• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TTP said:
Only video for now. And why do they have to be free?
mhmhm because im poor and i dont have the funds to buy it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Facism said:
[edit]TTP, why'd they have to be a vehicle for community segmentation? GAFe regulars will tell you i was ready to give up on KZ2 mp because I couldn't join them on a stock map because the DLC was in rotation. Things like that sour my taste of the game, and are more serious than the pissing trifle that is playercount.

I understand that, but every other game map pack has been delivered like that (at a price and fragmenting community). I don't understand why Killzone 2 should do it differently.

Cagen

I was burned by the terrible maps in the first map pack, do I gamble another £5? I've never played the original Killzone so I am not familiar with the maps in question.

The_Shambler

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the Killzone 2 save file is saved locally? I recently had to get my PS3 replaced due to the BD drive failure & when I restored my backup, there was no Killzone 2 save file there.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The_Shambler said:
Does anyone know if the Killzone 2 save file is saved locally? I recently had to get my PS3 replaced due to the BD drive failure & when I restored my backup, there was no Killzone 2 save file there.

Guerilla Games though it was an awesome decision to copyprotect the Killzone 2 save file. So no, it's not possible to move it to another system. Your online progression is safe. Campaign is back to zero.

I keep trying to get back to playing this game daily, but the bullshit that keeps going on in this game makes me want to stomp a cat.

such as uneven teams, it should be faction balance for every goddamn game except unranked ones.

the assault class, what else is there to say about this shitfucking class which hasn't been said before.

game modes that don't work in certain maps, such as Assasination in smaller maps, Radec Academy, Tharsis Depot and Blood Gratch.

and other bullshit like death lag, disconnections etc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Once again we are taking a nostalgic journey back to the original Killzone by providing you two new levels in a pack Guerrilla Games has called "Flash and Thunder". The two levels are odes to the Beach Head and Southern Hills levels from the first Killzone. Both are fan favorites from the first game, but have been re-envisioned with Killzone 2's engine and overall technology. The levels also offer a unique twist that will truly keep players on their toes, so watch out for an explosive gameplay element that will have you running for cover...or risk a quick death.

In the Beach Head map, the ISA must defend their stronghold after the Helghast land on the sandy Vektan beaches. As torrential rain and gale-force winds batter the landscape, the relatively small size of the level creates a frantic hand-to-hand battleground, with the water filled craters supplying only limited cover. Picking your way across the harsh terrain, you will find many opportunities to sneak up on the enemy and take them down at close range. And if you’re able to get to them in one piece, there are also lots of higher ground sniper spots to explore…

In the Southern Hills map, the battle takes place around a central Helghast base on top of a hill. The compound is surrounded by smaller structures, creating a level that facilitates close-quarter fights within the built-up areas, as well as long-range shoot-outs in-between them. Ideal for 24 to 32 player games, the base camps in this version have been beefed up considerably, so expect to find more hiding places than in the original Killzone counterpart.

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2009/5/20-67

Bolded part means they should be playable with 16.

The_Shambler said:
Oh man, so I've got to do it all again!?

yes :/

TheFatOne

TTP said:
They should fix it first.

There are fundamental shit they can't fix. Like how they set up some of the maps. Why on earth is there a sniping camp inside the base of BG. A good sniper will make it almost impossible to win search and destroy, or how the Helghast have the search and destroy right next to each other while the ISA have them in two separate rooms in BG. My personal favorite though is that I can hide inside my own fucking base for assassination in Helghan Industries GG did a fantastic job with the map layouts.

TTP said:
http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2009/5/20-67

Bolded part means they should be playable with 16.

yes :/

Yes just what Killzone 2 needs two smaller maps. Hoooray GG you are the best

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TTP said:
Opens spaces as well. Good.

Wonder what's up with that explosion at the end of the video. Does everyone get wiped out randomly during matches? :lol

Perhaps you don't have to stay in the open when that happens.

Not very clear in that small video, but it's raining in Beach Head.

And yes, in Southern Hills an ISA cruiser will shoot down, nuking everybody who isn't inside. This happens every 5 minutes. An alarm goes off, so there's ample warning.

neoism

Not trolling the controls or anything, but has there been a update or anything to make that lag go away, I've been wanting to get this, but I didn't like the controls in the demo!

Kuroyume

Banned
Tempy said:
And yes, in Southern Hills an ISA cruiser will shoot down, nuking everybody who isn't inside. This happens every 5 minutes.

Good thing we have engineers to block exists with turrets. :p

TheFatOne said:
Yes just what Killzone 2 needs two smaller maps. Hoooray GG you are the best

The small maps are the best. Salamun is the exception.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TTP said:
I noticed that. Why are you pointing that out tho? Does it have an effect on gameplay?

Nope!

Beach Head is really small; Southern Hills is medium-sized; shorter walk from end-to-end than Pyrrhus Rise or Salamun Market.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tempy said:

Alright!

Tempy said:
Beach Head is really small; Southern Hills is medium-sized; shorter walk from end-to-end than Pyrrhus Rise or Salamun Market.

Oh, ok.

These maps come with new trophies like the previous pack right?

Side note: do you know if GG is ever going to unlock the game save? Is that something that could be done a least?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TTP said:
Alright!

Oh, ok.

These maps come with new trophies like the previous pack right?

I don't know that for sure actually, but it seems logical. Isn't there a trophy count limit tho?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'll have to boot kZ1 to see if i'll get these (don't make the 5.99 again please). Is all the shit blowing everywhere going to actually be in the game?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tempy said:
I don't know that for sure actually, but it seems logical. Isn't there a trophy count limit tho?

If there is one, Criterion doesn't seem to bother. They have released tons of DLC for Burnout Paradise with trophies.

KZObsessed

Cagen said:
I was burned by the terrible maps in the first map pack, do I gamble another £5? I've never played the original Killzone so I am not familiar with the maps in question.

Who are you? What's this avatar? Wheres the real Cagen you filthy impostor...

If they're shareable I'll buy em and share with you and Live.

edit: I'll only purchase if there's trophies tho! Which there should be.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
alr1ghtstart said:
I'll have to boot kZ1 to see if i'll get these (don't make the 5.99 again please). Is all the shit blowing everywhere going to actually be in the game?

It plays differently, what with the different mechanics and added cover. You could wait for impressions before buying.

As for the price; I really hope it's free, because I like these 2 maps and I think everybody should experience playing it. No idea what it will actually cost. I could ask, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anyway until it's officially announced :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My lousy internet connection (Im at work) doesnt let me watch the video :/
If they are awesome maps and cost less than the first DLC i may pick it up.

Im only playing against bots and its fun :3
EDIT:The SP Campaign is the best FPS campaign i played on the PS3.

Wollan

Beach!

Aaaaaaa... sooo good.

Also, where's the video? I'm looking at the GA article but nothing (constantly loading though..).

Lince

Banned
Tempy said:
And yes, in Southern Hills an ISA cruiser will shoot down, nuking everybody who isn't inside. This happens every 5 minutes. An alarm goes off, so there's ample warning.

wtf??? seriously? WTFFFF???

JardeL

In the Southern Hills map, the battle takes place around a central Helghast base on top of a hill. The compound is surrounded by smaller structures, creating a level that facilitates close-quarter fights within the built-up areas, as well as long-range shoot-outs in-between them. Ideal for 24 to 32 player games, the base camps in this version have been beefed up considerably, so expect to find more hiding places than in the original Killzone counterpart.
Tempy said:
Southern Hills is medium-sized
Medium-sized and ideal for 24-32 players ?.. :lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
JardeL said:
Medium-sized and ideal for 24-32 players ?.. :lol

Not my words.

It's more open though, so there's less congestion in narrow hallways and small rooms. So, even though area-wise it's smaller than SM and PR, I do think it can handle quite a few players.

Fersis

Beach + Bots was so fun in KZ1. :D
And since the AI is crazy fun in KZ2, its gonna be even better.

EDIT:Im the only one who plays against bots?

TTP said:
We are talking devs which arranged official 32 PLAYERS tournament in Corinth Crossing man.
Chill out good man.

Wollan

That was a friggin hot trailer. Contains the Killzone 1 intro speech as well (appropiate).

The remakes have taken bigger liberties, I have a hard time recognizing the features of the originals. Sand with a huge wall like in the original Beach but the terrain is very different. Rain looks awesome. The background is half-way urban now while original Beach was (seemingly) on the countryside somewhere.

JardeL

Original KZ Beach Head map ;

Beach%20Head.jpg

KZ Southern Hills map ;

Southern%20Hills.jpg

A.R.K

Tempy said:
Nope!

thats good to know..KZ needed more smaller maps (6-10 players) IMO

The new maps look good but I hope there are more fixes coming with it to fix some of the major problems

Also I would really love to see how the KZ engine handles bright colors, clean looking, blue sky, greenery etc. in a map. All these maps and the game itself is dark and dusty (I know its cuz how planet helghan is), but I would like to see some map pack w/o any the dusty muggy look to them (ala crysis). What do you guys think?

Rolf NB

TTP said:
I understand that, but every other game map pack has been delivered like that (at a price and fragmenting community). I don't understand why Killzone 2 should do it differently.
Because Killzone 2 game rooms take an extraordinarily long time to cycle through all game modes on all maps, unlike the rather quick one-off matches you join in, say, Resistance 2 matchmaking. You could be in a game room with your friends for a couple hours and yet "only" see four or five maps.

It makes no sense to disallow a player from joining a room simply because a map they don't own is in rotation. It would make sense to automatically kick the player off the server once that map is actually played. Depending on where in the map cycle the server currently is, they could still play in that room for one or two hours, if they even wish to stay that long, before they'd be forced to leave.

The current mode just means people setting up rooms will avoid placing the DLC maps in the rotation to not lock out players. It also means people joining games together as a group, where some don't have the DLC, will avoid games including DLC maps.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bcn-ron said:
Because Killzone 2 game rooms take an extraordinarily long time to cycle through all game modes on all maps, unlike the rather quick one-off matches you join in, say, Resistance 2 matchmaking. You could be in a game room with your friends for a couple hours and yet "only" see four or five maps.

It makes no sense to disallow a player from joining a room simply because a map they don't own is in rotation. It would make sense to automatically kick the player off the server once that map is actually played. Depending on where in the map cycle the server currently is, they could still play in that room for one or two hours, if they even wish to stay that long, before they'd be forced to leave.

That's more of an issue with how the game handles this stuff really. They need to fix that for sure.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wollan said:
That was a friggin hot trailer. Contains the Killzone 1 intro speech as well (appropiate).

The remakes have taken bigger liberties, I have a hard time recognizing the features of the originals. Sand with a huge wall like in the original Beach but the terrain is very different. Rain looks awesome. The background is half-way urban now while original Beach was (seemingly) on the countryside somewhere.

The terrains of both levels are actually pretty much the same. There's just more details and junk added like containers, sandbags, barbed wire etc. Beach Head does have an additional area where you take pipes leading you into the ground.

YoungHav

Banned
TTP said:
KZ2 should've came with more than 8 maps.

Kuroyume

Banned
There was a quote posted here a week or two ago from one of the KZ2 devs saying they were bringing in more people to make DLC that was their best looking thing yet. Was he talking about these maps?

Firewire

Banned
Man the new pack looks amazing, I really like how it seems to have the feel of the single player campaign just through the visuals.

Day 1 yet again GG!

Top Bottom