• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Anerythristic said:
Is there any weapon that in the real world would use 7.62mm , 5.56mm or 9mm ammo that players of online shooters don't think are overpowered ?

They really need to make a gentlemans dueling online shooter so as not to hurt players feelings. I can announce myself to you, as to not startle you, we can match weapons, square off, pace, turn and fire! :lol

Well, in real life nobody cares as long as they kill the enemy before they kill you. In games however, players get frustrated easily and stop playing your game. Hence the goal is to make a killed player feel he was bested because of skill and that the opponents are on equal footing (balance).

A lot of lesser players don't realize that there are ways to avoid premature death (like not stand in the open in a sniper-friendly map like Pyrrhus Rise), but you need to try and cater to almost everybody in some way.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FFObsessed said:
You didn't notice that they reduced the search features a while a go?

You used to be able to search for games which included body count mode. Now you can only search for games which ONLY have body count mode.

Same with maps. They took off a search option a while a go and I posted and wondered why they did that. So how am I supposed to search for games which have the new maps in the rotation? The map search feature they have now wont do that. I can only search for games which have ONE map in the rotation and only one map.

That's pretty dumb indeed. Why did they do that instead of simply adding a ONLY/ALSO "switch"? You sure there isn't something like that already? Sounds really odd.

KZObsessed

TTP said:
Oh they did that? Never noticed as I simply join via friends/clan members list. But u made it sound like it was something that got magically removed NOW, with this DLC.

I did say "used to" :p

It's now impossible to search for games which contain the new maps in rotation because they removed that feature for no reason.

Waste of £5? Probably.

andycapps

FFObsessed said:
I did say "used to" :p

It's now impossible to search for games which contain the new maps in rotation because they removed that feature for no reason.

Waste of £5? Probably.

Wait what? You cannot search for rooms with only new maps? If so, I'll wait to give them my $6 until that is fixed. The userbase will already be fragmented with some buying and some not, I'd like to be able to play what I just put down good money for.

Click

Banned
Tempy said:
Well, in real life nobody cares as long as they kill the enemy before they kill you. In games however, players get frustrated easily and stop playing your game. Hence the goal is to make a killed player feel he was bested because of skill and that the opponents are on equal footing (balance).

A lot of lesser players don't realize that there are ways to avoid premature death (like not stand in the open in a sniper-friendly map like Pyrrhus Rise), but you need to try and cater to almost everybody in some way.

I really wish they gave you some sort of decision-making power in your company. You seem to actually understand the gamer's point of view and you have common sense, unlike your bosses and the department that makes game design decisions over there at GG.

KZObsessed

TTP said:
That's pretty dumb indeed. Why did they do that instead of simply adding a ONLY/ALSO "switch"? You sure there isn't something like that already? Sounds really odd.

If I remember correctly they did have that. Which is why I don't know why they got rid of it.

I'm absolutely baffled.

spwolf

Click said:
>.>
PoliGAF and all the liberals can go screw themelves...

Damn you read fast, lol.
And that's because SOCOM has been and is still one of my favorite all-time online shooters.
All the SOCOM (Confrontation) haters can go fuck themselves with a knife.

In all honesty, Confrontation is a better game NOW (after all the patches) than KZ2 is. However, I have fun in both games and I got sick of playing Confrontation's maps over and over and over. Kind of the same thing is happening with KZ2 now. Plus, I can't play 2 shooters at the same time and do well in both. Just not my "thing." I'll probably go back to Confrontation soon.

Just "ExploitZone"
It's also been my signature for quite a while on the official forums.

and guess what, most of neogaf shits on Socom all the time (happens every time anything about Socom is mentioned), and most of them never played it, while some are supposedly too much of graphics whores to play Socom (yeah looking at you italiano!)...

GodofWine

Someone please tell us what happens when a new map is in rotation and you don't have that map?

Im honestly at a 50/50 decision on whether to buy the maps, or use KZ2 towards Gamestops 20% trade in bonus for UFC Undisputed.

Click

Banned
spwolf said:
and guess what, most of neogaf shits on Socom all the time (happens every time anything about Socom is mentioned), and most of them never played it, while some are supposedly too much of graphics whores to play Socom (yeah looking at you italiano!)...

I know. It's not just NeoGAF. It most forums I see/visit.

SOCOM games suffer from the worst hate I've ever seen, both from haters/trolls that never played the game before and from the players that actually still play the game, but are never satisfied unless they get EXACTLY what they want, when they want it in their SOCOM games. I don't know what it is about SOCOM that gets so many people riled up to a point where they feel the need to constantly bash it year after year.

I don't want to get off-topic, but SOCOM Confrontation is a really great game. I feel so bad for Slant Six from all the bashing they've been receiving. Sure, the game took a long time to get patched up to a respectable state, but at least /6 actually cares about their game and continually supports it, trying to make it near-perfect... which is more than I can say for most developers these days.

The main problems with Confrontation these days is the fact that the grenade hit detection is still horrible and the fact that it lacks in map count/variety, just like KZ2. Other than that, most of the glitches, lag, and various other broken/missing things in Confrontation has been patched. Oh yeah, and it's retarded how you STILL can't reload if you're falling down ANYTHING, even a 7 inch slope on a hill or something.

As for the graphics, Confrontation looks damn good IMO. The only crappy thing about the graphics are the bushes, shrubs, and tree graphics... which looks like early PS2 pixelated, ugly shit.

Sorry for going off-topic.

RavenFox

Banned
spwolf said:
Have to agree with this

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spwolf said:

:lol you got me.

I even received a free copy from Sony. Sent it to Wollan rightaway. I really tried to like it (I was in the beta group as well), but it just makes my PS3 cry in horror.

Also, loading times are terrible. As well as menu and controls.

Only thing I loved about it was the sound.

Edit: oh and terrible frame rate and aliasing of course.

Click

Banned
TTP said:

I even received a free copy from Sony. Sent it to Wollan rightaway. I really tried to like it (I was in the beta group as well), but it just makes my PS3 cry in horror.

Also, loading times are terrible. As well as menu and controls.

Only thing I loved about it was the sound.

Edit: oh and terrible frame rate and aliasing of course.

You're posting about the launch Confrontation game, not the current, well-patched version.

Again, the game is very different than what it was during beta/launch. In fact, they're getting ready to come out with a large patch (1.5) in 2-3 weeks, which will fix/improve/add more things to the game. They're also working hard on the upcoming DLC that will be released a little while after the 1.5 patch.

Firewire

Banned
Click said:
You're posting about the launch Confrontation game, not the current, well-patched version.

Again, the game is very different than what it was during beta/launch. In fact, they're getting ready to come out with a large patch (1.5) in 2-3 weeks, which will fix/improve/add more things to the game. They're also working hard on the upcoming DLC that will be released a little while after the 1.5 patch.

Socom Confrontation died for me when they patched in the no re-spawn. Seriously I put up with all the stuff that was wacky at launch, it didn't really bother me all that much, well except for the weird way of joining a friend.

But when the no re-spawn patch came out it just killed it, I joined a game got shot within 5 seconds then it wanted me to wait 5 minutes, so I do only to re-spawn take two steps and then get shot again. Talk about taking the fun out of a game for the maybe not so hardcore shooter fan.

Anyways are you planning on getting the map pack? Just curious.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Click said:

No-no. I did check the retail version before sending it to Wollan in disgust. I updated it and all. Felt so technically broken I wanted to get rid of it even if I got it for free.

Perhaps it was because I was coming from a KZ2 eyes massage, but I couldn't stop looking at it wondering "why isn't it running at 120fps"? Damn, COD4 looks better than that and it's a multiplaform title. I pretend more from my PS3 exclusives.

Click

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Played SOCOM for the first time last night, loved it, if you don't communicate and work together you will die.

Which is why so many FPS respawn gamers can never get used to SOCOM games and don't understand what it takes to do well and have fun in Confrontation.

You can't rush and run & gun all the time unless you're an uber SOCOM vet. Even if you are really, really good at the game, other SOCOM vets will still be able to own run & gunners. Newbies can't handle the fact that they'll get owned over and over and over until they decide to play smart and tactically, while having to work with your team to win. They also hate how they can't respawn every 10 seconds after they die just to die again and again and again, but rather, have to sit there watching (and LEARNING) from the living players.

Kittonwy

Banned
Click said:
Which is why so many FPS respawn gamers can never get used to SOCOM games and don't understand what it takes to do well and have fun in Confrontation.

You can't rush and run & gun all the time unless you're an uber SOCOM vet. Even if you are really, really good at the game, other SOCOM vets will still be able to own run & gunners. Newbies can't handle the fact that they'll get owned over and over and over until they decide to play smart and tactically, while having to work with your team to win. They also hate how they can't respawn every 10 seconds after they die just to die again and again and again, but rather, have to sit there watching (and LEARNING) from the living players.

There is a SOCOM thread if you want to talk SOCOM, go there.

WTF with the thread derailment.
Indifferent2.gif

Click

Banned
Firewire said:
Anyways are you planning on getting the map pack? Just curious.

Please refer to the 5th to last PARAGRAPH (not counting sentences) of part 2 of my post on the previous page.

Ahh fuck it, I'll re-quote myself:

"In case you’re wondering, I probably won’t buy the DLC map packs due to principle, not the $6. GG/SCE should have made the first 2 map packs free, due to the low amount of maps available on the disc. I’d have no problem paying for an expansion or a map pack with 4+ maps if the game already came with a healthy amount of maps. But it didn’t, so I most likely won’t support GG/SCE’s “nickel and diming” ways. It’s going to be interesting to see how much the KZ2 community will suffer and how badly it will be divided as a result of this decision. A consistently declining playerbase being divided 2 months after the game’s release is a very stupid thing to allow to happen on GG/SCE’s part."

TTP said:
No-no. I did check the retail version before sending it to Wollan in disgust. I updated it and all. Felt so technically broken I wanted to get rid of it even if I got it for free.

Perhaps it was because I was coming from a KZ2 eyes massage, but I couldn't stop looking at it wondering "why isn't it running at 120fps"? Damn, COD4 looks better than that and it's a multiplaform title. I pretend more from my PS3 exclusives.

120 FPS? KZ2? LOL...

CoD4 is extremely popular for many reasons. The graphics being above average is one of those reasons. Doesn't mean SOCOM Confrontation looks like shit though.

Again, I'd recommend playing it (extensively) again, before posting opinions about the game. The game is vastly improved from what it was 5/6 months ago.

Kittonwy said:
There is a SOCOM thread if you want to talk SOCOM, go there.

WTF with the thread derailment.
Indifferent2.gif

Wow, the ultimate KZ2/GG fanboy and R2 troll finally woke up and graced us with a hypocrite post.

If you got a dollar for every time you derailed a topic in the name of KZ2 or against R2, you could probably buy a new PS3.

BTW, I did apologize for going off-topic, which is a lot more than I can say for you and your trolling ways.

Plus, many other posters here are willingly discussing SOCOM Confrontation, not just me. But thanks for singling me out, Kitton.

Firewire

Banned
Click said:
Please refer to the 5th to last PARAGRAPH (not counting sentences) of part 2 of my post on the previous page.

Ahh fuck it, I'll re-quote myself:

"In case you’re wondering, I probably won’t buy the DLC map packs due to principle, not the $6. GG/SCE should have made the first 2 map packs free, due to the low amount of maps available on the disc. I’d have no problem paying for an expansion or a map pack with 4+ maps if the game already came with a healthy amount of maps. But it didn’t, so I most likely won’t support GG/SCE’s “nickel and diming” ways. It’s going to be interesting to see how much the KZ2 community will suffer and how badly it will be divided as a result of this decision. A consistently declining playerbase being divided 2 months after the game’s release is a very stupid thing to allow to happen on GG/SCE’s part."

120 FPS? KZ2? LOL...

CoD4 is extremely popular for many reasons. The graphics being above average is one of those reasons. Doesn't mean SOCOM Confrontation looks like shit though.

Again, I'd recommend playing it (extensively) again, before posting opinions about the game. The game is vastly improved from what it was 5/6 months ago.

Wow, the ultimate KZ2/GG fanboy and R2 troll finally woke up and graced us with a hypocrite post.

If you got a dollar for every time you derailed a topic in the name of KZ2 or against R2, you could probably buy a new PS3.

BTW, I did apologize for going off-topic, which is a lot more than I can say for you and your trolling ways.

Plus, many other posters here are willingly discussing SOCOM Confrontation, not just me. But thanks for singling me out, Kitton.

I don't expect to get something for nothing! And what will you do if Slant 6 comes out with a similar 2 map pack for $6? Will you buy it?

In regards to Socom not being the same game 5-6 months after its release that's true, but are you willing to give GG the same grace period to improve upon things?

Kittonwy is entitled to an opinion just like you, do you need to be so harsh?

Anyways lets get back on topic!

YoungHav

Banned
I was looking forward to SOCOM but avoided b/c of the early reviews. Are there any critics that went back and reviewed the patched version? I know the fault is on Slant 6/SONY for launching a faulty product but critics should've updated their reviews to reflect the current game.

How many maps are in Confrontation currently? The lack of maps in this game is weak and the two new ones don't look that great to be honest. I would've rather liked this game to have had more maps out the box than GG/Sony spending millions trying to give us optical orgasms. Single player story was crap and I don't see myself replaying it after I get my platinum trophy.

Click

Banned
Firewire said:
I don't expect to get something for nothing! And what will you do if Slant 6 comes out with a similar 2 map pack for $6? Will you buy it?

In regards to Socom not being the same game 5-6 months after its release that's true, but are you willing to give GG the same grace period to improve upon things?

Kittonwy is entitled to an opinion just like you, do you need to be so harsh?

Anyways lets get back on topic!

It depends on several unknown variables.
But if it's just 2 maps, most likely not.

Edit: Also, SOCOM Confrontation and KZ2 are somewhat hard to compare in this regard.
Confrontation for many people, was a very cheap game to purchase, some paying anywhere from $5-$15. I actually got it for "free," because I bought the package with the headset and game for $40. Another thing to consider, is the fact that GG is a larger development company compared to /6. They have much more financial backing, a lot more development time put into KZ2 compared to Confrontation, more everything. /6 is also a relatively new developer (Confrontation being their first game developed) while GG are more experienced and KZ2 is what? Their 3rd Killzone game?

So to me, paying for DLC in Confrontation is a lot easier for me to do than it is to pay GG/SCE for their pathetic 2 maps, 2 months after the game released, regardless of the price.

Again, it's not about the $6.
I have an unopened PAL Steelbook version of KZ2 sitting right next to my opened, regular, U.S. KZ2.
Would I have paid for 2 copies of the same game, 1 being a collector's version and had to import it, if I cared about paying 6 measly bucks for extra maps?

If GG can make significant and proper changes, I may come back to KZ2 in 4 months if/when I decide to quit the game (which is looking probable as of now). So yes, I'd give them that grace period but that doesn't mean my criticisms aren't valid, nor does it mean that the game isn't very flawed right now.

Kittonwy trolled R2 hardcore for months on end, even after I bitched him out in the official R2 thread and asked him several times to stop. In fact, he still trolls R2 from time to time. He doesn't merely share his opinion of games he likes/dsilikes. He bashed R2 every chance he got like Insomniac raped him or something. It's actually very annoying and disturbing. Not to mention how big of a fanboy and blind defender he is of KZ2 and GG....

That's why I was "so harsh" in my response to his hypocritical post.
Plus, I'm a very blunt person and speak my mind, regardless of consequences.
Doesn't mean I don't consider Kittonwy a relatively good PSN friend though... :D

stupid f'n qwest!!! I got home early last night so I could play with you guys, and my internet connection is down. I call them up and they say they are doing work in my area and it will be out anywhere from a day to 48 hours. bastards, i wanted tow ork on getting my 1% trophy.

Rolf NB

alba said:
No CC means I can't buy the mappack and since SCEE are morons and won't release PSN cards in europe, I'm basically screwed... should've imported the US version I guess :(

*sadmonkeeface*
Just get a CC already. Soon enough you will thank SCEE for opening up your international buying options.

AllGamer

I bought them :p

The new ranks are crazy. I have 10k points and got the second one "General of the Army" but to get the third one "Commander in Chief" you need 100k points o_O , and I have seen many players already running around with the last rank

Lince

Banned
been playing the new maps with FFO, Rick and some other guys... well, if you're expecting something remotely similar to Salamun Market goodness... don't buy them, just two more maps like Blood Gracht, 100% clusterfuck 0% tactical gameplay, C4 and shotguns paradise,
they're visually appealing though.

and yes, there was an option I used A LOT just to get in servers with Salamun Market in the rotation, last patch changed that option so it looks for servers that only have the specified map in the rotation, a shame. I don't know why they took this convenient filter out, boggles the mind.

I think Slant Six fucked up the SOCOM name, lots of people were complaining about it on the Beta. Slant Six is doing to SOCOM what Sonic Team did to Sonic, turning a quality franchise into garbage.

Click

Banned
AllGamer said:
I have seen many players already running around with the last rank

Unless you've been playing in games where the top 44 players on the Leaderboards congregate often (not likely), you're probably confused with the ranks you saw or your definition of "many players" is very different from what I think it is. =P

AranhaHunter said:
I think Slant Six fucked up the SOCOM name, lots of people were complaining about it on the Beta. Slant Six is doing to SOCOM what Sonic Team did to Sonic, turning a quality franchise into garbage.

Oh boy.
Not even going to bother... *sigh*

Wollan

TTP said:
I even received a free copy from Sony. Sent it to Wollan rightaway.... ...it just makes my PS3 cry in horror.
TTP said:
No-no. I did check the retail version before sending it to Wollan in disgust.
What treachery is this?
Lol, no actually I don't mind being your waste bucket. <3

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:
been playing the new maps with FFO, Rick and some other guys... well, if you're expecting something remotely similar to Salamun Market goodness... don't buy them, just two more maps like Blood Gracht, 100% clusterfuck 0% tactical gameplay, C4 and shotguns paradise,

Agree. This is 8 players max stuff. Sadly, both have S&D points close to each other.
Cruiser is the less appealing due to more apparent aliasing and some frame drops here and there.
Trains map is basically a more visually appealing version of Tharsis Depot. Love the environmental sound in that map.

Rolf NB

Lince said:
I was about to say, the new maps don't seem very good.Maybe we were too few players, or too many, whatever, but Wasteland Bullet in particular is just nonsense. Blindly thrown grenades everywhere.
Vekta Cruiser could be nice, but I think they're really overdoing it with the asymmetry there.

I actually think Blood Gracht is a fun map for smaller games, except for S&D, but most maps (all but Visari Hammer) fall apart on S&D so that's fair game in my book.

edit: I personally blame Zipper.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dk_ said:
€5,99 for two new maps? :lol

Yeah. That's more than US dudes are paying. :(

I was expecting a fair conversion (6 Dollars = 4,5 Euros) but all they did was switching $ and € symbols. So we get 6 Euros = 8 Dollars.

Europe assfucked again. A shame.

ANDREW HOUSE BURN IN HELL!

TTP said:
Yeah. That's more than US dudes are paying. :(

I was expecting a fair conversion (6 Dollars = 4,5 Euros) but all they did is switching $ and € symbols (6 Euros = 8 Dollars).
Silly question, but the maps from us store wont work with yuro game/ps3?

Top Bottom