• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dante

Kittonwy said:
I'm a uniter not a defector.
angry.gif

We're uniting all the GAF clans for North America into GAF America, do you want in?
angry.gif

That last one was tough but we were losing pretty badly in the last round.

I want in :D

IMO we lost that match on Capture and Hold ( on saluman ), we just couldn't keep it together. I tried playing as a tactician and getting those two spawn points going but our team just couldn't hold on that catwalk point. Oh well....maybe next time. You fought with great honor Kittonwy :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
From the official forum
Hi all,

sorry for not responding to each message.

Patch release date will be 1st of April at 8AM GMT. If all goes as planned.

Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games

EDIT: Patch is actually coming out tomorrow the 31st. Seb amended on the official forum

Blame it on Monday morning, but tomorrow is the 31st. Will be released then, sorry

So, tomorrow March 31st @ 8AM GMT it is.

Changelist for those that missed it

-Increase of the standard points settings for Bodycount. Should ensure longer mode on heavily populated games.
-The return of Online Bots. Adding bots to an online game renders it ‘unranked’.
-The option to create unranked games. Players will be made aware that a game is unranked upon joining.
-Fix to Game Search functionality so correct maps are displayed.
-Standardization of the Y-Axis controls on the HGH Scout when zoomed with the Sniper Rifle.
-Fix to Sensitivity setting where the weapon animation did not follow the reticule correctly.
-Fix for auto-aim exploit when rapidly tapping zoom/fire.
-Fix to infrequent collision issues with C4 Proximity mines.
-Fix to list of games displayed on search.
-Stability fix relating to disconnect.
-Fix to ‘Clan’ button functionality in custom game creation settings.

Rolf NB

I think it just switched to the new week, or maybe it did an hour ago. Anyway, final player count for last week came out as 284700, down 13% from the prior weeks 327610, which was in turn 16% down from its prior week's 390110.

Btw I'm only collecting the data because it would otherwise vanish into the ether, and then there'd be no way to have any reasonable discussion at all about the size and health of the player community. Doom and gloom is definitely not my intention. I love the game. I care.

Lince

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Btw I'm only collecting the data because it would otherwise vanish into the ether, and then there'd be no way to have any reasonable discussion at all about the size and health of the player community. Doom and gloom is definitely not my intention. I love the game. I care.

same here and big thank you, finally someone sensible enough in this particular discussion.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
test_account said:
That is a good point, i had forgotten about that, sorry. But it was just a guess from my side :) I would guess maybe closer to at least 1.5 - 2 million copies sold worldwide then? :)

I'd say that 1.5 to 2.0 million isn't an unreasonable estimate.

People expecting Halo 3 numbers need to remember that the PS3 has a smaller installed user base at the moment. And I'd hardly be taking liberties if I suggested that just maybe Microsoft's marketing team seem to know what they're doing more than their oppo's at Sony.

Say what you like about Killzone 2 - it's going to sell pretty well, it's a good game and it's providing a damn firm base for the development of the franchise. Whatever else is taken away from this, you won't see people writing Killzone 3 off before they've seen it running!

Which is almost a pity, in one way, because watching virtually the whole industry press choking down huge helpings of crow was fucking awesome.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Patch is actually coming out tomorrow March the 31st. Seb amended on the official forum

Blame it on Monday morning, but tomorrow is the 31st. Will be released then, sorry

So, tomorrow March 31st @ 8AM GMT it is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Iain Howe said:
Which is almost a pity, in one way, because watching virtually the whole industry press choking down huge helpings of crow was fucking awesome.
That statement suggests that you think they didn't have a good reason to be skeptical (if I am wrong in assuming this, then disregard everything following this sentence). I understand that you have personal links to Guerilla, and that it probably didn't feel great when everyone was turning up their noses at KZ2, but in this case particular case, post KZ1 and KZ2 CG trailer, it wasn't like there wasn't good reason for the skepticism. Do you think the industry, and the surrounding community, were wrong in their skepticism toward KZ2 prior to its proper unveiling?

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Rez said:
That statement suggests that you think they didn't have a good reason to be skeptical (if I am wrong in assuming this, then disregard everything following this sentence). I understand that you have personal links to Guerilla, and that it probably didn't feel great when everyone was turning up their noses at KZ2, but in this case particular case, post KZ1 and KZ2 CG trailer, it wasn't like there wasn't good reason for the skepticism.

There's always good reason for healthy skepticism. But when you try to be mean spirited with clever sarcasm and you're proven wholly wrong, you have to expect that those who you've been subjecting to the life of Sisyphus will enjoy a certain amount of schadenfreude at your expense.

It's not so much that people were skeptical. But when people sit down blogging 'This is going to suck' and leave the show blogging 'Holy fuck - I had to pick my jaw up off the ground' then there's got to be room to suggest that, just maybe, they were being overly skeptical?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
Patch does nothing for me if it doesn't at the very least address spawn spamming :(

I'm with you man. But that's something we have to wait a little bit more. This one is fundamentally the "bots are back" patch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Iain Howe said:
There's always good reason for healthy skepticism. But when you try to be mean spirited with clever sarcasm and you're proven wholly wrong, you have to expect that those who you've been subjecting to the life of Sisyphus will enjoy a certain amount of schadenfreude at your expense.

It's not so much that people were skeptical. But when people sit down blogging 'This is going to suck' and leave the show blogging 'Holy fuck - I had to pick my jaw up off the ground' then there's got to be room to suggest that, just maybe, they were being overly skeptical?
Well said (and fair enough). :)

andycapps

Iain Howe said:

People expecting Halo 3 numbers need to remember that the PS3 has a smaller installed user base at the moment. And I'd hardly be taking liberties if I suggested that just maybe Microsoft's marketing team seem to know what they're doing more than their oppo's at Sony.

Say what you like about Killzone 2 - it's going to sell pretty well, it's a good game and it's providing a damn firm base for the development of the franchise. Whatever else is taken away from this, you won't see people writing Killzone 3 off before they've seen it running!

Well said, it comes down to marketing some, and it also comes down to the fact that Killzone 2 is just not as noob friendly as Halo. Nothing against the Halo franchise, but it's very approachable as far as new FPS players, and also for seasoned FPS players. A lot of people see that as a strength, and I guess it depends on your perspective: if you want a game that rewards you for learning how it works and is punishing for quite a few hours, or if you want to jump in right away and be owning everyone.

I think that Killzone 2 is quite a bit harder for new FPS players to get into, and as such, it'll limit it's audience to an extent. That's not a problem to me, that's a good thing. I don't care for those types of players.

Dever

Banned
Wow the game is soooo much fun on Elite. I'm up to the
ISA ship
now, must admit I'm a little scared of reaching the final section..

icechai

Iain Howe said:

but one thing is where PS3 is at now, its where Xbox was a year ago. So its not really about installed user base now as much as Sony's marketing team just doesn't get it :p

Cagen

Rapping Granny said:
Yesterday I saw a gaffer completly destroy everyone with that Sabateour rifle, and today it was Cagen with his revolver, it always takes 3 of us to take him down. ( fucking assault class)

When you killed me on Conrinth and I heard over the proximity chat "I killed Cagen, it feels like killing a God" I couldn't stop laughing :lol

As for the Assault class, it isn't too bad with rockets disabled as you have to be somewhat decent to dominate with the M4. You can't miss a single shot when you are taking on more then one person.

JB1981 said:
Patch does nothing for me if it doesn't at the very least address spawn spamming :(

It does nothing for me unless it sorts out the god damn tournament list. That thing is a shambles but seeing as it isn't in the change log I don't have high hopes.

GodofWine

bcn-ron said:
I think it just switched to the new week, or maybe it did an hour ago. Anyway, final player count for last week came out as 284700, down 13% from the prior weeks 327610, which was in turn 16% down from its prior week's 390110.

I have 'sticky' next to my laptop at work where Im writing those numbers down too.

An interesting number, if available (and I don't think it is) would be 'total points', because also think people are playing less time based on a small sample population.

The party system oversight was monumentally huge (this will be the last shooter to not have a party system).

xiked

Banned
Iain Howe said:
Hard to see how we get from 1.1 million pre-orders in Europe to 1.5 millions sales worldwide...

I notice nobody here has suggested that fewer people might be playing because the damn snow has started melting and people can go outside again?

I know, I know - Et Tu, Iain...

Wasn't that the pre orders game stores had made not the amount of ppl that pre ordered? Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW. Have Sony told you or anyone else at GG how many copies KZ2 have sold? I really would love to know. Want KZ2 to be as big success as possible. Even though Sony PR is vary bad at promoting games I hope it did well at retail.

Would be nice to get an response from Iain Howe.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally got my 1% badge.

instead of air support, which is useless, tacticians should get a secondary ability that allows them to de-spawn the opponent's spawn grenade, but takes something like 6 seconds to accomplish and maybe costs them 1 of their own spawn grenades for 3 minutes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
commish said:
Finally got my 1% badge.

instead of air support, which is useless, tacticians should get a secondary ability that allows them to de-spawn the opponent's spawn grenade, but takes something like 6 seconds to accomplish and maybe costs them 1 of their own spawn grenades for 3 minutes.

Either that or make the spawn be constructed by both sides. It will be hard to make a spawn on top of another spawn if it needs 5-7 seconds construction time like a turret.

That would also help increase turret and drone effect as they could be used to semi protect a spawn point from being sabotaged by the enemy's spawn point on top of it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
GodofWine said:
An interesting number, if available (and I don't think it is) would be 'total points', because also think people are playing less time based on a small sample population.

The party system oversight was monumentally huge (this will be the last shooter to not have a party system).

I tried looking this up on the website to see but it does not seem to be accurate. I think the "last week" tab on the website is still for the first week of tracking back in February.

It would be interesting to see if the 1% and 10% have changed significantly in the amount of points necessary.

I am still surprised Sony has not requisitioned the party system in Resistance for other games. It works wonderfully.

GodofWine

AndyD said:
I tried looking this up on the website to see but it does not seem to be accurate. I think the "last week" tab on the website is still for the first week of tracking back in February.

It would be interesting to see if the 1% and 10% have changed significantly in the amount of points necessary.

I am still surprised Sony has not requisitioned the party system in Resistance for other games. It works wonderfully.

Agreed

I know that in week 2 I got top 10% and played nightly, in week 3, I got top 6% and was pretty sure I played a decent bit less. If I get top 10% this week after playing maybe 3 nights for about an hour...well, that will be bad news.

(I only had 800 points for the week going into last night and was in the top 25%)

andycapps

How are you guys seeing if you got the 1%, 3%, etc medals? If I click the last week tab on Killzone.com I just get an N/A message and nothing regarding how much I played this week. I'm finally starting to move up in the overall rankings after being pretty active this weekend. I've finally cracked the 100k overall rank. With me moving from around 150k to around 98k now, I must've done a decent amount this week but won't know until I get home and login, unless I'm missing something.

____

Dever said:
Wow the game is soooo much fun on Elite. I'm up to the
ISA ship
now, must admit I'm a little scared of reaching the final section..

It's a bit intimidating at first, but if I beat it, anybody can :lol

I couldn't even beat Uncharted on Crushing.

careful

Clipjoint said:
I'm about to get into online after finishing the single player campaign (so awesome). Any tips I should read before diving in?
Don't join 32p games, it's a complete mess. Have a fun in 16p instead, much better ;)

Lince

Banned
careful said:
Don't join 32p games, it's a complete mess. Have a fun in 16p instead, much better ;)

I'll go further and suggest joining only 8-14p games, you'll learn actual strategies this way.

Cagen

andycapps said:
How are you guys seeing if you got the 1%, 3%, etc medals? If I click the last week tab on Killzone.com I just get an N/A message and nothing regarding how much I played this week. I'm finally starting to move up in the overall rankings after being pretty active this weekend. I've finally cracked the 100k overall rank. With me moving from around 150k to around 98k now, I must've done a decent amount this week but won't know until I get home and login, unless I'm missing something.

You can check on your profile on killzone.com. Your avatar gets a coloured border around it corresponding to the valor rank you achieved and your rank will have the corresponding background.

An example as Chryz posted earlier.

top1percent.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
Clipjoint said:
I'm about to get into online after finishing the single player campaign (so awesome). Any tips I should read before diving in?

Start off in 24p players or less with "my rank only" enabled. As you work your way through the ranks (first 10-20 hours) you will get the hang of all the classes and their abilities.

Cagen said:
You can check on your profile on killzone.com. Your avatar gets a coloured border around it corresponding to the valor rank you achieved and your rank will have the corresponding background.

An example as Chryz posted earlier.

top1percent.png

Also, My Killzone - All player stats - Military ranks

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mine still displays I have the 10% ribbon, although I hardly played last week but a few hours. And gaf games with no craziness at that.

That cant be right. I will have to log on tonight and see.

AndyD said:
Mine still displays I have the 10% ribbon, although I hardly played last week but a few hours. And gaf games with no craziness at that.

Top 10% isn't that tough. Only need a couple thousand points.

oneHeero

The patch fixes minor things which is good and quick since the game was released just a month ago and we have had 2 patches.

One thing I'm very happy they fixed is the auto-aim glitch, that was horrible when it blew up in competitive games.

commish

AndyD said:

The website always displays your highest rank achieved. I received a top 3% the first week, then nothing after (until this week), and the website always showed me with the 3% ribbon.

AndyD

aka andydumi
BruceLeeRoy said:
Damn I got mine to!

Ha I only played for about 12 hours all of last week to. Nice

Hmm. Did they change any of the algorithms for calculation? I will see when I get home tonight. I dont think I even broke 1000 points for last week.

Kittonwy said:
I'm a uniter not a defector.
angry.gif

We're uniting all the GAF clans for North America into GAF America, do you want in?
angry.gif

That last one was tough but we were losing pretty badly in the last round.

So GAFw is over? if so i want into the united clan!!! Ive played way too much this week.

AndyD said:
Hmm. Did they change any of the algorithms for calculation? I will see when I get home tonight. I dont think I even broke 1000 points for last week.

Not sure. I was averaging between 100-150 a game. I also got my all time high on Saturday 288 so that might have helped.

Chrange

Banned
Iain Howe said:

I thought someone pointed out in the NPD thread that the PS3 install base was a couple hundred thousand ahead of the 360's install base at the point Halo 3 launched.

commish

Can we keep sales numbers out of this thread, please? ugh.

GAFA needs to get some clan matches set up!

who got 1 percent badge this week?

I scored a little over 2,000 points for last week, but didnt get any badge. I guess I just got the same percentage as the previous week. It seems I need to at least get about 6,000 points to be in the 1 percent.

____

Okay I just got 6% something just now and it unlocked 2 trophies.

Can someone explain what happened?

I thought the trophies were for being top 4%, 3%, 2% and 1%...

Top Bottom