• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Core407

Banned
WTFing said:
How to kill a game?
1% medal is the worst idea ever. Worst idea ever. wtf.

It's really not that hard. All it requires is a free week. I actually managed to grab the black one randomly one week. If I even knew it was that easy, I would have spent a couple more hours and got the 1% one. I'm running through the game on Elite right now and I'm just fucking loving it. This is the best FPS since Halo. There are so many places that have multiple pathways.

Zen

Banned
THis whole 'lol people who are paying attention to the active player base for Killzone 2 Online are virgins!" is just pathetic.

Iain Howe said:
Hard to see how we get from 1.1 million pre-orders in Europe to 1.5 millions sales worldwide...

I notice nobody here has suggested that fewer people might be playing because the damn snow has started melting and people can go outside again?

I know, I know - Et Tu, Iain...

WHile a number of people are going outside again, or wahtnot, that's not really a valid way of explaining the degree of the drop off...

WTFing

Banned
Core407 said:
It's really not that hard. All it requires is a free week. I actually managed to grab the black one randomly one week. If I even knew it was that easy, I would have spent a couple more hours and got the 1% one. I'm running through the game on Elite right now and I'm just fucking loving it. This is the best FPS since Halo. There are so many places that have multiple pathways.
I really love the game, and I am trying to finish it on elite. But the 1% is MP related, like you said it requires a free week. To me it's a game, not a job. Something is wrong.

AndyD

aka andydumi
WTFing said:
I really love the game, and I am trying to finish it on elite. But the 1% is MP related, like you said it requires a free week. To me it's a game, not a job. Something is wrong.

I agree. I dont have a free week. And if I were to get one off work, I sure as hell would not sit inside playing KZ2, I would go on vacation.

I also hate long life playing trophies as well though. Like General in Warhawk or 10k kills in R2 or BF:BC. Its one thing to ask players to play a while, say 30-100 hours MP, its another to ask them to play a thousand hours to get a trophy.

We were talking in the other thread and Warhawk general was achieved by some 300 people after a year of the game being out. That's a little extreme I think.

KZ2 went the opposite way, thinking we don't ask you to play long time, just a "little" lot at once. At absolute best say I can score 100 point games on average. To get about 4000-5000 points for 1% a week, I would need 40-50 games, at roughly 30 minutes a piece, that's 20-30 hours of playing a week. It does not sound like a lot, but when you have a 40-50 hour a week job and a significant other, let alone kids, getting 30 hours of gaming in a week is nearly impossible for the vast majority.

I got the 10% ribbon a few weeks ago when I happened to have a day off due to a holiday. I played that week about as much as I can play on a regular basis. That sort of let me know that the other three rank trophies and the platinum are pretty much unachievable for me.

That said, I always try to get better, and one day when I have all the various ribbons and I am earning max points, I will try to have one strong week and pray I will get 1%. I have manged to get over 150 in a game, but getting sustained 100+ point games is tough. And the rocket spam bodycount games are obnoxious and prevalent because they are the place to get the most points and thus rank the highest.

They also force me not to play enjoyably, with a class combo I like, but to play assault like everyone else and try to rack up points.

I hope the ranked/unranked update this week helps. It should leave fewer ranked games that earn points, and I hope the leaderboards still count the unranked players in the the total tallies. Also, I hope default games become FF:eek:n and Team balance: on. FF:Off should be unranked custom. It would cure rocket spam and let people play enjoyably while still working their way towards the ranks/unlocks.

Another cure, increase points for doing objectives. Give 25 point rewards for search/destroy and assassinations to the winning team, on top of rewarding the individual who got the kill/survival or plant/defuse. That would switch the focus to achieving the goal and not just killing. Give assist points. Give more points for winning a mode early, say assassinate within 30 seconds of start. Or defuse within a few seconds of a charge being set. Essentially encourage team work more and not just get as many kills as possible.

I like R2s system fo rewarding for virtually everything in various amounts. I am not saying this gmae should be like KZ2, but its little things that can be done to prevent the rocket spam games, or remove them as necessary for ranking.

Kittonwy

Banned
Iain Howe said:
Hard to see how we get from 1.1 million pre-orders in Europe to 1.5 millions sales worldwide...

I notice nobody here has suggested that fewer people might be playing because the damn snow has started melting and people can go outside again?

I know, I know - Et Tu, Iain...

Killzone 2> Outside.
angry.gif

Doubledex

Banned
Templar, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-( Rest In Peace, Hero! ;-(

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
cakefoo said:

Oh, thought it was just me (tigerheli) that froze in that game... at least i THINK we are talking about the same game.

Also, I played a few games earlier today with 2 of the "top" 5 players, if we are going by the rankings on killzone.com. One of them just bitched about rockets the entire time. Both dominated each map. Facing them one on one, they fell to my smg just like anyone else, but I noticed that they seem to only play body count with 16 or so players, and both seemed to like to camp/hang out the opponents spawn area and kill them as they come out. I have to agree with them, as I've found that, if your goal is points, doing only body count with 16 players is the fastest way to get points. Each map is about 10 to 15 minutes, and if you're good, you can get 80+ points each time. Those complaining about the time needed for the 1% should look into doing this for a week. It's not soo bad, time-wise.

WTFing said:

I really don't see how that is GG fault. You don't have to get the 1% its there for the fanatical. Which obviously me and you both are. :D

Quick question when do the servers restart for the next week?

WTFing

Banned
AndyD said:
I agree. I dont have a free week. And if I were to get one off work, I sure as hell would not sit inside playing KZ2, I would go on vacation.

I also hate long life playing trophies as well though. Like General in Warhawk or 10k kills in R2 or BF:BC. Its one thing to ask players to play a while, say 30-100 hours MP, its another to ask them to play a thousand hours to get a trophy.

We were talking in the other thread and Warhawk general was achieved by some 300 people after a year of the game being out. That's a little extreme I think.

KZ2 went the opposite way, thinking we don't ask you to play long time, just a "little" lot at once. At absolute best say I can score 100 point games on average. To get about 4000-5000 points for 1% a week, I would need 40-50 games, at roughly 30 minutes a piece, that's 20-30 hours of playing a week. It does not sound like a lot, but when you have a 40-50 hour a week job and a significant other, let alone kids, getting 30 hours of gaming in a week is nearly impossible for the vast majority.

I got the 10% ribbon a few weeks ago when I happened to have a day off due to a holiday. I played that week about as much as I can play on a regular basis. That sort of let me know that the other three rank trophies and the platinum are pretty much unachievable for me.

That said, I always try to get better, and one day when I have all the various ribbons and I am earning max points, I will try to have one strong week and pray I will get 1%. I have manged to get over 150 in a game, but getting sustained 100+ point games is tough. And the rocket spam bodycount games are obnoxious and prevalent because they are the place to get the most points and thus rank the highest.

They also force me not to play enjoyably, with a class combo I like, but to play assault like everyone else and try to rack up points.

I hope the ranked/unranked update this week helps. It should leave fewer ranked games that earn points, and I hope the leaderboards still count the unranked players in the the total tallies. Also, I hope default games become FF:eek:n and Team balance: on. FF:Off should be unranked custom. It would cure rocket spam and let people play enjoyably while still working their way towards the ranks/unlocks.

Another cure, increase points for doing objectives. Give 25 point rewards for search/destroy and assassinations to the winning team, on top of rewarding the individual who got the kill/survival or plant/defuse. That would switch the focus to achieving the goal and not just killing. Give assist points. Give more points for winning a mode early, say assassinate within 30 seconds of start. Or defuse within a few seconds of a charge being set. Essentially encourage team work more and not just get as many kills as possible.

I like R2s system fo rewarding for virtually everything in various amounts. I am not saying this gmae should be like KZ2, but its little things that can be done to prevent the rocket spam games, or remove them as necessary for ranking.

Thank you for expressing exactly what I think. But I think that bringing ranked/unranked games is not a good idea at all. The way it is, 'all ranked' is great.

Raist, next time you are on my team and I see you on the ground, I'll not bzzzz you. I'll hit you so I can take your M82 :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
BruceLeeRoy said:
I really don't see how that is GG fault. You don't have to get the 1% its there for the fanatical. Which obviously me and you both are. :D

Quick question when do the servers restart for the next week?

They reset 3 hours ago, I think. Midnight GMT on Sunday.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
A 1% badge seems like a fine reward for playing all the time, I don't know why that would bug people.

I just think the perks/classes/badges are done a little poorly in general because so many of the rooms are farming rooms. It's like a MMO so you can be competitive with other players. COD handled that far better. But I like this game world a lot more, so I hope they can fix some of those things, or at least rethink them for future expansions. When things work out right, it's my favorite console shooter, but it shouldn't be so hit or miss to have a fun experience. Eh, that's overstating it, it's usually fun, but it's often unbalanced or a room full of people merely playing to get points or specific badges.

Musashi Wins! said:
A 1% badge seems like a fine reward for playing all the time, I don't know why that would bug people.

Because people act like they can't enjoy the game unless they have it, rather than look at it as just that, a reward for enjoying the game.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
one of the issues i had when i first started playing was that when i tried to play people my own level no one had unlocked the spawn point class. playing the huge maps was extremely boring.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
i_am_ben said:
one of the issues i had when i first started playing was that when i tried to play people my own level no one had unlocked the spawn point class. playing the huge maps was extremely boring.

If people in stranger rooms actually used Squads with any regularity or sense of purpose, it wouldn't be so bad!

Yesterday I saw a gaffer completly destroy everyone with that Sabateour rifle, and today it was Cagen with his revolver, it always takes 3 of us to take him down. ( fucking assault class)

WTFing

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Of course it's not GG's fault. It's yours! Just wait until I get in GAFe games. ;)

Christopher said:
How you do you get these weekly ribbons? The game just gives them to you everyweek and then restarts?
Pretty much. If your points for the week put you within a certain percentage of the top players, then you get a weekly ribbon. It lasts a week and then the fun starts all over again.

Rolf NB

commish said:
They reset 3 hours ago, I think. Midnight GMT on Sunday.
No, I just checked again, and the old week is still running. 284k ranked players now. I think the time for the reset might be noon.

Thrakier

Oh, 1% is not a big deal. Radec on Elite though, that is a big deal. Too big for me it seems. Which is shit because it was fucking hard to get to him. Many hours wasted.

post-patch, there appears to be a reduction in the time duration that spawn grenades will remain in one area. At first I overreacted, thinking that your spawns disappear when you die. Not the case, obviously.

But I'm almost positive that the spawns don't remain quite as long.

WretchedTruman said:
post-patch, there appears to be a reduction in the time duration that spawn grenades will remain in one area. At first I overreacted, thinking that your spawns disappear when you die. Not the case, obviously.

But I'm almost positive that the spawns don't remain quite as long.

que?

spawn grenades pre-patch 1.21 - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

spawn grenades post-patch 1.21 - >>>>>>>>

> = time duration on map. The spawn grenades don't last as long.

:lol

I wish that they made sentry bots more relevant. They still offer little more than a pesky nuisance to the opposing team.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
WretchedTruman said:
spawn grenades pre-patch 1.21 - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

spawn grenades post-patch 1.21 - >>>>>>>>

> = time duration on map. The spawn grenades don't last as long.

I wish that they made sentry bots more relevant. They still offer little more than a pesky nuisance to the opposing team.

Dude, patch 1.21 hasn't been released yet.

Stop smoking what you are smoking.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
WretchedTruman said:
I apologize, the most recent patch. I thought we were preparing for 1.3 next.

I see. :lol

Well, tactician spawn grenade hasn't changed one bit with neither of the released patches.

Does anyone know what time the week ends today (uk time) as when i checked last (7am) i was in the top 1% and was just wondering how long was left in case i was overtaken.

Going home at lunch so im gonna check then and fingers crossed i will have that 1% trophy :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dirtyshubb said:
Does anyone know what time the week ends today (uk time) as when i checked last (7am) i was in the top 1% and was just wondering how long was left in case i was overtaken.

Going home at lunch so im gonna check then and fingers crossed i will have that 1% trophy :D

Pretty sure it is all reflected on killzone.com so you can check your profile there.

TTP said:
Pretty sure it is all reflected on killzone.com so you can check your profile there.
I would but the damn home office computers (where i work) blocks most sites to do with games, thank god they dont know about GAF or my day would be boring as hell!

Andvary

TTP said:
Unless they blink.

I kid

Dirtyshubb said:
I would but the damn home office computers (where i work) blocks most sites to do with games, thank god they dont know about GAF or my day would be boring as hell!

Just checked your profile at killzone.com and you got it, congratulations!

Just got mine too
General.png
, Yay :D !

Andvary said:

Just checked your profile at killzone.com and you got it, congratulations!

Just got mine too
General.png
, Yay :D !
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1....................Sorry about that :D
Well done to you, i had to try and get a few games in before work this moring just to be safe ;)

Now i can focus on getting the remaining Medals i need, about to get the boost one and than move onto the last few classes.

Dante

So what's GAFA? Did you defect to another clan Kittonwy? Man that was a tough one, I hate losing those long matches by 1 round :(

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
So what's GAFA? Did you defect to another clan Kittonwy? Man that was a tough one, I hate losing those long matches by 1 round :(

I'm a uniter not a defector.
angry.gif

We're uniting all the GAF clans for North America into GAF America, do you want in?
angry.gif

That last one was tough but we were losing pretty badly in the last round.

Top Bottom