• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ChryZ said:
So I listened to 1UP's Good Grief. They played Killzone2 with random users. Well and I shit you not, but 1UP still sucks at PS3.

Quotes:

"starting up Killzone2 and trying to play a game with users just reminded me why I never play multi player games on PS3"

"What Killzone2 definitely needs, I think they're coming out with an update, but hopefully it will includes something to help people to find their friends in a match"

"... it doesn't show you who's online playing Killzone"

"there is no invite system"

"when you create a game there is no way for me to boot people, so it was hard to make sure anyone was a 1UP user"

[talking about the controls] "but that's like punching a retarded kid, making fun of the PS3 controller for shooters"

Yep, they had it all covered. Ignorance is bliss. BUT they still had fun as it seems :p
So yeah,then GAF cries like a little girl when those guys are fired?
I dont get it really. :mad:

I'm about half-way through the campaign, and I have enjoyed ever moment of it. So brutal, so aggressive, so brilliant... Easily one of the best FSP experiences I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. The multiplayer is kicking ass as well, replacing Halo 3 as my favourite online FPS ( for now, at least ).

KZ2 has really exceeded my expectations.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lé Blade Runner said:
I'm about half-way through the campaign, and I have enjoyed ever moment of it. So brutal, so aggressive, so brilliant... Easily one of the best FSP experiences I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. The multiplayer is kicking ass as well, replacing Halo 3 as my favourite online FPS ( for now, at least ).

KZ2 has really exceeded my expectations.
I like the AI, i think it adds so much to the experience.

BeeDog

dk_ said:
Thanks. :)

Anyone interested to do some badges in a 2 player game?

PSN: dkwhip

Just add me, I'm online right now.

I'm up for it! Need some knife/melee badges, I'm adding you on PSN now, but let's discuss stuff in PM's!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Graphically the game is great... my eyes need to adjust to the motion blur used and my aim needs to be much faster... I had to quit playing the game yesterday night (not even finished the first level) as I was getting a bit sick while playing it... still the feeling of an intense battle going on around you and that you are just one man in the field is really frighteningly incredibly awesome as far as video-games go.

This is the first game that gave me such an effect... it is really a different kind of FPS...

The only thing I cannot stand about Killzone 2 is the use of L3 to run (pressing the stick while holding it forward does not feel right... :()...

BeeDog

Panajev2001a: you know that you only have to click on L3 once while moving to run? ;)

EDIT: Alright since dk_ left me in the cold, anyone up to hoard some headshot/sidearm/knife/melee ribbons? I'd be really grateful.

PSN: BeeDog

I also have a question; let's say I play on a TDM server. Is it possible to get several ribbons in one round? Take the Melee badge for example, apparently it's 5 melee kills for one ribbon, but if I melee someone like 15 times, does it count as 3 ribbons, or do I have to get each one in separate rounds?

BeeDog said:
Panajev2001a: you know that you only have to click on L3 once while moving to run? ;)

EDIT: Alright since dk_ left me in the cold, anyone up to hoard some headshot/sidearm/knife/melee ribbons? I'd be really grateful.

I also have a question; let's say I play on a TDM server. Is it possible to get several ribbons in one round? Take the Melee badge for example, apparently it's 5 melee kills for one ribbon, but if I melee someone like 15 times, does it count as 3 ribbons, or do I have to get each one in separate rounds?

One ribbon of each kind per game. But you can get several ribbons per game.

BeeDog said:

From my own experience you only get one ribbon per type per match.

Cagen

Raist said:
Seems incredibly low to me. I mean, it must be way more than this, doesn't it?

Sounds about right, going from the weekly leader boards there are about 450,000 people that log online - add another 100,000 or so that don't go online for what ever reason. I estimated by the end of the first week they had sold just over 500,000, seems I was spot on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BeeDog said:

I know... but in the rush that the battlefield gives you even one click of that darn stick is a click too many :p.

methane47

BeeDog said:

IMHO TDM only matches are the worst way to get most ribbons... There simply isn't enough time..

I suggest you find a pistols only match that has EVERY mission type.. that way you have an entire 45minutes or so to get your ribbons instead of 10-15. So go pistols only for pistol ribbon, melee ribbon, S&D ribbon, S&R ribbon etc etc...

andycapps

Finally got ranked up to Lieutenant so I have the Engineer now. Tried for a while to get in the Beamber game but was full every time I tried. So I just started joining random games, and it seems like i'm having a harder and harder time ranking up the more I rank off. Need to change those search options so I can keep playing noobs. :lol

Fersis

Panajev2001a said:
I know... but in the rush that the battlefield gives you even one click of that darn stick is a click too many :p.
Im not exagerating when i say that L3 to run is the worst that happened to gaming.:lol
Check R2 control layout, that is the perfect layout for a FPS.

DMeisterJ

Banned
methane47 said:
IMHO TDM only matches are the worst way to get most ribbons... There simply isn't enough time..

I suggest you find a pistols only match that has EVERY mission type.. that way you have an entire 45minutes or so to get your ribbons instead of 10-15. So go pistols only for pistol ribbon, melee ribbon, S&D ribbon, S&R ribbon etc etc...

Listen to this man!

You will not be able to get a few badges playing body count only. Playing Warzone will help you tons. Five kills with a turret is impossible in warzone, as is five kills with the sentry turret. Ten sniperkills is okay if you can no-scope adequately, and five C4 can be done in TDM too if placed correctly. But 10 melee, and headshots, and pistols need Warzone.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fersis said:
Im not exagerating when i say that L3 to run is the worst that happened to gaming.:lol

Heh, L3 is a really bad choice... but I guess they were not comfortable with any other button assigned to it... somehow I also prefer the Halo 1 way of having Fire and Melee on the triggers...

andycapps

Panajev2001a said:
Heh, L3 is a really bad choice... but I guess they were not comfortable with any other button assigned to it... somehow I also prefer the Halo 1 way of having Fire and Melee on the triggers...

Well, what would be nice is if they changed it so that users can fully customize their controls, in addition to being able to choose the presets. I'm cool with it being like it is as the DS3 L3 is not that bad at all. I don't even really notice it, honestly.

ChryZ said:
So I listened to 1UP's Good Grief. They played Killzone2 with random users. Well and I shit you not, but 1UP still sucks at PS3.

Quotes:

"starting up Killzone2 and trying to play a game with users just reminded me why I never play multi player games on PS3"

"What Killzone2 definitely needs, I think they're coming out with an update, but hopefully it will includes something to help people to find their friends in a match"

"when you create a game there is no way for me to boot people, so it was hard to make sure anyone was a 1UP user"

[talking about the controls] "but that's like punching a retarded kid, making fun of the PS3 controller for shooters"

Yep, they had it all covered. Ignorance is bliss. BUT they still had fun as it seems :p

The match/invite stuff they complained about is completely valid.

KZObsessed

Fersis said:

Personally I love how they've done it in KZ2. Just click L3 once and you're running, then when you ease up on the stick he slows down. You don't have to hold L3 down while you're running like in the first game :S

I actually prefer click to run now rather than holding down L2 or whatever.

FFObsessed said:
Personally I love how they've done it in KZ2. Just click L3 once and you're running, then when you ease up on the stick he slows down. You don't have to hold L3 down while you're running like in the first game :S

I agree. It feels perfect to me.

cameltoe

FFObsessed said:

THIS

Tom Penny

FFObsessed said:

L3 sucks to run. That's why they need full mapping. I'm sure that is sooooo hard to implement.

jett

D-Member
ChryZ said:

Quotes:

:lol Wow so much fail. I'd like the names of the people that said all that, for future reference. :p

ChryZ

Felix Lighter said:
The match/invite stuff they complained about is completely valid.
No, it's not. PSN isn't LIVE. Yes, it's different. Is it so hard to take that into consideration?

You can follow your friends into their games and with KZ2 is freaking easy.

You can send them xmb messages if you want to invite them to join.

You can make a password protected match to keep unwanted people out (or in their case to have a 1UP-users-only game).

Lince

Banned
Fersis said:

I agree R2 control was near perfect, but L3 to run isn't too bad... R3 to melee on the other hand...

oneHeero

Rapping Granny said:
:O killzone.com shows that there are 576 337 players.
So your MrBigJohnson? Lol, well at least I know when I'm on your team I can count on you to do big things :lol
I'm F1nestOne
Was fun playing with you.

When you unlock the repair option with engineer, it becomes so much fun. I run around repair everything. If I see an enemy machine gun turret or ammo box I destroy it and repair it for us lol. Its so awesome, or I'll repair all the turrets we place on my team.

I was engineer for the most part on pyrrus. And omg, no one would use tact all night so most nights I was a tact trying to keep up w/ placing spawns and swithing back to sabo/scout/engineer.

jett

D-Member
Lince said:
I agree R2 control was near perfect, but L3 to run isn't too bad... R3 to melee on the other hand...

That's why I use the default scheme. R3 for melee is terrible for me. I can aim just fine with it though. :p

oneHeero

Ello said:
Anyone have any good advice on how to get 5 kills with C4?
I've been using sabo a lot lately and I love the C4. You have to place all 3 together. I actually like it like that, I mean sure 1 c4 should blow you up, but they are small. Place all 3 right in front of doorways that are popular. I was getting a lot of c4 kills. I've only have like 1-2 games with the 5 kill requirment but I get them when I use them. Dont place them in random places or by themselves. All 3 together in doorways or before staircases and in high traffic areas.

A good top, if its something like search and retreive, than palce them before the door to get to the drop off, they have to run through it to drop the speaker off.

ChryZ said:
No, it's not. PSN isn't LIVE. Yes, it's different. Is it so hard to take that into consideration?

You can follow your friends into their games and with KZ2 is freaking easy.

You can send them xmb messages if you want to invite them to join.

You can make a password protected match to keep unwanted people out (or in their case to have a 1UP-users-only game).

Yes it's perfection. Getting together with friends is easy as pie, especially when your looking to join the same team on a balanced server. There isn't a half dozen people in the thread asking how to find the GAF game each night. The server browser they've come up with is everything anyone could have ever hoped for.

andycapps

Felix Lighter said:
Yes it's perfection. Getting together with friends is easy as pie, especially when your looking to join the same team on a balanced server. There isn't a half dozen people in the thread asking how to find the GAF game each night. The server browser they've come up with is everything anyone could have ever hoped for.

It definitely needs some work, but most of the people on 1UP don't play on PSN much at all so they're not familiar with how it normally works. If they'd all played Killzone 2 as much as they play GoW2 online they'd probably be able to easily see each other online, one of them join a game and the others follow. Yeah, it needs a party system but there's obviously ways to get around this now, even if they're not ideal. I'm sure GG has heard the grumblings and I expect that issue to be addressed.

ChryZ

Felix Lighter said:
Nobody said it's perfect. Nothing is perfect. Oh and btw, you can create a match without team balance. Finding a certain game is easy if you have xmb or clan buddies in that game. The one thing I'm willing to give them: yes, a search function for server names would be great.

Cruzader

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
The only thing I cannot stand about Killzone 2 is the use of L3 to run (pressing the stick while holding it forward does not feel right... :()...

Yea right. I played Bad Company over the weekend on my friends house and damn I hate the fact that you HAVE to hold L3 to run. Its such a pain in the ass too. I cant believe GG remedied that by just making it just be pressed once and you still keep running. Damn they are really gaming gods.

I would also like to point out that there was a time when I used to bitch why the pistols had unlimited ammo. I was like "what is this noob shit" But after playing Far Cry 2 online(OMG worst online FPS game on PS3) I found out its such a great thing to have. For instance in FC2, if you ran out of ammo from your main gun, you would switch to your handgun. Well if you ran out of ammo, you were screwed. Sometimes you are in the middle of a gun fight and you run out of ammo for both your guns. Damn that was terrible. So in KZ2, atleast you have a small chance of killing your opponent.

Ploid 3.0

oneHeero said:
I'm F1nestOne

YOU....
148ktf.jpg

tiddles

Cruzader said:
Yea right. I played Bad Company over the weekend on my friends house and damn I hate the fact that you HAVE to hold L3 to run. Its such a pain in the ass too. I cant believe GG remedied that by just making it just be pressed once and you still keep running. Damn they are really gaming gods.

Yes, we are geniuses!

(quickly hides copy of COD4...)

Although to be fair, the original Killzone was one of the first FPSes to give you a sprint option on L3 (not a toggle, though)....

Returners

Cruzader said:

I would also like to point out that there was a time when I used to bitch why the pistols had unlimited ammo. I was like "what is this noob shit" But after playing Far Cry 2 online(OMG worst online FPS game on PS3) I found out its such a great thing to have. For instance in FC2, if you ran out of ammo from your main gun, you would switch to your handgun. Well if you ran out of ammo, you were screwed. Sometimes you are in the middle of a gun fight and you run out of ammo for both your guns. Damn that was terrible. So in KZ2, atleast you have a small chance of killing your opponent.

Plus the pistol is a freaking MAGNUM, feels so powerful when you shoot it.

Great fun last night in the Friendly Beamer game. With FF turned on the game is really a totally different beast. I think I team killed 2 people with a grenade right off the bat & then proceeded to accidentally kill the assassination target I was trying to protect, being the Assault class. :| (Sorry about that FFXI ?)

Yeah, the Assault class is definitely harder to be effective with when friendly fire enabled. Might just quiet some of the class's critiques.

andycapps

tiddles said:
Yes, we are geniuses!

(quickly hides copy of COD4...)

Although to be fair, the original Killzone was one of the first FPSes to give you a sprint option on L3 (not a toggle, though)....

Pssstt.. Tiddles! Party system, stat!

FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA

dk_

Is it possible to get the cloak badge and the sniper specialist badge at the same time? I swear that I had 10 kills with the sniper rifle while cloaked and I only got the cloak badge. :-/

methane47

Felix Lighter said:

Hold up a second... Soo you are telling me in Halo3 that you can go into a server browser and find a game named GAF without having any of the players in your friends list?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BTW, I did not say you had to hold it to sprint, I said you have to press it... as in "press it and release it" ;).

Tiddles,

I can accept the argument that such choice might be the lesser of possible evils in Killzone 2 DS3 controls configurations, but I cannot agree that even clicking on L3 once is an intrinsically good set-up choice for the sprint action.

Even clicking on R3 would be a better choice IMHO (but then... such button is used for zooming... as I said L3 clicked for sprint might be instrumentally good to achieve a very good DS3 controls configuration).

COD4 uses the same technique? I would not know since I have never even touched COD4 once ;).

Felix Lighter said:
Yes it's perfection.

:lol

Guys, it's OK to admit the competition has a leg up on you in some regard. The networks, at this level at least, serve an identical function: Matching players up to play multiplayer games over a network.

That PSN/KZ2 is missing some features, that have been implemented and work on another network, isn't a slight to PSN. They just need to catch up. When similar games launch on PSN and they are missing what has become mainstream, people are going to point it out. It's just an area they need to address at some point.

PSN is behind Live in several areas. It's OK, the network is quite a bit younger. Also, Microsoft is a software company.

Pointing out that PSN is a different service doesn't make a lot of sense when they share the same goal (again, at this level). There are missing features. Some of what 1up was saying there is perfectly valid.

GodofWine

What's GAF's take on the auto-aim exploit debate thats raging at KZ forums.

Personally, I think its exploitable, but its such a plain in the ass to play constantly tapping zoom that I think it will go away..or they'll tweak it out.

But there is a growing line of complainers there asking ALL aim assist to be removed, frankly I think that will break the game...we are not as good at aiming as we all think we are, this I promise :lol

...oh...and Pyrus is being ruined by snipers...like big time, I refuse to play it now.

oneHeero

methane47 said:
Hold up a second... Soo you are telling me in Halo3 that you can go into a server browser and find a game named GAF without having any of the players in your friends list?
So it has a party system AND you can search for different games in the lobby? Wow when I played H3 it didnt have that option. Just had matchmaking :\

O wait....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
FFObsessed said:

It is fair to prefer not to have to HOLD any button to sprint (although I never minded that... I might mind it if it made controls worse over-all of course ;)), I just do not think that clicking L3 or R3 (although R3 feels to be less of a problem to me as it is a separate button from the stick I am essentially rotating to move the character... although even that would be a problem as the right stick controls the camera) is a particularly enjoyable feat in and of itself.

It is a bit like if you were operating a very light digital camera with a very resistant button you have to press to shoot the actual photograph... sure pressing such button is not as much of a chore as holding it would be, but I'd say that even having to press such button really hard even once is... less than ideal :).

oneHeero

GodofWine said:
What's GAF's take on the auto-aim exploit debate thats raging at KZ forums.

Personally, I think its exploitable, but its such a plain in the ass to play constantly tapping zoom that I think it will go away..or they'll tweak it out.

But there is a growing line of complainers there asking ALL aim assist to be removed, frankly I think that will break the game...we are not as good at aiming as we all think we are, this I promise :lol

...oh...and Pyrus is being ruined by snipers...like big time, I refuse to play it now.
Dont know what you mean, its pretty easy to take them out. I did it fine last night and the night before.

Every Pyrrus game is going to start with scouts. All you do is go sabo and head straight to the opposing side as quickly as you can, hiding sometimes. Dont attack asap, let them get comfortable that way it seems like your really a teammate. Than go up to each one and kill them. Its really easy.

Top Bottom