• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

These new maps look like the same old KZ2 stuff. Dark, dirty, and gritty. I was hoping for a level in clear daylight. I think the KZ2 engine looks best in that.

Cagen

Tempy said:
And yes, in Southern Hills an ISA cruiser will shoot down, nuking everybody who isn't inside. This happens every 5 minutes. An alarm goes off, so there's ample warning.

So, once again terrible design decisions takes the map pack down to one playable map.

Nizz

Thrakier said:
That said the whole online part of KZ2 feels a bit mushy...it's a mix of the controls (I don't say they are bad, I like what they tried but they could be a bit better still), the lag, the long ass death animations etc. ...yeah, it's fun, but it's not very responsive, especially if you compare it to R2.

Did they change the controls again? I was used to have y-axis one setting higher than x-axis so they are equally fast but for some reason it feels strange now.
I'm probably in the minority, but I wish the controls felt the same online as they do in the single player campaign.

The controls "feel" so much lighter online. I played single player tweaking x sensitivity only (one notch below full). It controlled fine to me. I then hopped online and was like "woah!" I guess I'll just have to use one sensitivity setting for single player, and another for online.

I'm kind of curious to try those new control tweaks.

JardeL

mp12_4.jpg

More screenshots here ; [ http://goonlinegames.net/2009/05/20/first-killzone-2-flash-and-thunder-screenshots/ ] ...

A.R.K

H_Prestige said:
These new maps look like the same old KZ2 stuff. Dark, dirty, and gritty. I was hoping for a level in clear daylight. I think the KZ2 engine looks best in that.

This is what I said on the last page:

"Also I would really love to see how the KZ engine handles bright colors, clean looking, blue sky, greenery etc. in a map. All these maps and the game itself is dark and dusty (I know its cuz how planet helghan is), but I would like to see some map pack w/o any the dusty muggy look to them (ala crysis). What do you guys think? "

GG should really work on something bright clean looking maps and show how the engine renders natural beauty. Or is the engine just not able to render clean bright daylight stuff???? Enough of the dark gritty stuff GG!!!!! :/

hope the map pack comes with a big ass patch to fix some of the shit GG!

Dirtbag

those rain effects are pretty weaksauce.

and boooooo at isa cruiser nuke effects!!

I think I'm done buying mappacks for this game anyway.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh noes, GG is trying to be original and do stuff that other developers dont do..
Guerrila AM FAIL.
T___T

So you guys want to GG make a game that feels and plays different from other FPS meanwhile doing the same kind of levels?
Why people fear change so much is beyond my understanding!
Not really, i understand why but i dont agree

ruxtpin

Banned
I haven't had a chance to play KZ2 in a while, but just downloaded the new maps - but I'm seeing some complaints here. Are the new maps causing the game to crash, thus meaning you lose your save/s? What's going on?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ruxtpin said:
I haven't had a chance to play KZ2 in a while, but just downloaded the new maps - but I'm seeing some complaints here. Are the new maps causing the game to crash, thus meaning you lose your save/s? What's going on?
The crashes has nothing to do with the DLC.
Sad side effect of most games with a heavy online component.

Zen

Banned
The last 2 maps were fantastic (especially Bullet Wasteland that had some very nice strategy to it), so I'll be picking these up! I loved Beach head (Flawed as it was) in KZ1.

I probably won't play Killsone 2 Multiplayer again much until these come out, but I can easilly see another 20 hours added onto my playtime.

Cruzader

Banned
Love the trailer but I see no such thing as retro maps. Not what I expected. I know they were updated to the newer engine but I cant seem to see any similarities from the old maps.

Maybe ill buy, who knows. ATM my bro is playing so I cant play online. Maybe ill hope back after June to see how its doing.

Zen

Banned
Hell yes to the the ISA Cruiser nuke gameplay mechanic, WasteLand Bullet was such a great map for it's train hoping and environmental hazards because it helped add another layer of needed control and structure to the choas.

Just find some servers with Assault turned off and it's all good. I love the multiplayer.

A.R.K said:
This is what I said on the last page:

"Also I would really love to see how the KZ engine handles bright colors, clean looking, blue sky, greenery etc. in a map. All these maps and the game itself is dark and dusty (I know its cuz how planet helghan is), but I would like to see some map pack w/o any the dusty muggy look to them (ala crysis). What do you guys think? "

GG should really work on something bright clean looking maps and show how the engine renders natural beauty. Or is the engine just not able to render clean bright daylight stuff???? Enough of the dark gritty stuff GG!!!!! :/

hope the map pack comes with a big ass patch to fix some of the shit GG!

image16.jpg

Would look phenomenal. And even these aren't clear daylight. Still a bit hazy like Radec Academy.

Zen

Banned
I would love to see a Vektan environment that isn't conveniently suffering from a rainstorm or in the middle of the night. Bring back the clear skies from Killzone 1!

Cagen said:
So, once again terrible design decisions takes the map pack down to one playable map.

Don't be so hard on Beachhead just because it doesn't have awesome features like in Wasteland Bullet and Southern Hills that make the game better not worse.

A.R.K

H_Prestige said:
Would look phenomenal. And even these aren't clear daylight. Still a bit hazy like Radec Academy.

fuck yeah..that looks great..where is that from?

Please GG clear blue sky white sand beach with palm trees maps!!!!!

Edit: found these there too

ip74fd.jpg

2mbghs.jpg

how good that blue sky and those bright colors look!

careful

Still waiting for the 'easier to play with friends' patch..
Haven't played for about 3 weeks now. My whole group of friends quit pretty much.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
careful said:
Still waiting for the 'easier to play with friends' patch..
Haven't played for about 3 weeks now. My whole group of friends quit pretty much.

"Soon".

I also wonder where that "other" video is.

Fersis

Hey Tempy dont you get into trouble for telling us stuff? :lol

Who were you guys talking about last night during the Blood Gracht match? It seemed it was me. I think it was Aj and Lyulf talking smack but I never heard any names as to who it was about. Or was it all a joke?

New maps look awesome as well.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
You know, the fact that 1.5 million people have this game makes it nice since there are always full multiplayer games, but what's the deal with the new maps being EMPTY all the time.

Anyone else having that issue? Looks like people aren't forking over money for DLC or they love their original maps.

http://shar.es/1gE6

-viper-

Banned
This map pack should be free to those who bought the Steel and Titanium packs. Seriously, £5 for two maps is a facking rip off.

FFObsessed said:
PS3 froze and corrupted my save data again.

Oh Guerrilla Games, you so awesome. You so awesome.
You've got your platinum. What differences does it make?

10dollas

Banned
Fersis said:
It means more goodness is in the works. Hopefully non-map related.

June 11th release isn't too far away. I Like speedy map delivery. More Developers should follow suit. Of course that begs to question, if they are able to produce maps at this rate, Why couldn't they have adjusted the release date or done something to include more than just 8 maps in the retail package...

Rolf NB

dorkimoe said:
their killing this game

releasing new maps this much does nothing but split up the community
It actually provided a big spike in weekly active players. If they are using that as their benchmark, they can't really view the first map pack as anything but a success.

KZObsessed

-viper- said:
This map pack should be free to those who bought the Steel and Titanium packs. Seriously, £5 for two maps is a facking rip off.

You've got your platinum. What differences does it make?

Because I was replaying the SP and now I have to start again...

But sure it's ok for a game to corrupt your save data on more than 1 occasion!

Maps are $5.99
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/20/killzone-2-flash-and-thunder-pack-arriving-on-june-11/
Killzone 2 “Flash and Thunder” Pack Arriving on June 11

Posted by TJ Consunji // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Killzone 2 fans!

As we hinted way back at GDC, the next Killzone 2 DLC goes “retro” with the release of the “Flash and Thunder” pack arriving after E3. Here’s a sneak peek as to what you can expect.

Guerrilla Games takes us back on a nostalgic journey with fan favorites from the first Killzone: Beach Head and Southern Hills. Both levels have been completely re-envisioned with the Killzone 2 engine and technology.

In Beach Head, the Helghast land on the sandy Vektan beaches forcing the ISA to defend their stronghold. Torrential rain and gale-force winds batter the landscape, with the water-filled craters supplying only limited cover. This harsh terrain requires you to keep your “head on a swivel” as enemies lurk around every corner.

Killzone 2 - Beach Head

Southern Hills takes the battle to a central Helghast base camp located on a hilltop. This version has been beefed up considerably over the original Killzone counterpart, with smaller structures offering plenty of hiding places that lend itself well to close quarters combat and long range sniping. Take cover when you hear alarms going off, as there might be a radioactive surprise headed your way.

Killzone 2 - Southern Hills

This pack will be available on the PlayStation Network on June 11th for $5.99. Also, a new Killzone 2 patch is coming next week, so stay tuned to the Blog for more details.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ergo said:
So what are you playing instead?

Mainly Demon's Souls. But I also had quite a few trophies waiting to be unlocked in some other games. So I dedicated myself to digital penis enlargement.

Pallaris

Maps look sick and all...but damn, I think i'll wait for the inevitable map pack combo and save some chips.

Plus, hopefully the upcoming patch sorts out overall netcode cause it's crap.

Fersis

Wow, that look amazing. (And more interesting than the first DLC)
Sadly too expensive for me so i pass.

TheFatOne

user friendly said:
Who were you guys talking about last night during the Blood Gracht match? It seemed it was me. I think it was Aj and Lyulf talking smack but I never heard any names as to who it was about. Or was it all a joke?

Can you be more specific. Initially I think it was AJ and me just talking smack to each other, but be more specific so that I can tell you for sure.

user friendly said:

it wasnt about you but yea dont take anything we say seriously it was just me,lyulf,and capt_mhead calling each other names, the usual:lol

Top Bottom