but 1UP still sucks at PS3.

Quotes:

"starting up Killzone2 and trying to play a game with users just reminded me why I never play multi player games on PS3" Huuuhh?????

"What Killzone2 definitely needs, I think they're coming out with an update, but hopefully it will includes something to help people to find their friends in a match" R1 you idiot, or click on the tab that says FRIENDS!

"... it doesn't show you who's online playing Killzone" OH GOD did you even play the game?

"there is no invite system" ok I'll give you that!

"when you create a game there is no way for me to boot people, so it was hard to make sure anyone was a 1UP user" read the fucking manual or actually play the game, it's Square!

[talking about the controls] "but that's like punching a retarded kid, making fun of the PS3 controller for shooters" hur hur hur hur I LOVE MISTER CHIEF!

Yep, they had it all covered. Ignorance is bliss. BUT they still had fun as it seems :p

fucking tards.

DeeVoc

Neo Member
Rapping Granny said:
fucking tards.

I'll give them the "can't see friends" thing in that you can only see who's in MP. It'd be nice to expand that to who's playing any mode of KZ, but since there's no invite system it's not possible right now.

And yes, coming from xbl to psn is always jarring when you try to play with multiple friends. I understand that sony has made some internal shifts to integrate platforms and products into PSN, but there's always an inherent different in designing a platform with a purpose in mind (ease of social play) versus developing a system and then deciding on a different direction later on in it's lifespan.

oneHeero said:
Just wanna say you were beast in the games last night.

Oh stop it, your making me blush.

You were great too.

BTW 1up.

2iav6yo.jpg

DeeVoc said:
I'll give them the "can't see friends" thing in that you can only see who's in MP. It'd be nice to expand that to who's playing any mode of KZ, but since there's no invite system it's not possible right now.

And yes, coming from xbl to psn is always jarring when you try to play with multiple friends. I understand that sony has made some internal shifts to integrate platforms and products into PSN, but there's always an inherent different in designing a platform with a purpose in mind (ease of social play) versus developing a system and then deciding on a different direction later on in it's lifespan.

They said this "... it doesn't show you who's online playing Killzone" , yes it does show you who's online playing killzone and it show you the room they are in, and that's you how you join a friend's game.

But yes, there is no telling if they are playing MP or SP, I always thought that if it shows they are in a room, then they are playing MP, simple as that.

icechai

DeeVoc said:

don't know why its not possible, it shows for Little Big Planet what world they're playing AND how many people they're playing with in the XMB!

EazyB

Banned
The only site I go to for the real, unbiased facts is the Playstation blog. They're the only one that really know what's up.

Everyone else is moneyhatted.

oneHeero

Rapping Granny said:
Oh stop it, your making me blush.

You were great too.

K/D-wise I was able to keep up with you with no problem, but the amount of points you put up whether it was a win or loss was staggering. You are probably the best gaffer I've played with. I've never seen you whore any weapon or sit back and try to tack up kills. Your always going for the objective and maintain a good k/d in each round. Was very fun to play with you oand on your team.

I will be sending you a psn later if your cool w/ that.

EazyB said:
The only site I go to for the real, unbiased facts is the Playstation blog. They're the only one that really know what's up.

WHAT? Teamxbox is definitely where it's at, and Major Nelson podcast is still to this day one of the best.

And yes Heero, I am cool wid it!

andycapps

Rapping Granny said:
They said this "... it doesn't show you who's online playing Killzone" , yes it does show you who's online playing killzone and it show you the room they are in, and that's you how you join a friend's game.

But yes, there is no telling if they are playing MP or SP, I always thought that if it shows they are in a room, then they are playing MP, simple as that.

That's what it does, it just doesn't show in your in game friends list if they're playing single player. If that's such a big deal you can bring up your XMB and see that they're playing Killzone 2 and notice that they're not in the in-games friends list, obviously they're playing single player.

EazyB

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
WHAT? Teamxbox is definitely where it's at.
Well there is a point where you get so unbiased you in turn become biased. Such magnitudes of unbiased plagues Team Xbox much like Fox News.

andycapps said:
That's what it does, it just doesn't show in your in game friends list if they're playing single player. If that's such a big deal you can bring up your XMB and see that they're playing Killzone 2 and notice that they're not in the in-games friends list, obviously they're playing single player.
Is it possible to join a friend's game directly from the XMB? I know you can't do so in KZ2 but is the infrastructure there in other games?

.GqueB.

Banned
How in gods name do you people stay alive in these games? I always tend to be 1:1 whenever I play with you guys. I just cant keep my ass alive it seems. Especially on radec and gracht where saboteurs are pretty much everywhere.

I look at the stats and I see Thirdengn with a 2:1 KD and Im just like "...how?"

Last night I quit that one game in Radec. I couldnt even keep up. It was a sad sad day. Then of course I went back down to my level and had that 2:1 but I hate playing in random rooms. It really does just turn into a death match. I thought you guys were exaggerating about assault but people were actually running into groups and shooting at the ground. It was jarring to say the least.

andycapps

EazyB said:
Is it possible to join a friend's game directly from the XMB? I know you can't do so in KZ2 but is the infrastructure there in other games?

Nope. Not yet anyway. I'd assume that's coming at some point to PS3 games in general if the game launching will be there from Home. Supposedly back in the day they said you'd be able to do all of the main Home functions like that directly from the XMB if you didn't want to go into Home. But that was back with Phil Harrison was there, so God knows what changed since then.

AKS

You guys weren't kidding about Elite being very tough. I thought the difficulty may have been overrated having only played through the first few areas, but now that I'm midway through it's been getting quite challenging. I hate that f***ing ATAC and can't imagine how difficult the last level will be. Many areas that were such a breeze on normal are quite tough now.

YoungHav

Banned
oneHeero said:
EVERY game should be modeled after Resistance 1.
I'm going to spam message boards with "OMG online sUx!! Should copy Resistance 1!!!", hopefully within 6 days they'll cave in.

:lol @ 1up Good Grief. Can't game journalists sometimes step back and realize they're acting fanboyish? Hahahaha what game are they playing?

EazyB

Banned
andycapps said:
Nope. Not yet anyway. I'd assume that's coming at some point to PS3 games in general if the game launching will be there from Home. Supposedly back in the day they said you'd be able to do all of the main Home functions like that directly from the XMB if you didn't want to go into Home. But that was back with Phil Harrison was there, so God knows what changed since then.
Wow, stuff like this should be a priority. PSN isn't as hard to use as 1up makes it out to be but the inconsistencies from game to game and lack of basic features makes it seem that hard for people that are accustomed to XBL's ease of use.

.GqueB. said:
Then of course I went back down to my level and had that 2:1 but I hate playing in random rooms. It really does just turn into a death match. I thought you guys were exaggerating about assault but people were actually running into groups and shooting at the ground. It was jarring to say the least.

Playing last night in the GAF games reminded me how awesome the game really can be. Public games are hit and miss... mostly miss.

Yeah I don't get why Killzone doesn't have that feature, since Socom, LBP and other had it.

I loved how Socom uses it because it tells you the server name, the mode and the amount of people still playing in it.

I hope it gets patched.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
We have TWO challenges today.

One starts in 30 mins (6PM GMT) - 8vs8
The next one 2hrs after the one above (8PM GMT) - 3vs3

.GqueB.

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Playing last night in the GAF games reminded me how awesome the game really can be. Public games are hit and miss... mostly miss.
Yea and the misses are MISSES. I joined a game with a few dudes last night and I was around them during a battle. One of em gets lit up by like three enemies and says to me "c'mon get me up n***a". And I respond "sure let me take down these three guys that just shot your face off" and he got all pissy.

So its either deal with that or get raped in gaf games. Decisions decisions.

YoungHav

Banned
.GqueB. said:
Yea and the misses are MISSES. I joined a game with a few dudes last night and I was around them during a battle. One of em gets lit up by like three enemies and says to me "c'mon get me up n***a". And I respond "sure let me take down these three guys that just shot your face off" and he got all pissy.
LMAO!!! :lol

Dante

I'm finding myself as I get more accustomed to the game switching classes a lot more based on map choices, and current objectives.

Arnie

EazyB said:
Wow, stuff like this should be a priority. PSN isn't as hard to use as 1up makes it out to be but the inconsistencies from game to game and lack of basic features makes it seem that hard for people that are accustomed to XBL's ease of use.
Agreed.

I am buying Socom on Friday which has the exact server name, player limit and score in the description on the XMB. KZ2 already has that pretty much ingame, however it doesn't hurt to provide some external indication of what a player is up to from the XMB. All I want is 1 on 1 private chat as out of my group of friends, only 1 has a PS3 and I would love to be able to play Socom whilst hcatting to him as he is tossing about in LBP or KZ2 etc. This is where I feel PSN is lagging for me.

On a more KZ related keel, Scout is a beast, I love Scout.

I think whoever makes the gaf games (beamber?) should get Blood Gracht out of the rotation. I'm sure it's a fine map for 8 or 10, but with 20+ players it's a clusterfuck.

Nizz

Ok, I'm an idiot with the Sabateur. I would run into the enemy teams' area and would get gunned down quick. What the hell, I'm a Sab, how'd they realize so quick I was an enemy?

When I play as a Scout, I know to press left on the d-pad to go into cloak mode. But I always thought that when you played as the Sabateur, you would automatically take on the look of a player from the other team. I discovered left on the d-pad with that class. I press it. Your view is surrounded with a black kind of tint, indicating to you you are disguised...

*smacks forehead*

Top Bottom