• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dude, Click, I totally feel ya brah. Like I was playing Halo 3 the other night and like I was cruising and bruising (That's my metaphor for KICKING MAJOR ASS) any covenant scum that stood in my way. I was having the time of my life, there were some nagging problems though (WTF the assault rifle is officially nerfed? why don't plasma weapons do damage over time?)

Anyway, I reach the level "Cortana" (the most obviously flawed portion of the game). Dude like.. WTF, we're they thinking? seriously? flesh colored environment.. flesh colored enemies and a shitload of them.. full of cheap deaths, weapon placement is NON-EXISTENT (Where the fuck do rockets/swords/grenades spawn?) the biggest offender and the main reason it sucked SO much as because the flood "AI" (if you even want to call it that is.. fucking not even well.. does have any AI???

They don't flank or coordinate their attacks to adapt to combat situations, etc.

Fuck Bungie. Granted I was playing on "Legendary" (more like, cheap deaths galore..) and granted it was just that specific level that possessed the more notable flaws, I think they need to be schooled in proper game design. And I as type this I'm sending my "list of flaws and how to improve your own product" via email.. I might even hit they're message boards.

It doesn't stop there.. I'm looking at you COD4 (Mile High Club.. srsly, WTF!? oh, and don't get me started on it's online leveling system.. Fuck you Infinity ward), COD5 (Any level on veteran.. not to mention they went back to WW2. fuck you, Treyarch), Halo, Halo 2, Far Cry, Redneck Rampage, Duke Nukem 64 (Yeah, how about I cut off your head and shit down your neck.. oh wait. 3D realms lol), and last but not least KZ2 (Just because I choose to play on "Elite" shouldn't mean I require "Elite" skills to beat it.. Fuck you uhh, Iain Howe.. yeah?)

...Ok, I'm done. But seriously. You did choose the difficulty "Elite" right? ..well, conclusion. You fail at life. Next time, choose the difficulty that's right for you. Themoreyouknowshootingstar.gif

P.S. And yes, Cortana was a terrible level. But hell... if I reacted like you, I never would of beaten the game. And Cortana IS an example of terrible level design. Some might view that differently though.

Peggle for iphone. Yay.

EDIT: I apologize for contributing to the de-railing. Did they release the new map pack yet? if so, are they worth d/ling? >.>

Rolf NB

Map pack is already out.
Vekta Cruiser is a tightly knit colorful web of corridors and pretty decent, except for S&D, but there's only one map in the entire game where S&D works well, so I'm not sure that's even a fault.
Wasteland Bullet is a noisy brown train with way too many ammo crates. You can get punched off. It's alright.

Cruzader

Banned
Assembly Required said:
Dude, Click, I totally feel ya brah. Like I was playing Halo 3 the other night and like I was cruising and bruising (That's my metaphor for KICKING MAJOR ASS) any covenant scum that stood in my way. I was having the time of my life, there were some nagging problems though (WTF the assault rifle is officially nerfed? why don't plasma weapons do damage over time?)

Anyway, I reach the level "Cortana" (the most obviously flawed portion of the game). Dude like.. WTF, we're they thinking? seriously? flesh colored environment.. flesh colored enemies and a shitload of them.. full of cheap deaths, weapon placement is NON-EXISTENT (Where the fuck do rockets/swords/grenades spawn?) the biggest offender and the main reason it sucked SO much as because the flood "AI" (if you even want to call it that is.. fucking not even well.. does have any AI???

They don't flank or coordinate their attacks to adapt to combat situations, etc.

Fuck Bungie. Granted I was playing on "Legendary" (more like, cheap deaths galore..) and granted it was just that specific level that possessed the more notable flaws, I think they need to be schooled in proper game design. And I as type this I'm sending my "list of flaws and how to improve your own product" via email.. I might even hit they're message boards.

It doesn't stop there.. I'm looking at you COD4 (Mile High Club.. srsly, WTF!? oh, and don't get me started on it's online leveling system.. Fuck you Infinity ward), COD5 (Any level on veteran.. not to mention they went back to WW2. fuck you, Treyarch), Halo, Halo 2, Far Cry, Redneck Rampage, Duke Nukem 64 (Yeah, how about I cut off your head and shit down your neck.. oh wait. 3D realms lol), and last but not least KZ2 (Just because I choose to play on "Elite" shouldn't mean I require "Elite" skills to beat it.. Fuck you uhh, Iain Howe.. yeah?)

...Ok, I'm done. But seriously. You did choose the difficulty "Elite" right? ..well, conclusion. You fail at life. Next time, choose the difficulty that's right for you. Themoreyouknowshootingstar.gif

P.S. And yes, Cortana was a terrible level. But hell... if I reacted like you, I never would of beaten the game. And Cortana IS an example of terrible level design. Some might view that differently though.

Peggle for iphone. Yay.

EDIT: I apologize for contributing to the de-railing. Did they release the new map pack yet? if so, are they worth d/ling? >.>

ahh, great post man.

I agree with click but pisses me me he labels anyone who doesnt have the same issues as him as a "blind fanboy"...wtf man.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BruceLeeRoy said:
WTF is happening in this thread? Where did all the love go?
Scary isnt?
I really really dont understand gamers today. Im old. :D

Just wondering, how are the GAF clans holding up? Still pretty active? (tournaments, meet-ups, etc.) or did they suffer the MGO effect and slowly began to disband? It's been a while since I've last played.

Click

Banned
Cruzader said:
I agree with click but pisses me me he labels anyone who doesnt have the same issues as him as a "blind fanboy"...wtf man.

See, I wouldn't be so hostile if people would stop making shit up about me, putting words in mouth, or simply talk out their asses 24/7 in here.

Where in the world did I "label anyone who doesn't have the same issues as me" as a "blind fanboy?" Please, go find some examples of me saying this.

The ONLY time I labeled ANYONE a "blind fanboy" was when I called Kittonwy one. That's because he is a blind KZ2/GG fanboy and I was telling the truth.

Oh and 'ASSembly Required," dude, brah, you failed at making your snarky post funny. Oh noes! I fail at life! I'm so hurt and saddened. Please, be more original if you want to flame me.

Facism

Assembly Required said:
Just wondering, how are the GAF clans holding up? Still pretty active? (tournaments, meet-ups, etc.) or did they suffer the MGO effect and slowly began to disband? It's been a while since I've last played.

Well, within the first 2 weeks, most of GAFe stopped playing. There's about 16 of us or so that still play regularly, and that number was going to drop when the map packs hit and GG started treating us without DLC as second class players.

Now nobody plays those shitty, godawful spammy maps, kind of making the server limitations for nonDLC players kind of moot.

/bitter UT veteran

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Assembly Required said:
I stopped playing KZ2 MP... the spawn spoint madness was enough for me. Im replaying the SP Campaign now (Im enjoying it more than the first time), and after im probably play against bots.
But Lince and FFObsessed and other guys from GAFe play every week.

Click

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

It left once people like me and Lince decided to challenge the status quo and point out Killzone 2's many flaws. Certain posters can't handle the fact that this game has many problems and can't read about it without responding in an illogical and antagonistic fashion.

Oh, I've wanted to say that I really appreciate you making that superb OP. I wasn't able to tell you this when you first made it, but I'll say it now. It would have been awesome if GG incorporated all that information you dug up in regards to the background history of Killzone, into the actual game.

I'll take a break from this thread and hope GG will balance this game and fix all the shit that's wrong with it. I'll leave you all to your happy, circlejerk, utopian thread. Don't worry everyone, KZ2 is an awesome game and GG is an amazing developer who will patch this game to near-perfection in no time! Peace and love, yo!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This thread is just sad. Too many haters. There's pointing out a game's flaws once; then there's being a hater. Some people have crossed the line longggggg ago.

Dave1988

Facism said:
Well, within the first 2 weeks, most of GAFe stopped playing. There's about 16 of us or so that still play regularly, and that number was going to drop when the map packs hit and GG started treating us without DLC as second class players.

Now nobody plays those shitty, godawful spammy maps, kind of making the server limitations for nonDLC players kind of moot.

/bitter UT veteran

Which reminds me...I need to get back into KZ2

But Persona 4 and University work won't let meeee >_<

KZObsessed

BruceLeeRoy said:

All the love has been stolen by the GAFe circle jerk
gladtomeetya.gif

Yeah, I completely lost interest in the game. I was pretty hyped for it but it failed to meet my expectations in a lot of areas. I just didn't find any fun in it, and with so many games that deliver for me right now (Demon's Souls, VC, L4D, VC) I just have no drive to play any more. I think I put about 15 hours into the multiplayer. Maybe an hour into the campaign.

I'd like to play the campaign through some day...but I bought it for the multi and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ah well, it happens. I'm glad some of you get enjoyment out of it.

Dave1988

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, I completely lost interest in the game. I was pretty hyped for it but it failed to meet my expectations in a lot of areas. I just didn't find any fun in it, and with so many games that deliver for me right now (Demon's Souls, VC, L4D, VC) I just have no drive to play any more. I think I put about 15 hours into the multiplayer. Maybe an hour into the campaign.

I'd like to play the campaign through some day...but I bought it for the multi and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

It's not that I lost interest in the game. It's just that P4 is so mind-blowingly awesome that I can't get enough of it.

FFObsessed said:
Join us for the Wednesday final please Mr Dave.

Of course I will be there. The absence last week was a fuckup on my side.

Dave1988 said:
It's not that I lost interest in the game. It's just that P4 is so mind-blowingly awesome that I can't get enough of it.

Of course I will be there. The absence last week was a fuckup on my side.

Ya, actually I didn't mean to quote you.

And to say I lost interest is being kind. I dislike the multiplayer on several levels. I think it's one of the biggest letdowns in recent memory.

I take what I said earlier back, Engineer is a really powerful class.

Does anyone wanna help me in getting the more annoying, hard to get badges? Send me a PM here if you do.

Click said:
It left once people like me and Lince decided to challenge the status quo and point out Killzone 2's many flaws. Certain posters can't handle the fact that this game has many problems and can't read about it without responding in an illogical and antagonistic fashion.

Oh, I've wanted to say that I really appreciate you making that superb OP. I wasn't able to tell you this when you first made it, but I'll say it now. It would have been awesome if GG incorporated all that information you dug up in regards to the background history of Killzone, into the actual game.

I'll take a break from this thread and hope GG will balance this game and fix all the shit that's wrong with it. I'll leave you all to your happy, circlejerk, utopian thread. Don't worry everyone, KZ2 is an awesome game and GG is an amazing developer who will patch this game to near-perfection in no time! Peace and love, yo!

Thanks man I appreciate it. I was pretty disappointed seeing how much effort they have put in to creating a compelling universe and story and having not of that really appear in the finished game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Assembly Required said:

I've been away for a couple of days but we've been playing regularly as far as I know, I don't know about GAFe but I haven't seen GAFA in tournaments lately but we need more practice.

Kittonwy

Banned
commish said:
This thread is just sad. Too many haters. There's pointing out a game's flaws once; then there's being a hater. Some people have crossed the line longggggg ago.

There are some valid criticisms but also some over-reaction, there are things they can and will likely fix and some they probably can't and won't, but that's the same with most games, KZ2 is not perfect but obviously not this "heavily flawed" game as some would like to portray it as. I would like some kind of party system as I like playing with friends against strangers but I doubt that's going to make it in, as it is right now it's still by far my favorite shooter, not sure how that makes me a "blind GG/KZ2 fanboy" though. I like this game, if someone doesn't then he shouldn't play it, simple as that.

Kittonwy

Banned
gregor7777 said:

Have you played with one of the clans when we're not screwing around? It's a lot of fun, they've fixed a few things since launch, it's still not perfect but then I'm not sure why MP was such a letdown for you.

lunlunqq

Stop whining. let's praise the new love i just found yesterday which is the awesome SMG!!! i've been pretty much a pew pew rifle exclusive user before yesterday. then i discovered the SMG is a headshot machine. i headshot ppl even when i was not aiming for the head... it's just that awesome!!!

Click said:
No, I never claimed "being hard is bad game design." I prefer to play games that are "hard." Being a hard or difficult game is one thing. But being a frustrating game is another.

No, Hard/Elite modes aren't supposed to be "kind of frustrating." They're supposed to be more CHALLENGING.

Easy/Normal modes are for newbies to the FPS genre and n00bs that can't aim/use their head. The more difficult modes are meant to be played by veterans of the FPS genre, good players, and/or people looking for more of a challenge.... not more frustration. Simple as that.

dude.....i can see your point on alot of things man. Look to my previous reply. but chiiiiillll out!

Kittonwy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Stop whining. let's praise the new love i just found yesterday which is the awesome SMG!!! i've been pretty much a pew pew rifle exclusive user before yesterday. then i discovered the SMG is a headshot machine. i headshot ppl even when i was not aiming for the head... it's just that awesome!!!

Yeah but you have to remember that without teh pew pew riflez you'll be no match against me and my m82 in long range encounters.
Indifferent2.gif

lunlunqq

Kittonwy said:
I've been away for a couple of days but we've been playing regularly as far as I know, I don't know about GAFe but I haven't seen GAFA in tournaments lately but we need more practice.

Yup, we are still going strong. I urge everyone here to play with Lyulf. He's our special Op who is excellent at waging psychological warfare against our enemies (occasionally friends too). He annoys the hell out of ppl. When i was playing with him, i laugh so hard that i cant hold my controller steady. :lol

lunlunqq

Kittonwy said:
Yeah but you have to remember that without teh pew pew riflez you'll be no match against me and my m82 in long range encounters.
Indifferent2.gif

True. But if i switch to the SMG, I will change my game routine and avoid long distance encounters. you can't just change the weapon. you have to change your play style together with the weapon.

Kittonwy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Yup, we are still going strong. I urge everyone here to play with Lyulf. He's our special Op who is excellent at waging psychological warfare against our enemies (occasionally friends too). He annoys the hell out of ppl. When i was playing with him, i laugh so hard that i cant hold my controller steady. :lol

Lyulf is teh trash-talking suicide bomber.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Have you played with one of the clans when we're not screwing around? It's a lot of fun, they've fixed a few things since launch, it's still not perfect but then I'm not sure why MP was such a letdown for you.

Well, I was in GAFE2 originally, but I asked a few times for an invite to the new clan but didn't get one.

As for why I don't enjoy it: it's a mix of the community, the controls, the spamming, the spawn points, the way leveling system is implemented, the uninspired (artistically) maps and the lack of party system of the top of my head.

I just don't find it a lot of fun; and the situation looks worse side by side with some of the FPSs I play regularly.

Before the defense brigade jumps in (not talking about you) let me add this: IMO.

Kittonwy

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Nice! Hopefully, they got their asses handed to them so badly during that night that they fixed most of the major issues with nerf weapons :D

Oh and lyulf is an asshole when he's not on your team... I loved that "Lyulf vs GAF" match at Pyrrhus Rise :lol :lol

There's probably a code in the patch that prevents Aj from getting killz.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Well, I was in GAFE2 originally, but I asked a few times for an invite to the new clan but didn't get one.

As for why I don't enjoy it: it's a mix of the community, the controls, the spamming, the spawn points, the way leveling system is implemented, the uninspired (artistically) maps and the lack of party system of the top of my head.

I just don't find it a lot of fun; and the situation looks worse side by side with some of the FPSs I play regularly.

Before the defense brigade jumps in (not talking about you) let me add this: IMO.

Try playing with GAFA or GAFe. I think once you get used to going to clan page and joining people it gets better, playing with randoms on the same team sometimes is not as fun, depending on how good the randoms are, I've seen some really skilled randoms and playing with those is fun. Didn't they patch the controls a bit? It's still got the weight, so if you don't like the weight I guess you won't like it.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
Try playing with GAFA or GAFe. I think once you get used to going to clan page and joining people it gets better, playing with randoms on the same team sometimes is not as fun, depending on how good the randoms are, I've seen some really skilled randoms and playing with those is fun. Didn't they patch the controls a bit? It's still got the weight, so if you don't like the weight I guess you won't like it.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah, playing with the clans would probably fix my beef with the pubs, and also keep in mind, I despise the DS3 for FPS games. Add that to the fact that I find the controls sluggish and unresponsive, yet oddly over sensitive at times (and I prefer heavy controls in console FPSs) and you can see my beef.

At this point it's a matter of trying to find fun in the game, and I just don't have the willingness to do that with this game.

Zen

Banned
People stop acting like defensive man children!

Anyway I got the 1% Trophy, goody for me. I want to get back into MGO, but All this time that I've been 'forced' to play KZ2 Online has made me really enjoy it. Darnit!

Regardless of if he's right or wrong on one niggling instance here or there, people can't deal with Clicks truth bombs. :p Although I don't remmeber there being infinite respawn on the bridge section, I'll have to test that.

lunlunqq

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

the only problem with that is sometimes it makes the teams terribly unbalanced... last night i was on the opposite team against GAF at least twice to try to make the teams balanced... both times my team was owned by GAF hard... it was not fun. :(

JardeL

lunlunqq said:
the only problem with that is sometimes it makes the teams terribly unbalanced... last night i was on the opposite team against GAF at least twice to try to make the teams balanced... both times my team was owned by GAF hard... it was not fun. :(
Yeah , people should learn to use Auto Balance...

By the way , never experienced this problem b4 , and never seen it also ;

15ygzr.jpg

Am I banned or what ?.. :lol

FIX THIS SHIT GG!!!

Ok, its been a little while since the game came out and didn't want to say this after day 1. I just don't find the game fun. Coming off of Killzone 1 which I thought was really great when it was released and I was one of the few staunch defenders of it I was really looking forward to this.

Beyond the sludgy feel which I both like and don't, the game makes one fatal flaw...the enemies are boring to fight. They run out, turtle behind something and force you to be the one that gives up his cover. Otherwise you stand where you are and shoot at 6 pixels of bald head at 50 meters.

Does it look great, yeah it does. Is is well crafted, yeah. It is excellent in near every facet expect for the enemy AI which breaks the single player.

beast786

Warm Machine said:
Ok, its been a little while since the game came out and didn't want to say this after day 1. I just don't find the game fun. Coming off of Killzone 1 which I thought was really great when it was released and I was one of the few staunch defenders of it I was really looking forward to this.

Beyond the sludgy feel which I both like and don't, the game makes one fatal flaw...the enemies are boring to fight. They run out, turtle behind something and force you to be the one that gives up his cover. Otherwise you stand where you are and shoot at 6 pixels of bald head at 50 meters.

Does it look great, yeah it does. Is is well crafted, yeah. It is excellent in near every facet expect for the enemy AI which breaks the single player.

I agree 100%. I expect great AI to walk in front of my bullets. Damn You GG.

Warm Machine said:
the enemies are boring to fight. They run out, turtle behind something and force you to be the one that gives up his cover. Otherwise you stand where you are and shoot at 6 pixels of bald head at 50 meters.

So the enemies act as if they don't want to be shot?

Thats bizarre.

Seriously its not that hard to get them out of cover, grenades do it well. If you don't have any try approaching from a different angle.

Kittonwy

Banned
Warm Machine said:

I disagree, the enemy AI is the best part about the game, the game is more about the player and the enemy AIs trying to outflank each other than waiting for enemies to stupidly rush you which they don't really do.

TheFatOne

lunlunqq said:

Nah that was a lot of fun. I was like bam suck on my rocket CJ. I told you to join the darkside but you refused to switch to rockets.

lunlunqq said:

Psychological warfare is what it's all about baby. The best part about it is that you can't get inside the steel trap of a mind I have mwhahahahahah

shagg_187 said:
Nice! Hopefully, they got their asses handed to them so badly during that night that they fixed most of the major issues with nerf weapons :D

Oh and lyulf is an asshole when he's not on your team... I loved that "Lyulf vs GAF" match at Pyrrhus Rise :lol :lol

I was like teh ninja. Going behind GAF setting spawns up. I wanted it to be 10-1 but the two people didn't want to switch. I need a catch phrase to say when I kill people though. If anyone has ideas let me know. BTW we have to capture these games we have. They are hilarious.

beast786 said:
I agree 100%. I expect great AI to walk in front of my bullets. Damn You GG.

Obviously that is what I meant and want.

There is a happy medium here. You can go to Goldeneye where enemies made next to no effort to hide and instead got mowed down spectacularily in cramped hallways. That is really entertaining to watch and fun to play but dumb as dirt.

Then you have the tactical feel of Half-Life or Halo series where the player has some effort to flank and puts the enemies on the move by doing so which is also fun for me.

Recently I've been playing Fear 2 where there is sort of a balance between those 2, once again fun.

Killzone 2 has them getting cover and sticking to it...forever. Even running to flank they sit there never giving up their spot. In my play through of much of the single player (l just got to the power armor section) shooting at the AI has been this frustrating mix of straight up turtling and more interesting combat sections. Maybe it isn't so much the AI but the pace of sections and drastic swings in their behavior based on combat situations. Never the less, I'm just not having the fun that everything else in the game is telling me I should.

spwolf

Warm Machine said:
Obviously that is what I meant and want.

There is a happy medium here. You can go to Goldeneye where enemies made next to no effort to hide and instead got mowed down spectacularily in cramped hallways. That is really entertaining to watch and fun to play but dumb as dirt.

Then you have the tactical feel of Half-Life or Halo series where the player has some effort to flank and puts the enemies on the move by doing so which is also fun for me.

Recently I've been playing Fear 2 where there is sort of a balance between those 2, once again fun.

Killzone 2 has them getting cover and sticking to it...forever. Even running to flank they sit there never giving up their spot. In my play through of much of the single player (l just got to the power armor section) shooting at the AI has been this frustrating mix of straight up turtling and more interesting combat sections. Maybe it isn't so much the AI but the pace of sections and drastic swings in their behavior based on combat situations. Never the less, I'm just not having the fun that everything else in the game is telling me I should.

so far the best post of the year. :D

KZ2 is not realistic shooter, but it is far more realistic than most of them - and no, enemies in real life do not jump in front of you so you can easily kill them.

Your complaint is that AI adjusts to different scenario really well... think about that.

it reminds me how someone in infamous thread posted how enemies blend in too well :D

Top Bottom