• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Lince said:
last week this time it was 3400... so more than 60000 players gave up on KZ2 this week, I hope this is not a trend so Guerrilla keeps fixing/improving the awesome multiplayer and releasing DLC.

Hmm, perhaps a quick join feature would help? I have never used it in Warhawk but it might mitigate some of the confusion/frustration of scrolling through a long list of servers. I don't know if people are quitting because the game isn't good for them, or because it is difficult to quickly find the fun games. Nearly every single game mode has problems and solutions, but without any way to determine if these solutions have been employed for that specific server, actually finding a good game can be difficult and tedious.

Also, I think GG should patch in the ability to prohibit the use of the M4 in pistol only matches. Perhaps they could also patch in a way to allow for M4 matches that would somehow limit those people who do not have the gun yet. I was playing pistol only games today and every server I jumped into had a least one person running around with the M4 cleaning up.

Any word on when the next patch comes out? I noticed I have put about 100hrs into this game in the past month. I think I might be a bit burnt out. However, many of my issues have to do with lag and insufficient server information. I find myself wanting to play all the time but then getting frustrated with little things that I know could be fixed/avoided.

Lince

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
Hmm, perhaps a quick join feature would help?

you mean press triangle in the join game screen ? yeah, it's there but I never use it fearing entering a full party of rocket launchers kids in Radec Academy.

- too many nades
- m4 revolver too powerful (1 shot in the body kill, not hs)
- assault class unbalanced
- boost + lag = impossible to hit

DrPirate

Banned
Lince said:
last week this time it was 3400... so more than 60000 players gave up on KZ2 this week, I hope this is not a trend so Guerrilla keeps fixing/improving the awesome multiplayer and releasing DLC.

I'm sure there's plenty of people like me who have no consoles in their dorm room and can't play it.

I can't wait for killzone as soon as finals end, I'll be online constantly.

Lince

Banned
DrPirate said:
I'm sure there's plenty of people like me who have no consoles in their dorm room and can't play it.

what about more people buying the game to counter that? I don't get it, there should be more users playing...

.GqueB.

Banned
DrPirate said:

Exactly. Why presume something so blanketed and terrible like 60,000 people stopped playing killzone this week. Jesus Christ.

I stopped playing Killzone for an entire week when Resident Evil came out. Doesnt mean I "gave up" on it. There are other reasons that people would stop playing a game.

Quit being so dramatic people.

Kittonwy

Banned
It's not a new revelation to me but there are just some really retarded tacticians online, holy fucking shit fucking learn the fact that the fucking spawn point FACES YOU when you throw it. FUCK.
angry.gif

NameIess

.GqueB. said:
Exactly. Why presume something so blanketed and terrible like 60,000 people stopped playing killzone this week. Jesus Christ.

I stopped playing Killzone for an entire week when Resident Evil came out. Doesnt mean I "gave up" on it. There are other reasons that people would stop playing a game.

One of the best post today!

-viper-

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's not a new revelation to me but there are just some really retarded tacticians online, holy fucking shit fucking learn the fact that the fucking spawn point FACES YOU when you throw it. FUCK.
angry.gif
I agree.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kittonwy said:
angry.gif

Personally, I love when they throw a spawn on stairs, or, just as fun, put a spawn right beside another spawn.

Facism

Lince said:

I'll be honest Lince, KZ2 outside of our clan games is a piece of shit. Everybody hosts 32 player servers. 32 player games are just spammy, wasteful messes.

If they make a distinction between ranked/unranked games with future updates, i hope they have a per-map player limit for ranked games.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Facism said:
I'll be honest Lince, KZ2 outside of our clan games is a piece of shit. Everybody hosts 32 player servers. 32 player games are just spammy, wasteful messes.

If they make a distinction between ranked/unranked games with future updates, i hope they have a per-map player limit for ranked games.

? I haven't played in a single 32 player game all week...

Rolf NB

Lince said:
Almost exactly one week before your post (17 minutes later), there were 314950 ranked players. Right now this week is down by around 49k players compared to last week's total, but it has a few more hours left to go so the difference will be smaller -- I think noon GMT is the cut-off, but I didn't catch it last time.

Facism

commish said:
? I haven't played in a single 32 player game all week...

Then you haven't played all week?

:p

Seriously, i know servers with lower playercounts exist, but they are rare for me :(

No_Style

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif

It's counter intuitive. I don't see why GG didn't make it so that people spawn the way you face.

Update for all the 1% guys. 2793's the rank you need right now to get it. Looks like anything around 4600 points should put you right at the edge.

They didn't go out last week until sometime the next day EST, but the week before it only took a couple hours after the week ended.

.GqueB. said:

I think it's a pretty generic thing to follow and post as well. If you follow that then you also need to be comparing/mentioning how much of an increase in total users overall (for new players) the game experienced for the week.

I don't seem to be having a problem locating/finding matches. And I would expect a pretty impressive number if the game displayed the current amount of users online. All games are going to have a huge first few weeks online then people move onto something else. People will come back to it with future updates and DLC.

Also the patches have came rather quickly and with constant communication from GG (unlike Epic with Unreal Tournament) will only help keep the community active. So many games have been released in worse shape and still have a very thriving online community.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
Although the drop, about 280,000 people still played/logged on the multiplayer :) I dont think that anyone need to worry about that everyone will stop to play Killzone 2 anytime soon.

icechai

Lince said:
you mean press triangle in the join game screen ? yeah, it's there but I never use it fearing entering a full party of rocket launchers kids in Radec Academy.

- too many nades
- m4 revolver too powerful (1 shot in the body kill, not hs)
- assault class unbalanced
- boost + lag = impossible to hit

what killzone game are you playing where m4 revolver kills in 1 shot? 2 shots to body, 1 shot to head, 3 shots to body against assault.

.GqueB.

Banned
Cellbomber said:
I think it's a pretty generic thing to follow and post as well. If you follow that then you also need to be comparing/mentioning how much of an increase in total users overall (for new players) the game experienced for the week.

I don't seem to be having a problem locating/finding matches. And I would expect a pretty impressive number if the game displayed the current amount of users online. All games are going to have a huge first few weeks online then people move onto something else. People will come back to it with future updates and DLC.

Also the patches have came rather quickly and with constant communication from GG (unlike Epic with Unreal Tournament) will only help keep the community active. So many games have been released in worse shape and still have a very thriving online community.
Exactly. People move on from games for various reasons and its odd to me that posters here are following these numbers so closely. Especially because they number is so vague and theres no way to really use it in any real way.

Someone can say "60,000 people stopped playing KZ this week" and then someone can easily turn around and say "60,000 people found jobs and no longer have time for KZ2" and another person can say "15,000 people had kids and cant play anymore, 15,000 people found jobs and 30,000 died in car accidents" and they would ALL be well within their right to say these things because there's NO WAY OF KNOWING. So why bother paying attention to such things?

And as you said, we still have no problems finding games so whats all the hubub aboot? Hell I still play WARHAWK and I s have no problem finding games and I highly doubt many people are still playing.

Raist

Banned
.GqueB. said:
its odd to me that posters here are following these numbers so closely.

It's KZ2.
What did you expect? I mean there was an avalanche of youtube video to demonstrate an input lag that was actually similar to other games?

Someone can say "60,000 people stopped playing KZ this week" and then someone can easily turn around and say "60,000 people found jobs and no longer have time for KZ2" and another person can say "15,000 people had kids and cant play anymore, 15,000 people found jobs and 30,000 died in car accidents" and they would ALL be well within their right to say these things because there's NO WAY OF KNOWING. So why bother paying attention to such things?[/QUOTE]

NO IT'S BECAUSE THE GAME IS BROKEN AND GG DOESN'T DO JACK SHIT TO FIX IT. SELL UR COPIES GUYZ TEH PARTY IS OVER

.GqueB.

Banned
Raist said:
NO IT'S BECAUSE THE GAME IS BROKEN AND GG DOESN'T DO JACK SHIT TO FIX IT. SELL UR COPIES GUYZ TEH PARTY IS OVER
*Sells copy*

Twas a good run and a decent attempt, but in the end:

jjsh2r.gif

it ended up being a disaster...

Cagen

BruceLeeRoy said:
Thats my weekly rank I am looking at right?

Okay im #2836 and my Score is 4596 am I close?

How can people still be asking this question? I have seen it be answered so many times and it isn't hard to figure out.

Go to the rankings in game, change the tab to this week check how many pages there are at the bottom right of the screen, times that number by 10. Divide the total by 100 and if you current rank is below that number you are in the 1%. The weekly stats finish being recorded at Midnight GMT on Sunday, there is an influx of players over the weekend so it is better to check during the weekend and play then to boost your rank.

.GqueB.

Banned
Cagen said:
How can people still be asking this question? I have seen it be answered so many times and it isn't hard to figure out.

Go to the rankings in game, change the tab to this week check how many pages there are at the bottom right of the screen, times that number by 10. Divide the total by 100 and
HeadExplode.gif
:lol math

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I'm #2509 for the week with 4845 points.

Going to play 2 more games to be sure then off the bed. Its late here...

Edit: Fuck it, if cut-off was 12 GMT, then I was just outside 1% before then.

Lince

Banned
omg it was just that I wanted the KZ2 community to reach at least 700k every week for the first 2-3 months and get as popular as Halo or CoD... I love the mp except for some issues that will be fixed eventually... and btw, got my 1% honour again (3 times since launch, only missed it last week) so I'm doing my part playing the game :p

times that number by 10. Divide the total by 100

you can do it with just one step, dividing said number / 10

:p

Cagen said:

Go to the rankings in game, change the tab to this week check how many pages there are at the bottom right of the screen, times that number by 10. Divide the total by 100 and if you current rank is below that number you are in the 1%. The weekly stats finish being recorded at Midnight GMT on Sunday, there is an influx of players over the weekend so it is better to check during the weekend and play then to boost your rank.

Dude I am not kidding I am absolutely horrendous at math. Thanks though I have definitely been educated.

Kittonwy

Banned
No_Style said:
It's counter intuitive. I don't see why GG didn't make it so that people spawn the way you face.

Because the dumb fucks will still fuck it up, they're not going to go into a room, then turn around and face the right direction to throw the spawn, they're still going to chuck it into the corner and somehow think other people will be ok with facing the fucking corner. Seriously, tacticians should get rewarded for missions won because good spawns can turn the tide of battlez.
angry.gif

Rolf NB

Lince said:
omg it was just that I wanted the KZ2 community to reach at least 700k every week for the first 2-3 months and get as popular as Halo or CoD... I love the mp except for some issues that will be fixed eventually... and btw, got my 1% honour again (3 times since launch, only missed it last week) so I'm doing my part playing the game :p
Have there ever been hard numbers counting active players for CoD or Halo? I'm curious how they'd stack up to Killzone 2, or anything else for that matter. I just don't remember ever seeing this information disclosed, aside from the usual non-committal "we're doing really well, but we'll never tell you what that even means".

BruceLeeRoy said:
Dude I am not kidding I am absolutely horrendous at math. Thanks though I have definitely been educated.

- Take the total number for the week
- Enter that number into the windows calculator
- hit the divide by symbol
- and put in 1 and then hit the % symbol

Should give you the answer for the top 1% and where you need to be.

Easier method is to look at the number, for examples sake we'll use the current number or players for the week, 280,000.

1% of 280,000 = 2800 (just knock off 2 decimal points)

Lince

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Have there ever been hard numbers counting active players for CoD or Halo? I'm curious how they'd stack up to Killzone 2, or anything else for that matter. I just don't remember ever seeing this information disclosed, aside from the usual non-committal "we're doing really well, but we'll never tell you what that even means".

well I played a lot of Halo 3 the first months and the number of active players was way over one million each week, you could check it in-game... as for CoD I've no idea, never touched the mp.

I created a clan game for this weekend for me my brother cousin and my friend to play but no one signed up. Now I assume that game just gets deleted or something. Were all together though cause we were hoping it would go through. There is no quick clan match you can do or anything right?

test_account

XP-39C²
bcn-ron said:
Bungie.com lists this:

Bungie.com said:
Halo 3 Online

Halo 3 Players Online: 187,037
Unique Players (Last 24 Hours): 915,596
Matches Logged (Last 24 Hours): 2,521,523

Really great numbers i must say. Halo 3 has probably sold something around 9 million copies worldwide by now. Halo 3 had sold (or at least shipped) 8.1 million copies about 1 year ago, so i guess it could be something around 9 million copies sold by now.

We dont know how much Killzone 2 has sold worldwide by now, but going by the leaderboards, where about 790,000 usernames are registered, i would guess that Killzone 2 has sold something around 1 - 1.5 million copies worldwide by now.

I dont know how good this comparison is though. Halo 3 has sold several of millions more copies than what Killzone 2 has, so statisticly it should be logical that more people play Halo 3 online compared to how many peopl that plays Killzone 2. The Halo franchise is also much more popular than what the Killzone franchice is. Halo 3 is however older than Killzone 2, so i think it is impressive that so many people are still playing Halo 3 eventhough that Halo 3 has been out for about 1.5 years now. But again, millions of copies of Halo 3 have been sold and the Halo franchice is very popular :)

Raist

Banned
No_Style said:

Well, it may be (but you only need to drop a nade once and use it to see how it works, how hard is that?) but by doing it this way, it makes it almost impossible to drop a nade that would make people spawn right in front of an obstacle.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Hard to see how we get from 1.1 million pre-orders in Europe to 1.5 millions sales worldwide...

I notice nobody here has suggested that fewer people might be playing because the damn snow has started melting and people can go outside again?

I know, I know - Et Tu, Iain...

belvedere

Junior Butler
Iain Howe said:
Hard to see how we get from 1.1 million pre-orders in Europe to 1.5 millions sales worldwide...

I notice nobody here has suggested that fewer people might be playing because the damn snow has started melting and people can go outside again?

People who so feverishly concern themselves with things such as how many people are/aren't playing Killzone 2 won't lead very rewarding lives.

test_account

XP-39C²
Iain Howe said:
That is a good point, i had forgotten about that, sorry. But it was just a guess from my side :) I would guess maybe closer to at least 1.5 - 2 million copies sold worldwide then? :)

Iain Howe said:

This might actually be a valid reason, that people are spending more time outside than inside to play video games now that the snow is starting to melt :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
belvedere said:
People who so feverishly concern themselves with things such as how many people are/aren't playing Killzone 2 won't lead very rewarding lives.

LOL, so true. Many people have likely not touched MP. I haven't touched SP. When R2 came out, I did not touch MP for about a month, not even logged in once, as I was immersed in the SP.

belvedere said:

These are the same people who are probably wondering why they never get laid. Time to go outside guys.

Top Bottom